Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If it gets me further up on the waiting list I don’t care who we sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So what you’re trying to say is black man Colin Kaepernick can’t learn the white man Aaron Rodgers offence?

(Joking aside that summed up what I’ve been thinking all week. Excellent post)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Abugadu posted:

We don't do a read-option offense, we do timing routes with improv secondary reads that rely on long-term chemistry between qb and receiver.

You don't say.

Saints game:

quote:

Hundley’s first start had more to do with legs – his own and Jones’ (131 yards on 17 carries) – than his arm. It was clear from the start that the Packers would take a cautious approach with Hundley. Nine of the first 12 called plays were runs. Later, they called a number of rollout pass plays and even the read-option run play, which Hundley ran at UCLA, and only took a few deep shots down the field.
https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Passing-Opportunities-Limited-in-Brett-Hundleys-First-Start-at-Q-109326111

Prepping for Saints:

quote:

Green Bay runs an RPO look out of shotgun where the quarterback fakes to the running back and fires in a slant behind the linebackers.

There isn’t an actual read there, as the give action is a fake only. But since Green Bay already runs a zone blocking scheme, McCarthy could easily turn that play into a true run/pass option where Hundley can give or make the throw.

Roth suggests Green Bay could also adapt it into a zone read with Hundley as well.

“It’s almost better (to start from no option)” Roth explains.

“I don’t think you have to change up any of the blocking schemes, you just have to give him the read.
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/10/19/16497196/brett-hundley-packers-offense-scheme-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think Kaepernick is better than Callahan even with Callahan's experience with the system but Ted is notoriously stingy about free agents and Fat Mike doesn't seem interested in him at all. This offseason where we signed, what, six free agents? was considered "Incredibly Active" for Ted when it'd be considered a slow offseason for any other team.

It's more likely Ted trades for Eric Reid than he signs Kap.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

If the Packers signed Kap, there'd be bitching and moaning, but if Kap won games, within 2 weeks you'd have overweight white guys with afro picks awkwardly hanging in their stringy, greasy hair raising black power fists to each other as greetings

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LabyaMynora posted:

If the Packers signed Kap, there'd be bitching and moaning, but if Kap won games, within 2 weeks you'd have overweight white guys with afro picks awkwardly hanging in their stringy, greasy hair raising black power fists to each other as greetings

Is this a bad thing?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

iospace posted:

Is this a bad thing?

Nope, it'd be awesome, but my point is that Wisconsinites won't protest/boycott a Packers team that wins. (I was born in Wisconsin and lived there until my mid-20s.)

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LabyaMynora posted:

I want the Lions to win the division as much as anything else, but Colin Kaepernick leading the Green Bay Packers to a Super Bowl victory would be hilarious.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I hope whichever team wins the superbowl has Kaepernick on their roster just for the pissing match when he turns down the trip to the WH.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

We did one read-option play in the game for 8 yards. This is not a retooling of our offense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Abugadu posted:

We did one read-option play in the game for 8 yards. This is not a retooling of our offense.

But it's also not keeping our offense the exact same way that Rodgers would do it, as that is insane and stupid.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

OxySnake posted:

I hope whichever team wins the superbowl has Kaepernick on their roster just for the pissing match when he turns down the trip to the WH.

I think all teams are avoiding the WH for now.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 25, 2017

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

As if we needed any more evidence the Patriots are vile.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

More like Kaep space amirite?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

CharlestheHammer posted:

But it's also not keeping our offense the exact same way that Rodgers would do it, as that is insane and stupid.

"There's no way Colin Kaepernick can effectively run an offense built around the skillset of Aaron Rodgers, which is why we need to stick with Brett Hundley"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...-three-and-outs

quote:

Despite years of unwavering calls for the removal of defensive coordinator Dom Capers from the Green Bay Packers’ fan base, I have stood firm in my belief that there is more to fixing the Packers’ defensive woes than firing the coordinator.

Green Bay has been among the most injury-burdened teams on that side of the ball over the past several seasons and has been playing short-handed with undrafted free agents at notable moments. Should the organization have added bigger pieces in the offseason? Should players be expected to understand their assignments? Should individual position coaches be held more accountable for the development of their players? Those have all been fair questions.

But there becomes a time when excuses are no longer acceptable. In week seven, Green Bay’s defense was about as healthy as it has been all season (only missing one starter in Morgan Burnett). Although New Orleans has a strong offensive attack, the unit still allowed 485 yards of total offense and broke down at key moments. A couple of turnovers each game won’t be able to offset the issue of situational defense.

Dom Capers must go.

This defense has many high draft picks and plenty of talented players (plus multiple Pro Bowlers) on it. The constant is, and has always been, Dom Capers.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...-three-and-outs

Dom Capers must go.

This defense has many high draft picks and plenty of talented players (plus multiple Pro Bowlers) on it. The constant is, and has always been, Dom Capers.

