Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

IdealFlaws posted:

Has anyone here played Mario 3d world? How does it hold up to galaxy? It seemed like more of the same great stuff that made galaxy a blast to play except the camera angle was fixed
I've felt this way for a while but I think 3D World is one of the most underrated Mario games, in that it's near as makes no difference in the conversation for greatest Mario games ever yet only ever gets talked up as being decent.

Comparing it to Galaxy 1/2 is kind of an apples and orange sort of argument for me because they're trying for very different things. I'd probably say I like them equally but part of me feels like defending 3D World because of its aforementioned underrated-ness so for now I'll say it's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

galaxy and galaxy 2 are very different games. 3d world is galaxy 2-2

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

3D World is really really good and is even better when you play it with friends. Nothing quite like finishing a whole castle without anyone in your group dying only for some rear end in a top hat to toss you off a cliff on your way to the flagpole for laughs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

whoever "wins" the level gets to wear a huge crown in the next one which you can steal by beating them up. it owns

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Also there is a powerup that turns your face into a perpetually-firing cannon complete with friendly fire.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bowser Themed Park is one of my favorite final Mario worlds. Just had a giant grin the whole time traversing that overworld/set of levels.

Champion's Road is also one of the hardest Mario levels I've ever played and beating it is one of my most cherished gaming accomplishments.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IdealFlaws posted:

Has anyone here played Mario 3d world? How does it hold up to galaxy? It seemed like more of the same great stuff that made galaxy a blast to play except the camera angle was fixed
I loving love 3D World, but it plays very differently from Galaxy and you have to get used to the angle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

raditts posted:

The only thing it has in common with Mario 2 is the characters you can play as. Otherwise it's more like Mario 3 than anything.

Just not feeling it. A big thing about Doki Doki Panic's design is that it started out as "multiplayer 2D platformer with focus on verticality" and Mario 3D World's levels are as much about going up as left to right. I mean yeah the game doesn't have the pacing and exploration of Mario 2, but if Doki Doki Panic had been a huge hit and Miyamoto went from there, then 3D World's design makes a lot more sense.

Although with that said Mario 3's original design doc was "isometric platformer" and that is basically Land/World. Still, I like that Nintendo is dipping into their old designs because Breath of the Wild is ostensibly 3D Zelda 1 + 2 and I couldn't be happier as someone who got burned out after Wind Waker.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Polling everyone here: what is, in your opinion, the best version of Resident Evil 4?

I picked up the PS4 version and am falling in love all over again. God drat, why is this game so good.

By the VideoGames rating system, this is easily a F5/G5 or whatever the hell

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Earth Table posted:

Polling everyone here: what is, in your opinion, the best version of Resident Evil 4?

I picked up the PS4 version and am falling in love all over again. God drat, why is this game so good.

By the VideoGames rating system, this is easily a F5/G5 or whatever the hell
Wii Edition. Has all of the content and the best aiming system/controls.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

I think bringing back the elusive targets at this point is probably a good idea. I love the basic idea of them--having unique, time-limited targets where you only get one shot is a super cool idea--but I think adding them back in long after their initial appearance doesn't really dilute the effect enough to be a problem. Meanwhile, if you didn't own the game yet, now you have a bunch of extra targets, which is also cool.

Very cool. I remember being super mad at SuperBunnyHop whomping about how “anti-consumer” Hitman was, as if they weren’t going to bring them back at some point like every single preorder DLC ever repackaged and sold.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I think that kind of makes it too easy. It's not a particularly difficult game to start with but with the Wii controls it's just straight up trivial.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Very cool. I remember being super mad at SuperBunnyHop whomping about how “anti-consumer” Hitman was, as if they weren’t going to bring them back at some point like every single preorder DLC ever repackaged and sold.

If IO didn't also get the IP when they became independent, the content probably wouldn't have come back

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I would imagine that's the favorite, but I actually had trouble getting into the Wii version. It was almost too easy to shoot, and I think one of the best parts of the game is the tension of trying to line up a good shot while the enemy/enemies are coming toward you.

