Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Joukamachi no Dandelion/Castle Town Dandelion had a good anime. I've read that the manga, after the events covered in the anime, has a time-skip that ages all the characters; in the opinion of many, the manga goes greatly downhill after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fangz posted:

Ping Pong.

except for all the parts where it's basically a motion comic

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

khy posted:

I'm curious, ADTRW. Lately I've been reading a lot of manga, and enjoying it more than anime. In the past it's always been the other way around. It's got me to thinking. Is the manga ALWAYS better than the shows?

Can you guys give me some examples of anime that's better than the manga it's based on?

Out of curiosity, what made you enjoy anime more than manga in the past?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/drawingchisanne/status/922833292063154176
:3:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

cube birb

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd say Slice Of Life stuff usually does better animated than in manga, in my experience, outside of a few cases where the original manga just has mindblowingly incredible art that doesn't lend itself to being accurately animated on your average anime budget. K-On, Hidamari Sketch, New Game all benefit quite a bit from anime that added more connective tissue between scenes and generally took more time to flesh out the characters and let them breathe a bit.

There's also the fact that having some nice music can do a lot to enhance an otherwise dull scene, or make comedic parts work better.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

smenj posted:

There's also the fact that having some nice music can do a lot to enhance an otherwise dull scene, or make comedic parts work better.

Plus much tighter control over timing. I feel like Hidamari Sketch in particular is a good example of that - especially early on when the actual animation was pretty low-rent.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

except for all the parts where it's basically a motion comic

A manga can't play the song Midnight Flight so anime wins again

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/922939324559187968?s=09

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Imagine the scenes from late in Made in Abyss without the sound and not in motion.

Having read the later chapters now nothing compares to to the earlier stuff I saw for the first time in the anime rather than the manga.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Beato Believer posted:

Joukamachi no Dandelion/Castle Town Dandelion had a good anime. I've read that the manga, after the events covered in the anime, has a time-skip that ages all the characters; in the opinion of many, the manga goes greatly downhill after that.

Haven't seen the anime but it looks like it's about the same as the original manga ending. I'm not sure if it officially ended and then restarted or if it just went on a 4 month break while the author figured something out but either way it was very clearly intended to end there.

I'm also not sure if the first part was a fluke or if editors/lack of motivation and ideas are making the newer chapters worse, cause most of the stuff I dislike was there since the start, it just feels like there's more of the bad parts and they're worse.
Hmm thinking about it I would say it feels more generic now, with less personality to the characters. Introducing a new character immediately and focusing mostly on her also didn't exactly help, even if that part definitely felt like the author had simply finished most of the old casts arcs and stories and thus didn't know what to do.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nitrousoxide posted:

Imagine the scenes from late in Made in Abyss without the sound and not in motion.

i watched the ozen fight, yes

you picked an odd comparison since made in abyss has a terrific style in the manga with super good paneling in fights and very expansive pages during exploration

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Anime Chat Thread 19: Appreciation for butts

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having read the later chapters now nothing compares to to the earlier stuff I saw for the first time in the anime rather than the manga.

The voice acting and music add a lot, yes. But the flow of action in the manga is much better than the anime. I can't imagine the Reg vs Bondrewd fight will look anywhere near as terrific if it ever gets animated, if the Ozen fight is anything to go by. And the manga has a really nice artstyle, wispy and rough, that gives it a unique dreamlike-feel. Also the anime has a very slow pacing, which leads to a lot of nothing happening for a few episodes around the middle.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Yeah and I bet it’s even better if you watch it jul

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huzzah! posted:

I think that's implied

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ooh oh oh one thing the New Game! manga has better clothes than the anime (yes I understand why I'm just sad about Naru's shirt and Umiko's coat).

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Huzzah! posted:

Now that's a title I can support

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Simulacra posted:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saint Seiya anime is better than the manga

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Absum posted:

Ooh oh oh one thing the New Game! manga has better clothes than the anime (yes I understand why I'm just sad about Naru's shirt and Umiko's coat).

pics?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Absum posted:

Oh drat I forgot about Naru's shirt with all the text on it

Absum
May 28, 2013

I'm embarrassed way too quickly...

But alright

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

It's legitimately a good book!

Also I'm 99% sure I've posted those Fellows! Pages in a previous chat thread.

Simulacra posted:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mob Psycho 100
Madoka Magica
Planetes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Julias posted:

It's legitimately a good book!

Also I'm 99% sure I've posted those Fellows! Pages in a previous chat thread.

I really want Anything & Something now after seeing those pages, but it's out of print?? ffff

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Absum
May 28, 2013

I should have posted the anime counterparts as well whoops

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Good

Just chompin' away in the background :3:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 25, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

At long last Tom Nook can extort real life money from me.

https://twitter.com/ninwire/status/923021884932939777

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As I scroll thru twitter i see I'm the approximately 32400000th person to make a version of that joke :tipshat:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

x

x

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
okay i get why the tldr-shirt didn't make it into the anime but ahagon's coat shoulda got in!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it's a really good coat

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I found her

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, this Idol documentary that netflix recommended to me turned out to be pretty good. Hyadain shows up in it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

finally, cardfight vanguard does something right

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

omedetou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNS2D6yoZgw