Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Captive Audience is great but Dragon have good political and military stats so need Captive Audience less. Favored Mount is pretty nice for Dragon as it’s another good attachment and lends them more tactical flexibility. That or Iuchi Wayfinder for scouting out your opponents province.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
I'm actually splashing Phoenix in my Dragon deck with some very good results so far. I use (2) Display Of Power and (3) each of Against The Waves and Magnificent Kimono.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll grant you that readying Yokuni and Doomed Shugenjas is pretty slick but are you sure Against the Waves is worthwhile with Dragon shugenja density?

Re: Display of Power, LCG players explain to me again. Like Let Go, my first reaction to that was "it sucks." 3 matches of 1 core decks later, I still think it sucks. Haven't tried it though. Is it good, and why? Costs 2, and secretly costs an honor because you were not opposing, and also thus secretly might cost you a province because you were not opposing - a lot to ask even if you get to steal a ring.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

I'll grant you that readying Yokuni and Doomed Shugenjas is pretty slick but are you sure Against the Waves is worthwhile with Dragon shugenja density?

Re: Display of Power, LCG players explain to me again. Like Let Go, my first reaction to that was "it sucks." 3 matches of 1 core decks later, I still think it sucks. Haven't tried it though. Is it good, and why? Costs 2, and secretly costs an honor because you were not opposing, and also thus secretly might cost you a province because you were not opposing - a lot to ask even if you get to steal a ring.

Against the waves has worked very well for me so far. And remember it can be used defensibly against a Sugenja as well.

As for Display of Power, I was a little doubtful at first too, but on more than one occasion it has gotten me a ring effect I desperately needed to put a game away, but YMMV (and that's why I only run 2 of them).

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna be sure to test it myself. I suppose the idea is the "secret costs" I claim are things that happen to you sometimes anyway, so it's not really more costs. You don't intentionally throw a fight just to Display.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm gonna be sure to test it myself. I suppose the idea is the "secret costs" I claim are things that happen to you sometimes anyway, so it's not really more costs. You don't intentionally throw a fight just to Display.

Display of Power is fantastic, because it takes a battle you were going to be not opposing, takes the ring benefit from your opponent, and gives it to you. That's potentially a hell of a swing, on something like the Earth ring, for example. A net four card swing, the same as if you'd swung and doubled it with Toturi.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Guys help, I want to play the RPG because I am a weeb but don't know anybody locally and don't know any online communities besides here that aren't terrible.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

So, what's the meta looking like? Is there anything broken or abusive in the core that I need to tech for?

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

Zurui posted:

So, what's the meta looking like? Is there anything broken or abusive in the core that I need to tech for?

Banzai, Court Games and Assassination are probably the 3 most used generic cards. The big thing to note there is out of the three 2 of them cause an honor loss, which so far is one of the factors in making Dishonor decks pretty strong.

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012
http://imperialadvisor.com/wp/2017/10/18/meta-check-athens/

There was a 90 person tournament in Athens and this has some stats on what was played and what worked (and what didn't).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zurui posted:

Nothing seems broken out of the box. Crab are strong as are Lion and Crane i think. Pheonix are pulling up the rear but theres such scope to gently caress up with bad decisions in the game that the tiers are pretty close. Theres certainly no robo decks yet.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ChuckBTY posted:

Banzai, Court Games and Assassination are probably the 3 most used generic cards. The big thing to note there is out of the three 2 of them cause an honor loss, which so far is one of the factors in making Dishonor decks pretty strong.

So far ive been playing Scorpion Dishonour pretty heavily and won exactly 0 games via dishonour. The closest i got was attacking with 2 Watch Captains when he was on 2 honour but he just let me roll his last province. What dishonour does really well is keep your opponent worrying about honour bids, keeps thier hand under control whilst you whittle them down.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yup. I don't often win games via dishonor as Scorpion, but I do force my opponents to bid low when I already have a huge hand advantage.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
If you build specifically around dishonor then it's not too hard to do in most cases. Controlling the Ring of Air is where it's at because other than that, there aren't many ways of gaining honor.

