Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Your vassal should grow increasingly loyal as time passes. They should also be rebuilding their lost ships given time. As for fleet cap, make sure you build up your spaceports. You can also grab an Ascension perk that gives you 200 fleet cap, which can be hugely useful, but keep in mind that your REAL cap is always what you can afford to maintain, not just the cap number.

Expansion was the right course, grab anything you can, unless you have certain mods it's not really possible for expansion to cost you beyond the short term. That said if you can't go any wider, build tall, habitats can make a big difference in tipping the balance, as you can turn them towards any resources you need barring unity, and though you can't build spaceports at one, the pops will still help your fleet cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I've been building buildings on planets based on what resources are on the tiles. Is that the right move or should I hyper specialize and just have an ENERGY PLANET or something?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Artificer posted:

I've been building buildings on planets based on what resources are on the tiles. Is that the right move or should I hyper specialize and just have an ENERGY PLANET or something?

That's the right move initially, I think.

But if a planet has a modifier to energy or minerals, the best way to take advantage of it is to hyper-specialize. Typically, if a planet has Beltharian stone, for example, I end up turning it into ENERGY PLANET.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Artificer posted:

Gets asked like every other page, I think the wisdom is follow the tile resources early, then later you can specialize, and should if a given planet has a modifier that gives a bonus to one resource. Specialization is absolutely the way to go if you're doing robo/gene modding, as (unless as a machine empire you already have specialized pops on every tile) the finest granularity you can geet for modding pops is on a per-planet basis. So have a planet of mine drones, a planet of energy drones, a planet of livestock etc

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/922731570838097920

What I can spot:

Separate tab for starports
Separate Navy cap / Starbase cap
A cap on FLEET SIZE? :stare:

Also possibly a new HP bar below shields - armor?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh hey. I must have missed it. As long as they don't rebel for 10 years the disloyalty of my vassal won't be a problem. It will be good to get more planets that way, and a species capable of colonizing wet planets.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Just got wardec'd by a neighbor with a superior fleet. How dead am I?? I have tons and tons of minerals and a lot of bases able to churn out ships, I assume I should start doing that and hope for the best?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

canepazzo posted:

What I can spot:

System begins surveyed also + 3 stations already built.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 24, 2017

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There's plenty of engineering on uranus.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ship caps per fleet are a good move, and so long as the AI has been changed up so it doesn't just blob all it's fleet together anyway, that'll probably go a long way towards making war more dynamic.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
We'll see. I wonder what they're going to do to fix the obvious workaround of "just crowd together several fleets," not just for the AI, but for the player.

I guess you could give a penalty to combat ability if more than one fleet is involved in a given combat...

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

What I can spot:

This does look ace - I assume armour penetrating weapons will now strip off an amount of armour instead.

Really want to know how fleet size limits are going to work. Possibly some sort of warp-in mechanic for excess ships, a la SOTS. This would work really well with new centralised starports, as it would give a clear advantage to the defender and hopefully reduce lategame slowdown from displaying massive fleets.

Wonder if starbase cap is per upgrade level or per base; i.e. you can have lots of small starbases or a few big ones, but not both.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Strudel Man posted:

We'll see. I wonder what they're going to do to fix the obvious workaround of "just crowd together several fleets," not just for the AI, but for the player.

I guess you could give a penalty to combat ability if more than one fleet is involved in a given combat...

To be fair, even if you do blob them up there's still plenty of other worries
a. Having a decent admiral per fleet
b. FTL bottlenecks (especially wormholes which can only move one fleet at once)
c. General micro and timings (please add estimated FTL travel times on hover to a system :smith:)

Sure if everything happens to be in the same system already in a blob and they all have the same thrusters they'll blob, but otherwise forcing the split is gonna incur a lot of changes to the state of play

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Strudel Man posted:

Well, ideally an AI that uses it's fleets as separate entities will be what forces you not to blob your own - sure, you can beat anything you run into with sheer numbers, but can also only be in one or two places at once and those rear end in a top hat space birds you declared on now have five or six little raiding forces wrecking your economy. Really, creating an AI that broke it's ships up into separate forces was the big thing, and a ship cap just helps enforce that as opposed to being a solution by itself.