I'm sure it's less pretty than the most recent PC version, but i'm very surprised by how good it looks and plays on PS4. Very spooky lighting.

e: beaten like a spanish cult zombie

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Andrast posted:

I think that kind of makes it too easy. It's not a particularly difficult game to start with but with the Wii controls it's just straight up trivial.
I like pretending to be Cool Guy Action Hero Leon and headshoting fools left and right.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hey chat thread if I want to make a badass arcade style fightstick for PC/PS4 where should I start? I've got a bunch of electronics projects I'm putting off until I can get some soldering practice in and get my ~~skillz~~ back, and soldering big drat buttons seems like Easy Mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You don't need to solder to make a fightstick I don't think. You just plug a bunch of parts (sticks and buttons) into a board and find a case you like

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any good mech-themed strategy or RPG games for the PC? All I know of is the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander series.

EDIT: And Strike Suit Zero and Sunrider, of course.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Are there any good mech-themed strategy or RPG games for the PC? All I know of is the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander series.

The Harebrained Schemes Battletech game is shooting for an early 2018 release.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CommissarMega posted:

Brigador?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CommissarMega posted:

if you're willing to dig into pc-98 anime tie-in games there's a fully translated macross srpg lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

metal gear rising

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

I know it's not quite what you're looking for but have you considered Madden? Very strategic and the buff football men are very similar to mechs.

i couldn't find the actual quote :(

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/persona-5-ultimate-edition/cid=UP2611-CUSA05877_00-P5PS4ULTIMATE001 What is Atlus smoking?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hahaha what the gently caress

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What is it? The link just redirects me to the Finnish ps store for the normal game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's a GotY edition but it's 150 USD and all the DLC is just costumes and a new difficulty setting.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Bowser Themed Park is one of my favorite final Mario worlds. Just had a giant grin the whole time traversing that overworld/set of levels.

Champion's Road is also one of the hardest Mario levels I've ever played and beating it is one of my most cherished gaming accomplishments.

That bowser themed park level sounds incredible. I'm going to dust off my Wii U and see how far I can get before friday

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ometeotl posted:

It's a GotY edition but it's 150 USD and all the DLC is just costumes and a new difficulty setting.

I assume that's the difficulty everyone already has that was/is free DLC

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's listed at 125 for me but still.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Destiny 2 is out but I have to work :geno:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

More games should adopt the $1/1hr payment plan.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It's just laughably bad. ATLUS usually seems to be sorta in tune with their fanbase so I wonder how they hosed this up so hard - hopefully their ear is to the ground enough to realize all the different ways this package sucks so when it sells like eight copies total they're not left thinking the game itself is bad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

ATLUS usually seems to be sorta in tune with their fanbase

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
It's literally just a dlc bundle for people that are getting into the game now.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

took out cash for dlc
spending one-fifty usd
can't hold out or might feel shame

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

It's literally just a dlc bundle for people that are getting into the game now.

yes, that is what a GOTY edition is, except usually the DLCs included weren't free, are more substantial than just gimmicky costumes, and they don't charge more than twice as much for the base game, hth

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Persona 5 thing feels like it has to be a pricing error but it's probably not

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

food court bailiff posted:

yes, that is what a GOTY edition is, except usually the DLCs included weren't free, are more substantial than just gimmicky costumes, and they don't charge more than twice as much for the base game, hth

The dlcs were not free. Are you familiar with the game Persona 5? It looks to be over $100 worth of dlc on the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

The dlcs were not free. Are you familiar with the game Persona 5?

Lol my dude I'm like a hundred hours into Persona 5 and am just at the school trip now. I am very familiar with Persona 5.

The Japanese voice tracks, new difficulty, and several of the costumes were absolutely free. I'm pretty sure the healing items and skill cards were at some point as well, too. The remaining costumes come nowhere near $65 of value. Sorry about your dumb broke brain.

• Locked thread