Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

I wish they had a non windowed version. I don't like the thought of shattering the tempered glass window when moving the thing.

TG is pretty strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17lYoYlStg&t=248s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

underage at the vape shop posted:

I cant see how thick it is but it should be closer to a shower screen than a wine glass.

I've seen dozens of pictures online of people saying they just picked up the case and the glass just shattered. I've seen a few of saying, "didn't even touch it." Then I've seen the I was putting it back on and it shattered while tightening the thumb screws. Obviously the last one is user error. My problem with TG is that the system is no longer closed, they leave gaps between the TG and frame. Following that up, you're going to have to make the case positive pressure and be diligent in keeping the TG clean.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It's one of those things that's really strong... until it isn't. Catastrophic failure mode.

Of course, it would be trivially easy to swap out the glass with a plate of acrylic or polycarbonate if it worries you so much, they would scratch more easily but be harder to crack.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

When you have tempered glass you’re also losing an entire surface that should probably be perforated on a mini-ITX build.

How big is that case? It looks like 40-50 liters.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think I read it's sub 30.

As far as the software goes, I'm in two minds - it's not 100% OK that they're collecting data, but on the other hand, what are they gonna do with crowdsourced fan curve information? It's not exactly my CC numbers.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

According to the dimensions listed on that page, it's 26.1L.

I do wish there were a windowless version, but still, that sure is tempting.

e: or 27.3L if you want to count the feet, I guess.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Just don't install 3rd party software? :shrug:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

kloa posted:

When you're paying a premium for a "smart" case that allows you to control RGB lighting and fans along with the adaptive noise reduction feature, it sucks that it's locked behind proprietary software that has telemetry built into it. There's no reason for NZXT to collect information from you just for "case" software.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SlayVus posted:

I've seen dozens of pictures online of people saying they just picked up the case and the glass just shattered. I've seen a few of saying, "didn't even touch it." Then I've seen the I was putting it back on and it shattered while tightening the thumb screws. Obviously the last one is user error. My problem with TG is that the system is no longer closed, they leave gaps between the TG and frame. Following that up, you're going to have to make the case positive pressure and be diligent in keeping the TG clean.

it's probably a pretty even split between people not knowing how to handle anything, and said thing being built as cheaply as possible. i'm not crying too much over people who think case windows look good getting their hands sliced up tho

kloa posted:

it's first party software. you need it to use the thing that you bought

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Generic Monk posted:

it's probably a pretty even split between people not knowing how to handle anything, and said thing being built as cheaply as possible. i'm not crying too much over people who think case windows look good getting their hands sliced up tho

Tempered glass is supposed to be strong, but the weak point can be the four screw holes. If the manufacturer cuts corners, the corners cut YOU.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Ok, so what’s a similar case that would accept a water cooling setup? There’s gotta be some other options besides my Core V1 to house my 1080 Ti Hybrid that doesn’t presume I’ll also be needing a huge CPU heatsink either.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

necrobobsledder posted:

Ok, so what’s a similar case that would accept a water cooling setup? There’s gotta be some other options besides my Core V1 to house my 1080 Ti Hybrid that doesn’t presume I’ll also be needing a huge CPU heatsink either.

Fractal Define Nano S, though it might be a little bigger or the NZXT Manta if you like bulbous things.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Fractal Define Nano S

This. I built a full loop in one with no issue.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SlayVus posted:

Yeah nah it doesnt shatter like that unless you drop it on a corner or something. Obviously shower screens are really thick but those can last the life of the house. This is the same stuff, just downscaled.

If you can shatter a tempered glass panel, you are being way to rough with your pc and are probably gunna break components. Glass doesnt just shatter for no good reason. Id put money on the vast majority of those cases being broken by user error.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Wow I just read how horrible NZXT's CAM software is with its telemetry. When issues were addressed by concerned customers, they doubled down saying it was good for the customer that NZXT had their information. What a horrible company. I was going to maybe get the H200i but not anymore

I don't have it installed, works fine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

This. I built a full loop in one with no issue.
Top or front mounted radiator? I just got one myself and I'm hoping I can squeeze an ekwb SE 240 with dual fans into the top.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah nah it doesnt shatter like that unless you drop it on a corner or something. Obviously shower screens are really thick but those can last the life of the house. This is the same stuff, just downscaled.

If you can shatter a tempered glass panel, you are being way to rough with your pc and are probably gunna break components. Glass doesnt just shatter for no good reason. Id put money on the vast majority of those cases being broken by user error.

this matches up with what I know about glass, particularly with shower screens being sturdy as gently caress. What about manufacturing faults? Do ya reckon that shower screens and case panels are soured/manufactured in the same way?

I only ask cos there's heaps of people online saying their glass arrives busted or just gives up during assembly. Figured there's probs some variation or manufacturing faults out there.

Altho tbf most people wouldn't ever install their own shower glass and wouldn't be aware of how often it breaks (if at all)

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Top or front mounted radiator? I just got one myself and I'm hoping I can squeeze an ekwb SE 240 with dual fans into the top.