Display of Power, is a great splash because it ensures that if you opponent goes first, you can still deny them the Ring of Air should they choose to go after it.

Watch Commanders in Crab are also good but I typically find that you need to have some advantage already and draw out the battle for it to be effective. Better in a switch deck than straight dishonor in my opinion.
I also like Levy from Crab. In the early game it's going to snag you extra honor and in the late game it will snag you extra fate or honor depending on when you play it.

Tattooed Wandered is also not a bad splash as you can snag an extra dishonor for unopposed stealthing around a solo defender.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Got my first four games in in the past two days--first game was against another noob, other three against "veteran" players.

Some observations:

1) Unicorn seem a little under-powered. The mobility gimmick is cool and all, but that's really all they seem to do other than be beefy for military conflicts. Against Scorpion, Crane (twice) and Dragon, there was always a counter to everything. I move my guy in, and...so what? They're dishonored, or bowed, or or or...

That being said, they're still my clan, and I'm gonna do my best to make them work.

2) I read the brief debate upthread about whether Otomo Courtier and Seppun Guardsman were cheap plugs for a clan's weakness or total garbage. Seems like they're pretty much garbage.

3) Seeker initiates, on the other hand, seem like solid cards. Crane guy pulling two of those bad boys out of his discard pile, then honoring them really impressed me.

4) I really, really want to splash something in my Unicorn deck besides Dragon (and have), but Jesus let go is really loving good. So is Mirumoto's Fury.

5) gently caress dueling.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Hello fellow Unicorn.

Our movement gimmick is nice and all, but it needs to tie into our real game goal, which is Fate Economic Domination.

Charge / Cavalry Reserves get our ponies out for cheap. Never pay full price for our clan Champion or a Horde.

Way of the Unicorn lets us keep first. "Well, that's not that awesome" except that it gets us into a position to pass first (+1 fate) and get first crack at a conflict (+1 fate). If we're going first, try to get it so that we have either only 1 ring with fate or 3 rings with fate, so we can get +1 over the opponent. If going second, try to end the previous round with 2 rings remaining (no net gain of fate for first player).

Run 3x Ide Trader, get him a favorite mount and put him into every conflict you can. FATE FATE FATE.

I really like Crane for Height of Fashion (yes, please Let that Go so I can keep my spyglasses) and Political Rival.

Alternatively have their 2 fate clan champion stumble into some Endless Plains on Turn 1, and roll them over by Turn 2.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Val Helmethead posted:

Charge / Cavalry Reserves get our ponies out for cheap. Never pay full price for our clan Champion or a Horde.

That seems kinda lovely, though, since you can't add extra fate to units played with those cards.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Eschatos posted:

That seems kinda lovely, though, since you can't add extra fate to units played with those cards.

Nope. But you can bring them back with Cavalry reserves from the discard pile. It's way better value for them.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Eschatos posted:

Also Good Omens exists.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The top Athens Unicorn deck also shoots for the Greater Glory + Cav Reserves combo (ft. Sashimono, which I also included).

Top Athens Dragon splashes Crane like I was thinking too so that feels good. Of course none of the other five Athens top Clans splashed how I would have done it so that limits my smug.

I feel like Phoenix might have a chance at honor wins with Shiba Tsukune and that conflict deck character who taps the Air Ring and other stuff going on. I intend to build that should I ever get more cores.

edit: oh dang you see that art piece on the tournament report website? Somebody's opening a Black Scroll!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Val Helmethead posted:

Also Good Omens exists.

If you can squeeze Greater Glory in there then it can cause a pretty big swing in the game state. Unicorn with Lion splash just seems like a good idea.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Val Helmethead posted:

Also Good Omens exists.
Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett confirmed for canon characters.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Man, the plot bunnies have been at it. I was seeing folks wanting to play a L5R Beta game, and I was like "Hey, how about the crab version of the Topaz championship. Instead of a big-rear end iaijutsu tourney at the end, they take groups of "finishers", and put them through the CRAB version of the Gempukku, ie "go from here to Shinsei's Last Hope and back, oh, and yeah, bring back the head of a shadowlands creature each. As a group you will fail or succeed."

