Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
God drat, they're some purdy space ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thread, meet Harnold, the Wizard's Apprentice.

"Hrmm! Hrmm... Harumphmmmmmmmmm..."

No story on this guy yet, because I felt like i did such a garbage job on him. I need to learn how to handle Vallejo paints, still. =(

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Hi, i painted my first mini in 7 or 8 years and boy am i trash at it. Have some terrible photos taken in my bathroom because it has the best lighting.

So i painted an Ork Nob for a test model and to find out my color scheme. I'm going with black and yellow and now that i have this poor bastard painted i think i can clean up a lot for future models. If i had to pick one thing i'm happy with it would be the axe, specifically the handle. Army Painter (i know) Leather Brown and a Matt Black wash worked really well imo. I just want advice on how to better handle the paint beause i don't know what i'm doing but it isn't going on as a solid color and more as a wash, but it's also keeping brush strokes as if i hadn't thinned it at all.

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 23, 2017

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

Looks awesome, I love the color balance and thrusters on the back.

I'm putting together the shadespire minis and I'm definitely going to want to fill these gaps. Can anyone comment on liquid green stuff as a gap filler? I've only used the putty kind.

I've never used liquid green stuff but I use Vallejo liquid putty which I imagine is similar. Does a good job of filling gaps and then I can sand off any excesses.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

What's a good triad in Vallejo for a kind of leather brown

It depends on whether yo want something warm or cool and what tone. But one option is Vmc cavalry brown, stippled with orange brown and dark sand. Then wash with brown. Then edge highlight with khaki or dark sand.

I really like stippling for leather. Which I stole shamelessly from infinity painting guide.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aw yeah this is extremely my poo poo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Jumpoff posted:

Hi, i painted my first mini in 7 or 8 years and boy am i trash at it. Have some terrible photos taken in my bathroom because it has the best lighting.

So i painted an Ork Nob for a test model and to find out my color scheme. I'm going with black and yellow and now that i have this poor bastard painted i think i can clean up a lot for future models. If i had to pick one thing i'm happy with it would be the axe, specifically the handle. Army Painter (i know) Leather Brown and a Matt Black wash worked really well imo. I just want advice on how to better handle the paint beause i don't know what i'm doing but it isn't going on as a solid color and more as a wash, but it's also keeping brush strokes as if i hadn't thinned it at all.

Sup Ork Buddy.

My first suggestion is to look at everything you do with one simple question; is there a way I can get equivalent quality while doing something faster? With Orks in particular you have a ton of fiddly bits that can take forever to paint, and when you're looking at 100 models it's easy to get burned out quickly. So do yourself a favor and get ahead of things by planning ahead. So let's look at your Ork. You have arms that are predominantly green, a head that's also predominantly green, pants and torso which are mostly brown, and then detail bits like rusty metal and your plating. If you (literally) divide and conquer you can batch paint a lot of that stuff and have a solid, reliable foundation from which to work with. I recommend looking at stuff like colored primers, and personally I'm a big fan of Army Painter's stuff.

If you glue the head and arms to a piece of spare sprue, hit with Army Painter Greenskin, highlight with a slightly lighter color, and then apply a green wash you'll get a pretty quick and good looking skin. You can then paint the metal, highlight (I love using drybrush for "dirty" metallic objects like ork weapons), and then wash. When painting use thin coats (I cheat and just paint with paints meant for airbrushing, since they're already thinned). You won't see brush strokes if you use multiple coats; maybe 2-3. The body you can use a brown (literally leather brown?), apply another highlight, and then wash with something like Army Painter strong or soft tone.

The yellow is going to be a significant challenge due to how transparent yellow is, but there are ways to cheat. GW used to sell "Foundation" paints that had a TON of pigment and covered well. My go-to method was to apply a base of their foundation yellow, hit the surface with a yellow ink to dramatically saturate the colors, weather the edges with a metallic color, and then wash the surface with a light brown or sepia wash to dirty things up. In your case I would paint yellow and then add black details.

If you want I can show you some of my dudes and the various recipes I used to paint them.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Of the new line of citadel paints the Base paints are almost as good as the great old Foundation paints imho. Two thin coats of Yriel yellow works great, even over black.

I just wish they'd come out with a new Charchadon Granite.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Blooded Saek from Shadespire.

How does the skin look? Should I try to get closer?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Skin looks good. You could blend it better, but the Stark transitions will look good to everything but super close inspection.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I painted a space man

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Hixson posted:

I painted a space man

That's a really loving nice spaceman.
The pre-heresy Thousand Sons colour scheme is great, and you executed it amazingly.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Hixson posted:

I painted a space man

How the hell do you do such seamless transitions from the shade to brighter parts of the armor?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

How the hell do you do such seamless transitions from the shade to brighter parts of the armor?

I'm gonna guess glazes or airbrush.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

I'm gonna guess glazes or airbrush.

