Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Must be different at PC6... our training module has a few trainees who have been stuck on review unable to graduate for 2-3 years. Only recently have they made serious moves to get them working at full capacity or get them gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

AmishSpecialForces posted:

We're on 7 months from 9 too. The training has been pretty good so far, and management has helpfully stayed the gently caress in the background. As for useless employees, I've learned from talking to fully-fledged BAs at lunch that useless employees are purged pretty regularly. Trainees get a lot of leeway, but even they get shitcanned after a while if they fail enough reviews. A very nice lady came down one lunch to say goodbye to her classmates, most of which were out of review, because she was getting fired for failing too many reviews :sadwave:

LIstening to you two talk about the PHUS warms my heart. I've been reading the PHUS for 29 years (I'm a TE in the field) and it's changed very little, the only thing I can think of that was noteworthy is when the historical direct deposit information was posted when a change happened. I want to apologize in advance for the lovely products you will receive from CS's in the FO. We are drowning and in my office the biggest push is for VIP wait times to be low. Our office eliminated the SR position and now everyone is a CS with 1/3 of the office working reception with no SR training. I hope you have a better experience with SSA then our new hires are having from the past year.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
We get warned on a pretty regular basis that "Yes, the CS (CA/CR, whatever they're calling them today) at the field office should have input that information for you. Yes, you should still check it because its probably fuckered up."
Since you've been in the field for a while, what's the career ladder for the BA track? It vaguely seems like BA -> PETE -> CA/CS/CR or you jump ship at some point and get into management. I know its a long way out for me but I'd like to have a path in mind.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
Should this concern me? I'm moving agencies and my current agency HR person wants me to fill out a letter of resignation for my last day. I thought you don't do that for transfers right? Moving from foreign service to a GS job at DHS.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166411

That thread is for State FSOs, they might know more, even if you are USDA/Treasury etc

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Terror Ninja posted:

Should this concern me? I'm moving agencies and my current agency HR person wants me to fill out a letter of resignation for my last day. I thought you don't do that for transfers right? Moving from foreign service to a GS job at DHS.

Not sure how it is moving out of the foreign service into competitive, but at least on the competitive side, a letter of resignation shouln't be tendered as HR offices in the losing and gaining agency have to coordinate the transfer. When my husband left the IRS, they wanted a letter of resignation, and his new agency told him and the IRS HR person that it would cause a break in service and that it wasn't needed.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

NintyFresh posted:

Not sure how it is moving out of the foreign service into competitive, but at least on the competitive side, a letter of resignation shouln't be tendered as HR offices in the losing and gaining agency have to coordinate the transfer. When my husband left the IRS, they wanted a letter of resignation, and his new agency told him and the IRS HR person that it would cause a break in service and that it wasn't needed.

Thanks, yeah that's what I thought. The DHS HR person sent my agency an sf75 to facilitate my transfer and looking at my agency policy I shouldn't need to resign. I'm honestly wondering if my current agency HR person is just being lazy as they said it was just 'for their own records'. I think if they process me as a resignation it's less work for them.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Man_of_Teflon posted:

This may be changing more recently though, apparently they managed to boot a couple technicians not too long ago, and the outside CA class training concurrently with my inside one has already had one person fired (obviously this is much easier to do during training).

How big of a fuckup do you have to be to get fired while still in training?

My four month or whatever classroom training for Claims Representative had a few crazy fuckups and not even they got booted. Last I heard one finally got fired after repeatedly physically threatening his supervisor.

My friend sat in the back row where he could see everyone's screen and said that some days like 90% of people were surfing the internet. The vets would often be looking at pictures of tanks and stuff.

All I know aboit the PCs from people who had worked there was that people drank a lot.

Nutella posted:

(I'm a TE in the field)

The technical experts I met were all pretty cool but also slightly insane. I guess that's what happens ehen you spend decades staring at matrix-style coding from the 1960s or whatever.

My favorite part of SSA was PCOM and how it proclaims "WELCOME TO THE FUTURE" in like 1980s style ASCII text when you log in.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

for everyone who has no clue what we're talking about, this is the arcane wizardry keeping your country running:

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

That looks like a screen from an 80s hacker movie.

jiffypop45 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 25, 2017

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Thesaurus posted:

How big of a fuckup do you have to be to get fired while still in training?