I spent forty five minutes thinking about things, and the most ridiculous thing was naming it after the "Ride-Along" that new police officers do, but instead of Training Day, it's Gempukku Day...

Now if I could just get a group that fits around my work schedule (1230-9 Eastern, Saturday-Wednesday)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Val Helmethead posted:

Hello fellow Unicorn.

Our movement gimmick is nice and all, but it needs to tie into our real game goal, which is Fate Economic Domination.

Way of the Unicorn lets us keep first. "Well, that's not that awesome" except that it gets us into a position to pass first (+1 fate) and get first crack at a conflict (+1 fate). If we're going first, try to get it so that we have either only 1 ring with fate or 3 rings with fate, so we can get +1 over the opponent. If going second, try to end the previous round with 2 rings remaining (no net gain of fate for first player).

Run 3x Ide Trader, get him a favorite mount and put him into every conflict you can. FATE FATE FATE.

I really like Crane for Height of Fashion (yes, please Let that Go so I can keep my spyglasses) and Political Rival.

Alternatively have their 2 fate clan champion stumble into some Endless Plains on Turn 1, and roll them over by Turn 2.

Thanks for all of this, it's greatly appreciated!

I splashed Lion--FGG, Sashimono, and the one that cancels bowing effects. Going to a meetup tomorrow, I'll do a trip report.

Fake edit: thoughts on Giver of Gifts? I "get" it, but 3 for a 2/3 in Unicorn, and the attachment needs to be going to someone who is gonna stick around.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 24, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sad that FFG has a very strong policy of Ujimitsu erasure.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Eschatos posted:

Sometimes not paying for expensive guys is better anyway. I won a game against my friend with my Lion deck, cracking two provinces with my Champ despite never actually paying for him to come into play (Charge and Kitsu Spiritcaller). Was pretty great.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pash posted:

Sometimes not paying for expensive guys is better anyway. I won a game against my friend with my Lion deck, cracking two provinces with my Champ despite never actually paying for him to come into play (Charge and Kitsu Spiritcaller). Was pretty great.

Kitsu Spiritcaller is a hell of a closer, bringing in an Honoured General or something like that is a huge swing and very hard to stop.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Note that Pash is a bad person and a bad friend and, as the person he beat, nothing he does should be respected or considered good to emulate. Also Lion is bullshit. Scorpio are the one true hotness.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Zodiac5000 posted:

Note that Pash is a bad person and a bad friend and, as the person he beat, nothing he does should be respected or considered good to emulate. Also Lion is bullshit. Scorpio are the one true hotness.

Them's fightin' words! I challenge you to cards at dawn!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Beta email. Actual update coming soon.

quote:

Greetings, Legend of the Five Rings Open Beta Testers!

We’ve just put the finishing touches on the first update to the beta! According to our most recent survey, almost half of you still haven’t had a chance to put the system through its paces in play, so we hope you can get the beta on the table soon and try out the first wave of updates! This update addresses several issues you’ve already spotted and tweaks some of the mechanics to reinforce the themes of the setting while making the game more fun. You can find a summary of the changes later in this email!

We’re also excited to preview character creation options for our very first minor clan: the Mantis! Yoritomo’s fleets from the Islands of Silk and Spice led with a majority showing, with the Fox coming in second at 33% and the impoverished Suzume family at a mere 15%. (It’s okay, Suzume-san, at least you still have your yams!) Thank you to everyone who voted, and we’ll have some more polls for you to participate in going forward.