You guessed right; I did both. Vallejo heavy red basecoat over a black/grey zenith prime and pre-shade. Highlighted with an airbrush up to Vallejo bloody red. Then glazed with bloody red.

It's the first time I've ever used an airbrush on an infantry model for more than just a prime and basecoat :shobon:

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Hixson posted:

You guessed right; I did both. Vallejo heavy red basecoat over a black/grey zenith prime and pre-shade. Highlighted with an airbrush up to Vallejo bloody red. Then glazed with bloody red.

It's the first time I've ever used an airbrush on an infantry model for more than just a prime and basecoat :shobon:

Well, good loving job. Because it looks great.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

The blends are smooth as hell, nice one. You've got two beautifully painted armies for our favourite dead gay game.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TTerrible posted:

our favourite dead gay game.

I see no AT-43 miniatures here, though?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

I painted a space man

You're getting much better with your digital camera too. Good Job Hixson.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

You're getting much better with your digital camera too.

If you want any tips on how to get your oil washing to the next level, shoot me a PM

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've decided to start doing a new color scheme for my Blood Angels, partially because I'm bored with doing quite so much red, partially because a lot of my older stuff looks like crap.

Here's an Intecessor who's getting close to finished. Obviously not on the same level as a most of you in this thread (like those Thousand Sons above me) but it's some solid improvement over where I was even 6 months ago.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Pendent posted:

I've decided to start doing a new color scheme for my Blood Angels, partially because I'm bored with doing quite so much red, partially because a lot of my older stuff looks like crap.

Here's an Intecessor who's getting close to finished. Obviously not on the same level as a most of you in this thread (like those Thousand Sons above me) but it's some solid improvement over where I was even 6 months ago.

I like it, looks like actual blood red.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I'm a big fan of that yellow trim. Looks good!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Those are some amazing space ships, and my wallet is currently freaking out.

That chris foss like work... :golfclap:

I just finished up a Zu Yong, though, and felt the need to share. (NB: one of the fluff names is 'Terracotta Warriors').

Hot drat do I love heavy infantry. (also space ships)

This looks fantastic. I've been wondering what to do with my Invincible themed stuff myself and was thinking about just running green/jade armor but this is awesome.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm a big fan of that yellow trim. Looks good!

It's probably the lighting being funny but that's actually just plain Retributor Gold

bonds0097 posted:

I like it, looks like actual blood red.

I basically combined little things I've liked about a few of successor chapters. The shade of red and black pauldrons are from the Flesh Tearers, the white is from the Carmine Blades, and the gold trim comes from the Blood Drinkers. I'm really happy with how it's coming together so far, although I'm sure there's some stuff I'll be modifying as time goes on.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sup Ork Buddy.

My first suggestion is to look at everything you do with one simple question; is there a way I can get equivalent quality while doing something faster? With Orks in particular you have a ton of fiddly bits that can take forever to paint, and when you're looking at 100 models it's easy to get burned out quickly. So do yourself a favor and get ahead of things by planning ahead. So let's look at your Ork. You have arms that are predominantly green, a head that's also predominantly green, pants and torso which are mostly brown, and then detail bits like rusty metal and your plating. If you (literally) divide and conquer you can batch paint a lot of that stuff and have a solid, reliable foundation from which to work with. I recommend looking at stuff like colored primers, and personally I'm a big fan of Army Painter's stuff.

If you glue the head and arms to a piece of spare sprue, hit with Army Painter Greenskin, highlight with a slightly lighter color, and then apply a green wash you'll get a pretty quick and good looking skin. You can then paint the metal, highlight (I love using drybrush for "dirty" metallic objects like ork weapons), and then wash. When painting use thin coats (I cheat and just paint with paints meant for airbrushing, since they're already thinned). You won't see brush strokes if you use multiple coats; maybe 2-3. The body you can use a brown (literally leather brown?), apply another highlight, and then wash with something like Army Painter strong or soft tone.

The yellow is going to be a significant challenge due to how transparent yellow is, but there are ways to cheat. GW used to sell "Foundation" paints that had a TON of pigment and covered well. My go-to method was to apply a base of their foundation yellow, hit the surface with a yellow ink to dramatically saturate the colors, weather the edges with a metallic color, and then wash the surface with a light brown or sepia wash to dirty things up. In your case I would paint yellow and then add black details.

If you want I can show you some of my dudes and the various recipes I used to paint them.

Thanks a ton for the advice. I actually watched StrikingScorpion82's video on doing ork boyz and that got me to buy a can of Leather Brown primer so I don't have to do the leather bits. Hopefully when that arrives doing one Nob won't take me 2.5 hours. I may go purchase a can of Greenskin primer now though and go with what you're suggesting. Also please please please post some Orks, I haven't seen enough good ones in this thread to inspire me. As for the yellow, I'm playing around with color schemes and I think I settled on red/black after getting really good results (plus the lumberjack plaid look made me fall in love with them). Thanks a lot for the advice again!

