Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Pokemon is one of the worst RPG franchises ever created, I have never finished one pokemon game because the monotony becomes overwhelming after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Acid wouldve been better received if it came out a bit more recently where people tolerate more tabletopish mechanics.

Also RPGs are basically extremely dumbed down wargames. People who think they require brains should try the real strategy games and not story filth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ginette Reno posted:

I think kinda sorta liking Dragon Age 2 is probably my biggest gaming shame. There's quite a bit about it I don't like, but there's enough that intrigues me enough to play it on occasion.

its one of those games i like alot of its concepts and ideas but its flawed in almost every way. i like the qunari and all the religious and political strife. and i hosed the downy elf because she was more interesting the slut pirate roberts, the anime elf and anders. idk. id have to play it again someday.

Jeza posted:

I think criticism of Bioshock 3 is understandably a bit overcooked because it's a massive triple A title, with concomitant massive budget and expectations. The game itself was generally solid and polished because of said budget and massive team, but there are so many niggles and things that could have been done better that they all sort of come together to poison the experience.

People looking for a colourful environment to shoot people in, with a mock-deep plot, won't have been remotely put off by the game. And that's most of the audience in FPS gaming.

Everybody I know who's played it has a sour taste in their mouth about it for one reason or another, but almost all of them completed it regardless. For me, I hated the way the difficulty channelled you into min-max and had almost no latitude for creativity. They keep throwing you cool new tonics, but most are a waste of time. Enemies are bullet sponges and ammo is limited so you wear your headshot pantaloons and bowler hat and use the most efficient tonics.

I distinctly remember getting the power Undertow (or w/e it's called), some kind of Kraken-y power like 85-90% of the way through. And the weakest level just knocks people over. So then maybe it's better to just play through on easy and mess around with all the powers, but then there's no challenge whatsoever, which I don't really enjoy either.

Don't give me cool powers if half of them are just balanced to be trash, game.

from what i heard, the game went through super dev hell for like 5 years and was rebuilt like 4 times. and you can see that clearly. a bunch of stuff like the klan house feel like they were meant to be whole levels but they are just stuck in final game because they felt they had too. the vox were supposed to be a neutral faction(they were also supposed to be "propaganda of the deed" type anarchists who muscled out the other lefties and libs instead of race liberation) towards you and they were supposed to be doing reign of terror type poo poo. instead they just shoot some cops(which you have been doing the whole game) and then they become evil for dumb reasons(even dumber in the dlc) idk. everything just doesnt work. 1 is good because for all its flaws, the world at least feels consistant and everything kinda feels "lived in". infinite feels like movie set.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

i gotta reiterate after playing chrono trigger again:

chrono cross has an amazing soundtrack and a cool battle system wrapped up in a game with its head so far up its own rear end that it becomes a convoluted mess and not even in an interesting way like a Hideo Kojima mess or something like that

how the gently caress do you waste music that good, how

edit: minus the generic battle theme, christ that is loving annoying

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

i gotta reiterate after playing chrono trigger again:

chrono cross has an amazing soundtrack and a cool battle system wrapped up in a game with its head so far up its own rear end that it becomes a convoluted mess and not even in an interesting way like a Hideo Kojima mess or something like that

how the gently caress do you waste music that good, how

edit: minus the generic battle theme, christ that is loving annoying

Is this even unpopular?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Meme Emulator posted:

You should play MGS2 again because its pretty amazing that what sounded like complete loving gibberish gobbeldygook in 2001 makes complete sense in 2017

:agreed:

It's like Infinite Jest predicting the society-destroying effects of Netflix

Sometimes the parts of a work that seem like the most trivial or least coherent end up being the most terrifyingly prescient

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
How long until we find out that Anthem is moving Impact to Canada to avoid American debtors.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

You should play MGS2 again because its pretty amazing that what sounded like complete loving gibberish gobbeldygook in 2001 makes complete sense in 2017
MGS2 was timed so badly. Fans at the time wanted nothing more than a second chapter to MGS1, and Kojima played the meta "the game is playing you card." MGS3 would have pissed fans off too, but doing that then the Raiden SSS story would have made so much more sense to the audiences.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Metal Gear Solid’s story is pretty much pure rear end, but I liked what Kojima was doing with MGS2.

