Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Isn't this a zero-interest loan? I guess they just hide the financing in the monthly bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

my point is taking out a loan to get a new phone every year puts you on a debt treadmill. if people want to do that that's fine but come on it's okay to call a spade a spade.

This has been the case for American cellphone customers for over a decade. This is nothing new.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Boris Galerkin posted:

I get this randomly for random apps. My Mail app is doing it right now. Tapping it open fixes it though I think.

Speaking of apps I just realized/noticed that my home bar doesn’t show text anymore. I swear I remember it used to say “Mail” underneath the Mail app and so on but all four buttons on my home bar don’t have names. Is this a feature?

Aaalso I picked up a pair of AirPods from the SF Union Square Apple store yesterday. I don’t know if these are still rare or not but they just had them on display. It works perfectly as advertised but is there a way to make it more automatic? Like, right just now I put both in my ears, and I heard the sound, but now when I open Spotify and press play music is still coming from my iPhone’s speakers. I have to tap a few buttons to get t to switch over to the AirPods and this is actually pretty annoying.

Seems like the supply issues have eased up considerably on the AirPods. I just picked up a pair over the weekend here in Denver and pretty much every Apple store in the metro had them same-day availability.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Not to mention its a better system then the old way of subsidizing phones and hiding the monthly payment in your bill which basically forces you to buy a new subsidized phone when your contract is up otherwise you're paying more for the device.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

my point is taking out a loan to get a new phone every year puts you on a debt treadmill. if people want to do that that's fine but come on it's okay to call a spade a spade.

You'd be stupid to buy the iPhone X outright if you can get the AUP loan. Considering 2017 dollars are worth more than 2019 dollars, and ~$1000 invested now should earn about 5-7% unless everything goes to poo poo, it's basically a discount on the phone. Zero-interest fixed loans with no gotchas are fantastic.

Now, if you can't afford it and actually have to go into debt to buy an iPhone X, you probably shouldn't. But if you can afford it, and someone offers you a 0% loan, there is no reason not to take it.

I don't believe in buying a new phone every year, that's silly IMO, but that's another topic entirely - whether your 1 year old phone can sell for more on the used market than 12 months of payments. Usually iPhones can, so trading it in at the 12 month mark doesn't make much sense.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Pivo posted:

You'd be stupid to buy the iPhone X outright if you can get the AUP loan. Considering 2017 dollars are worth more than 2019 dollars, and ~$1000 invested now should earn about 5-7% unless everything goes to poo poo, it's basically a discount on the phone. Zero-interest fixed loans with no gotchas are fantastic.

Except that at least in the US you basically need to purchase AppleCare+ with the phone for AUP, and if you do the 12-month turn-in, you don't get a refund for the year of AppleCare you're not getting.

e: vvvv I'm not sure what you're pointing out. Pivo is correct that doing the AUP and taking the free loan makes a lot of sense, but the only caveat to that is that if you do the 12-month turn-in (which is why many people do the AUP), you do lose the cost of half a year of AppleCare.

fordan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 23, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

2019 is two years after 2017, hope that helps.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fordan posted:

Except that at least in the US you basically need to purchase AppleCare+ with the phone for AUP, and if you do the 12-month turn-in, you don't get a refund for the year of AppleCare you're not getting.

The AppleCare+ is also financed, so you only pay for one year of AppleCare+ if you turn it in each year (the other year is in the portion of the financing you don’t pay.)

(The hardware warranty for the first year is free, but not the accidental damage coverage which is the majority of the cost anyway. Also, you wind up being allowed two incidents per year instead of two every two years, since it’s a new AppleCare+ each time.)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
You also need to be on one of the major carriers. I'd love to take advantage of it but carrier prices are still too expensive for my blood.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Kalman posted:

The AppleCare+ is also financed, so you only pay for one year of AppleCare+ if you turn it in each year (the other year is in the portion of the financing you don’t pay.)

(The hardware warranty for the first year is free, but not the accidental damage coverage which is the majority of the cost anyway. Also, you wind up being allowed two incidents per year instead of two every two years, since it’s a new AppleCare+ each time.)

Good points.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

withak posted:

Isn't this a zero-interest loan? I guess they just hide the financing in the monthly bill.

From the small print on the iPhoneX page

quote:

Available to qualified customers with a credit check and eligible U.S. credit card. Requires a 24-month installment loan with a 0% APR from Citizens Bank, N.A. (subject to any interest, fees, or other costs payable to the issuer of the credit card), purchase of AppleCare+, and iPhone activation with one of these national carriers: AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. Activation on T-Mobile available in the Apple Store. Sales tax and any applicable fees due at time of purchase.

Now, if you used a credit card, obviously you'll pay for any interest accrued on the card (or just pay off the drat bill within 30 days). Or you can do what I do and have a separate checking account *just* for recurring payments like this and use the debit/check card. I just figure out how much per month I need in the second account for all the different services and figure out how much to direct deposit from paycheck. It works great for any service or purchase that needs a recurring unchanging payment like Netflix, Hulu, Cable Internet, etc.. AUP would work perfect with this.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 23, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Proteus Jones posted:

From the small print on the iPhoneX page

Now, if you used a credit card, obviously you'll pay for any interest accrued on the card (or just pay off the drat bill within 30 days). Or you can do what I do and have a separate checking account *just* for recurring payments like this and use the debit/check card. I just figure out how much per month I need in the second account for all the different services and figure out how much to direct deposit from paycheck. It works great for any service or purchase that needs a recurring payment like Netflix, Hulu, etc.. AUP would work perfect with this.

