Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Eh it was an unclear question to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Probably there's something to look into re when location shoots started becoming mainstream

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Steve Yun posted:

When did movies stop looking like they were shot on stages and start looking like they were shot in the real life?

This doesn't answer your question but it's something that came up when we watched How to Marry a Millionaire last night as it used sets for most shots. Even when they were out on a balcony it was a set and the city behind them was a backdrop. There were shots that were outside in what was supposed to be snowy Maine but the funny catch there was that it was obvious that the people in the scene were just stand-ins being dubbed over. Their faces were either away from us or too far away. The actors were only ever used in sets.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i vaguely remember reading some clickbait listicle that said Nosferatu was the first movie filmed on location

definitely bullshit, but it gives an upper limit to when it began

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If I was feeling pedantic, I might point out that L'arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat (1896) by the Lumière brothers was indeed filmed at La Ciotat. :eng101:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The Great Train Robbery has the shootout in the woods that looks pretty real

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ynohtna posted:

If I was feeling pedantic, I might point out that L'arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat (1896) by the Lumière brothers was indeed filmed at La Ciotat. :eng101:

haha but was it a movie though?

idk the defintion but at least there wasnt a narrative. id put it into the same box as like Edison's random wax cylinders & that guy who bullettimed a gallopping horse. Super interesting & i love them but they aren't movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The short answer (which will quickly become a long answer) is that, for a long time, people didn't go to the movies for realistic sets. Broadway and New York theater in general was a huge cultural influence for the first few decades of the 20th century, so stageyness was expected, accepted, and sometimes preferred, particularly in the depression when movies were a form of escapism and stylistic flourishes were part of the art form. There was also the issue of changes in film itself - silent movies got really wild in the years before sound, then movies had to settle down again because sound was cumbersome, and then color came along and that was cumbersome as well. Three-strip technicolor required huge amounts of light, which introduced its own stageyness because it meant big, bright lights shining every which way, creating theatrical shadows and cross-lighting. This is also why technicolor movies look so vivid and shimmering (somewhere you can find Anna Biller discussing her lighting of The Love Witch where she talks about overlighting to create the lurid 60s effect) - light, light, and more light.

So you have escapism, the difficulty capturing sound, and a lot of light, which adds up to a need for control and a preference for a cohesive artistic vision over a realistic representation of day-to-day life. There were films that strove for realism, but most of those were done with significant theatricality (How Green Was My Valley, for example, or most noir films), which is why Italian neorealism was a big deal - though shooting in someone's kitchen was becoming more practical, in American cinema it just wasn't done.

So the really short answer is that nobody cared until the Europeans went through hell, and then it became en vogue to make movies look realistic, because now realism = art. Basically, around the 1970s.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 21, 2017

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

I think I read somewhere that older cameras/film required more light, so any "night" scenes had to be filmed on a stage so they could blast the scene with lighting. This is also why you see way more "day for night" scenes in older films. As the technology got better, they were able to use less light and gradually get away from sets more.

Look up how much extra effort it took to get those deep-focus shots in Citizen Kane, or the famous candle lenses for Barry Lyndon...

Edit: beaten, but yes, color film required more light than B&W, so those old noir films (which wanted a dark look anyway) were easier to make, from a DP's perspective.

BrewingTea fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 21, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx for the writeup Magic Hateball.

i remember reading that there was a critical backlash at first against the "mumbly" continental-inspired New Hollywood movies. obv it didnt take and thank god for that, but imagine Raging Bull as a chamber play

nevermind actually. i would go see that

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I vividly remember a review of one of Altman's early 70s films where his style was dismissed as "like watching soup boil".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

haa

probably theres a lot of hot takes in movie reviews

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I might be wrong, but I think Von Stroheim's Greed was shot mostly on location, if not entirely.

Abel Gance also stuck to actual locations or realistic sets for La Roue and Napoleon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My favourite use of overtly theatrical sets in a movie are from Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters. Which has some really gorgeous stylised sets in the parts of the film that are based on books and plays while the parts bars on real life are poo poo like a gritty political thriller for the part set in the 70s and a black and white realist parts for the parts set around WW2.

My favourite part is a scene where a revolutionary fascist cell is huddled in a tiny room planning an assassination. The room is represented by a small box with no roof and a huge area of darkness around it. When the police raid the meeting and the plan starts to fall apart the walls of the room literally collapse.

I'll try to find some pics when I get home and aren't phone posting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for all the info guys.

Just watched 400 Blows and something that struck me was how "stagey" half of the indoor shots were, and how "real" the other half were. Stagey scenes appeared to have generous stage lighting and static cameras, realistic scenes had natural lighting and a moving camera (like when the kid is stealing the typewriter)

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010
There was a weird thing with BBC stuff where all interior shooting was done on video an the exteriors were shot on film. Which to modern eyes can be very jarring. This was BBC policy from the 30's up until the 80's.

Monty Python even did a sketch about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-kfRREA8M&t=138s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Those sitcoms were all shot with U-Matic, an early form of video, which was practical and cheap to use on television stages because everything was wired and connected and designed for it, but actually taking all that stuff outdoors would've been a nightmare, whereas a 16mm camera could be stuck on any old tripod and moved all over the place at a moment's notice and didn't require as much intensive lighting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Purple Gromit posted:

There was a weird thing with BBC stuff where all interior shooting was done on video an the exteriors were shot on film. Which to modern eyes can be very jarring. This was BBC policy from the 30's up until the 80's.