That and Silent Hill 2, I wish more companies gave their developers more creative freedom to gently caress with the narrative a bit. But oh well.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

Is this even unpopular?

you'd be surprised

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

Metal Gear Solid’s story is pretty much pure rear end, but I liked what Kojima was doing with MGS2.

That and Silent Hill 2, I wish more companies gave their developers more creative freedom to gently caress with the narrative a bit. But oh well.

I loved how they have that gameshow sequence in the elevator and none of the characters ever mention it happening

SH2 is good

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
bioshock infinite made me roll my eyes with not letting me throw the baseball at the beginning. But I liked the sexy disney daughter

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Good soup! posted:

I loved how they have that gameshow sequence in the elevator and none of the characters ever mention it happening

Hmm?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah, I don't know but hey this weird rear end box has a poo poo load of ammo in it

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I wrote way too many care-posting words about Bioshock Infinite earlier in the thread, but to summarize, the lack of choice makes it a dud. A pretty dud.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I played through BIOSHOCK INFINITE one time and enjoyed it then never played it again. I cannot believe how many pages itt have been taken up by BIOSHOCK INFINITE discussion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

a bone to pick posted:

I played through BIOSHOCK INFINITE one time and enjoyed it then never played it again. I cannot believe how many pages itt have been taken up by BIOSHOCK INFINITE discussion.

its one of those games that does that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
More like Bioshock FINITE (amount of fun to be had in this mediocre set piece FPS)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Warhammer total war 2 is the most poorly optimized piece of poo poo ever. It looks as good/bad as rome 2 and yet i get half the framerate. The idiots at creative assembly better fix this!!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

Metal Gear Solid’s story is pretty much pure rear end
That's why I love it. It's total crap that is so committed to its own bullshit that it shoots the moon and goes back to being fun and compelling.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Raiden is a better hero than Solid Snake and his character is more dynamic in a single game than Snake was over 5 games and 3-5 clones.

Snake was literally 5 different people and still less interesting than Raiden, and the list of games that pull off a bait and switch like that can be counted on one hand.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I saw all the anger at Shadow of War for loot packs and poo poo but bought the 100 dollar version anyway because I wanted the season pass and the last game was so good. I don't regret it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

these shadow of war games are so stupid, they are mindnumbingly easy in every aspect, your character is super silent stealthy one hit kill unstoppable muderer and the combat has the lowest skill ceiling ever, these games must be designed for people who have played less than 10 video games before. The orc system is dumb and unsatisfying menu driven crap and these lovely unscary orcs just ramble standup at you for like 20 seconds before you can fight them, every cutscene is nearly unwatchably terrible and the protagonist is just lol

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Caesar Saladin posted:

these shadow of war games are so stupid, they are mindnumbingly easy in every aspect, your character is super silent stealthy one hit kill unstoppable muderer and the combat has the lowest skill ceiling ever, these games must be designed for people who have played less than 10 video games before. The orc system is dumb and unsatisfying menu driven crap and these lovely unscary orcs just ramble standup at you for like 20 seconds before you can fight them, every cutscene is nearly unwatchably terrible and the protagonist is just lol

Aka the best video game in the world lmao

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I hate loot crates on principle but I buy Guild Wars 2 chests. It helps keep the game running and all but a few drops are fun quality of life stuff.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Caesar Saladin posted:

You can get some real pain in the rear end orcs that aren't easy at all.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

new phone who dis posted:

You can get some real pain in the rear end orcs that aren't easy at all.

i just beat the game, they can be annoying but they aren't hard in the way that like, a bayonetta bad guy is hard. they're just irritating because 80% of your moves don't work, which is just dumb and unfun.

