Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Andrast posted:

Has a pre-order bonus ever ended up being anything worthwhile?

Towlie in the new South Park game is completely useless but hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Andrast posted:

You don't see how getting extra resources for nothing makes a survival horror game progression worse?
Uh no, that's why I asked how it makes RE7 worse.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Uh no, that's why I asked how it makes RE7 worse.

Survival horror games are about making your way through a scary hostile environment with very limited resources.

Giving a player extra stuff that makes the game feel easier absolutely fucks with the intended atmosphere the game tries to achieve.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have you played a Resident Evil game recently, they haven't been survival horror for a long time. 7 kind of pretends to be one for a bit but gives up pretty quickly.
Anyway a couple herbs and a clip of bullets makes effectively zero difference in the long run.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 24, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even in classic RE games I don't think its very hard to become super powerful. Like in REmake you can get the shotgun less than 20 minutes in and the game only gets easier from there.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Have you played a Resident Evil game recently, they haven't been survival horror for a long time. 7 kind of pretends to be one for a bit but gives up pretty quickly.
Anyway a couple herbs and a clip of bullets makes effectively zero difference in the long run.

It either makes the game worse by loving with the resource curve or is of no real benefit then. If you were supposed to have those resources at the beginning of the game, it wouldn't be a preorder bonus.

Either way, it's a bad bonus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plfwgvo59PI

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Andrast posted:

It either makes the game worse by loving with the resource curve or is of no real benefit then. If you were supposed to have those resources at the beginning of the game, it wouldn't be a preorder bonus.

Either way, it's a bad bonus.
Or its of a benefit, just a short term one that doesn't utterly break the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Or its of a benefit, just a short term one that doesn't utterly break the game.

Nobody said anything about it breaking the game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I was thinking more like the pre order armors in one of the mass effects and the suits in dead space, that just passively make your character better and you won't find anything that even remotely compares to it for 75% of the game. I try not to use that kind of bonus even if I have them, but sometimes its not always clear where an item comes from

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I’m pretty sure the average game-buyer loves dlc that breaks the difficulty curve and makes the game easier (as long as it’s not adverstised as being for casuals.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Andrast posted:

Nobody said anything about it breaking the game
Then I have no idea what your concern about the pre-order bonus affecting the "resource curve" in RE7 is about then, if not somehow making the game too easy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Then I have no idea what your concern about the pre-order bonus affecting the "resource curve" in RE7 is about then, if not somehow making the game too easy.

Making the game slightly worse is not the same as "breaking the game".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

:psyduck:

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
Has anyone here played Mario 3d world? How does it hold up to galaxy? It seemed like more of the same great stuff that made galaxy a blast to play except the camera angle was fixed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On the one hand I can understand why it is against the game's design to give you supplies out of the gate when you are intended to start out at none and work your way up from zero. On the other, andrast is severely, very severely to the point of almost comically, overestimating their usefulness.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IdealFlaws posted:

Has anyone here played Mario 3d world? How does it hold up to galaxy? It seemed like more of the same great stuff that made galaxy a blast to play except the camera angle was fixed

Not nearly as good as Galaxy but it was fun to play with my brother.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

IdealFlaws posted:

It's good but closer to a 3D version of the 2D games, but not in a 1:1 way like NSMB, than the more exploration based gameplay of Galaxy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

On the one hand I can understand why it is against the game's design to give you supplies out of the gate when you are intended to start out at none and work your way up from zero. On the other, andrast is severely, very severely to the point of almost comically, overestimating their usefulness.

Well, this discussion was about worthwhile pre-order bonuses.

Either the extra resources are useful, which means that it makes the game slightly worse (assuming the game is well designed) or it doesn't really affect anything since the bonuses are so minor.

