Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Recruits taking notice of the dumb stuff going on around UF

This is our next failed QB who is a key component to the class. If he decommits they'll start dropping like flies.

https://twitter.com/corral_matt/status/922851786406293504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Also

https://twitter.com/thomasgoldkamp/status/922854031915184131

that's what I think happened

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

More likely we'd have a conference champions only tag on playoff eligibility.

Everything I've seen makes me think that the playoff committee has no interest in imposing that kind of restraint on themselves- certainly not with the field at four, and probably not even when they go to 8.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The playoff has literally always been about TV ratings. If you think that philosophy is going to change at all and become more pure with an 8 team format then I have a few bridges to sell you.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

The playoff has literally always been about TV ratings. If you think that philosophy is going to change at all and become more pure with an 8 team format then I have a few bridges to sell you.

This is true, and they don't really give a poo poo about "X-team was left out!!!" controversies. Their biggest challenge going forward is scheduling, because the New Years Eve games have been an absolute bust. Won't matter this year since we're back to Rose & Sugar Bowls in the rotation on New Year's Day, but next year they've moved the semi-finals to Saturday the 29th so we'll see how that works out. It's still not as ideal as Jan 1 games but hey, this is the Rose Bowl's world and we're all just living in it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/matthayescfb/status/922858680860794881

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
https://twitter.com/DavidHaleESPN/status/922859524071067648

QB is a freshman, his WRs are a former #2 senior, a walk-on, and a whole bunch of true freshman.

:getin:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Do people seriously not believe he'd get death threats? People get death threats for giving video games bad reviews. The internet is full of toxic brokebrains and idiotic teenagers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Do people seriously not believe he'd get death threats? People get death threats for giving video games bad reviews. The internet is full of toxic brokebrains and idiotic teenagers.

I think it's more if you don't want to actually do something about it don't whine about it. He has the option of going after the people making threats, which if he doesn't want to do for himself he might want to do for the guys on the team who he also claims have been threatened.

Likely (hopefully) there's no serious threats of course, but if you believe that then just roll with it and go play instead of crying about it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

PostNouveau posted:

I believe him just because sports fans can get retarded but he's got to take action on them, don't just look down at the ground and kick dust like you're embarrassed. If you're going to talk about something that serious you need to be working with people and making sure the morons who did that get punished.

All of the doubt currently being associated to this incident is strictly a result of him not wanting to do anything further. He's done nothing else in his career as a coach (except lie about loving sharks) to make anyone think he's not telling the truth but this is a serious accusation to make and it needs to be followed up on by the authorities. This isn't someone prank calling and asking if your fridge is running.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I think it's more if you don't want to actually do something about it don't whine about it. He has the option of going after the people making threats, which if he doesn't want to do for himself he might want to do for the guys on the team who he also claims have been threatened.

Likely (hopefully) there's no serious threats of course, but if you believe that then just roll with it and go play instead of crying about it.

The level of victim blaming, jeez.

I imagine what he wanted to do was say "Please chill the gently caress out, everyone."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PostNouveau posted:

He announced it publicly and then failed to provide the university any additional information about the threats when they asked him about it.

How were they received? Did they call you? Was it social media? What did they say? Which of your staff members and players received the threats?

He's either lying about the threats or he's failing to provide information that might protect his staff or players.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PostNouveau posted:

I imagine what he wanted to do was say "Please chill the gently caress out, everyone."

He's a grown rear end man in a leadership position at a major public university and he's responsible for keeping his staff and players safe. It's not too much to ask for him to provide details on the threats.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Well start with McElwain if you want to go with victim blaming: "At the same time," he said, "they know what they signed up for as well." About the kids he recruited, supposedly being subjected to death threats.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Maybe he doesn't want to drag it out through the legal system and doesn't want to put his family through that. He only brought it up once and the only ones running with it now are the awful sports media and Internet forum manly men.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

also the biggest victim here is that poor shark

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Maxwells Demon posted:

Oregon went to two different national title games in the past 10 years. That will remain the top of Oregon's achievements.

We are now back to being trash.

I hear Chip Kelly is available?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Maybe he doesn't want to drag it out through the legal system and doesn't want to put his family through that. He only brought it up once and the only ones running with it now are the awful sports media and Internet forum manly men.

lol he directly started his press conference with the "awful sports media" with the death threat stuff. You expect all of the local journalists to not follow up on his comments?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

He's a grown rear end man in a leadership position at a major public university and he's responsible for keeping his staff and players safe. It's not too much to ask for him to provide details on the threats.

He may be doing that in the best way he sees fit. That it involves his family cranks the intensity level up another notch for him, so I understand the light touch he tried to apply on it.

I know y'all don't like him because he's a bad coach, but this is akin to watching Twitter swarm someone who speaks out about a crime and demand proof from them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PostNouveau posted:

He may be doing that in the best way he sees fit. That it involves his family cranks the intensity level up another notch for him, so I understand the light touch he tried to apply on it.

I know y'all don't like him because he's a bad coach, but this is akin to watching Twitter swarm someone who speaks out about a crime and demand proof from them.

I am not saying I don't believe him or demanding he provide proof to me or any other fan. I'm saying that part of his job responsibility is safety and he's refusing to give the university additional details that might help keep people safe. That's a big problem.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

McElwain probably saw Georgia fans saying "we're gonna kill you next weekend" and tried to play the sympathy card.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wa27 posted:

McElwain probably saw Georgia fans saying "we're gonna kill you next weekend" and tried to play the sympathy card.