The Game of Character Creation

This week, we want the focus of your playtest feedback to be the character creation process. I’m one of those players who enjoys making new characters almost as much as I enjoy actually playing the game. I’ve learned better than to inflict my GM with ten-page character backstories (and I don’t have as much free time as I used to), but I still love to flesh out my characters’ relationships, histories, hopes, fears, strengths, and weaknesses, with the hopes that the GM will eventually highlight them during a session. In the campaigns that I’ve run as a GM, I’ve often handed out supplemental questionnaires to get my players thinking about these narrative elements for their character—and to help me create a campaign that’s truly driven by the characters. The Legend of the Five Rings RPG stood out because it’s had a questionnaire since the very first edition: the Game of Twenty Questions.

When I had to opportunity to design the new edition of the L5R RPG with Max, I wanted to bake these story choices into character creation from the very start. I was reviewing the old Game of Twenty Questions when I realized many of the answers had mechanical implications, although those mechanics were actually recorded during the steps of an entirely separate character creation process. They didn’t have to be separate, I thought. The Game of Twenty Questions could serve as the main vehicle of character creation—the questions could become prompts for defining both the narrative and mechanical elements of a character at the same time, so that they would be considered together.

In the fourth edition of Legend of the Five Rings RPG, the bulk of that separate character creation process included spending forty experience points on whatever the player liked. In theory, this allowed players to tailor their character to reflect what they wanted narratively, but in my experience, players (myself included!) tried to wring every last mechanical edge they could out of those 40XP. It’s the Law of the Instrument rearing its head: because mechanics were the tools we had to build our characters, we were thinking mechanically first. Often, I wrote my character backstory second, basing the details on the build I was able to create.

When designing the new edition, I didn’t want to feel as much a slave to the mechanics. So we made the decision to remove XP expenditure from the base process.

The other reason we moved away from the free-spend XP model was to make the game more approachable for new players. In the old editions, there were a lot of different ways players could spend that XP, and some were much more powerful mechanically than others. For players who have never played the game before, that’s a lot of choices to process all at once! Moreover, it’s hard to know precisely how you want to play your character, and what you should invest in, until you’ve tried the game and walked around in your character’s shoes for a while.

Now, we’ve tried to narrow the focus so that players are considering one aspect at a time. You aren’t filling up an entire scrap piece of paper calculating what this mechanical combination costs compared to another in terms of XP. Now, in one question the player is defining an element of their character that is represented by an advantage, something that provides the player with a concrete narrative hook for their character while at the same time giving them a mechanical way to stand out during play. In another question, they can focus on choosing an additional skill or not. And so on.

We’re eager to hear from you whether character creation is achieving that goal and the goals of your group, and what we can improve to make character creation more intuitive and story-rich. In this update, we’ve also included guidelines for how and when to bring back experience points to the character creation process for advanced players or particular campaign concepts. The characters you can build with the Twenty Questions method are designed to represent samurai who have just come out of their coming-of-age ceremony, their gempuku. Importantly, these options still build on the existing Game of Twenty Questions meant to marry narrative with mechanics.

Week 4 Beta Update

This week marks our first major update! We’ve made a number of updates, some of them larger than others. While many are small corrections and revisions, there are a few topics for which we made notable changes!

Strife and Unmasking
“Unmasking” is the new term for “outbursts,” and it functions in a slightly different way. We want people who were enjoying the outburst system to be able to play it almost exactly the same way—but we also want people who feel their samurai should be able to remain stoic to have that flexibility. As such, when a character’s strife exceeds their composure, they become compromised. While compromised, a character cannot keep dice with strife symbols.

Now, their player has a choice. They can try to find ways for their character to shed strife during this time (essentially the equivalent of the old “Shut Down” option). Or, they can choose for their character to unmask, dropping their facade briefly (in what was an outburst before) to express their emotions outwardly. They clear all their strife, and must resolve the narrative and mechanical effects of unmasking (which are slightly modified from prior outbrusts, but fill largely the same functions). This means that unmasking is always a choice, and if a player really feels it would be inappropriate for their character to show emotion at a given time, they don’t have to.

We hope that this system will have greater flexibility, helping to underscore player agency while still offering all the roleplaying cues and interesting mechanical interactions around emotions that others like about the previous outburst system!