Are you talking about the same Packers team that has played their only good pass rusher out of position on the inside for several years? I don't think that happened because Dom Capers was handed a bunch of talented players to fit his scheme no, quite the opposite. Dom Capers isn't a defensive genius these days but he's adequate. The problem is the roster is sub par besides the hall of fame qb.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
As a lions fan, keep Dom Capers around forever tia

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

As a vikings fan, keep Dom Capers around forever tia

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Are you talking about the same Packers team that has played their only good pass rusher out of position on the inside for several years? I don't think that happened because Dom Capers was handed a bunch of talented players to fit his scheme no, quite the opposite. Dom Capers isn't a defensive genius these days but he's adequate. The problem is the roster is sub par besides the hall of fame qb.

Besides 2014, Matthews hasn't seen that much time at ILB; when he was being played there a lot, he was more productive than when on the edge. He also hasn't been the only productive outside rusher for the last few years (in fact in 2015 and 2016, Peppers and Perry were both more productive than he was on the outside), and his occasional bad habits from years ago like over-committing instead of setting the edge on run plays have become the new normal for him.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm really confused do other teams think Capers is the problem so they want the Packers to keep him, or is the Packers roster so bad that it doesn't matter

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Yes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

No, there is plenty of talent on the Packers defense in every unit. It's just being used incredibly poorly.

Mike Daniels, Matthews, Clinton-Dix were all very good, Matthews' decline aside. Morgan Burnett, Nick Perry, Kenny Clark, and Blake Martinez would start on most teams in the league. Kevin King and Josh Jones show a shitload of promise.

Look at Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde, they were let go and end up performing incredibly well for the Chargers and Bills.

There's absolutely no personnel reason that this defense is one of the worst in the league. It's scheme, and it has been scheme for the past decade and I'm loving sick and tired of Dom Capers getting endless excuses. You do not get to claim that you aren't getting the players you need for your S C H E M E when you've gotten custom-drafted players out of the first three rounds for years and years. If your S C H E M E is too difficult for players to understand, then that's your own loving fault. If your S C H E M E falls apart when players get injured because you can't adjust to the players you have, then that's your own loving fault.

Dom Capers is a loving fraud and the Packers front office is too cowardly/chummy to fire him. Two good years in 2009/2010 absolutely do not justify being dreadful in seven seasons since.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

nerve posted:

I'm really confused do other teams think Capers is the problem so they want the Packers to keep him, or is the Packers roster so bad that it doesn't matter

The problem is that Capers runs a complicated defense with exotic blitz packages. If he has the personnel to run it, it's amazing. If injuries and sub-par drafting mess things up, he cannot adjust to run a simpler defense.
Everytime it's 3rd and a mile, you know Capers sends the blitz, and some WR will be uncovered and pick up 30+ yards as the sack arrives too late.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

As a lions fan, keep Dom Capers around forever tia

I wish I could say this as a Bears fan, but we're the reason he's still employed.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Well that and that 2/4 QBs for the non Packers NFC are garbage any given year.

Also it is pretty easy to be a DC when you can bank on your offense putting up 25+ points a game and just focus on *exotic pressure packages* because the other team will always be playing from behind. (Not applicable to the Playoffs)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The players and Capers can both suck, it isn't an either/or situation.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Capers definitely needs to go but for every Haha 1st round pick he's given, Thompson has also given him the Datone Jones's of the world and drafted a bunch of guys from completely different positions and just expects them to be able to learn new positions and the schemes.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are the Bears fans out in the burbs going to turn on Trubisky after this game or does he get another week?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well they just got the ball back before the 2 minute warning so...

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Well they just got the ball back before the 2 minute warning so...

And then that pick so. . .

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I won't turn on Mitch til I see him with Actual NFL recievers

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dexo posted:

I won't turn on Mitch til I see him with Actual NFL recievers

:same:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Yeah, Trubiski was not the reason they lost that game. The Bears have a receiving corps made up from practice squad guys and the O-Line has Tackles playing Guard. Considering who they played against I'm happy it was as close as it was, even after that heroic TD was some how taken away by the referees.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/924737521283629056

:smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Yeah, Trubiski was not the reason they lost that game. The Bears have a receiving corps made up from practice squad guys and the O-Line has Tackles playing Guard. Considering who they played against I'm happy it was as close as it was, even after that heroic TD was some how taken away by the referees.

Eh, he threw three or four balls that should have been intercepted and flat out missed his receivers really often. I don’t care how good your receivers are, they aren’t going to catch balls that are 7 feet over their head or five yards to the side.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Ugh. Sorry Bears Bros.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

WHOOPS posted:

Ugh. Sorry Bears Bros.

The season was more or less lost when they decided to go with Mike “Neck-based lifeform” Glennon, all this means is a better draft pick to hopefully be used on WRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The MMQB sent a tweet saying "we've removed the image of the injury" and the tweet had a picture of the injury in the preview, and urgh, that's loving nasty looking

• Locked thread