Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Copper For Lyfe posted:

how do you forget about patty mills

I was originally thinking about people I'm excited about, Patty is the best but I feel like I know what player he is at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

EoinCannon posted:

I was originally thinking about people I'm excited about, Patty is the best but I feel like I know what player he is at this point

Speaking of Patty, I love him as a spurs fan, but I feel like the organization over paid for him. Once Tony Parker comes back all of the minutes at the point are going to be eaten by Manu, Parker, and Murray. Seems like a lot to be paying a guy who won't actually see the court much after December.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

RaySmuckles posted:

3) dejounte murray. i wasn't so sure about this guy. but now i'm really sure about this guy. he does everything, including being a vocal leader. we had a good chuckle after lamarcus' tech when murray was walking him away. pop came over to say it was all good, and dejounte (lightly) pushed him away as if to say "i got this." the kid has balls and wants to be great. he had 15 rebounds at point guard and something similar in points. lowery went hard at him all night and murray showed some serious poise for a 20 year old. very impressive.

My Boy Dejounte played great. I loved when he hit Lowry with a baseline spin into a layup, then tried the same spin a couple possessions later. 16/14/6, and he held Lowry to 8 points.

I think another takeaway is Lauvergne's offensive rebounding. He's been grinding in these first few games.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Frustrated posted:

Speaking of Patty, I love him as a spurs fan, but I feel like the organization over paid for him. Once Tony Parker comes back all of the minutes at the point are going to be eaten by Manu, Parker, and Murray. Seems like a lot to be paying a guy who won't actually see the court much after December.

Patty doesnt have to play the point, he'll come off the bench to score. At the 2016 olympics delly played point and patty was 2nd to only Melo i think for ppg. Forbes will be the one to lost court time.

Copper For Lyfe fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 24, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Tony Parker is washed

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Even when Parker does return he's going to be eased in minutes wise so I don't see Patty's role just completely evaporating. Plus he is pretty much guaranteed playoff burn for his shooting and ability to get hot even if Murray has a great year.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/geoff_calkins/status/922654024138133505

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Away all Goats posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this

https://streamable.com/emmfh

the little "i know im doing something hosed up" point

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

straight up brolic posted:

Fultz is hurt, he’s said that he’s hurt the coaches have said that he’s hurt. He hasn’t shot from beyond 15 feet that I’ve seen

So why is he playing? Sixers have not had problems letting rookies heal. There are injuries that you can play through and not aggravate, but shoulder injuries? To the point where you are changing your shot?

I think the criticism isn't on just Fultz, but the whole situation. Something is messed up.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Grizz are 3-0 and have beaten Golden State and Houston. They weren’t fluke wins either, Memphis has looked legit in all their games. Excellent defense as usual, but with more offense than they’ve had maybe ever. Marc has played like an All-Star, the bench has been unreal, and Dillon Brooks is looking like a great second round pick. Even Moonface has looked decent. I’m excited to see where the team goes from this.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Grizzle up bitch

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Marcus Morris out another week. Ugh

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

woke up and changed my mind. Raptors suck. That game was easily winnable, the Spurs turned it over a million times and Aldridge played well for like 6 minutes. loving starters need to get it together and Lowry should start showing up.

Also, in response to our earlier discussions about us all being degenerates I decided to keep a spreadsheet this season of all the basketball I watch. It has the date, the hours, the best player, and any weird notes (for instance, "Fat Turkish Klay" from game 1). I'm going to try to keep it up all season just so I can track what type of brain disease I have. I encourage others to follow.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Since the Sixers are trying to win instead of tank maybe they're trying to save face and not have a top three pick miss the entire season for the fourth year in a row.

It's a dumb reason but the only one I can think of that makes even a little sense.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Jordan Bell is awful you guys are nuts

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I feel like this year the Sixers are going to pick up a ton of second and third-team fans because of Benbiid. The two of them are just so dang good and fun.

Want to see Simmons become more of a dog on D and try to help more from the weak side which seems conspicuously absent from his defensive efforts.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dokmo posted:

That was a fun dunk tho

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Since the Sixers are trying to win instead of tank maybe they're trying to save face and not have a top three pick miss the entire season for the fourth year in a row.

It's a dumb reason but the only one I can think of that makes even a little sense.