Aside from the people who cannot process more than one or two cases per day after years stuck on review (who they are finally taking steps to force out), apparently it is mostly people who will not shut up in class and fail all of the (super easy open book) tests.

Everyone in my inside class is on phones/the internet daily too, but that's because despite being an inside class the union mandated that we receive the same training as an outside hire. So, we have to sit through learning the MBR/rates, despite most of us having been PETEs or good BAs.

Meanwhile the outside BA class gets their training cut down to 7 months instead of 9? This is what I mean by our management is bad.

...are there any jobs that SSA work translates well to in private industry? The best I could come up with is like HR benefits data analyst or something like that, but it seems unlikely that would match federal pay/benefits even at a startup.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Man_of_Teflon posted:

...are there any jobs that SSA work translates well to in private industry? The best I could come up with is like HR benefits data analyst or something like that, but it seems unlikely that would match federal pay/benefits even at a startup.
There has to be some company out there that specializes in helping convince federal employees that their old job skills are useful somewhere else, given how often this very question has come up in this thread regarding different areas of government work.

As in, helping them write their résumés, not actually hiring them. Obviously.

I certainly want to believe there are options for those of us in federal jobs with no immediately obvious parallel outside the government. Even though I also hope I can avoid the private sector forever.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

The technical experts I met were all pretty cool but also slightly insane. I guess that's what happens ehen you spend decades staring at matrix-style coding from the 1960s or whatever.

My favorite part of SSA was PCOM and how it proclaims "WELCOME TO THE FUTURE" in like 1980s style ASCII text when you log in.

jiffypop45 posted:

That looks like a screen from an 80s hacker movie.

I literally lol'd when I first logged in and saw that screen. My building also has actual, physical tapes (think 60's 70's James Bond villain lair) that we send to various other gov't agencies for data transfer.
All the technical experts I've met so far are cool, but sarcastic and jaded as gently caress.
As for outside private industry employment other posters asked about, I don't think anything people in my career track do is directly transferrable. Some of the IT people I talk to when my laptop poops itself came from private industry/are considering moving to private industry, so there's that.

No open alcoholics yet, but I'm one of three vaguely fit looking people I've seen in the entire building. Everyone else is varying levels of overweight.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

I literally lol'd when I first logged in and saw that screen. My building also has actual, physical tapes (think 60's 70's James Bond villain lair) that we send to various other gov't agencies for data transfer.
All the technical experts I've met so far are cool, but sarcastic and jaded as gently caress.
As for outside private industry employment other posters asked about, I don't think anything people in my career track do is directly transferrable. Some of the IT people I talk to when my laptop poops itself came from private industry/are considering moving to private industry, so there's that.

No open alcoholics yet, but I'm one of three vaguely fit looking people I've seen in the entire building. Everyone else is varying levels of overweight.

I am definitely the sarcastic and jaded TE (T2), T16 is a giant waste of taxpayers dollars for the most part. When I started with the agency drinking at lunch was the norm and your 60 year old manager definitely went home at lunch to get wasted, employees married each other and people got extra smoke breaks. Those times have changed but you can count on the prehistoric MBR and PHUS and even a DEQY to never change. If you ever want a good laugh there's a Goldie Hawn movie "Deceived" that has a ridiculous portrayal of her visit to file for survivor benefits. SSA would be a great agency to parody for a TV show.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

for everyone who has no clue what we're talking about, this is the arcane wizardry keeping your country running:

I guess I should stop complaining when my office still uses Java applets for things.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Thesaurus posted:

And here USPTO is in the mist of upgrading/tossing old legacy systems and jumping full tilt on the automation train via PE2E/DAV.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

That looks very similar to the system that keeps IRS going.

Yeah, it's not great.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Remora posted:

That looks very similar to the system that keeps IRS going.

Yeah, it's not great.

IDRS for lyfe. All the noobs have to use IAT tools instead of interfacing directly with the machine.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

sullat posted:

IDRS for lyfe. All the noobs have to use IAT tools instead of interfacing directly with the machine.

IAT is for code lookups, terminal input is for making the machines dance to your whims. :respek:

Web interface systems are for... losing transcripts and confusing old people, apparently?