This would be the funniest explanation.

Yeah mainly I think he just screwed up a press conference and made it into something way bigger than it should have been, I mean he got people asking police about things and the university opening an inquiry that will go nowhere.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

I am not saying I don't believe him or demanding he provide proof to me or any other fan. I'm saying that part of his job responsibility is safety and he's refusing to give the university additional details that might help keep people safe. That's a big problem.

If the players got threats they may have gone to the police themselves or to university security themselves.

We don't know poo poo about this, and that's not a bad thing when it might involve ongoing crimes/investigations. The victim doesn't owe @gatorlover69 anything.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Hi, this is reality. I'd like to remind you that public faces of major businesses can't skip around and giggle while casually mentioning serious potential crimes then immediately retreat into the dark to avoid further issues.

Like really, the gently caress is wrong with some of you? You don't step up to a row of mics and say "I'm getting death threats, no further questions". You can't A) make poo poo up or B) say serious things and not expect follow-ups.

And you goddamn well better believe that just because he doesn't ower @gatorlover69 an answer he does owe his employer one.

If he exaggerated circumstances he needs to so say immediately but it would be irresponsible of UF and the authorities to just ignore the situation which means they're going to spend time and money on something that may be a complete non-issue and if that's the case he should be disciplined for it.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PostNouveau posted:

If the players got threats they may have gone to the police themselves or to university security themselves.

We don't know poo poo about this, and that's not a bad thing when it might involve ongoing crimes/investigations. The victim doesn't owe @gatorlover69 anything.

You guys are really trying to make this something it's not. The "victim blaming" and the "Mac doesn't owe Gators fans anything!" statements are addressing a strawman.

What is being discussed is the following:

quote:

The University Athletic Association takes the safety of our student-athletes, coaches, staff and families very seriously. Our administration met with Coach McElwain this afternoon and he offered no additional details.

That is from UF's Senior associate athletic director. Mac has a responsibility to provide more information to the UAA. It's not victim blaming. It's literally part of his job. Imagine what would happen if there really was an insane fan who did something to a coach, player or their families.

The university would be in deep poo poo if they hadn't followed up on this kind of thing and that's why they felt the need to put out a public statement that essentially says, "We asked Mac for more information on the lives of his staff and players being threatened and he didn't give us anything."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's just boys being boys relax.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

You guys are really trying to make this something it's not. The "victim blaming" and the "Mac doesn't owe Gators fans anything!" statements are addressing a strawman.

What is being discussed is the following:

That is from UF's Senior associate athletic director. Mac has a responsibility to provide more information to the UAA. It's not victim blaming. It's literally part of his job. Imagine what would happen if there really was an insane fan who did something to a coach, player or their families.

The university would be in deep poo poo if they hadn't followed up on this kind of thing and that's why they felt the need to put out a public statement that essentially says, "We asked Mac for more information on the lives of his staff and players being threatened and he didn't give us anything."

You only know that the UAA didn't get more information (yesterday). Whether the UAA is the appropriate organization to address the issue or if some other university apparatus is working on it are unknown, as are the exact targets of the threats and if those targets have taken steps themselves. We don't know anything about this incident.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Crotch Bat posted:

And you goddamn well better believe that just because he doesn't owe @gatorlover69 an answer

Don't doxx my Twitter handle plz

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

Sometimes you gently caress the shark, and sometimes the shark fucks you.

Bluetooth speaker. Stream smooth jazz through the speaker. Speaker goes in the water. Now Kenny G's in the water. Shark's in the water. Your shark.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

This is really the crux of the matter. Even if the threats occurred and even if he doesn't want anything done, it's his responsibility to turn it over for the safety of others.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

vyst posted:

It's just boys being boys relax.

Stab, stab, stabbing sounds

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Donald McElwain?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is there any chance that he was threatening to kill himself and isn't sure how to explain that the threat was himself?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Seems like some at UL are upset with how this investigation came to be.

https://twitter.com/jeffgreer_cj/status/922903585024770049

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
McElwain to Oregon State seems like a good fit IMO.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thermos H Christ posted:

That was the egregious one... the one where he appeared to be fully unconscious on the ground for like 10 seconds, surrounded by staff, then got taken into the tent and somehow cleared by some kind of medical professional to go back in the game minutes later. Against Okie Lite he got tackled and his head bounced off the turf, then he got up and ran back to the line for two snaps, the second of which was the game-ending INT that seemed like something a person with a scrambled brain might do. I don't think it's so bad that he was allowed to run back to the line after a big hit. But either way he's an 18 year-old kid who appears to have gotten two significant brain injuries in eight days. Bad stuff.

On the bright side, he probably doesn't remember

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pretty sure that even as a coach, Mac is still a mandatory reporter for things like threats, even if they seem jokey it is deadly serious. A good portion of what gets taught in education coursework and ethics training goes towards mandatory reporting.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

He's gotta be. When I worked at FAU, I was required to report and I was just a grad assistant.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an adult beverage posted:

Don't doxx my Twitter handle plz

i thought it was @TimTebowHardGay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I talked to a Tennessee fan earlier today who is rooting for Kentucky this weekend. Are any other Vols fans feeling this way, or is this just because this guy lives in Kentucky? I remember at the end of the Joker era wanting him gone, but I wasn't ever actively rooting for my team to lose to make it happen. Although losing 40-0 to Vanderbilt at home certainly got the job done.

• Locked thread