Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Those look fantastic, I like the spectroscopic graph looking signature part in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bistromatic posted:

Finally got the next round of base prototypes done. I think i'm getting really close to a final design. Next step is making a small set and actually playtesting them. If everything goes well i'll be presenting Tricked Out Dropfleet at a local con in february.

There's three sizes: 35mm with up to 8HP, 50mm with up to 16HP and 65mm with up to 24HP

Looks great, though I think the three levels are a bit too big in difference.

I have the same paint scheme for the most part. Grey with teal armor sections!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I've got to wonder how stable that battleship in high orbit is. Most of the tables I play on are not perfectly flat.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

wdarkk posted:

I've got to wonder how stable that battleship in high orbit is. Most of the tables I play on are not perfectly flat.

Well... You can adjust the height from the looks of it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Well... You can adjust the height from the looks of it.

I though the height adjustment was used to indicate orbital layer.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yeah, the height adjustment is meant to display orbital layers. But the antennas i'm currently using have five segments, if you want to go all out you can do 1-3-5 segments for the three layers, if youre worried about stability you could tone it down to 1-2-3 segments. That said, the weights are heavy enought that the ships are pretty drat stable even at full extension. The larger sizes are actually more stable because the amount of lead i can cram into the base increases faster than the weight of the ships but all of them will right themself from at least 30° tilt.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Those are such nice bases!

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
Those bases are amazing. I was thinking that it would be cool to use telescoping flight stands to show orbital layers, but couldn't find a good deal on getting those in bulk.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The handling of the FAQ/Tournament packs/experimental rules for DFC have really killed my enthusiasm for hawk stuff, help me thread. :(

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Honestly, tell Hawk Liam. They need a kick im the rear end about it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
What happened?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Just my guess but all the material you need is pretty scattered among multiple pdfs, making it a hassle to actually assemble it into a coherent whole. I mean it's not that dire to me personally but there's lots of room for improvement.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
The claim last month was that the collated document was text complete and (ready to be) off to the graphic designer.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I haven't made it to many Hawk tournaments of late so haven't been paying as close attention tbh. I did find the errata/FAQ weirdly awkward to find last I looked.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I feel like Hawk has really been struggling as of late to get everything organized. They supposedly sent all the wave to non-print stuff a while ago... but never actually told backers that they should have gotten their stuff... and I have to think they messed up somewhere as a bunch of us have not gotten our scourge space station kits. Additionally there has not been any action on the store credit for not getting map packs.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Pash posted:

I feel like Hawk has really been struggling as of late to get everything organized. They supposedly sent all the wave to non-print stuff a while ago... but never actually told backers that they should have gotten their stuff... and I have to think they messed up somewhere as a bunch of us have not gotten our scourge space station kits. Additionally there has not been any action on the store credit for not getting map packs.

I just wanna be able to order a Battlefleet box from a US retailer...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like Hawk has really been running itself ragged ever since the Dropfleet kickstarter. Doing DZC 2E pretty much immediately after that and moving their production facility while there's shortages of product hasn't really helped.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think the Dropfleet kickstarter fulfilment issues nailed home the need for hawk to expand. Their warehouse simply wasn't big enough and by the sounds of it they needed to expand their resin casting as well.

There is never a good time to stop everything and move unless you are somehow in a position to get a new site up and running without taking the old place apart to move it.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
While we wait for stock, let's post some spaceships

While not easily noticeable, i painted silver dots on all the tentacles. so many dots

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
So i'll be helping out with the Hawk booth at the Spiel later this week. Anyone got interesting things i should try asking/yelling at the Hawk folks?

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Can you ask them on specifics about the tournament structure they've mentioned, please? I heard about it for the first time this weekend at a DFC event from a talon, and he mentioned regional/championship tournaments and qualifiers but nothing more detailed than that.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Is DzC2 coming this year?

Any plans to expand Dropfleet soon now that everything from the book is out?

Are Princess liner scenario's still going to be a thing?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

When are the Kickstarters for Dropfleet Armada, Dropsquad Commander, and Dropsquad Soldier?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sojenus posted:

When are the Kickstarters for Dropfleet Armada, Dropsquad Commander, and Dropsquad Soldier?

I really don't want HAWK to turn into Spartan Games 2.0, but since they've decided to stop selling models, poo poo I dunno

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Organized play has been talked about for a while now, i'll ask if there's any new developments.

DZC 2.0 has definitely been pushed to 2018, they're aiming for april right now.

Rumor has it that Dave will announce acquisition of the Halo license at Spiel along with the timeline for the associated kickstarters. not actually a rumor

They allegedly finished moving facilities and are in the process of switching distributors so maybe we'll actually be able to purchase things Soon :v:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Some interesting news going round Facebook,

TTcombat have apparently bought Hawk Wargames? So far i've only been able to source this to here https://www.facebook.com/TheOutpostSheffield/photos/pcb.1724594040945600/1724592380945766/?type=3 but hey, TTcombat have multiple games of their own and are quick to deliver, could be a good thing!

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Yeah looks like troll trader/kingsley distribution have stepped in to be an investor (and presumably exclusive distributor?) for Hawk.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

quote:

The next couple of months will be a little hectic as we get everything back on track, but once we do, hold on tight! We have some exciting years ahead... a third Commander game in 2018 anyone?
TTCombat

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uh. Holy poo poo.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Full text from the Dropfleet KS update:

quote:

Today we have an extremely exciting announcement here at TTCombat. We have completed a deal with Hawk Wargames to purchase both the incredible Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander.
For the past few months we have been talking to Hawk about handling their logistics. The difficulty of off-site production combined with fulfilling one of the most successful UK wargaming Kickstarters of all time was putting strain on their business.