Monty Python even did a sketch about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f-kfRREA8M&t=138s

lmao such a great bit

Also exterior wide shots were often easily identifiable up till like the 1980s. Like clearly a different film stock from some helicopter looping around.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What was the first movie in American theaters to have an F bomb?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GORDON posted:

I know it's not MASH, but MASH was like the dirtiest film ever when it came out because of how often it was used.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Was it Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Was it Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Does that have an F Bomb? I should rewatch it.

At some point I want to do a dramatic reading of the play with 3 friends, while getting progressively drunker. Probably need to either gender swap the roles or have two guys as one couple and two women as the other just to not permanently damage our friendship.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

GORDON posted:

Stackexchange has a thread about this: https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/16532/what-is-the-first-appearance-of-the-f-bomb-in-a-movie

quote:

It was an intentional use of the word in two Warner Bros. films, both in 1933. Bosko, the cartoon, pretty clearly says, "The dirty gently caress!" in Bosko's Picture Show.

The movie Gold Diggers of 1933 has character actor Guy Kibbee sitting down talking to Warren William. Kibbee reminisces about a love he had some years back. He said, "She always called me Fucky...I don't know why, but she called me Fucky. Even if he was saying Vucky or Vuckie, with no hard emphasis on the V, it would sound like Fucky". And it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KVkGReG2N4

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Not f-bombs, but Edgar Kennedy says "Oh poo poo!" in the 1929 Laurel & Hardy comedy Perfect Day and there's a lot of profanity in Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels (1930).

I've spotted a few silent films where they clearly said profanities. I haven't seen it, but 1928's What Price Glory has Goodfellas-level amounts of profanity if you're a lip reader. The 1927 film The Beloved Rogue has a scene where John Barrymore clearly says "Son of a bitch!"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, when did stages start selling the illusion of being the real life? Was it a piece of technology, was it decisions in lighting? Is there a range of years when there was a marked difference? What were some of the earliest films to sell the illusion?

I'll ask a more specific question in the same ball park then.

What are the different techniques for filming driving scenes (inside the car) and what are the determining factors for making each one of them look good?

The simple answer would have been "Green screen looks poo poo, real life using that towing technique looks good" but I've been surprised to learn about some driving scenes that look really good that were filmed on a stage. That simple answer also doesn't account for other techniques that might exist (I'm sure there are more).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

In the spirit of the conversation and in honor of this, our four hundred and twentieth page, what's the first depiction of the use of marijuana on film?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

In the spirit of the conversation and in honor of this, our four hundred and twentieth page, what's the first depiction of the use of marijuana on film?

Earliest mention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjdETBXwDo8

Earliest usage I'm aware of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKbQh_3JOhw

Also it cracks me up that they started enforcing code literally a month after Murder at the Vanities' positive mention of weed, which is why we got "weed is evil" as the first depictions of weed use in Marihuana and Reefer Madness

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 24, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cab Calloway performs "Reefer Man" in International House (1933)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCUDxgYMdxI&t=12s

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of fake versus real, I always found it weird that the more cameras you use, the faker and cheaper it looks (three camera versus a single camera). I know it has nothing to do with the number of cameras, but how you use them but it used to confuse me that movies were 1 camera, whereas the crappiest looking episode of Mama's Family was 3.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Krispy Wafer posted:

Speaking of fake versus real, I always found it weird that the more cameras you use, the faker and cheaper it looks (three camera versus a single camera). I know it has nothing to do with the number of cameras, but how you use them but it used to confuse me that movies were 1 camera, whereas the crappiest looking episode of Mama's Family was 3.

When you use multiple cameras, you have to light it so shots from each camera is lit well, which leads to kind of even, shadowless lighting, which looks "unnatural" to a lot of people. That is the distinctive look of multicamera shows.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Cab Calloway performs "Reefer Man" in International House (1933)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCUDxgYMdxI&t=12s

:argh: done in by Encyclopedia Souse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Minnie the Moocher is also in part about doing drugs though opiates and coke rather than weed. Smokey is said to be "cokey" and he takes Minnie to chinatown to teach her how to "kick the gong around" i.e. smoke opium.

Also the Betty Boop short based on it is really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_jqqJ-77xs

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Single cam TV comedies really bug me with the "over the shoulder view of one person having a conversation with another" shot because 90% of the time it's super obvious the person with their back to the camera isn't an active part of the conversation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that over shoulder view always sucks, one of those things you don’t care about until you notice it then you see it every time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Looten Plunder posted:

Single cam TV comedies really bug me with the "over the shoulder view of one person having a conversation with another" shot because 90% of the time it's super obvious the person with their back to the camera isn't an active part of the conversation.

I see this all the time in one-on-one interviews. I don't need to see the interviewer nodding and smiling.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In my experience those shots are purely there to cover up cuts. Like if you wanna create a dramatic pause or cut out a word or two without it being obvious.

Weird jumpcuts might actually be favourable to most of those shots.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They should just cut to a rock-hard throbbing dick every time they need coverage.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My disappointment in learning how actors shoot their lines in a single camera environment ranks up there with realizing there was no Santa Claus.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
im sure its been addressed but a weird mid-line camera thing is in TFA when leia is talking to han before he leaves and its like the camera suddenly jump-zooms in towards her a little bit between her words.

what the hell is that? i assume it had something to do with various takes of the same lines but idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Parachute posted:

im sure its been addressed but a weird mid-line camera thing is in TFA when leia is talking to han before he leaves and its like the camera suddenly jump-zooms in towards her a little bit between her words.

what the hell is that? i assume it had something to do with various takes of the same lines but idk
Is that in this video? Because I have no idea what you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbFwvTI0fCU