Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

EdEddnEddy posted:

In a way, yes. A reputable rom maker can make a custom rom that's up to date with all the security fixes up to that date. Pure Nexus was pretty good for this in that it was almost more secure than Google themselves because he released a bit after official google, worked out bugs that would be in the latest official release, then release his build that was almost always rock solid. Few other roms compare but some are at least trying.

What device do you have, I might be able to at least give you a recommendation.

One I'm really not hopeful for : my Dell 7840 (8.4" premium-build x86 tablet, abandoned at Marshmallow 5.1)

Others' that I know at least can be brought past 6.0 : the older, good Moto X phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

MKBHD's review, talks about the screen starting at 7:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNis_A6UaI
Doesn't address the claims of grainy display, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Combat Pretzel posted:

Doesn't address the claims of grainy display, though.

Yes he does? (below video links to the time code where he mentions it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvNis_A6UaI&t=740s

His review is a good thing to watch even if you don't care about his opinions as he shoots such high quality video you can get an idea what the screen actually looks like.

His experience and thoughts on the phone mirror mine.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Both are not technically correct, I cannot be an object, me is an object and I is a subject. Even if you could get away with using I in a prepositional phrase in speech, it's certainly not acceptable anywhere with a half decent editor.

You should do some research - this is a frequent subject of debate, and being British I did do some checking to ensure it wasn't different in American English. It is not. The general consensus seems to be when "than" is considered a preposition "me" is correct; when a conjunction, "I" is correct. But there is no consensus as to which is the right interpretation. Over here the older generation would definitely prefer "I" and I've often heard it used in speech, but I doubt anyone under 30 would use it.

Anyway, enough dumb derail, I'll post no more about it. It was only a light-hearted comment about you being pedantic but also technically incorrect!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

..btt posted:

technically incorrect!

The best kind of incorrect

..btt posted:

and being British I did do some checking

This should be me not I

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

LastInLine posted:

me is an object

Now you listen up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-n2X4b-Yo

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

Don't laugh at me, but I'm kind of hoping the Pixel 3 contract goes out to Essential. They've shown they can make a pretty decent hardware package and they've mostly been struggling with the software side of it, of which Google has down pat. If the company is around next year and they are able to unfuck their production lines to not be so backlogged/slow, I think they could make a pretty good run of it.

Do you think essential has the resources to act as a contract manufacturer?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With the HTC acquisition, it's clear Google it's going to go one step further with the Pixel line and do even more of the design in house. I wouldn't be surprised if they tapped Foxconn for the Pixel 3 (most likely Pixel 4.)

That really wouldn't have done anything about screengate though since these are still the only panels that Google would be able to use.

Also, the importance of the latent image processing SoC in the current Pixel 2 cannot be overstated. It's Google's first step towards going full Apple and having their own custom SoC running the phone.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mental Hospitality posted:

What...what if the OnePlus 5t coming out next month ends up being a super awesome value flagship. :aaaaa:

Can that company ever redeem itself in the eyes of goons?
I had a OP3 and now have a OP5 and they are awesome but this thread really loving hates them and dogpiles anyone who dares to talk about them so I am just quietly enjoying the LG Pixel shitshow

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

People more often talk badly about one plus the company than the phones themselves

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

However there are also valid complaints in that it openly sends personally identifiable information to their servers

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

That really wouldn't have done anything about screengate though since these are still the only panels that Google would be able to use.

This sentence confuses me. Do you mean that if HTC made the next Pixel that their displays would have to be done in house as well?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just the opposite, I think. LG/Samsung are still the only games in town for OLEDs. i.e. the screen problems would be there regardless of who assembled the device.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

Just the opposite, I think. LG/Samsung are still the only games in town for OLEDs. i.e. the screen problems would be there regardless of who assembled the device.

Yeah it's this

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, LG and Samsung ate the only games in town for OLEDs and Samsung isn't selling their edgeless displays to anyone other than Apple.

It's LG for the foreseeable future if you want an edgeless design or a several generation old normal OLED panel from Samsung with more traditional bezels.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Why don't they just use IPS LCD if there are supply constraints and quality issues for OLED?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IPS LCDs are for us poors with Moto G5 phones

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

Why don't they just use IPS LCD if there are supply constraints and quality issues for OLED?

Because then their flagship device couldn't be used for daydream and they would have to remove ambient display.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Syrinxx posted:

Couldn't do always on ambient display then and I think OLED is the best display as far as image quality and power efficiency go, when done right of course.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

They finalized the components for this phone like 6 months+ ago. They make an educated bet that the issues on LGs OLED panel line will be ironed out in time for release.

This is a very common thing to do.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Danyull posted:

As someone who's left handed this would be completely unusable for me tbh.

The only thing I miss about my iPhone compared to my Pixel 2 is that the former would 1) automatically connect to my car bluetooth when I turned the car on and 2) stay connected to both my car and headphones at the same time, so when I would turn off the car the music would automatically start playing through the headphones. Is there anything I can do to get that functionality on the Pixel? I didn't see anything in the settings menu about either.

If your pixel isn't connected to anything bluetooth it will automatically connect to the car bluetooth as soon as the car turns on - if you've ever connected to it before and set it up. Likewise if you have a music app open it'll begin playing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's the U11 been like keeping up with security patches?

I'd say pretty good. This one's October.

Also the leaked looks of the U11+ with the fingerprint sensor on the back finally, looks fantastic.