The Stellaris devs aren't stupid though, so I'm sure they have some sort of system in place.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The fleet cap probably works in practice too. So if you have 30 ships in a fleet with a level 3 admiral you get optimal bonuses. If you stack another identical fleet on top of it you get no bonuses because only one admiral can be counted at the same time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

If they manage to fix the whack-a-mole gameplay I'd have about 95% of my game issues taken care of. Not sure how tho.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

The fleet cap probably works in practice too. So if you have 30 ships in a fleet with a level 3 admiral you get optimal bonuses. If you stack another identical fleet on top of it you get no bonuses because only one admiral can be counted at the same time.

Perhaps the cap is soft and admiral bonuses are now more important - if you go over the cap theit bonus is reduced proportionately.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I really hope the fleet cap goes way up when you have an admiral assigned (and grows with admiral level) so just throwing leaderless fleets at the problem is really inefficient. There are tons of cool gameplay and flavor opportunities when having more admirals actually matters (governments/civics that increase how many admirals you have vs how much individual admirals contribute, being able to go hard on military power by spending your leader cap on admirals instead of governors, etc.).

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'd love a "no admiral-less" fleets too, like science ships ceasing to function without scientists; might be too harsh in case of death tho.

Also, make it so admirals can sometimes defect with part/all of their fleets depending (do you choose the good admiral, or the admiral with same ethics as you?)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

canepazzo posted:

What I can spot:

Worth noting that the base is built at the star, not planet.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Something to note is, a fleet size cap effectively buffs tall science focused empires while nerfing wide empires (unless it's a fraction of your total fleet cap) since you can fit for firepower in the same fleet cap.

If individual fleet size cap is a factor of total fleet size max however this could provide an unbeatable advantage to an an empire with a larger fleet cap.

Like for instance, you get the +200 fleet cap assention perk and suddenly you can for 2-3x the number of ships in your fleet as all your neighbors and can win any battle without any change to composition by simply being able to blob better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canepazzo posted:

its_happening.gif :woop:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wiz went on to answer a question (sort of):

https://twitter.com/Sciira_Mestraal/status/922801152596553728
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/922802016891662336
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/922802097359290368

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
My main take away from this is lol rip "wide" empires if starport limiting is both a thing and still governs your ship cap.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

My main take away from this is lol rip "wide" empires if starport limiting is both a thing and still governs your ship cap.

It could scale off of the number of planets you control, making wide empires THE way to gain more starports and thus ship cap.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Given how moving fleets around systems currently works I'm a bit worried that it's going to end up being as fun as trying to fight multiple small armies in Siberia in EU4. By the time you see the enemy move to another province/system it's already way too late to do anything. I guess blanketing your entire empire with FTL snares near the star is going to be mandatory? I'd love to be wrong but I'm a cynical moron.

Stellaris combat width please? :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nitrousoxide posted:

It could scale off of the number of planets you control, making wide empires THE way to gain more starports and thus ship cap.
Scaling off systems would would slightly reduce the unbelievable advantage multi-planet systems currently hold. Might even make a two planet starting scenario doable.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

FTL snares should probably work like Homeworld and have a radius around them that causes any ship passing through it to drop out on top of it, so instead of having to build ten snares for ten nearby stars you would just build one that covered all of them.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Considering you can still control multiple fleets at the same time by just assigning them to the same command group all this change will really do is force you to spend more influence assigning admirals, or just leaving fleets without.

Also, the computer is much more adept than a human at commanding small groups of things across multiple locations simultaneously so if you enjoyed playing whack-a-mole before then good news! But hey, people wanted a reason to use smaller fleets.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Considering you can still control multiple fleets at the same time by just assigning them to the same command group all this change will really do is force you to spend more influence assigning admirals, or just leaving fleets without.