David Lewis is one of the most talented designers in the industry; he's made two amazing games and a beautiful range of miniatures to support them. However, as time went on, David found himself spending most of his time running a company and dealing with the fall-out from the Dropfleet Commander Kickstarter.

After discussions on how to best move the business forward into 2018 and beyond, we both came to the conclusion that it would be better for Hawk Wargames to become a part of the TTCombat family.

David is of course staying on as lead designer and will now have his time freed up to do what he does best: design breath-taking miniatures. The TTCombat team have been working on a range of buildings and accessories which will launch alongside Dropzone Commander 2.0 at Salute in April, and there will be plenty more before then!

We have a lot of moulds that require remaking, so some supplies may be a bit short while we facilitate the transition, so we please ask all the DZC and DFC fans to be patient with us during this time. If you've followed TTCombat in the past, you'll know that it won't be long before everything is up and running.

The Dropfleet Commander Battle Fleet box deals will finally see release at the end of November and we are already building a good quantity of stock to ensure we can meet demand. David has already begun work on the destroyers for Dropfleet and they are looking fantastic!

The Dropfleet Commander Kickstarter still has some items outstanding, and we at TTCombat will be ensuring that all backers will receive all of their rewards promptly. If we have to make your toys from scratch then we will get pouring resin! There are also some outstanding vouchers, which of course we will be honouring via the TTCombat webstore. Once we have organised the stock we have collected from Hawk and got it all listed, you'll be able to choose from any Dropzone Commander or Dropfleet Commander products, or the full range of TTCombat games, scenery, and accessories!

The next couple of months will be a little hectic as we get everything back on track, but once we do, hold on tight! We have some exciting years ahead... a third Commander game in 2018 anyone?

TTCombat

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Oh no, I am super not excited about a 3rd system (unless it is a p&p rpg I guess), would prefer the new faction they keep not talking about.

Otherwise that's good.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Incy posted:

Oh no, I am super not excited about a 3rd system (unless it is a p&p rpg I guess), would prefer the new faction they keep not talking about.

Otherwise that's good.

Personally I think it's a bit hubris-y to tease a third system when they just delayed DZC 2.0, but whatever. Teasing isn't a firm commitment. As for the system itself, I'm really hoping for a small-unit skirmish game, mostly because I want a 28mm Medusa.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

have a gigantic picture of my Scourge battlecruiser. Heavily inspired by one i saw elsewhere, but man the new resin battlecruiser is way loving cooler than this design.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

So my jaw hit the floor. Genuinely did not see Dave selling the company as a likely thing to happen! I'm not sure I love the idea, but it does make sense. Hawk have clearly been struggling to keep up with demand this past year as they never have seemed to get over the hump of the Dropfleet launch. The kickstarter dragged on and on, stock levels have been low as new products trickled out, Dropzone has been painfully quiet and news of upcoming releases has been damned quiet.

Hopefully they are keeping the core team together. Would be sad as hell if Hawk ends up being Dave working from home while TTCombat's growing drone horde make and ship stuff he emails in. I guess the optimistic outcome is that Team Hawk becomes purely a design studio rolling out a steady stream of well play tested new cool things with a solid and professional production and distribution team keeping things reliably in stock and the overheads down.

I've used TTCombat a fe times for MDF scenery and they have given me no reason to be unhappy with prices or service. I'm a bit concerned at the pace they are acquiring games and companies at the moment though. They are certainly ambitious!

New 'Commander' game in 2018 doesn't fill me with joy much. It will probably be an infantry game as they were showing off lots of Infantry concept art at last Invasion I gather. I'm hoping it isn't a 28/35mm thing. That market is feeling crowded, if it isn't something ambitiously new and different I don't see it gaining ground in the face of 40K, Necromunda, Warpath, Gates of Antares, Fallout and all the rest vying for attention. Not to mention Pulp/weird/modern or fantasy stuff.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
There wasn't much infantry art (in fact, there wasn't much new concept art at all). There were some pieces posted to facebook, but I think they were old.

I've shifted my bet towards a dogfighting game. If they are doing 28mm then they will need to hire more people, as Dave's sculpting style doesn't really do people (go take a look at the dzc early infantry to see what I mean), and it's a fairly popular style at the moment.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah, my bet is on yet another x-wing type game. I'm really not seeing this move to ttcombat or a new game as a positive. We'll see, I guess.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah my understanding was that Dave doesn't like to sculpt humanoids but then he had been looking at hiring another CAD guy. Guess that didn't pan out? Dogfighting game might work, but I dunno if I want to play that and Dropfleet. It would probably be aimed at shorter play sessions I guess.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
New game will actually be a Blood Bowl clone. The four factions set aside their differences and come together for galaxywide tournament action. Coming soon in 2018: Endzone Commander.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Must have been a bundle deal with the Avenger.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Loxbourne posted:

New game will actually be a Blood Bowl clone. The four factions set aside their differences and come together for galaxywide tournament action. Coming soon in 2018: Endzone Commander.

This would actually be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

the white sphere was actually just a soccer ball with a speaker inside it