Wounds become Fatigue
Based on the poll and a lengthy internal discussion, wounds are being re-themed as fatigue—reflecting exertion as a character grows more vulnerable to a hit that causes a serious injury (still represented by critical strikes). Mechanically, this is very similar, but it does open up certain thematic avenues—for instance, it makes more sense for characters to intentionally suffer fatigue to get extra effects, and also for a character to recover small amounts of fatigue over a short period of time with certain abilities.

Duels
Duel objectives have been reframed and reworked to better fit into the lore of the setting! This includes closer guidance on what constitutes an iaijutsu duel, but also various other forms of duels, including no-holds-barred battles between warriors, sparring bouts, and Taryu-Jiai, the supernatural contests fought between shugenja.

Stances
Several stances have received a bit of a retuning. In light of the modifications to strife and unmasking, we wanted shedding strife to be a bit slower during conflicts. As such, two stances have been somewhat overhauled:
Water stance now provides additional action that can only be used to perform an action that does not require a check. This could include taking a minor narrative action, drawing or stowing an item, moving further, or even catching your breath to heal a bit of strife or fatigue.
Air stance now increases the TN to hit you by half your school rank (rounded up). This means that it scales as you (and your enemies) grow stronger—which all other stances do, directly or in effect. Previously, it provided only a small benefit for high-rank characters, but now it provides a fairly static benefit across your character’s lifespan.
Iaijutsu Technique
Instead of being represented with a single technqiue, Iaijutsu has been split into two techniques, with a few more to come in the future. These techniques have been rebalanced to provide more benefit—they also are somewhat better based on some of the action economy changes that have been implemented (see below).

Action Economy Revisions
This set of alterations is subtle, but important. The previous version allowed very free movement and drawing/sheathing of weapons, but it did make abilities that improve weapon drawing /mobility somewhat weaker. However, this wasn’t the only model we had experimented with in Alpha. Thus, before the Beta gets too far along, we’d like to try another way of handling this aspect of the game.

In short, during a conflict, movement (beyond one range band) and weapon manipulation are more restricted, often requiring an action. However, the Water stance now grants the ability to perform an action without a check. Further, certain abilities help to mitigate these restrictions (such as Iaijutsu Cuts).

This is a change that has a fairly substantial effect at the table despite seeming potentially insignificant on reading (as compared to some rather obvious changes, like the update from outbursts to unmasking or the rewriting of duel objectives as dueling terms), so we ask that people pay close attention to it to make sure that it’s working well. If it becomes too restrictive in encounters, please let us know!

Thanks again for participating, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!

Katrina and Max
L5R RPG Development Team

Edit: For what it's worth, I like what I'm seeing here. Was disappointed that the old dueling didn't work for things like Taryu-Jiai, the new way unmasking works so you can avoid it if not narratively appropriate (while doing so still has teeth) is neat, and other things look good too. The design philosophy regarding character creation is something I can agree with as well.

Now they just need to give me the option to vote for the Centipede Clan in the next survey because I want to see them ASAP.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 25, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, I'm pretty eager to see the new update! I'd be super happy if FFG could turn my opinion around here. Unmasking seems like a good compromise between Outbursts and 'yea but I'd rather not my stoic Lion be forced to act like an rear end in a top hat just because someone got a good barb in', and super eager to see a refined and expanded duel system!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

sexpig by night posted:

Yea, I'm pretty eager to see the new update! I'd be super happy if FFG could turn my opinion around here. Unmasking seems like a good compromise between Outbursts and 'yea but I'd rather not my stoic Lion be forced to act like an rear end in a top hat just because someone got a good barb in', and super eager to see a refined and expanded duel system!

LOL if your proud Matsu Berserker won't be a huge rear end in a top hat and murder nearby Crane at the slightest provocative

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LCG Meetup Trip Report:

Due to an odd number of people and other social weirdness (shocking, I know), I only got to play one game--my Unicorn versus a Phoenix deck.