AMS is for finding someone to blame.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Remora posted:

IAT is for code lookups, terminal input is for making the machines dance to your whims. :respek:

Web interface systems are for... losing transcripts and confusing old people, apparently?

AMS is for finding someone to blame.

Man, don't get me started on people that don't leave AMS notes.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

sullat posted:

Man, don't get me started on people that don't leave AMS notes.

You mean "literal demons sent by the forces of darkness to ruin my personal individual workday"?

AMS Note: "Mike called, set up a payment plan"

Gee, thanks for going the extra mile there. Don't strain yourself.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Hey guys new to applying via USAJobs. Few questions:

1. Postings say cover letter not required. Should I submit one anyways?
2. After I finished applying to a job (DON, Engineering) it says "incomplete haven't received resume yet" even though I submitted it. Does it take some time for them to process the resume or did I mess it up?
3. If I'm trying to get a job by May is it appropriate to be applying to jobs with closing by mid November? I can't seem to find information on when they expect people to start if hired.

Thanks in advance.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
For 2, it definitely takes time for your docs to filter into the system. Alternatively sometimes it doesnt connect to your profile if you don't follow the links back to your profile after completing the application.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

2. After I finished applying to a job (DON, Engineering) it says "incomplete haven't received resume yet" even though I submitted it. Does it take some time for them to process the resume or did I mess it up?
3. If I'm trying to get a job by May is it appropriate to be applying to jobs with closing by mid November? I can't seem to find information on when they expect people to start if hired.

Thanks in advance.

For 3 it depends on agency and if you need a clearance and what type. Can range from 2 months to over a year.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother with the cover letter, it's unlikely to end up in front of the actual hiring manager. Make sure that your resume is very thorough instead.

I wouldn't worry about the closing dates. If they're looking for new grads they'll understand you graduating in May. If they're not looking for new graduates, they'll toss out you're resume and that's not really you're problem. Make sure you list you're expected graduation date on your resume. DON hiring can take anywhere from weeks to months so no one outside the specific hiring office for that position can really tell you how long it will take.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Thanks in advance.

I'm not in HR but I can give you my personal experience.
1. I got the job I have (GS 7 to 9) with the Social Security Administration without a cover letter.
2. Like others have said, it can take a while. Check back after a day or two, I had at least one application where I had to reupload some stuff.
3. As far as I know, they don't have postings as to when positions start. It took 3 months for me from application to start date.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gotta say it is a pain in the rear end when you're apparently expected to feel confident enough to mark yourself down as "Expert and have had people come to me for advice" on things like "yes I am good at faxing things."

I'm not used to it and I can't bring myself to do it still.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's especially galling and frustrating when they're things that are pretty clearly only possible for people already performing the task. Are you an expert in reviewing X approval submissions for compliance with federal laws, and writing reports on X for federal service supervisors?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

What's the point of even qualifying with education if *clearly* the assessments make that pointless if you don't say that you're an expert on underwater basketweaving or what have you?

edit: This puts a real damper on the mood, huh?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 9, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Not to mention the education levels are massively over credentialed for most jobs. You don't need a PHD to do GS-11 work outside of a few places like EPA, CDC or NASA . Most of my co-workers are veterans with high school educations, and they do just fine.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008
If you're qualifying based on education just do what has been repeated in this thread and say you're an expert on the stuff. Really. I said I was an expert on evaluating social security cases (not the exact wording) even though I was qualifying based on grad education.

I agree its frustrating that they want you to be already trained to do the esoteric federal thing they're hiring for, but I'm increasingly convinced no one actually checks those responses. They just check to see if the computer has tallied up enough points for the candidate to pass.

Edit: As for the education thing, I agree. Grad school got me the job but didn't teach me anything applicable to it. Most of my co-workers got the job by working their way up through the grades and are doing just fine. Many of them don't have anything past highschool.

AmishSpecialForces fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 9, 2017

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Artificer posted:

Gotta say it is a pain in the rear end when you're apparently expected to feel confident enough to mark yourself down as "Expert and have had people come to me for advice" on things like "yes I am good at faxing things."

I'm not used to it and I can't bring myself to do it still.

Hey Artificer, I need advice on faxing things. Should I be faxing things in TYOOL 2017?