Only thing I don't like currently is the stock launcher with blinkfeed is just dated and bf is crappy as hell since they switched to News Republic. Install the Pixel launcher and it fixes that perfectly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really wish I would have snagged the official fabric case before my spigen thin fit shipped because I don't even know if I would want to use the later now. We'll have to see if it is any thinner.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Can someone help me understand micro USB card compatibility?

I like having a dedicated music player separate from my regular phone to use while I do yardwork and work out, but 7 year old iPod classic is dying. I probably listen to podcasts more than anything else, but still have about 100 GB of music that I carry around with me. I have an old Samsung Galaxy III that I want to wipe clean, pack with memory, get a fresh battery, and download one good music app. For me it would be an upgrade since I would be gaining bluetooth and wifi.

Google tells me that my phone can handle 64 GB max. What happens if I use something bigger? Do they just say 64GB because in 2012 that's the biggest they had back then and something bigger would be just fine? Or will it not work at all or will the phone use only 64GB no matter how big I put in? Beyond that how do I find out if this old phone uses sdxc or sdhc?

In case anyone was wondering, I got a 128 GB card and it works just fine :unsmith:

Thanks!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
My pixel 2 xl was supposed to ship yesterday but my card hasn't been charged and my order status hasn't changed. I feel like I'd get the package faster if I canceled and reordered the phone but I don't want to risk it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

order another and just cancel the other when one ships

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

horchata posted:

My pixel 2 xl was supposed to ship yesterday but my card hasn't been charged and my order status hasn't changed. I feel like I'd get the package faster if I canceled and reordered the phone but I don't want to risk it.

Same here. I wonder if they are scrambling to deal with all the crap going on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Mine is in transit, and I hope it's one of the mythical Good Screen XLs that google supposedly QA tested :kiddo:

If it's really that bad, there will probably be a recall, anyway.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Zeta Taskforce posted:

In case anyone was wondering, I got a 128 GB card and it works just fine :unsmith:

Thanks!

Glad to hear it worked out for you. My experience has always been that bigger cards won't get the entire volume recognized so good to know that's not always the case.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Knowing my luck it'll get shipped late and I'll still get a bad screen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

horchata posted:

I've seen claims that orders got cancelled inexplicably (probably fraud detection triggering and the info request mail landing into the spam folder or go unnoticed otherwise), without the store page reflecting that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm really glad I cancelled my 2XL preorder, and I'm one of the original Pixel Warriors too

https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/922464386849046528

I have a pokeball burnt in on the bottom of my S7. I've only had that phone for a few months. :blush:
My Pixel 2XL arrives tomorrow.

How hosed am I?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

deadly_pudding posted:

Mine is in transit, and I hope it's one of the mythical Good Screen XLs that google supposedly QA tested :kiddo:

If it's really that bad, there will probably be a recall, anyway.

It's not that bad, it's just dull compared to a Samsung screen. There won't be a recall.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a pokeball burnt in on the bottom of my S7. I've only had that phone for a few months. :blush:
My Pixel 2XL arrives tomorrow.

How hosed am I?

youre fine, the melodrama over this phone is ridiculous

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Postoyevsky posted:

youre fine, the melodrama over this phone is ridiculous

I have yet to see a picture of burn in on a normal screen, not grey at the right brightness and angle. I'm not saying its not a problem and that it shouldn't be fixed, but come on.

That said, I'll still be mad if mine does it, if it ever gets here. Apparently Best Buy got screwed on the XLs.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Wacky Delly posted:

I have yet to see a picture of burn in on a normal screen, not grey at the right brightness and angle. I'm not saying its not a problem and that it shouldn't be fixed, but come on.

That said, I'll still be mad if mine does it, if it ever gets here. Apparently Best Buy got screwed on the XLs.

there's none on my screen

Hilariously I checked my old OG Pixel for burn in and it has horrible burn in

I literally never noticed it until yesterday when I purposefully looked. It's been my daily driver since release

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Anyone get their trade in refund on an original Pixel yet? Did you get the full estimated amount?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, that's part of it.

To be clear, I don't think what we are seeing in the 2XL is burn in, I think it's just IR. It has been shown to fade within a few minutes. The displays are under such scrutiny right now that this exploded.

One of my co-workers tired the same thing with his not quite as worn normal Pixel and actually got the same behavior. If he was using the screen for awhile with the black nav bar and immediately switched to a gray swatch, he saw the same afterimage. After a few minutes it faded.

Current Galaxy devices do not allow the nav area to be black under most circumstances, so you can't exhibit the same behavior. It's not necessarily because the screen is more resistant to it (though it may be), it's because you can't run it under conditions that cause the problem.

Google really just needs to put the same background color behind the nav buttons as they do the notification area and this problem would disappear.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's still not a great display if the image retention is that bad, but that wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me whereas it would be if it was burnin.

e: hmmm
https://twitter.com/alexdobie/status/922901255676145664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

So, that's part of it.

To be clear, I don't think what we are seeing in the 2XL is burn in, I think it's just IR. It has been shown to fade within a few minutes. The displays are under such scrutiny right now that this exploded.

One of my co-workers tired the same thing with his not quite as worn normal Pixel and actually got the same behavior. If he was using the screen for awhile with the black nav bar and immediately switched to a gray swatch, he saw the same afterimage. After a few minutes it faded.

Current Galaxy devices do not allow the nav area to be black under most circumstances, so you can't exhibit the same behavior. It's not necessarily because the screen is more resistant to it (though it may be), it's because you can't run it under conditions that cause the problem.

Google really just needs to put the same background color behind the nav buttons as they do the notification area and this problem would disappear.

I use an app that does this, works pretty flawlessly and looks good

Navbar Apps