EDIT: I like how my second nob came out even if I'm poo poo at doing eyes.

Also I wish i could go back and time and get my friend I bought these from to remove the drat mould lines.

The Jumpoff fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 24, 2017

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I just primed this guy with Vallejo primer. Went on smoothly with a brush and has good coverage.

Skails fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 24, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Flipped on the puppy cam in time to see my dog chowing down on at least one brand new, large size jar of Nuln Oil. Now there is a big, dark puddle on my rug.

There are three more in the bag that one came from. Almost $30 $35 in paint. Also, my wife is going to kill me.

:cry:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 24, 2017

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Flipped on the puppy cam in time to see my dog chowing down on at least one brand new, large size jar of Nuln Oil. Now there is a big, dark puddle on my rug.

There are three more in the bag that one came from. Almost $30 in paint. Also, my wife is going to kill me.

:cry:

Did it flow well into the puppy’s recesses?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

Did it flow well into the puppy’s recesses?

I'll find out when I get home. He's white, for the most part, so it ought to show up very nicely.

EDIT: Now he's laying in the puddle. Should have a few new spots when I get home.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yep, wife is super pissed. drat you, climbing dog! :argh:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 24, 2017

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Did somebody say it was time to post some orks? :orks101:

Pictures are kinda crap, I gotta get a better setup.

My go to move on orks is to basecoat in some form of yellow and then wash their skin green (for bright) or blue (for dark), results in some really great skintones, depending on the exact combination of yellow and wash from olive green to bright radioactive green.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I finished the primaris marines from the First Strike box set last night. Hadn't painted in over a year but really happy with how they turned out, especially the Reivers. Once I finish the death guard from the box some Skiitari will be next which I'm super excited for.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Booyah- posted:

I finished the primaris marines from the First Strike box set last night. Hadn't painted in over a year but really happy with how they turned out, especially the Reivers. Once I finish the death guard from the box some Skiitari will be next which I'm super excited for.

These bigmars look extremely sharp, nice job. Well-done Blood Angels are sexy AF, especially when you get the different squad-type helmet colours going on.

That Blood Angel with white helmet a few posts up is bang tidy also.

Edit: Has anyone tried modelling Primaris marines with regular bolters rather than the rifles? I have a stupid nerd ambition to do this and make a traditional tactical squad.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 24, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'll find out when I get home. He's white, for the most part, so it ought to show up very nicely.

EDIT: Now he's laying in the puddle. Should have a few new spots when I get home.

DOUBLE EDIT: Yep, wife is super pissed. drat you, climbing dog! :argh:

Please post pics of painted pupper.

Also this is my favorite post in this entire thread.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Also this is my favorite post in this entire thread.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

What's your recipe for the red on these guys?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

What's your recipe for the red on these guys?

I pretty much rip off this guy's technique for all red armor:
http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2013/06/tutorial-how-to-paint-eldar-of-saim.html

Specifically what I do is 1:1 VMC vermillion and VGC Red as a base
A couple light coats of Army Painter strong tone just in the recesses
Clean up with base
Very light highlight with citadel wild rider red

He also does a further light orange highlight but I'm not confident enough to do that thinly enough.
I'm sure all those would work with citadel equivalents, and I might do that next time because vallejo paints have a bad habit of coagulating on me while still in the bottle.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
This is more of a modeling question but I can't think of where else to post it. I am trying to put together some cheap siege engines from scrap. There are tons of resources online about building everything from furniture to dungeons out of foam core and dollar store beads but I can find very little about hacking together a cannon or a catapult or something like that. In particular I'm trying to build something that would go well with some Reaper bones goblins and some Reaper bones dwarves, so anything on the spectrum from finely metal worked cannons to primeval catapults is cool.

So far I plan to throw some buttons down for wheels and slap a severed gnoll head on a dowel to make a cannon, and maybe cut up a bunch of foam logs and form them into a catapult, but if anyone has a guide they know of or some recommendations for materials I'd love to hear it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

This is more of a modeling question but I can't think of where else to post it. I am trying to put together some cheap siege engines from scrap. There are tons of resources online about building everything from furniture to dungeons out of foam core and dollar store beads but I can find very little about hacking together a cannon or a catapult or something like that. In particular I'm trying to build something that would go well with some Reaper bones goblins and some Reaper bones dwarves, so anything on the spectrum from finely metal worked cannons to primeval catapults is cool.

So far I plan to throw some buttons down for wheels and slap a severed gnoll head on a dowel to make a cannon, and maybe cut up a bunch of foam logs and form them into a catapult, but if anyone has a guide they know of or some recommendations for materials I'd love to hear it.

I'd honestly look into children's toys for that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
not strictly a miniature but I don't think there's a thread for cosplay stuff?

got back into painting recently and had a go at turning a toy gun into Snake's M1911 from snake eater

before:

after:

pretty fun painting something bigger than a toy soldier for a change. Would highly recommend if you're getting back into painting and want something that isn't too fiddly to start with.