There, now you've had people come to you for advice on that. What's the next qualification?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

I agree its frustrating that they want you to be already trained to do the esoteric federal thing they're hiring for, but I'm increasingly convinced no one actually checks those responses. They just check to see if the computer has tallied up enough points for the candidate to pass.

I don't work for OPM or my agency's HR but I am a hiring official and do interviews. The people who put together these packets don't know the first thing about the job and whether your answers are reasonable or not, and once the packet gets to me I don't see the answers. I get a resume and contact info. I also wouldn't give a tenth of a poo poo about your answers even if I could see them because I can tell your expertise through the interview.

I'm sure that it's more important to answer truthfully if you're going to be working with the DOD being a missile doctor or something. I work with eggs.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

ixo posted:

I don't work for OPM or my agency's HR but I am a hiring official and do interviews. The people who put together these packets don't know the first thing about the job and whether your answers are reasonable or not, and once the packet gets to me I don't see the answers. I get a resume and contact info. I also wouldn't give a tenth of a poo poo about your answers even if I could see them because I can tell your expertise through the interview.

I'm sure that it's more important to answer truthfully if you're going to be working with the DOD being a missile doctor or something. I work with eggs.

Yeah, the interviewers for my current position grilled me on my previous experience working for the state of Missouri at a similar job. Interesting to hear my supposition was correct.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

All those wasted opportunities being honest on the questions :psyduck:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Max Peck posted:

Hey Artificer, I need advice on faxing things. Should I be faxing things in TYOOL 2017?

There, now you've had people come to you for advice on that. What's the next qualification?

According to some of these job applications, yes! I wonder why they won't take online documents?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

ixo posted:

OTOH, I'm friends with someone who hires for the FAA and said that he not only gets KSA narratives, but puts a lot of weight on them :shrug:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Artificer posted:

What's the point of even qualifying with education if *clearly* the assessments make that pointless if you don't say that you're an expert on underwater basketweaving or what have you?

edit: This puts a real damper on the mood, huh?
That infuriates me as well (and, of course, anyone else who has advanced degrees and takes it seriously when the posting claims you can qualify with education).

I think the problem is that whatever force is responsible for education being substitutable for experience when applying did not go far enough in ensuring anti-higher-education people could not wink and say "sure, you qualify, just as long as you also have all the job experience you would need anyway! Yes thanks so much for your charitable consideration

Plus I cannot figure out if we actually get credit for things we did during school despite the fact that, you know, they are still things we did. I was once told I did not have evidence of "data analysis" in my record despite that being literally all you do in a social science doctoral program. Now, yes, I also then re-wrote and extra-highlighted that experience, but it was definitely there already too. I have the feeling education is seen as a checkbox that is its own black box and is otherwise ignored.

Edit: As for the education thing, I agree. Grad school got me the job but didn't teach me anything applicable to it. Most of my co-workers got the job by working their way up through the grades and are doing just fine. Many of them don't have anything past highschool.
Yeah it seems like a good half of the people at my office did not finish college but I would never claim any of them are objectively worse at my job than I am, or if I would, I would not claim that was why. I WOULD say I am objectively better at understanding nuances of high-falutin' language used in the documents we might be examining, thanks to my education, but that is definitely not the most important aspect of the job. Though fundamental literacy is pretty nice.

Max Peck posted:

Hahaha. Beautiful.

Justus posted:

OTOH, I'm friends with someone who hires for the FAA and said that he not only gets KSA narratives, but puts a lot of weight on them :shrug:
Yeah I have definitely heard anecdotal responses about someone getting asked to justify an answer from the questionnaire in the interview. I imagine it is entirely dependent on whether the hiring committee cares about the USAJobs process in any way, shape, or form, and also how much the questionnaire overlaps with important real-world scenarios that come up in the interview process. Or something. Clearly you are still better off saying you are an expert if there is any conceivable way you can claim it accurately.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have the feeling education is seen as a checkbox that is its own black box and is otherwise ignored.

I can’t speak to government jobs, but private sector definitely treats education like this wrt experience. The exact same words under “work experience” are paid attention to whereas under “education” they are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Another day, another incomprehensible assessment about choosing to decide if you handle stress well, or if you are a good and honest person who tells waiters if they undercharged you.