Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Did anyone do that on their first playthrough? I think most people are tired of 9S at that point and end up doing all of A2's missions first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Know Such Peace posted:

Did anyone do that on their first playthrough? I think most people are tired of 9S at that point and end up doing all of A2's missions first.

I just alternated between them, though I did to A2 first. I definitely went to the village with 9S first though, but only after going through the amusement park so the emptiness felt like a step up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I for one look forward to seeing the thread's reaction to the village.

I am also curios to see how the thread's view on 9s will start to change in regards to the dog tags mission and finding 2b's dying message.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I just wanna see how the thread reacts when 2B finally calls him Nines
Hell I wanna see how Id reacts

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

I am also curios to see how the thread's view on 9s will start to change in regards to the dog tags mission and finding 2b's dying message.
Both of these moments are essential in understanding 9S's actions during Route C, and both are pretty easily missed. I'm glad Id's LP format guarantees that they'll both be in the playthrough. Dog tags might be the most effective gut punch in the game.

Edit: The whole endgame is pretty rough. The idea that most of the androids are aware of the faults in their own programming (D/P's guilt, 2B/9S's murder lust, etc.) but are unable to modify it got me to a weird place existentially. I realized the same thing happens to everyone in the real world as well.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 23, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

I just wanna see how the thread reacts when 2B finally calls him Nines
Hell I wanna see how Id reacts

She did it once before. She just denied it after.

I'm more curious about the thread's reaction to

Someone else confirming that it's actually a nickname people call him. Like, enough people that a stranger brings it up first thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

Can someone remind me what these moments were? It’s been a while since I played and somehow managed to forget this part. I guess my brain was too full of all the other “oh my god” moments of this game to retain that one

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If you go back to the flooded city, you can find 2B's crashed flight unit with a message she left to 9S calling him Nines and that the time she spent with him were her most precious memories.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can someone remind me what these moments were? It’s been a while since I played and somehow managed to forget this part. I guess my brain was too full of all the other “oh my god” moments of this game to retain that one
Gathering Keepsakes: {Prerequisite Sidequest: Emil's Memories (Lunar Tears)}
You help an android soldier at the main camp search for his comrades. You recover dog tags from three corpses, and he thanks you for your assistance. He gathers flowers to commemorate their sacrifice.
9S goes to Emil's Lunar Tear hideout and builds a makeshift memorial for 2B.
"2B. I'm not quite sure what it means to mourn, or even if we have a soul to concern ourselves with...
But I hope you're at rest, 2B. Sweet dreams... I'll be with you before long."
The track "Kaine Salvation" from the original NieR plays during this sequence.

2B's Farewell Message
9S stumbles upon the wreckage of 2B's flight unit in the Flooded City. There is an unsent message left in the memory of the unit:
"This is YoRHa unit 2B...
If anyone is listening to this, there's something I need you to do.
If you ever meet up with YoRHa unit 9S...
I want him... I mean...
I'm sorry. Please just give him the following message:
9S...the time I was able to spend with you...
It was light memories of pure light...
Thank you...Nine...s."

Edit: I missed a line from the first one.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 23, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Know Such Peace posted:

Gathering Keepsakes: {Prerequisite Sidequest: Emil's Memories (Lunar Tears)}
You help an android soldier at the main camp search for his comrades. You recover dog tags from three corpses, and he thanks you for your assistance. He gathers flowers to commemorate their sacrifice.
9S goes to Emil's Lunar Tear hideout and builds a makeshift memorial for 2B.
"2B. I'm not quite sure what it means to mourn, or even if we have a soul to concern ourselves with...
But I hope you're at rest, 2B. Sweet dreams."
The track "Kaine Salvation" from the original NieR plays during this sequence.

2B's Farewell Message
9S stumbles upon the wreckage of 2B's flight unit in the Flooded City. There is an unsent message left in the memory of the unit:
"This is YoRHa unit 2B...
If anyone is listening to this, there's something I need you to do.
If you ever meet up with YoRHa unit 9S...
I want him... I mean...
I'm sorry. Please just give him the following message:
9S...the time I was able to spend with you...
It was light memories of pure light...
Thank you...Nine...s."

On the first one you forgot at the end the "I'll be with you before long." :smith:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oh, I never finished Emil's Memories so I missed those bits...