I took some of Val Helmethead's suggestions, notably investing in an early Ide Trader and slapping a favored mount and spyglass on him. He was a fate and card engine for three rounds. Never played any 4- or 5-cost characters from provinces; discarded them if they were still there at the end of the turn. Splashed Lion, not Crane: 3x for greater glory and 3x ready for battle.

So, charge/cavalry reserves + for greater glory is pretty goddamn good. Pulled that off twice; that much of a swing two times sealed the game. Wound up winning with only one broken province, which was my endless plains I broke myself. Feeling a bit better about Unicorn.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

TipTow posted:

LCG Meetup Trip Report:

Due to an odd number of people and other social weirdness (shocking, I know), I only got to play one game--my Unicorn versus a Phoenix deck.

I took some of Val Helmethead's suggestions, notably investing in an early Ide Trader and slapping a favored mount and spyglass on him. He was a fate and card engine for three rounds. Never played any 4- or 5-cost characters from provinces; discarded them if they were still there at the end of the turn. Splashed Lion, not Crane: 3x for greater glory and 3x ready for battle.

So, charge/cavalry reserves + for greater glory is pretty goddamn good. Pulled that off twice; that much of a swing two times sealed the game. Wound up winning with only one broken province, which was my endless plains I broke myself. Feeling a bit better about Unicorn.

Excellent. Excellent. Fate and Cards for the ponies!

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I definitely like the new unmasking mechanics, although my problem with the old version was actually the opposite of what most people had, in that I didn’t think it did a good job of handling characters who weren’t trying to be stoic all the time. Splitting up the narrative and the mechanics will do a lot to help fix that problem.

The character creation, though, I’m not so impressed with. I’m glad they’re looking at alternatives because the way it currently is feels far too restrictive. Look at question 7, for example; what if the character is neither an enthusiastic clan loyalist nor openly defiant? What if they are a rebel but not in the exact way the book prescribes (e.g. a rebellious Dragon with no interest in seafaring)? What if they aren't part of a clan at all?

And as for question 18, this may just be a personal issue of mine but I hate any kind of randomness in character creation. I’m sure a decent GM would let people just skip this if they wanted, but I hope there will be another option that will allow people to get some kind of equivalent bonus without leaving it to chance.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The main thing chargen suffers from is that it'd be nice if you could manipulate skills a little more to better differentiate yourself between your peers. It's a bit of a minor quibble, but hey, it's there. All in all there's a decent number of ways to manipulate your starting rings, which is good, though since certain schools naturally gravitate towards certain rings, they get a bit samey.

The real crime remains the god awful XP table system.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Pretty much all of the #7 skills are weird. Hurr durr crab clan are big angry strong mans so clearly a dissident would like pretty things lol!!! And dragons are apparently actually cats and don't like water.

Scorpion dissidents liking labor is especially odd. Of any samurai, I feel like a scorpion would be most likely to engage in peasant labor (except maybe a dragon), in order to blend in with peasants when they're doing the ninja thing. They probably won't be happy about it, but if you have no idea what you're doing you'll kinda stand out, which defeats the purpose.

Edit: especially since this is explicitly mentioned in the skill's description:

quote:

Con Approach (Air Ring): Overseeing others on a project effectively, covering over flaws in one’s work, disguising one sort of object as another, pretending to work.
(emphasis mine)

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 26, 2017

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Question #7 would probably be better if disagreeing with your clan's beliefs instead just allowed you to choose to gain a rank in a skill that your character did not have, so you could tailor what your character's alternate views are about.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bakeneko posted:

The character creation, though, I’m not so impressed with. I’m glad they’re looking at alternatives because the way it currently is feels far too restrictive. Look at question 7, for example; what if the character is neither an enthusiastic clan loyalist nor openly defiant? What if they are a rebel but not in the exact way the book prescribes (e.g. a rebellious Dragon with no interest in seafaring)? What if they aren't part of a clan at all?

