Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Never played Galaxy 2, but I thought Galaxy 1 was pretty solid. I irrationally hated Sunshine, there were a few missions that were so frustrating it ruined the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You're actually the worst person alive, my dude.

agreed

You're a lovely gimmick poster who needs to grow up. Timeframe?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You're a lovely gimmick poster who needs to grow up. Timeframe?

How do you keep missing "I don't think so Tim"?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

This is a corporate account, that phrase is only to be used by our founder and CEO.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I understand the preference against motion controls (I personally hate playing any kind of action game with K+M) but the motion controls in Galaxy were the very intuitive "flick to spin" and the largely optional "move a pointer around the screen to pick up doodads" which are pretty darn minimal as motion controls go. The second one is essentially the same as using a light gun. Was the zapper "motion controls"?

I won't bore you with my motion controls rant, but suffice it to say that for me, any motion controls at all is a huge negative, and more than a super slight amount is a deal killer. Treasure Tracker bordered on having too much motion controls.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nobunaga's Ambition seems perfect for the Switch.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

ColdPie posted:

I won't bore you with my motion controls rant, but suffice it to say that for me, any motion controls at all is a huge negative, and more than a super slight amount is a deal killer. Treasure Tracker bordered on having too much motion controls.

It didn't ruin the game for me (Galaxy), I just prefer a button. Shaking your controller like an idiot will never be as efficient or responsive as a button.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

SMB Galaxy 1+2 Switch HD would be awesome sauce

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mons Hubris posted:

Never played Galaxy 2, but I thought Galaxy 1 was pretty solid. I irrationally hated Sunshine, there were a few missions that were so frustrating it ruined the game for me.
The loving squid racing red coin level.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Butter Hole posted:

It didn't ruin the game for me (Galaxy), I just prefer a button. Shaking your controller like an idiot will never be as efficient or responsive as a button.

Maybe I am wrong, but the only motion controls I recall in Galaxy 1+2 were waggling to launch yourself and picking up the globs that were not coins.

I never beat the games but I played the first couple of planets/systems.

Were there more annoying things about motion that I don't know about? I found the motions I described to be novel. Granted, I didn't stick it out for the whole drat game.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Beastie posted:

Maybe I am wrong, but the only motion controls I recall in Galaxy 1+2 were waggling to launch yourself and picking up the globs that were not coins.

I never beat the games but I played the first couple of planets/systems.

Were there more annoying things about motion that I don't know about? I found the motions I described to be novel. Granted, I didn't stick it out for the whole drat game.

The spin move that you use all the drat time

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Odyssey has some motion stuff, too. It's the only thing I'm kinda skeptical/worried about. Someone at the demo event was doing this goofy horse racing motion to get Mario to roll around, and certain moves with Cappy are decidedly easier with split Joy-Cons. I couldn't figure out how to continually roll without doing the dumb motion.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Spellman posted:

Until Odyssey

sPoiLER ALERT

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Motion controls are actually cool and good now,

Thanks for reading.

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

Tempura Wizard posted:

Thanks for reading.

Doing it to aim in splatoon or zelda or whatever is one thing, just please dont bind a jump to a waggle, it doesn't even make sense

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
So when will italian man adventures be available for pre-purchase? Has nintendo given any news on that front?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Butter Hole posted:

Doing it to aim in splatoon or zelda or whatever is one thing, just please dont bind a jump to a waggle, it doesn't even make sense

Agreed. Thankfully jump isn’t waggle in SMO. The dark days of DKC Returns are blissfully behind us.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

motion controls are only good if they are optional. not being able to do poo poo like a spin jump or a donkey kong roll without using a waggle is bad, because it will never be as precise as a button. I'm glad Switch basically was forced to do this because it's a hybrid portable because boy don't even try motion control on a train

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tempura Wizard posted:

Thanks for reading.

While I agree, I sometimes find myself contorting like a madman to fire arrows in BoTW when I could instead be using a combination of motion and the stick to center myself. I guess the tongue-sticking-out-bending-with-the-NES-controller-as-a-kid spirit lives within us all.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Did the USA not get BoI:A on sale?

