Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fixed, apparently. As well as the contract bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Still a poo poo ton of Pyros running around. :sigh:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So, uh, the game stole Dragon's Fury from me. I played after the update dropped the other day, earned the weapon and used it to get 75 points towards its specific contract. Today I logged in to play more and I still have the contract at 75 but the weapon is not in my inventory.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
You don't get to keep the weapon until you actually finish the primary contract. The loaner weapon disappearing is an annoying bug and you can get it back by activating any other random contract, then reactivating the dragon fury contract.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Agoat posted:

Still a poo poo ton of Pyros running around. :sigh:

gently caress the braindead monumentally retarded morons that play this game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i absolutely dont understand the entertainment potential of running and dying to sentries with your lovely rear end flamethrower for upwards of 10 minutes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I cannot decide which system I dislike more, the one from Overwatch where it's highlander mode all the time so whoever loads in fastest is guaranteed to insta-lock the shiny new thing, or TF2's where it's just the wild west and you can lose a match in stunning fashion because your team is completely full of useless pyros

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
probably overwatchs because if your healer is a loving idiot youll have to pick someone who isnt mainly dedicated to healing.
which really means that it comes down to skill, and if you have a team of 10 carpets, you will win. these guys were not carpet. not at all

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I still hate how you can no longer work on two contracts at once (really, you should be able to work on a bunch).

Why can't I do the soldier and black box contracts at the same time, so I can try and fail to dive-bomb people 20 times instead of 40?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ArfJason posted:

gently caress the braindead monumentally retarded morons that play this game

My dude you have had nine literal years to get used to this phenomenon, I don’t know what to tell you.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I still hate how you can no longer work on two contracts at once (really, you should be able to work on a bunch).

Why can't I do the soldier and black box contracts at the same time, so I can try and fail to dive-bomb people 20 times instead of 40?

That's probably a casualty of the "friends can do your contracts" system. Which is kind of neat, but that's all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ariong posted:

My dude you have had nine literal years to get used to this phenomenon, I don’t know what to tell you.

its never been this bad because there has never been a specific mission tree for one class available for free to literal thousands of players at once.

at most you'd get i dunno 4 spies trying a new knife or something, not this

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
Naw, years ago when the Engy update launched you'd get 8 engineers per team buidling Level 3s outside spawn and waiting for the one moron who'd gone Spy to walk up undisguised and get turned into pink jam.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I remember the first pyro update, when the back burner gave you 50+ extra health for no real reason.. Lotta loving pyros on that day too.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I actually got to play 5CP tonight.

I didn't even mind all the broken Pyros, because Coldfront is just such a fun map to play.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Does the match making server work yet?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jippa posted:

Does the match making server work yet?

Yesterday I got into a game within 5 minutes. It's gotten better at least.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I get into matches pretty much instantly now, I'd say it works.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The teams-full-of-pyros situation seems to be better on the Australian servers now. Granted, I'm still seeing around four Pyros on each team, but let's be honest - if this event wasn't going on, it'd just be four Snipers instead.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish they'd given the DR a little more charge rate or something when they nerfed it, it feels kinda awkward to use now.
Also, the new YER feels awful, the cloak drain is really noticeable.

Honestly, all the Spy changes feel like kneejerk reactions from someone who never really plays spy, they seem really half-assed.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

For the last several matches I saw the number of Pyros per team drop to about 2 or 3 now. I'm guessing the masses either got their jetpacks and slappers, or simply gave up by this point.
Also after growing completely sick of playing Hightower, I'm so glad to see Banana Bay turn out as amazing as it did.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

ArfJason posted:

its never been this bad because

Bullllllllllshit. It has ALWAYS been this bad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder if Banana Bay could actually become a comp league map? I think it has most of the qualities needed for one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
payload is inherently boring in league because someone needs to be The Cart Fucker, and i imagine it's even worse in payload race. Also the cart spends a significant amount of time right by the enemy's spawn and, based on my comp ctf experience, that's always a disaster

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Broken Cog posted:

I wish they'd given the DR a little more charge rate or something when they nerfed it, it feels kinda awkward to use now.

Most DR Spies I see these days seem to be trying to circumvent the nerf by using the L'Etranger.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

turboraton posted:

Bullllllllllshit. It has ALWAYS been this bad.

