Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You all need to just learn proper pronunciation annotation This conversation is harder to follow than a tape worm orgy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Then why are there two Es? The second set of two Es plays by the rules. Why can't the first?

Shibboleths gonna shibboleth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

swordfish duelist posted:

I love when people try to pronounce Okeechobee down in South Florida. Anyone not from here trys to say "OH-KEE-CHU-BEE" where it's "OH-KA-CHO-BE"

I'm from northwest florida and I've never even considered it to be anything other than the latter though?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Besesoth posted:

I'd known about ballad/common meter, but I keep discovering new pop-culture uses of it; my kid just came in singing the "Pokémon" theme song to the tune of "Amazing Grace". :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE6q-e4sICs

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swordfish duelist posted:

I love when people try to pronounce Okeechobee down in South Florida. Anyone not from here trys to say "OH-KEE-CHU-BEE" where it's "OH-KA-CHO-BE"

Oh man, people from out of state tying to pronounce Florida's Native American place names is amazing.

"Alla...chew-a?"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Randaconda posted:

Oh man, people from out of state tying to pronounce Florida's Native American place names is amazing.

"Alla...chew-a?"

The best one I’ve heard was “Ankle-o-tay” River

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I’m a little late to the discussion but my favorite US small town pronunciation is Versailles (Ver-SALES), IL.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Besesoth posted:

I'd known about ballad/common meter, but I keep discovering new pop-culture uses of it; my kid just came in singing the "Pokémon" theme song to the tune of "Amazing Grace". :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJKsyjD3r6I

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I was in a place that pronounces something in an intuitive manner. I would like to discuss this at length. Do any of you have any exciting examples?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glazier posted:

The best one I’ve heard was “Ankle-o-tay” River

Even the easy ones they gawk at.
"What the gently caress is a Micanopy??"

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I think American's just like pronouncing things weirdly. I once heard an American in the UK pronounce Harrogate (Ha-ro-gat) as Ha-ro-ga-tay.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Randaconda posted:

Even the easy ones they gawk at.
"What the gently caress is a Micanopy??"

Florida shibboleths are the best.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm from northwest florida and I've never even considered it to be anything other than the latter though?

Every Floridian I know pronounces it correctly no matter what part of the state. Snow birds on the other hand..

Also "kiss-a-me" is another good one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Withlacoochee is good for tripping up people, too.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
That one usually gets a few giggles too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zero One posted:

All the French street names around Detroit are pronounced wrong.

Gratiot
Dequindre
Charlevoix
Dix

Also "Detroit" itself.

Maybe they should start pronouncing it the French way "Dee Twaa" to make it sound fancier, might help spruce up the place.

Here in Australia there was a brief phase of people pronouncing Target (the big box store full of cheap crap) as "Tar-jay".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah we did that in America too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sam Neill is from New Zealand

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sam Neill is from New Zealand

Really? gently caress. I though he was British, not the Australian version of Canada.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Really? gently caress. I though he was British, not the Australian version of Canada.

I kept seeing tweets from him in my timeline and thought they were by some Kiwi guy with the same name, until this one popped up this morning:
https://twitter.com/TwoPaddocks/status/922502187325931520

The handle is his vineyard I think.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe they should start pronouncing it the French way "Dee Twaa" to make it sound fancier, might help spruce up the place.

Here in Australia there was a brief phase of people pronouncing Target (the big box store full of cheap crap) as "Tar-jay".
Ah yes, when someone (Viral marketing? Bored mums?) tried to make it sound ~*fancy*~
They got legal right or something to use it but the news story is paywalled.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henchman of Santa posted:

I kept seeing tweets from him in my timeline and thought they were by some Kiwi guy with the same name, until this one popped up this morning:
https://twitter.com/TwoPaddocks/status/922502187325931520

The handle is his vineyard I think.

What would the Event Horizon experience be like?

(shut up, I like that movie)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Brief phase? I've heard it my entire life.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Praseodymi posted:

I think American's just like pronouncing things weirdly. I once heard an American in the UK pronounce Harrogate (Ha-ro-gat) as Ha-ro-ga-tay.

That would be the Japanese pronounciation! :psyduck:
:siren: weaboo spotted :siren: I am also the weaboo for knowing that.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Praseodymi posted:

Maybe they were just thinking about Mariska Hargitay.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

What would the Event Horizon experience be like?

(shut up, I like that movie)

Very dark sunglasses.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

silence_kit posted:

I’m a little late to the discussion but my favorite US small town pronunciation is Versailles (Ver-SALES), IL.

My home town has a street like that. It's kind of ridiculous, but it's our ridiculous. Someone had a good explanation for those who think it's 'wrong' to pronounce it the local way: 'Ver-sigh' is a place in France; Ver-sales is a street here.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Glazier posted:

Florida shibboleths are the best.

A florida shibboleth sounds like some lovecraftian horror.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Croccers posted:

Ah yes, when someone (Viral marketing? Bored mums?) tried to make it sound ~*fancy*~
They got legal right or something to use it but the news story is paywalled.

It's just a dad joke

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tiggum posted:

Brief phase? I've heard it my entire life.

Target had commercials pronouncing it that way.
I remember one that was underwater and the narrator spoke in a French accent.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It's just a dad joke

Dad joke, so what

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Croccers posted:

It's a joke. An old joke.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhW7rpFhr2k

I knew a dude with the last name Boisvert. He pronounced it pretty un-Frenchly, but then again who am I to say how you should pronounce your own name. Perrier, though

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
when golf was originally invented it was created as a way for men to get away from their nagging wives

that's why golf is an acronym for "gentlemen only, no ladies"

Ein cooler Typ has a new favorite as of 08:27 on Oct 25, 2017

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Ahh yes I always enjoy leaving the wife alone to take in a relaxing round of gonl

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Memento posted:

Ahh yes I always enjoy leaving the wife alone to take in a relaxing round of gonl

I played that once. I caught a ball in my gonlads and never tried again.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

I played that once. I caught a ball in my gonlads and never tried again.

That's why they say "it's gon, lads!" when they hit the your caught ball.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Saying tar-zhay is like saying gar-bahge sale instead of garage sale:

MOMS. ONLY.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In the SNES game Zombies Ate My Neighbors you have to survive each level and save your clueless neighbors.

What I didn't know until recently is that the neighbors are not a set amount per level.
You have only so many that carry over from level to level and if they die, that's it.
I've never had them all die but I assume that's the second fail state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

In the SNES game Zombies Ate My Neighbors you have to survive each level and save your clueless neighbors.

What I didn't know until recently is that the neighbors are not a set amount per level.
You have only so many that carry over from level to level and if they die, that's it.
I've never had them all die but I assume that's the second fail state.

It is. A friend and I kept getting wrecked after a sandworm level because those fuckers ate too many people