Like I said before: Either way it's not a good bonus.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad the ending of castlevania: harmony of dissonance is literally juste saying "it's ok lydie nothing happened here no need to question why you remember maxim nearly killing you" while maxim says "juste, what, the gently caress"

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

i'm glad the ending of castlevania: harmony of dissonance is literally juste saying "it's ok lydie nothing happened here no need to question why you remember maxim nearly killing you" while maxim says "juste, what, the gently caress"

Could go for either of the bad ends which either have Maxim dead or both Lydie and Maxim dead. :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

IdealFlaws posted:

It's a good Mario game, I'd say the best of the multiplayer Mario games too, but it's basically a 2D game with some depth. Like if I could describe to someone who has never played it imagine if the template for 3D Marios was Mario 2 USA.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm sorry but canonically every castlevania game is an adventure that ends with the main character punching dracula in the face and then having a big laugh with all his freinds

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wait til you get to the Sorrow games.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

now its time to play the other game in the castlevania harmony duology

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

now its time to play the other game in the castlevania harmony duology

i'll do it when konami releases it on pc

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The stickied thread in NeoGAF is an incredible read. I know it'll be business as usual in a couple of days with the people who remain because they don't give a poo poo, but so far almost everyone is roasting Evilore knowing full well they'll get banned. :allears:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

business as usual, except everyone that's not a shitstain or at least shitstain-adjacent banned themselves immediately so like business as usual by Reddit or /v/ standards

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah NeoGaf is done with Evilore's bullshit thread and creating forum secret police :lol: all that's left are people who don't know how to make the big threads NeoGaf is known for like weekly sales threads and poo poo plus there's no way any actual developer is going to be posting there or anyone with insider knowledge

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It only took 9 and a half hours but I'm finally on Chaoter 4 of The Evil Within 2

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
This is definitely the week of excess.

This week I’m hyped for:
Hitman announcement (in like 5 minutes)
Destiny 2 on pc in a few more hours (proper Bungie shooter at 1080/60 with kbm? I’m listening....)

Then of course the Thursday of destruction with Wolfenstein 2 and AC Origins. If I had a switch, I’d be buying MARIO as well on Thursday.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Hitman announcement is great. GOTY Edition with the entire base game plus 3 new outfits with their own escalations, 4 new map variants with their own missions, new weapons and rewards and a bunch of other changes to menus and tweaks and crap...god I'm so happy it's back. Oh and they're bringing back all the elusive targets so, they backed off one of the coolest things about the game but whatever

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Back when I played SH1-3 in a row I got a few hours into SH4 but on the PC it kept crashing on some cutscene and I never bothered to get it fixed.

precision posted:

lol ibuki is cool

Ibuki and Chiaki were by far my favorite DR characters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

The Hitman announcement is great. GOTY Edition with the entire base game plus 3 new outfits with their own escalations, 4 new map variants with their own missions, new weapons and rewards and a bunch of other changes to menus and tweaks and crap...god I'm so happy it's back. Oh and they're bringing back all the elusive targets so, they backed off one of the coolest things about the game but whatever

I'm glad about the elusive targets since I missed a ton of them. Does all this come for free if I have the complete first season already?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm glad about the elusive targets since I missed a ton of them. Does all this come for free if I have the complete first season already?

The ET stuff and some graphical updates/contract updates are free. The new maps and outfits are 20 bucks

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I guess that's fair since they are probably real hard up for cash at the moment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think bringing back the elusive targets at this point is probably a good idea. I love the basic idea of them--having unique, time-limited targets where you only get one shot is a super cool idea--but I think adding them back in long after their initial appearance doesn't really dilute the effect enough to be a problem. Meanwhile, if you didn't own the game yet, now you have a bunch of extra targets, which is also cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

IdealFlaws posted:

Mario 3D World is the best Mario game ever made and I can't wait to play Odyssey.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IdealFlaws posted:

3D World is a little more focused than Galaxy I think. Each level generally sticks to one main idea or gimmick, rather than having a bunch of planet islands with individual gimmicks. It makes for a stronger game overall, I think. 3D World is good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

al-azad posted:

It's a good Mario game, I'd say the best of the multiplayer Mario games too, but it's basically a 2D game with some depth. Like if I could describe to someone who has never played it imagine if the template for 3D Marios was Mario 2 USA.

The only thing it has in common with Mario 2 is the characters you can play as. Otherwise it's more like Mario 3 than anything.

• Locked thread