CHOTSKI
Jul 11, 2017

Um, hehe, I love roleplaying games.
MC Kids for nes is a really good platformer that gets a lot of hate because its a mcdonalds game

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Caesar Saladin posted:

i just beat the game, they can be annoying but they aren't hard in the way that like, a bayonetta bad guy is hard. they're just irritating because 80% of your moves don't work, which is just dumb and unfun.

I like that it makes you back off and have to re-think tactics. It's just difficult in a different way that isn't twitch oriented.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

System Shock 2 is borderline unplayable and ugly even for the time.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CHOTSKI posted:

MC Kids for nes is a really good platformer that gets a lot of hate because its a mcdonalds game

The episodes of AVGN that guest star the musician dude (Spider-Man, Ikari Warriors) are some of the best episodes of the series because the two have a good dynamic.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Battlefront needs to be more technical in the vein of battlefield

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

That's why I love it. It's total crap that is so committed to its own bullshit that it shoots the moon and goes back to being fun and compelling.
This guy gets it. That's the whole appeal of the MGS series.

I'm playing through 5 now and I gotta say I'm not liking what I see so far. It's not really MGS5, it's Peace Walker 2. Keifer Sutherland sucks, David Hayter really made the series, man.

I wanted to see how they could top the insane fever dream that was MGS 4, but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen. Both Solid and Regular Snake became curmudgeon badasses formed by years of trauma, but Solid is irritable(fun) and Regular is just kinda sulky(unfun).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
gently caress Huey

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CHOTSKI posted:

:hf:

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
I think Divinity: Original Sin is bad. There's way too much purple wall-of-text writing in that game, the story and quests are uninteresting and occassionally cliched and the jokes are almost always unfunny. In fact, I find the writing bad overall and remember disliking the dialogue you have with follower NPCs in particular. I've also never liked the cheery, colorful and unpractical art style reminiscent of WoW and the heavily abstracted, cooldown-based combat system, both of which Divinity does. The way you can mix elements and use the environment in combat is an okay gimmick I guess.

I really wanted to like this game because of the sweet co-op multiplayer system. I've tried to play through it several times with a friend, but I just cannot get into it and have to put in effort to keep going until I finally give up.

With this experience in mind I have zero interest in Divinity 2, which is unfortunate because in addition to further improved co-op seems like it has a Dungeon Master/Game Master system similar to what the original Neverwinter Nights used to have. We're sorely lacking for something like that in a modern RPG, but I just cannot get excited over it because of the game it's attached to.

With all the good press and word-of-mouth these games have been getting I feel like an outlier. I think somehow Divinity ended up being the perfect collection of things I don't like in RPGs.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cool Spot was good

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Good soup! posted:

Cool Spot is good

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

lowwayman posted:

I think Divinity: Original Sin is bad. There's way too much purple wall-of-text writing in that game, the story and quests are uninteresting and occassionally cliched and the jokes are almost always unfunny. In fact, I find the writing bad overall and remember disliking the dialogue you have with follower NPCs in particular. I've also never liked the cheery, colorful and unpractical art style reminiscent of WoW and the heavily abstracted, cooldown-based combat system, both of which Divinity does. The way you can mix elements and use the environment in combat is an okay gimmick I guess.

I really wanted to like this game because of the sweet co-op multiplayer system. I've tried to play through it several times with a friend, but I just cannot get into it and have to put in effort to keep going until I finally give up.

With this experience in mind I have zero interest in Divinity 2, which is unfortunate because in addition to further improved co-op seems like it has a Dungeon Master/Game Master system similar to what the original Neverwinter Nights used to have. We're sorely lacking for something like that in a modern RPG, but I just cannot get excited over it because of the game it's attached to.

With all the good press and word-of-mouth these games have been getting I feel like an outlier. I think somehow Divinity ended up being the perfect collection of things I don't like in RPGs.

Act 1 is really lame and it takes incredible patience to master the combat and get to a point in the story where you're not constantly rolling your eyes at diaglogue or cliche fantasy plotting.

It does turn out to be good, but i couldn't blame anyone for not getting very far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Cool Spot was cool