I used that exact rad on the front. I couldn’t fit it into the top mounting point with my board.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

VulgarandStupid posted:

EVGA GTX 1080Ti with Arctic Cooling Accelero 3 cooler

Here's some pics with the panels off.

This looks pretty great. I've been thinking lately about setting up an aftermarket GPU cooler with an intake shroud, but this looks a lot more compact than the 5-slot solution I was dreaming up. How well do the fans line up with the bottom intakes? Whats the deal with that flat bit over the heat pipes? Did you have to modify the Accelero?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I have been using a EVGA hadron air with a i5-4590 and a gtx 970 which i have loved for a long time. Now that the new 8th gen intels are out, planning on upgrading to the 8600k and do some mild OC this time. Any recommendations for a case that look as good as the Hadron and one that i can air cool (is that even possible with OCing or should i go with an AIO this time, since alot of people seem to do that with SFF builds these days).

Edit: any one know the possible release for the in win cube a1. That thing looks beautiful once I build a wooden base instead of the plastic one for it.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 20, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Maxwell Adams posted:

This looks pretty great. I've been thinking lately about setting up an aftermarket GPU cooler with an intake shroud, but this looks a lot more compact than the 5-slot solution I was dreaming up. How well do the fans line up with the bottom intakes? Whats the deal with that flat bit over the heat pipes? Did you have to modify the Accelero?

The flat bit is just part of the heatsink, it’s not modified at all except I took the fan shroud off. The fans line up perfectly with the bottom intakes, they are mounted to the case not the cooler, but you have about 1cm of wiggle room towards the front or the back.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Was really interested in building a console-sized i7/1080ish rig in a couple of months but being really concerned with cooling and noise (especially as I plan to put it on my desk) I'm thinking of going full on with a Define Nano S with a full liquid cooling loop.

I've never done custom liquid cooling, only AIO, what are good sources to catch up to the currently available market?

Other cases suggestion? I think the Define Nano S is very nice (it would replace my Define R4 so I know what to expect) but a tad wide for a Mini-ITX.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I forgot to mention that the Asrock X299E-ITX/ac is out now. Which goon is going to make a mini-ITX i9??

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Olivil posted:

Was really interested in building a console-sized i7/1080ish rig in a couple of months but being really concerned with cooling and noise (especially as I plan to put it on my desk) I'm thinking of going full on with a Define Nano S with a full liquid cooling loop.

I've never done custom liquid cooling, only AIO, what are good sources to catch up to the currently available market?

Other cases suggestion? I think the Define Nano S is very nice (it would replace my Define R4 so I know what to expect) but a tad wide for a Mini-ITX.

i owned a define nano s for some time. it's a great case and incredibly quiet, but it's not even approaching console sized. it's closer sized to a micro atx tower. i'm not much of a water cooling guy but i think there's ample room for you to put in a custom loop; anything smaller is likely to get a hell of a lot more fiddly.

honestly if you're concerned about noise air cooling is still the way to go. i ran an aio liquid setup on my desk for a bit and i could definitely feel pump vibration and hear pump noise. conversely the nano s with the noctua 90mm tower cooler (i had an ncase m1 originally hence the small cooler, you can fit a massive cpu cooler in the nano s) and the msi armor 1070 (so decent cooling on both counts but nowhere close to best in class) was virtually silent, even running an overclocked i7. utility wise it's a great case, just make sure you check how big it is as it's not really a console sized thing you can pick up under your arm and seclude away.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Olivil posted:

I've got an ML08 (internally identical to an RVZ02) with an I5 7600K @ 4.5GHZ and an GTX 1080 SC2 @ ~2100MHZ. I modded the ML08 to accept 3x80mm fans on top to aid with GPU exhaust. It's drat near silent at idle, and doesn't get THAT loud when everything's spinning at high RPM, but that's a metric so subjective that it's useless to you, I'm sure.

I'd recommend going with a relatively large air cooler, and picking a case that'll accommodate it. I'm using a no-name passive heatsink paired with a Noctua NF-F12, with a total height of 65mm. 40mm for the heatsink and 25mm for the fan. A Noctua or Silverstone 92mm cooler just can't compare. The thing is, the manufacturer states the total allowance for a CPU cooler in the ML08/RVZ02 is 58mm, and there's some definite bulge on the exterior panel that covers the CPU cooler, so I could see why one might not want to go with such a setup.

Silverstone also produces the RVZ01 and RVZ03, which each will allow a CPU cooler up to 83mm in height. I feel like this is a good middle ground if you're wanting some of the slimness of an RVZ02/ML08, but don't want to pull the crazy poo poo I did to get it to work well and relatively quietly. Depending on how deep down the rabbit hole you're willing to go, you could also check out the SFF subforum at OC.N. They've got a few threads dedicated to the more popular ITX cases, and they're loaded with pictures of builds with every air or water setup you could ever think of.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Olivil posted:

Like Generic Monk said, the Nano S isn't really a console sized case and doing a custom loop in anything smaller would be a real pain. I built my loop using EK stuff, and while spendy, it's completely silent save for an ever so slight fan whir at extended full load. No pump noise or vibration at all. I'm going to pull mine apart this weekend and swap the 220 slim radiator for a 240 slim and clean up the cabling. There's not a lot of extra room in there, but you could save some space by going with a smaller pump / reservoir combo and slim profile fans.

