Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Angry_Ed posted:

Considering McConnell also went "Mr. President" I think it's the President of the Senate and not the POTUS, but perhaps his context is different from Flake's.

it's both, i meant it's clear in context where flake is referring to trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Oxyclean posted:

I can't get over how ugly Trump's signature is.

Granted most signatures are illegible to varying degrees, his last name is just ridiculous.

Looks like a bunch of Klansmen having a rally.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Here's John.

Drop some F Bombs John

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

no he's not. it's clear in context. i'm sure there'll be video everywhere all day. check it out

He's talking about Trumpism and Trump in the speech, but the references to "mr president" are to the senate president.

That's why he ended with "Mr President I yield the floor."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Let's see if McCain follows suit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

They Twitter account is...eye opening

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Because of loving course.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That was quite a good speech. Good job Jeff.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"There's a place called Snowflake, Arizona." - Senator John McCain

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Nuke Twitter forever. Garbage rear end website

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Nuke Twitter forever. Garbage rear end website

you cant nuke a website you loving moron

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Weak McCain

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

There Bias Two posted:

That was quite a good speech. Good job Jeff.

I've really got to agree. That was pretty much just what needed to be said, right on point. :golfclap:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Wow, it's like that SNL sketch with John Cena.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

awesmoe posted:

you do realize websites are hosted on physical computers right? the datacenter could certainly be nuked if someone was so inclined

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
anyway here's a transcript
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/24/politics/jeff-flake-retirement-speech-full-text/index.html

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Speech? What speech?

- the GOP probably.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Get hosed Sessions

https://twitter.com/JanesDueProcess/status/922902988963893249

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

awesmoe posted:

nuke the entire earth and you'll get it eventually

anyways, here's the good stuff

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/922906813342867456

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I applaud good actions even if they're from terrible people, because goddamn we really need some good actions from people with influence. I won't applaud the shitbag, but I will applaud the action.

"Reckless, outrageous, and undignified behavior has become excused and countenanced as "telling it like it is," when it is actually just reckless, outrageous, and undignified."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
lol now I'm listening to Rand Paul

he dum

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"republicans need to speak up against trump!"

:republican speaks up against trump:

"umm, why should we listen to this guy??? he's a REPUBLICAN"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh here's Mark Meadows to raise my blood pressure.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So we've got McCain, Corker and Flake. If they teamed up with the 48 Democrats they could hold anything and everything hostage until we get hearings, investigations, probes, tax returns, anything. No tax reform without tax returns. No judicial nominations without a Russia investigation.

I'm not going to hold my breath, nor am I going to give any credit until they do that.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I applaud good actions even if they're from terrible people, because goddamn we really need some good actions from people with influence. I won't applaud the shitbag, but I will applaud the action.

"Reckless, outrageous, and undignified behavior has become excused and countenanced as "telling it like it is," when it is actually just reckless, outrageous, and undignified."

When the shitpile is this thick, I'll take what I can get.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mannnn, I can't watch the video until my power comes back and my WiFi is restored, stupid wind storm!

BootStrap posted:

1. Blueberry
2. Peach
3. Rhubarb
4. Strawberry
5. Cherry
6. Apple

Pies in the order of deliciousness and political correctness.
Uh, you gently caress, it's clearly

1-20: pumpkin pie
21: raspberry pie
22: apple pie
23: blueberry I guess
24: cherry if they don't gently caress up the skins
25: your mom

KickerOfMice posted:

Well, I can truthfully say I did not expect that today.

:stare:
THE ARISTOCRATS!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No one is going to impeach over "he's a dumb poopy doo doo liar". That is a thing that will get support when impeachment happens but impeachment won't happen until there is a specific concrete crime to make the trial about. Like once the actual investigations return results.

Man, remember that time our president was impeached for lying about a blowjob?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol would the Dems be dumb enough to run Hillary 2.0?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

awesmoe posted:

Almost like it's a saying. Still doesn't change that it's a garbage rear end website

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol would the Dems be dumb enough to run Hillary 2.0?

I'd vote for Daisy

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"The notion that one should stay silent as the norms and values that keep America strong are undermined and as the alliances and agreements that ensure the stability of the entire world are routinely threatened by the level of thought that goes into 140 characters - the notion that one should say and do nothing in the face of such mercurial behavior is ahistoric and, I believe, profoundly misguided."

EDIT: Trump and everyone who supports him and thinks like him needs to be gone. When that's done we can get back to the usual business of trying to reduce the power of everyday shithead Republicans. So steps toward the first goal are important.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

why does everyone in the thread feel that the most important thing is reminding everyone that Republicans are still bad when they go against Trump

we all already know that, focus on the part that's interesting about the situation

Because there's a lot of dupes in the world who look at something like this and don't realize it's just another calculated political move.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Huzanko posted:

Man, remember that time our president was impeached for lying about a blowjob?

I remember that it was the specific crime of perjury that was hung on AND I remember that not being successful and failing to remove the president with the attempt.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheScott2K posted:

He's addressing whoever is presiding over the Senate, as is customary.

This can get really awkward.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Peanut butter pie.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Let's see if McCain follows suit.

got a hunch mccain isn't too concerned with having to run for re-election

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How are all you fuckers missing Pecan?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Huzanko posted:

Because there's a lot of dupes in the world who look at something like this and don't realize it's just another calculated political move.

Something can be calculated while still being right. That doesn't really reduce its value.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

theflyingorc posted:

why does everyone in the thread feel that the most important thing is reminding everyone that Republicans are still bad when they go against Trump

we all already know that, focus on the part that's interesting about the situation

I'm already bitter ahead of time that these maverick senators, who have plenty of power at their disposal, will use none of it to actually do anything about Trump. Once there are actual results I'll be the first one to praise them. For now they're happy to just stand at a podium and go "oh it sure would be nice if someone did something", when their part of their job description is keeping the executive in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Your Taint posted:

Trump will brag about this is what happens when you cross him or some poo poo like that.

Is it "Condiv" that means irrational panicking? I feel like GOPes not running again means a crazier can take the seat and not a non regressive or Dem.

• Locked thread