What the gently caress Australia give it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Motion controls are fun if you are five years old and are playing an interactive game of hokey pokey or anything designed specifically for toddlers.

Otherwise they are a ridiculous, annoying, and obvious gimmick in every single other context and will always be inferior to a button press and will also always make me feel like a flailing, blithering idiot if I'm forced to use them, so I won't.

So yeah, games with required motion controls are an automatic no for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GreatGreen posted:

Motion controls are fun if you are five years old and are playing an interactive game of hokey pokey or anything designed specifically for toddlers.

Otherwise they are a ridiculous, annoying, and obvious gimmick in every single other context and will always be inferior to a button press and will also always make me feel like a flailing, blithering idiot if I'm forced to use them, so I won't.

People who say poo poo like this always remind me of people freaking out about control sticks vs d-pads.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

It's fine to dislike motion controls but good god you are being ridiculous about it

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DLC Inc posted:

motion controls are only good if they are optional

The original Samba de Amigo disagrees with you

Motion controls can be good when mandatory, but

1. Needs a high amount of precision in terms of allowing players to perform their actions correctly (where a lot of Wii games failed)

2. Motions need to be designed to be intuitive to perform and match character actions, yet not interfere with coordination to on screen actions (why added waggle usually feels at best useless and at worst counter-intuitive to function)

3. Acceptance that motion controls are not universally liked. Some people have motor deficits. Some people are just lazy motherfuckers. Whatever the case, not everyone is going to like every degree of Motion control and there's nothing you can do about those groups.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

I get not liking motion controls but Jesus Christ

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'm not sure which Tim should feel more insulted by that comparison.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I don't know what to say guys, I just don't like em. v :) v

Sorry if that's too goony of an opinion for you guys or whatever but I just think they're dumb and gimmicky, and imprecise.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 24, 2017

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Surprised The Mummy Demastered still doesn't have any reviews anywhere

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Vikar Jerome posted:

what, wasnt it working awhile back? they added it for the pokken pads and poo poo. i remember videos, in this thread (or the other one) where people were trying it with that tetris game. all it was doing was turning the stick into a d-pad and half of the games didnt work right.

That was with the Mayflash PC dongle in the 3.0 update, this is your actual proper Nintendo adapter.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You're actually the worst person alive, my dude.

agreed

You should go back to pretending you were getting death threats from this thread that was kind of funny

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know what to say guys, I just don't like em. V :) V

Sorry if that's too goony of an opinion for you guys or whatever but I just think they're dumb and gimmicky, and imprecise.

It's not so much the opinion it's the way you conveyed it (like a big ol nerd)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Zelder posted:

You should go back to pretending you were getting death threats from this thread that was kind of funny

remember that?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Zelder posted:

It's not so much the opinion it's the way you conveyed it (like a big ol nerd)

Yeah, I went a bit overboard on the internet hyperbole I suppose, hah.

Still though, looking back I've never bought a game with motion controls, and there have been some games I was interested in but didn't get because they had motion controls. I can't be the only one.
By contrast, I can't imagine there's ever been anybody who wanted to buy a game but didn't because there were no motion controls.

Also anybody older than pre-teen I've seen playing motion controlled games in public have all looked ridiculous.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 24, 2017

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What about bongo controls?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/78gy1i/the_future_is_now/

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Modern motion controlls are real good actually sorry you can't move properly

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Motion owns for it things that make it more precise such as aiming in Zelda and Splatoon.

A lot of reviewers are saying the motion in Mario Odyssey is great and may be the definitive way to go.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I look forward to playing Odyssey standing, docked, with split joy con.

While in handheld at my desk at work during lunch.

Docked with my pro controller.

On the counter with my pro controller while I cook dinner.

Super Mario Odyssey will be perfect for the Switch.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I will not be using motion controls in this Mario game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

GreatGreen posted:

Also anybody older than pre-teen I've seen playing motion controlled games in public have all looked ridiculous.

Oh poo poo, I forgot that I was supposed to look serious when I played video games, because video games are a serious hobby!

I was playing my 3DS in public just yesterday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Motion controls are still awful only if they have to be reset/re-centered every five minutes.

Currently having Playstation Move "calibration" flashbacks; thanks for the trigger, goons.

• Locked thread