I can count on my hands the amount of times ive seen 9 of the same loving class in the team at once, and a couple of them are due to this update.
Its never been this bad. Statistically difficult to see that many pub players choosing the same class without something like a class specific update

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
It was really bad during the weekend but it's died down a bit in my servers (NA West). Instead of having 8-11 pyros there's 'only' around 3-5 now.

Also I wish we could have multiple contracts active. I get that they're supposed to be done over 3 months and the class contracts overlap a lot, but it's kind of annoying when I have to do the same thing 3 times because they're spread out over 3 contracts. At the very least, letting us have a class and map contract active at the same time would be great.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Until everyone gets their pyro goodies, you’ll see 3+ on each team every game. We need to understand that is just how the game is until contracts are up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I can finally play the game and everything is wrong. My mouse feels like there's a delay to it, network latency is poo poo compared to Overwatch so every projectile takes a noticeable moment to actually fire. Everything is just Wrong.

AxisofIdiocy
Mar 5, 2009

What do you mean this
isn't the ketchup?

Slime posted:

so every projectile takes a noticeable moment to actually fire. Everything is just Wrong.

i want to say there's a cfg for this but it very well might be a placebo.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

I can finally play the game and everything is wrong. My mouse feels like there's a delay to it, network latency is poo poo compared to Overwatch so every projectile takes a noticeable moment to actually fire. Everything is just Wrong.

I can't see your setup but check mouse options and make sure there's no acceleration and raw input is checked.

I had similar issues with weapons firing a quarter second after clicking and think it may have something to do with the default network settings but I dont really know. creating a custom cfg fixed it for me.

It might be more than you're willing to put in but try using the site cfg.tf to generate one to fit your needs. Just go through the tabs picking options you like, generate it, extract where it tells you to and add the launch options in steams tf2 properties menu. Takes about 5 mins or so.

If you've already done that then sorry, maybe someone else knows more than I do about it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jinh posted:

I can't see your setup but check mouse options and make sure there's no acceleration and raw input is checked.

I had similar issues with weapons firing a quarter second after clicking and think it may have something to do with the default network settings but I dont really know. creating a custom cfg fixed it for me.

It might be more than you're willing to put in but try using the site cfg.tf to generate one to fit your needs. Just go through the tabs picking options you like, generate it, extract where it tells you to and add the launch options in steams tf2 properties menu. Takes about 5 mins or so.

If you've already done that then sorry, maybe someone else knows more than I do about it.

Yeah, I already used cfg.tf, turned off acceleration and turned raw input on like any sensible person should. My ping is like 60ms, which apparently counts as good but I'll try the 'bad' network settings at some point to see if that works.

lol at these balance changes though, the DR is goddamn trash now holy poo poo

like i don't think they had any idea how big a nerf that was to it

Slime fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 25, 2017

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
pfff dead ringer was a crutch for garbage spies... qwtf/tfc feigning...now that was an art! hell, we had to walk 50 miles barefoot in the snow for a 2fort scrim and we liked it that way! kids these days with their newfangled whatchamajiggers don't even know they're born.
*accidentally spits dentures into soup*

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
i actually played spy for the first time ever with the normal watch and uh the cloak lasts for a surprisingly long time, even more if you know where ammo crates are.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
invis watch has always been supremely good

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ArfJason posted:

invis watch has always been supremely good

Caveat, on good maps.

Turbine! :argh:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

reignofevil posted:

Caveat, on good maps.

Turbine! :argh:

right.
Such a hoot on thundermountain where theres a trillion large ammo boxes

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I took since launch, but I finally got the Consolation Prize achievement. I've been backstabbed 50 times.

Tale
Jul 31, 2013

I picked up this game again back in August for the first time in five or six years and have been playing quite a bit of it since then. I've stuck pretty much entirely to pubs because I felt that getting into competitive TF2 this late in the game's life cycle seemed pointless, but I'm questioning that after the update. I hear Valve's gonna revamp their broken competitive matchmaking system, but I've also heard and read a little about UGC and was wondering if that's a community worth getting involved with at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you can rustle up 5 other people you enjoy playing with that are also keen, it should be pretty good.

Not sure I'd recommend jumping in with randos though - it'd be really hard to find people at the appropriate level of seriousness, and having a big seriousness mismatch isn't so great for having fun.