As a house rule in editions past I permitted every character to select one bushido virtue they personally emphasized and one virtue for which they personally held less regard. When exhibiting their favored virtue, they gained more Honor. When flouting their disfavored virtue, they lost less Honor. As I also had a house rule that every Clan emphasized one virtue and de-emphasized another, giving all characters of that Clan the described benefits, this served as a way for characters to distinguish their opinions rather better than "+5 glory if you're a good boy, +1 Commerce if you're not."

For example, all Scorpions favored Duty and disfavored Righteousness because they were Scorpions. Thus any Scorpion who displayed Duty got bonus Honor and any Scorpion who acted against Righteousness lost less Honor than "normal." Further, Bayushi Keikaku the PC could elect to also favor Courage, and also disfavor Compassion. Thus if Keikaku-san was brave in the face of death or put his lord's interests above his own, he reaped bonus Honor. Also, if he kicked a peasant in the gut and then lied about it to a yoriki, he'd suffer only cushioned Honor losses. The real fun part for seeing how your interests aligned with your Clan was that you were free to double down on favoring or disfavoring your Clan's virtues, or even to go the opposite way!

Thus Earth-2 Keikaku, who super-favors Duty and super-disfavors Righteousness, is a good little Scorpion boy who is richly rewarded in Honor for serving his master and also able to lie his rear end off to pretty much anyone else without losing much Honor for it.

Earth-3 Keikaku, however, elected to disfavor Duty, and favor Righteousness. He has a "love-hate" relationship with his Clan. Probably a junshin. Should he display Duty, he is rewarded extra. However, should he flout it, he is penalized less. The same goes for Righteousness!

The new edition actually also has this bushido virtue tailored reward concept, which made me very giddy to read the first time. However, there are three big problems. One, the rule only has tailored virtues for Clans. There is at present no rule for individual tailoring. Two, and this is the big problem, the rule as written has a negative side where showing your Clan's disfavored virtue rewards you less and flouting the favored virtue hurts you more. This is not cool, not cool at all. It serves no purpose but to bludgeon people into playing their Clan stereotypes and makes an interesting "love-hate" relationship with a virtue mechanically impossible. Under my system, an Akodo who buys cakes for farmer children (favors Compassion, though his Clan disfavors the same) and a Kaiu who is more bookish than brave (disfavors Courage, though his Clan favors the same) are both free to play their characters and enjoy rewards. They do not suffer hard feelings from the rules. The rules as written encourage lazy "u Crane so u pretty boy" crap.

What's problem #3? OK I admit this is only fluff-geek opinion but I take strong issue with the 5e assignments of Clan virtues. I would juggle around several of them and I absolutely would not give Scorpion two disfavored virtues. You wanna talk about lazy as hell stereotypes, look at giving the Scorpion more bushido penalties than everyone else.

This is all not super-important because it's crazy easy to houserule. Regardless I firmly believe 5e would be a better game if it did things my way with regard to character relationships with bushido. As always, if you agree, I ask you to write to the dev team and back me up.

The real crime remains kata/invocation imbalance.

Did they actually nerf Iaijutsu?

Look at this! Horizontal Cut is the old Iaijutsu technique, revised. It STILL has the exact same poo poo-rear end effect of dealing +1 damage but now it can't sheathe a weapon for 2 Ops and it is a School Rank higher than it used to be! WHAT IN GOD'S NAME

No comment as of yet on Rising Cut Iaijutsu. But good God, if someone out there actually thought Iaijutsu was OP and needed to be a Rank higher, and the devs are listening to that nonsense, that bodes very poorly for 5e ending up a balanced, high-quality game.

edit: I'll grant you the new action rules mean drawing a weapon and attacking in some way at the same time is more useful now. It's still a seriously bad omen.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Rising Slash looks really really good for duels to first blood, since it just inflicts a crit if you damage them. Not opportunity dependent, so it can't be hosed by earth stance. Horizontal Slash is a little underwhelming, but it's extra range on katana attacks and a damage boost. Not terrible.