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
A lot of people missed the end of Emil's Memories. One of the lunar tears is in the Flooded City, so it's really easy to skip straight past it and end up triggering the kaiju fight.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Unrelated to the current chat; just wanted to say I loving loved this game.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Professor of Cats posted:

Unrelated to the current chat; just wanted to say I loving loved this game.

Me too duder :hf:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Game was nominated for 3 Golden Joysticks awards and not one of them was Best Sound, so hahaha gently caress that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The sound wasn't anything to write home about.

The music, on the other hand. Oh boy.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

Game was nominated for 3 Golden Joysticks awards and not one of them was Best Sound game of the year, so hahaha gently caress that.

ftfy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They don't have Credits Of The Year awards so it was going to be a disappointment anyway.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I just got the score book with the piano sheet music. Thumbing through it, most of the songs look pretty easy but all the chords are listed so if you want to improve and add extra oomph, it's all provided.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
It's been 7 months since I beat this and 1 month since I beat Nier 1 and I still think about both regularly. Someone said this earlier in the thread but these are just very special games. It's actually kind of hard to go back to other games now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hikaki posted:

It's been 7 months since I beat this and 1 month since I beat Nier 1 and I still think about both regularly. Someone said this earlier in the thread but these are just very special games. It's actually kind of hard to go back to other games now.
Yeah even though I'm not quite as hot on Automata as everyone else here it still pops into my head every few days. It's really making me excited to check out Drakengard in a few weeks here too, once I've cleared some other parts of my backlog out first.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You poor fool.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Drakengard really has little in common with Nier thematically. Nier as a series is about living in a lovely broken world that you can't fix no matter how hard you try, and finding meaning and the will to keep going despite that. The Drakengard series is about lovely people being lovely mass murderers and having lovely things happen to them -- and the player -- as a meta-commentary on hyper-violent video games.

edit: obviously this is very broad strokes and leaves a lot out, but on the whole the Nier games are way more hopeful and uplifting.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 24, 2017

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZiegeDame posted:

edit: obviously this is very broad strokes and leaves a lot out, but on the whole the Nier games are way more hopeful and uplifting.
And have better gameplay.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Drakengard is about bad people ending up as the hero

Nier is about good people ending up as the villain

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
9S is a bonafide trashboy though

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

9S is a hacker, that's clearly bad and illegal.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Zereth posted:

Drakengard's awful gameplay is part of the player's punishment for thinking murdering thousands of sapient beings is fun.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Yeah but is the music any good? Since it has the same composer, I'm thinking of trying Drakengard 3 for that alone.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Hikaki posted:

Yeah but is the music any good? Since it has the same composer, I'm thinking of trying Drakengard 3 for that alone.

https://youtu.be/et8Rw01LvzI

drakengard's music is uh, interesting

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3JStwa6JDY

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Drakengard 1 has really good music composed by cool dudes who worked on Tekken and Ridge Racer. Thats reason enough to buy Drakengard 1.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Drakengard 3 has a cool soundtrack! It's more electronic than Nier stuff but it's nice seeing Okabe branch out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKoxPZRNPsw

I love the bizarro soundtrack of the first game in its own way though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgr5iW73UJg

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

darkengard 1 has music that i wouldn't say load on my playlist but yeah it is really striking and overall leaves a great impression for how non video gamey it is

https://youtu.be/ke7FZz0DHQU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

Drakengard somehow manages to take “dynasty warriors with dragons and magic” and somehow make it less interesting

That said if they ever do a remaster I will buy it

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

to be fair to drakengard, Yoko Taro wanted it to be Ace Combat with dragons, but Square made him add in the dynasty warriors ground combat

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The DoD1 version of Growing Wings is amazing because it's a genuinely pretty song overlaid by the most intrusive looping tone and that's great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1gVwUDz0Ts

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Man I'm at a point in Route C where I realize I'm underleveled by just a little but getting like 2-shotted by loving everything. It sucks because combat being that much more of a slog at 15 hours in s loving awful and it's weird how I'm being punished for not doing more sidequest stuff. Is there an easy way to grind back up or should I just put the difficulty down until the levels are more equal?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Hikaki posted:

If you're into experimental noise electronica, apparently Drakengard 1's ost is mind boggling.

Or if you ever wondered what would happen if you dosed an entire orchestra with Scarecrow's fear toxin and forced them to play a concert while tripping their pants off in terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzEfkUNqpwk

"The Silence is Mine" from Drakengard 3 is crazy good. I love how it just keeps building momentum for seven minutes.