My build out:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352062&cm_re=fractal_design_s-_-11-352-062-_-Product

Fractal Nano S on sale for $55. Not a bad price.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are we ever going to see front USB C ports on cases and motherboards?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Are we ever going to see front USB C ports on cases and motherboards?

My Z270i has a USB 3.1 gen2 port on the inside that's for cases with USB C ports to use, so we're halfway there, but as far as the other half? Not a clue

Edit: Lian-Li does make a cable that would allow you to add a USB C slot to your case if you already have a mobo that supports it

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 25, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

My Z270i has a USB 3.1 gen2 port on the inside that's for cases with USB C ports to use, so we're halfway there, but as far as the other half? Not a clue

Edit: Lian-Li does make a cable that would allow you to add a USB C slot to your case if you already have a mobo that supports it

Note this does not require the CASE to support USB C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFF2vujTv4

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Linus covered a few new SFF systems,

https://youtu.be/6DzjUT0HTZc

https://youtu.be/AR78IvzYR8E

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Not to intentionally rain on the parade, but it's the exactly the same volume as my new budget CM Masterbox 3 mATX case. Which is why I lost most of my love towards the ITX+ATX PSU combo.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
What cards are you guys using to get additional Sata ports? I've been using a Sata II card for two disks but I keep seeing latency issues during resyncs of the array.

That card is also seven years old so I've decided it's time to swap in a Sata III expansion card. Is the SYBA SI-PEX40064 a good choice? I only need it for the two disks so that seems sufficient. I'm running Fedora Core so it must be linux compatible.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ashex posted:

What cards are you guys using to get additional Sata ports? I've been using a Sata II card for two disks but I keep seeing latency issues during resyncs of the array.

That card is also seven years old so I've decided it's time to swap in a Sata III expansion card. Is the SYBA SI-PEX40064 a good choice? I only need it for the two disks so that seems sufficient. I'm running Fedora Core so it must be linux compatible.

The main choices for SATA cards seem to be ASMedia or Marvell based, both of which work with Linux. They can be finicky though, and a more stable and performant choice is a used LSI SAS card, like the IBM M1015 or Dell H310, both of which can be had for $50 or less on eBay.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Good lord MSI makes the ugliest poo poo

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Palladium posted:

Not to intentionally rain on the parade, but it's the exactly the same volume as my new budget CM Masterbox 3 mATX case. Which is why I lost most of my love towards the ITX+ATX PSU combo.

True, I had a mATX build in the Cooler Master N200 case which is similar. I loved it but switched over to the ITX form factor. The only thing that sucks is that there aren't many mATX mobos with the features I want on the Z370 platform.

Anyways, I just finished my 8700k Coffee Lake ITX build. It's not really a SFF since it's in the Fractal Design Nano S but I wanted a case that could fit the Noctua NH-D15 so I can keep temperatures low.

It's a tight fit but it worked. Running Prime95 with AVX temp stress test, the CPU doesn't get hotter then 75 degrees C at an Overclock of 5.0 Ghz @ 1.30 v

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 27, 2017

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Rabid Snake posted:

It's a tight fit but it worked. Running Prime95 with AVX temp stress test, the CPU doesn't get hotter then 75 degrees C.

what about the GPU? Looking at a very similar setup.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Olivil posted:

what about the GPU? Looking at a very similar setup.

I went with a blower card since the power supply is so close to the card. If you want an open air cooler, I would get a SFX power supply to give your GPU more breathing room. I don't know how using an open air GPU would affect the CPU thermals since the open air GPU would be recycling the hot air in the case. You can probably avoid this problem if you delid, but I didn't delid. This doesn't matter if you use an AIO CPU cooler.

The GPU doesn't get hotter then 70 degrees but I manually set the fan curve to be aggressive so it can boost to 2000MHz. The default settings are quieter (doesn't sound like a jet engine) but the GPU hits 80 degrees and the card's max boost becomes 1900MHz.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 27, 2017

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, seeing my 1080 Ti emit enough heat that the system cooling capacity of my Core V1 is overwhelmed makes me think some things just aren’t possible without moving some elements outside the chassis itself. So at the moment if I want to do anything SFF with that card I’m looking for a case where I can mount my radiator outside the case itself for air rather than inside, and most cases in the market segment just aren’t going to put up with that kind of tomfoolery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm running an open cooler 1080 Ti in the Nano S, it's workable but I wouldn't recommend it as the case doesn't quite have enough airflow. I really wish the top of the case had a dust filter.