Maybe his playmaking/defense are that good, I dunno.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Chairchucker posted:

That was a fun dunk tho

I'm a professional, basketball isn't fun.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

zoux posted:

Do you guys in other states have NBA players doing commercials for your regional businesses or are the Spurs HEB commercials unique

Late, but everyone should watch Hedo Turkoglu's. It even features Phoenix Suns coach Jay Triano!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ctTrUUR5M

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I always say this but imagine how talented you have to be at basketball to be that lazy/out of shape and still play big minutes in the NBA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

BWV posted:

I always say this but imagine how talented you have to be at basketball to be that lazy/out of shape and still play big minutes in the NBA.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/hedo-turkoglu-suspended-20-games-failing-steroids-test-010304783--nba.html

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So the coach as LSU has to be one of the worst Basketball coaches in history to have a lovely team with Ben Simmons on the roster, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DJ had a good line last night but this was the most impressive thing he did
https://streamable.com/urqsi

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Away all Goats posted:

lmao what the gently caress is this

https://streamable.com/emmfh

CRISPYBABY posted:

Jesus christ seriously? The loving ego to ruin a pass, and then point down the court and tell the team that it was their turn over.

It's the correct call. For deflection purposes ref counts as part of the court.

Like everyone else watching the play there he expected Harden to slip it in to Capela and he was angling for a better view. Really shoulda been a step or two back tho.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dokmo posted:

Showboating when you are up 30 is 2nd only to showboating when you are down 30.

dokmo posted:

I'm a professional, basketball isn't fun.

You are 300 years old.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dokmo posted:

basketball isn't fun.

Are you a Bulls fan?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
14 rebounds in 28 minutes for a point guard :psyduck:

also, don't call him DJ. That doesn't even make sense.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Showboat forever please. Shawn Kemp owned.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tae posted:

14 rebounds in 28 minutes for a point guard :psyduck:

also, don't call him DJ. That doesn't even make sense.

Mods Tae is telling me how to say players names

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Lockback posted:

So why is he playing? Sixers have not had problems letting rookies heal. There are injuries that you can play through and not aggravate, but shoulder injuries? To the point where you are changing your shot?

I think the criticism isn't on just Fultz, but the whole situation. Something is messed up.

He's not even just changing his shot, he literally won't shoot the ball outside of 10 feet even if he catches it wide open. He's getting the ball completely open a decent amount when he's on the court so if he we are going to say he isn't hurt then we're saying he's too terrified or mentally messed up right now to even attempt to shoot the ball from the outside at all. He's doing other things well when he's on the court and showing some promise attacking the basket, even if he keeps getting blocked over and over and over and I'm sure he'll get right eventually but for the time being if he and Brown both have said he has a shoulder issue I'll believe them until it comes out otherwise.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The fact that the Spurs trusted a 20 year old rookie with 15 minutes per game in the playoffs last year should've been enough for anybody to know Dejounte's a star in the making :colbert:

BWV posted:

Jacky Purtel is actually good at basketball and I was a fool for comparing him to Psycho T last year. #notallwhites

The Raptor starters are still struggling with any offensive rhythm. At least the bench is looking awesome and the motion stuff really suits them.

I think Jackie Puddles is Euro though so he's not really White.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
There is something comforting and reassuring about the Grizzlies being good, like coming home after a long day.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/922834477491027969

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/922835070355943425

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ben Simmons has a real shot to be as good as Ralph Sampson.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Boogie one was rescinded and he received just a fine instead, thank you very much! And it was due to his reaction to a fan, not the team. :colbert:

Seriously, though, I'm love this start for the Grizzlies. Go non-Texas SW Division teams!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha Embiid

https://twitter.com/its_whitney/status/922805657526562816

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

So the coach as LSU has to be one of the worst Basketball coaches in history to have a lovely team with Ben Simmons on the roster, right?

He did get fire for it after either that season or the next. He literally could not control his players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jota posted:

He's not even just changing his shot, he literally won't shoot the ball outside of 10 feet even if he catches it wide open. He's getting the ball completely open a decent amount when he's on the court so if he we are going to say he isn't hurt then we're saying he's too terrified or mentally messed up right now to even attempt to shoot the ball from the outside at all. He's doing other things well when he's on the court and showing some promise attacking the basket, even if he keeps getting blocked over and over and over and I'm sure he'll get right eventually but for the time being if he and Brown both have said he has a shoulder issue I'll believe them until it comes out otherwise.

I think most people here believe he's hurt though. Like Lockback said, the actual question is why are they playing him when he is very obviously hurt?

Paul Zuvella posted:

He was real bad. Simmons did seem to noticeably fall off later in the year though too. He stopped really trying on defense (which isn't unusual for young players, but still) and didn't seem to know how to respond when everyone figured out he wouldn't shoot outside the paint and started sagging off him to a comical degree.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread