Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"I'm not defending sexism I'm just saying I don't oppose it when used against women I hate"
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yes, and the reason I'm hammering on it in here is anything you repeat often enough becomes true. The left is full of people who want to be rational about politics, and what feels rational is sticking to things that feel like bedrock truths. When you all repeat the same Obvious Facts to each other and never break outside of your comfort zone, and shout down anyone from outside the bubble who comes in and disagrees with you, you're moving farther and farther to the right, and making it easier for the republican party to attack us from the inside.

All of you hate Hillary because you've absorbed right-wing propaganda about her for your entire lives. You're sitting here going "but Iraq" because forty years ago men got outraged that she had the gall to get a law degree. You're predisposed to hate every woman and minority in the public eye, and the RWM is ready and eager to help you out by supplying "facts" to make your bias feel true, and look true to whoever you spread it to.

A thousand years ago the king of Poland got into too much debt with a Jewish moneylender and now we've got internet frogs putting journalists' name in triple-parentheses and sending them death threats. This poo poo doesn't go away on its own. It has to be actively quashed, and that means learning how to be self-critical.

This hit home hard when i heard the same things coming out of the mouth of Rush Limbaugh as I did people on the left in regards to democrats who happen to be women. a 35 year smear campaign has infected these people's minds and it is sad to see.

Talmonis posted:

Right now, I think it's the infighting that's going to do us in. I don't care if you're a centrist or a progressive, so long as you vote with your party when it counts, because you can be drat sure that the Republicans will be. Pelosi is the woman who can make that happen, and has done so for a long time. The DNC needs an attack dog as chairperson. Someone who is both powerful and merciless when it comes to party loyalty. Someone who can destroy a Lieberman or a Cruz who screw up the chances of big projects getting passed, out of greed.

:agreed:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I love defending wealthy white old people on the internets

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If I can be sexist to wealthy white women can I also be racist to wealthy black women? Or wealthy black men?

I'm trying to figure out where the line is so I can still be cool with the absolute worst part of humanity.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

botany posted:

schumer doesn't need to be defended if people aren't attacking him. pelosi, despite being a demonstrably better and more progressive politician, gets poo poo on constantly by the same posters. gonna put on my loving thinking face here and wonder why that might be

Do you really think there are people who take issue with Pelosi's performance that don't take issue with Schumer's?

I guess I don't really see the evidence that sexism is driving the criticism of Pelosi.

quote:

All of you hate Hillary because you've absorbed right-wing propaganda about her for your entire lives. You're sitting here going "but Iraq" because forty years ago men got outraged that she had the gall to get a law degree. You're predisposed to hate every woman and minority in the public eye, and the RWM is ready and eager to help you out by supplying "facts" to make your bias feel true, and look true to whoever you spread it to.

This is just absurd. Plenty of us who "hate" Hillary also hate Obama, Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, and the entire cast of Democrats we've seen for the past 20 years. Democrats do not hold some kind of monopoly on being right and anyone who disagrees with them is a victim of the RWM. That's such a painfully incorrect and insulting insinuation.

Hillary is one of the least liked politicians in America and you're here to tell us anyone who hates her does for sexist reasons. It's a joke.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Push El Burrito posted:

If I can be sexist to wealthy white women can I also be racist to wealthy black women? Or wealthy black men?

I'm trying to figure out where the line is so I can still be cool with the absolute worst part of humanity.

Sure buddy.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone wanna talk about Hillary's flag burning bill?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Push El Burrito posted:

People sincerely argue those latter two all the time. See also the difference in outrage when a black celebrity commits domestic violence or sexual assault vs. a white celebrity.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Do you really think there are people who take issue with Pelosi's performance that don't take issue with Schumer's?
Yes! You're one of them! The only reason Schumer's even in this conversation is because actual progressives brought him up to make a point about how people like you, cultural conservatives who only vote D because of a roll of the dice somewhere in your backstory, never even mention him though he's worse on the issues you flog women politicians for.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I guess I don't really see the evidence that sexism is driving the criticism of Pelosi.
You don't see loving anything at all and that's the problem everyone's been trying to tell you every time you make a lovely post for years now.

NewForumSoftware posted:

This is just absurd. Plenty of us who "hate" Hillary also hate Obama, Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, and the entire cast of Democrats we've seen for the past 20 years. Democrats do not hold some kind of monopoly on being right and anyone who disagrees with them is a victim of the RWM. That's such a painfully incorrect and insulting insinuation.

Hillary is one of the least liked politicians in America and you're here to tell us anyone who hates her does for sexist reasons. It's a joke.

You're a lying rear end in a top hat and if you had the capacity for self-awareness to observe the difference between the women and the black man you can't quit screeching about and the white men you only acknowledge when somebody else mentions them then maybe you wouldn't have to feel so defensive in this discussion right now.

If you start acting like an actual progressive all of this goes away, snowflake. But you'd have to listen to other human beings instead of just whining and lying all the time and we can't have that.

Serious advice: You would be so much happier as a Republican. They'd love you, and you'd never have to cope with someone criticizing your fragile masculinity ever again.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 24, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

you of all people don't see sexism? :monocle: this is unexpected and shocking to me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
here. look. news.

https://twitter.com/maryjpitzl/status/922897555192557568

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/922902565385375744

https://twitter.com/NickRiccardi/status/922902687888302080

Jeff Flake and Bob Corker have declared war on Trump.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NewForumSoftware posted:

Amazing how he never seems to come up but she comes up a ton then.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

botany posted:

you of all people don't see sexism? :monocle: this is unexpected and shocking to me.

It would help if someone actually pointed out something sexist instead of saying "all these words about pelosi but what about schumer?" like the left isn't quick to eviscerate any of the garbage he spews

Zore posted:

Amazing how he never seems to come up but she comes up a ton then. :thinking:

turn on your monitor?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

It would help if someone actually pointed out something sexist instead of saying "all these words about pelosi but what about schumer?" like the left isn't quick to eviscerate any of the garbage he spews

turn on your monitor?

I'm shocked that no one has levied the charge of anti semitism yet against anyone criticizing Schumer

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Plenty of us who "hate" Hillary also hate Obama, Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, and the entire cast of Democrats we've seen for the past 20 years. Democrats do not hold some kind of monopoly on being right and anyone who disagrees with them is a victim of the RWM. That's such a painfully incorrect and insulting insinuation.

Pretty clear that the hate is disproportionate to the extreme on the side of women. Clinton and Pelosi get a lot more poo poo than Schumer and Booker.

Then again, the opinions of Tankies aren't terribly important on the subject of Democratic party unity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Really when you think about it, the people who hate Obama are probably the core of the Democratic primary voters.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

"Point out the sexism... no not MY sexism! Sexism I can wash my hands of!!"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

turn on your monitor?

it would help if you took a swan dive into a woodchipper too, but i guess we're both going to bed unsatisfied tonight

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Talmonis posted:

Pretty clear that the hate is disproportionate to the extreme on the side of women. Clinton and Pelosi get a lot more poo poo than Schumer and Booker.

Then again, the opinions of Tankies aren't terribly important on the subject of Democratic party unity.

Well of course they do. Clinton is a much more public figure than any of those. Pelosi has been around a hell of a lot longer as the Democratic house leader, and Booker is essentially a no-name in the national political scene. Schumer DOES get criticism, Booker DOES get criticism. The only thing is, it almost exclusively comes from the left. Where are the centrists calling out their bad policies? Oh wait, they agree with them.

botany posted:

it would help if you took a swan dive into a woodchipper too, but i guess we're both going to bed unsatisfied tonight

"Point out the sexism... no not MY sexism! Sexism I can wash my hands of!!"
:cry::cry::cry:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Really when you think about it, the people who hate Obama are probably the core of the Democratic primary voters.

Ah yes, the "core" of the deadest, most inept party in modern history

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

Well of course they do. Clinton is a much more public figure than any of those. Pelosi has been around a hell of a lot longer as the Democratic house leader, and Booker is essentially a no-name in the national political scene. Schumer DOES get criticism, Booker DOES get criticism. The only thing is, it almost exclusively comes from the left. Where are the centrists calling out their bad policies? Oh wait, they agree with them.
Oh wow, the incorrigible bigot has justifications for his bigotry? I guess it's okay then!

You can justify anything. Bigotry always feels true. Grow some loving self-awareness and at least accept this fact in abstract, even if you'll never be smart or strong enough to apply it to yourself.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Oh wow, the incorrigible bigot has justifications for his bigotry? I guess it's okay then!

You can justify anything. Bigotry always feels true. Grow some loving self-awareness and at least accept this fact in abstract, even if you'll never be smart or strong enough to apply it to yourself.

:ironicat:

Keep posting angrily into the void like it's doing anything other than make people shake their heads disappointedly

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

How a pepe concedes defeat.

Edit: Aahahahahahhah a tone argument! Somebody crown this guy King Liberal before he transcends to the next plane.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Trabisnikof posted:

??????

I've read some theories over the past few months but this is just a "What the...?"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

It's too bad we will never see enough defectors for the 25th amendment to be on the table.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

please don't pretend you understand irony, alanis

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RuanGacho posted:

??????

I've read some theories over the past few months but this is just a "What the...?"

:ssh: racists

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

white sauce posted:

Anyone wanna talk about Hillary's flag burning bill?

if you mean feinstein i will never not lol at seeing her stupid bill used as a example of fallacies in three separate california college classes

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Please help me, this era we live in has entirely destroyed my ability to parse sarcasm in text. You're joking right?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
One small thing I’ll say about Pelosi over Schumer is that ‘defending the ACA’ was something of a cheap priority back when it was relevant but it was leagues ahead of the sinister garbage Schumer peddled with his ‘bipartisan solutions’ to healthcare announced immediately before G-C talks started up.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

Jeff Flake and Bob Corker have declared war on Trump.*

*still vote party line 99.99% of the time

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Office Pig posted:

One small thing I’ll say about Pelosi over Schumer is that ‘defending the ACA’ was something of a cheap priority back when it was relevant but it was leagues ahead of the sinister garbage Schumer peddled with his ‘bipartisan solutions’ to healthcare announced immediately before G-C talks started up.

Pelosi is demonstrably better than most bad Democrats. That being said, she's still firmly in the "bad" category until she enthusiastically takes up single payer healthcare, taxing the rich, ending the mic, reforming the police, ending the war on drugs, etc

She's the lesser evil of the lesser evils

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

*still vote party line 99.99% of the time

I give props to Flake for his decision to not run for reelection due to moral and ethical concerns. This way, at least he'll be just another Republican voter and not a senator, come 2018. Who knows, maybe they'll run a Sharon Angle clone and lose the seat.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Five pages of pelosi talk because Loam brought her up as becoming speaker of the house.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

??????

Talmonis posted:

Please help me, this era we live in has entirely destroyed my ability to parse sarcasm in text. You're joking right?

Yeah, it's a dangerous tool to use but I was being sarcastic. Obama will be our Reagan, beloved beyond his reality. If we survive and crush the GOP it will be impossible to stop us looking back and imagining the world where Obama only had to make deals to the left and begin to envision a better world we missed.

Even if I am disappointed in his term or his leadership, I'd argue he's the greatest American president since FDR. Although the tragedy of LBJ probably personally fascinates me more.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

white sauce posted:

So what do you think about Hillary's flag burning bill?

Yes Hilary is a neocon, please stfu.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

theCalamity posted:

Five pages of pelosi talk because Loam brought her up as becoming speaker of the house.

Big loving shocker right there.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

theCalamity posted:

Oh yeah, it's my fault that people are loving misogynist pieces of poo poo.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Archonex posted:

To be fair, it came out later on that the senators in deliberations over whether to authorize and push for a war were outright, straight up, no foolin' lied too about the reasons why it was necessary.

I don't really disagree, it's clear the Bush administration flat out fabricated the motivation for the Iraq war. I'd make two points:

-a lot of Senators and House Reps (including the dread Pelosi) were able to see through the ruse and vote against the war, as well as a good portion of the public. Hans Blix (head of the actual UN monitoring body) was practically standing on his seat in the UN shouting that the claims for WMDs were unsubstantiated. The Bush admin's motivations were pretty transparent and I'm skeptical that any prominent Democrat honestly believed Iraq was any kind of threat to the US or the region. As a Canadian watching from the sidelines the whole affair was pretty scary, an episode of violent mass delusion. I never liked Chretien but he was at least grounded enough in reality to refuse to support the war, although the Canadian public was pretty one-sided in it's opposition.

-even if they were fooled, so what? Their judgement was poor and they voted for a war that lead to the grisly death of a lot of people. I don't particularly care if they were deceived, as their should be consequences. Getting chased out of politics is getting off easy considering the suffering they caused.

I don't think the American public or political class really learned from the disaster that was Iraq, despite the enormous cost. Your average Democrat voter might agree it was a mistake, but as far as Democrat politicians are concerned there was no downside for supporting the war. If there was a progressive faction capable of primarying war-supporting Democrats and holding them accountable for their poor judgement the next generation of political leaders might be less likely to repeat the mistake and the world would be a better place. Instead Schumer is the Democrat senate leader and likely can remain so as long as he wants.

twodot posted:

Ok, but now Schumer is being attacked:

How long till people show up to defend him?

Two minutes after you go to bed, gremlin-like.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NewForumSoftware posted:

Pelosi is demonstrably better than most bad Democrats. That being said, she's still firmly in the "bad" category until she enthusiastically takes up single payer healthcare, taxing the rich, ending the mic, reforming the police, ending the war on drugs, etc

She's the lesser evil of the lesser evils

None of those things will ever happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Even if I am disappointed in his term or his leadership, I'd argue he's the greatest American president since FDR.

I'll bite, based on what

Motto posted:

None of those things will ever happen

Agreed, but that won't stop liberals from accusing anyone of the left of sexism if they dare levy any sort of criticism.

• Locked thread