I funnel pretty much 99% of my expenses through my credit card to collect points and have it set to auto pay the full statement every month.

(Which is all automatically budgeted for so I never worry about it. God drat do I love YNAB)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This is my favorite volume related iOS 11 UI quirk:

Two volume displays!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The calculator is buggy too, if you type math operators too fast it ignores them.

Spam 3+3+3+3 as fast as you can to see it. Pretty soon you'll be adding 33's.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

The calculator is buggy too, if you type math operators too fast it ignores them.

Spam 3+3+3+3 as fast as you can to see it. Pretty soon you'll be adding 33's.

Looking at it, I'm not sure this is a bug, so much as working as intended, but the intention is bad. When you press an operator, you can see it fade from orange to white, and it doesn't respond until it fully fades in. I'm not so sure that's a bug, but it sure is a bad experience, and it makes a whole lot more sense why I was having trouble using it before. :rolleyes:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I was doing my bills yesterday and that kept happening with the calculator. It was driving me crazy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Endless Mike posted:

iOS11: I'm not sure this is a bug, so much as working as intended, but the intention is bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
iPhone calculator: still bad.

Soulver: third party calculator, still good. Best single app I ever bought.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Holy poo poo that calculator bug :lol:

This is like the worse roll out of a new iOS version Jesus ducking Christ.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Endless Mike posted:

Looking at it, I'm not sure this is a bug, so much as working as intended, but the intention is bad. When you press an operator, you can see it fade from orange to white, and it doesn't respond until it fully fades in. I'm not so sure that's a bug, but it sure is a bad experience, and it makes a whole lot more sense why I was having trouble using it before. :rolleyes:

I don't even know how they got it to perform this poorly. Buttons on iOS don't disable user interaction during an animation unless you do some really weird poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Holy poo poo that calculator bug :lol:

This is like the worse roll out of a new iOS version Jesus ducking Christ.

Praying to god 11.1 fixes all the poo poo in this Beta of a release

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I used PC Calc for a long time, and I still have it installed.

But I've been converted to the Church of Soulver. Both on iOS and macOS.

People are complaining about poo poo like it's new or something to iOS11. iPhone calculator has *always* been terrible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually the best calculator is construction master pro. I bought it for work and it’s an exact copy of the physical version of the calculator and it’s loving amazing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just put on the latest public beta of 11.1, feels WAY smoother on my 6s+

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I have optimize photo gallery on, and have the thug where whenever I open a photo I literally just took it has to download it, but according to my storage settings I have upwards of 7GB of photos on my phone. Is there any way I can see what is actually on my device or if it’s some obscenely large video or something?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
iOS 11 has seriously hard locked my 7+, once when taking a photo with Camera.app, once when unlocking the device.

This is such a shoddy release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

horse mans posted:

iOS 11 has seriously hard locked my 7+, once when taking a photo with Camera.app, once when unlocking the device.

This is such a shoddy release.

Try the 11.1 public beta. Way better for me

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone else had their home button (7+) get all audible and slappy sounding? Mine started to last night out of nowhere. (You know, the haptic click...)

[Ed] a reboot fixed it, but man that was weird.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 24, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Condolences if you aren't using PCalc in RPN mode for calculating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Actually the best calculator is construction master pro. I bought it for work and it’s an exact copy of the physical version of the calculator and it’s loving amazing.

Agreed, but then I've been using a construction master for like 2 decades.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

withak posted:

You should be using SSH into a Lisp REPL, friend.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

withak posted:

A cool, good opinion. RPN mode works straight out of the widget too!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can any of these calculators be placed as a square in the “swipe up” gesture and also work while the phone is locked? Because if they can’t then they are useless to me.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I imagine third-party Control Center widgets will be a key innovation in iOS 12

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

illcendiary posted:

I imagine third-party Control Center widgets will be a key innovation in iOS 12

How about a god damned VPN widget

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And then we'll have people trying to load every single one of their apps into the control center until they have an empty springboard.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

xzzy posted:

And then we'll have people trying to load every single one of their apps into the control center until they have an empty springboard.
Folder widgets!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

So...Android?

Do apps like Launcher still work? A widget isn't quite Control Center, but close enough.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

edited to clarify: for some reason, after migrating to my new 8 I am unable to update my passcode to iCloud. I have a notification in settings that I need to update my apple id settings. It would appear this is updating my passcode to iCloud (not sure why this is uploaded?). I tried doing a new restore, changing my passcode first, turning off iCloud and turning it back on, disabling my passcode (which resulted in the update request disappearing), re-enabling, and lots of yelling. Any idea what the gently caress I need to do? It doesn't seem like anything isn't working as a result of this so I'm not sure what hot new features I'm missing out on.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Folder widgets!

With faceid the phone will be able to determine your mood and this what widgets you’re probably looking for.