Also, the computer is much more adept than a human at commanding small groups of things across multiple locations simultaneously so if you enjoyed playing whack-a-mole before then good news! But hey, people wanted a reason to use smaller fleets.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/922802097359290368

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I want HOI IV fronts and battleplans in Stellaris!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

I trust you guys to think through the changes but if arbitrary fleet caps are anything like all the games that have come before it will just be a matter of taking the same number of ships, arranging them into more groups and ramming them into the same target anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Say the words "automated patrols" and I won't complain about anything for at least two weeks. Maybe three.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I suppose you could also limit the number of ships allowed in a system to prevent just a chain of smaller fleets trailing each other.

Of course this would provide a huge advantage to whichever side of the system the battle is closest too for warp-in's and would probably make moving your own fleets around your empire kind of a pain (oh you need to move your main fleet at system support cap over to help with this fight but there's a smaller fleet of yours in the way, forcing you to first move the smaller fleet before you can move the bigger fleet to actually engage)

They could also require an admiral for each fleet in order to fight, though i could see this really loving over empires if they loose their admiral and have no points to get a new one, and effectively become unable to fight at all.

I don't really see what fleet size caps really do that any other solution wouldn't do better, like a width cap in actual fights.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I trust you guys to think through the changes but if arbitrary fleet caps are anything like all the games that have come before it will just be a matter of taking the same number of ships, arranging them into more groups and ramming them into the same target anyway.
Worked in SotS.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't really see what fleet size caps really do that any other solution wouldn't do better, like a width cap in actual fights.
I'm hoping that's what this actually is. A soft per-fight cap set to the highest fleet cap in the fight. Again, that's how SotS did it. You could slam as many fleets as you wanted into a fight but everything beyond the highest participating fleet cap was subject to the same limitations as a single fleet.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It could be that the per-fleet cap is tied to admirals, and the admirals are now mandatory for fleets. Then since there's a limit on how many scientists/governors/admirals you can have anyway, it becomes a balance choice of whether the player wants to lose out on governor bonuses to planets and put all their government officials into admiral slots to boost their fleet size, or have a very governor-heavy empire that can't field a large fleet. I never felt like the bonuses from officials were that huge though, so maybe they would be beefed up to make those choices more meaningful.

I think artificially splitting big stacks in two by having a "only 10 ships per fleet, only 1 fleet per system" kind of limit wouldn't make combat more interesting, honestly. It would just mean having smashing the two halves of my giant stack of ships into the enemy's two halves.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Red Bones posted:

It could be that the per-fleet cap is tied to admirals, and the admirals are now mandatory for fleets. Then since there's a limit on how many scientists/governors/admirals you can have anyway, it becomes a balance choice of whether the player wants to lose out on governor bonuses to planets and put all their government officials into admiral slots to boost their fleet size, or have a very governor-heavy empire that can't field a large fleet. I never felt like the bonuses from officials were that huge though, so maybe they would be beefed up to make those choices more meaningful.

I think artificially splitting big stacks in two by having a "only 10 ships per fleet, only 1 fleet per system" kind of limit wouldn't make combat more interesting, honestly. It would just mean having smashing the two halves of my giant stack of ships into the enemy's two halves.

Yeah but what happens if your admiral dies mid-war and you can't replace immediately?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Worked in SotS.
I'm hoping that's what this actually is. A soft per-fight cap set to the highest fleet cap in the fight. Again, that's how SotS did it. You could slam as many fleets as you wanted into a fight but everything beyond the highest participating fleet cap was subject to the same limitations as a single fleet.

Yeah, I'm hoping that it uses the SOTS model. It would make tactical combat a little more meaningful, and opens the door for exciting techs that pop out your ships straight by the star. It also means thrusters will be incredibly important.

It should also mean that late game fights aren't suddenly a slideshow.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Red Bones posted:

The problem with this is, if you loose your admiral and have no points to buy another you have literally no defense at all. I really hope this is not their solution because it would be a bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

They know that just limiting ships per fleet won't fix anything and the wailing/ gnashing of teeth over a screenshot of "3/10" with no context auto extrapolating to "admiral = fleet size" and related limitations is pretty funny.

• Locked thread