Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Wheeee posted:

I don't even know why you'd want a manual in anything other than a sports car or a torqueless compact, modern automatics are great.

I enjoy driving? :shrug:

My truck, and my wife's Focus, are fun as hell to drive because they're both five-speeds. If they had automatics I would hate driving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'd drive my Abarth about half as often if it had an auto instead of a stick. So much of the fun is rowing my own gears.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My Speed3 would be better with a DSG. :yum:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I enjoy driving? :shrug:

My truck, and my wife's Focus, are fun as hell to drive because they're both five-speeds. If they had automatics I would hate driving them.

The base model focus is fun as hell with an automatic. I had one as a rental and it was a hoot.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Michael Scott posted:

Modern DCTs are even better.

Only sometimes. The Ford ones were mostly trash, as was the VaG 7 speed for many years (not the high output one, the one that went into little diesels)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's the eternal argument, better doesn't necessarily mean more fun. It may also mean different fun.

In may not be able to cook a dish at home better than a restaurant, but there's a certain amount of satisfaction in doing it anyways.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

I don't even know why you'd want a manual in anything other than a sports car or a torqueless compact, modern automatics are great.

There's a level of engagement I get with a manual that I absolutely don't get in a car with an automatic. It's as simple as that.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

fknlo posted:

There's a level of engagement I get with a manual that I absolutely don't get in a car with an automatic. It's as simple as that.

There's a level of engagement I get from walking or riding a bicycle too but it doesn't mean I am going to use them all the time for commuting or travelling long distances.

Manuals are great and I enjoy using them however as I can only afford one car and it gets used for a lot of city traffic I had to go for a DSG. Flappy paddles don't have the same engagement as a manual shifter but for the other times when I'm creeping in bumper to bumper traffic or on the phone (hands free of course) the automatic side of it completely makes sense.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I much prefer my manual in traffic than an DSG I’ve ever come across - they simply aren’t well behaved at low speeds compared to a proper auto and are only there for cost reasons.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Michael Scott posted:

Careful, this is universally accepted by American buyers but among enthusiasts a Very Unpopular Opinion. Modern DCTs are even better.

Nah DCTs suck because they make it harder to make high-HP specials and are either extremely expensive or else fragile and lovely.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Manual transmissions are great because they're just a box o' gears and oil with a stick in it, and there's essentially nothing that can go wrong unless you try to hook one up to an overpowered engine.

The proper answer to "but what about creeping in traffic" is, of course, to buy a motorcycle so you can split lanes and never have to deal with that poo poo.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Nah DCTs suck because they make it harder to make high-HP specials and are either extremely expensive or else fragile and lovely.

Yeah I mean, if money were no object I guess I'd want a perfect DCT. It seems like middling-cost Nice Cars tend to use very solid 8 speed shiftable autos which I like. The newest A4 has a DCT which is well-reviewed.

VVV I actually like getting the best of both worlds, even in heavy traffic. When I'm in the mood I'll put it into shiftable and stay in 1 or 2 to use the brake pedal less.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 25, 2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I guess I'm an outlier but I'm in bumper to bumper for at least 2 hours a day and having a manual box has never bothered me. It stinks either way, and I'd rather take a train.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Torque converter with full lockup has way better low speed behavior while still being as mechanically efficient. Even the weights are improving.

Bumper to bumper, the best is advanced cruise control. Taking a train literally stinks (like piss)

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

I particularly love the PDK from Porsche.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The current Mazda 6AT is absolutely excellent with the 2.5L engine, though the gears are a bit on the tall side. It responds really really well to throttle input and shifts pretty quick and the manual mode will stay at the rev limiter all day without upshifting for you.

I still miss driving a manual. I don't spend as much time in congested traffic as I thought I would when I bought the car, and there are times when no automatic can read the situation to know what I need, like making a right turn out of an uncontrolled intersection in the rain where I can't apply full throttle til the wheel is straight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Human Grand Prix posted:

I guess I'm an outlier but I'm in bumper to bumper for at least 2 hours a day and having a manual box has never bothered me. It stinks either way, and I'd rather take a train.

Being in traffic sucks whether you have an auto or a manual.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

FBS posted:

The current Mazda 6AT is absolutely excellent with the 2.5L engine, though the gears are a bit on the tall side. It responds really really well to throttle input and shifts pretty quick and the manual mode will stay at the rev limiter all day without upshifting for you.

Still getting used to my Mazda auto (2017 6 Grand Touring w/ Premium Pkg), coming from my last 2 dailies being manual. Is the behavior different if you physically move the shifter versus just using the paddles while in Auto? The only time I really bother with manumatic is using the paddle to downshift 2-3 gears to pass on a two lane. I find just putting it in Sport usually works better, it will hold a gear surprisingly high into the rev range.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

omg Mazda at Tokyo Motor Show :swoon:

Kai Production "Concept"

Vision Coupe

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Q_res posted:

Still getting used to my Mazda auto (2017 6 Grand Touring w/ Premium Pkg), coming from my last 2 dailies being manual. Is the behavior different if you physically move the shifter versus just using the paddles while in Auto? The only time I really bother with manumatic is using the paddle to downshift 2-3 gears to pass on a two lane. I find just putting it in Sport usually works better, it will hold a gear surprisingly high into the rev range.

If they haven't changed it since 2014, the difference is: using the paddles in D will change the gears based on your input, then after 10-15 seconds the trans will go back to regular automatic mode. When you move the shifter left to M, the trans is in manual only mode and won't change gears without input on either the paddles or +/- on the shifter.

If you're using the paddles in D, you can make it switch back to regular automatic mode sooner by rocking the shifter left to M then right back to D.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Vision Coupe

That isn’t a coupe.

I mean, it’s pretty, but it’s a coupe in the same way that I’m a pangolin.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s a two door car with a trunk, it’s pretty clearly a coupe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It has four doors.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Whatever disease keeps them on rotaries, leaves Mazda engineers unable to count.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS DOORS

Hard to see the rear door seams, but they are there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a god drat picture with 4 doors open.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I like the minimalist interior, looks so fluid.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I like the minimalist interior, looks so fluid.

Reminds me of the dash of the last gen Mazda Cosmo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

They wouldn’t even be the...fifth? manufacturer to call a big swoopy sedan a coupe.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

FBS posted:

I still miss driving a manual. I don't spend as much time in congested traffic as I thought I would when I bought the car, and there are times when no automatic can read the situation to know what I need, like making a right turn out of an uncontrolled intersection in the rain where I can't apply full throttle til the wheel is straight.

I kinda regret getting the manual when I bought my 3 - for myself it isn't an issue but my partner always seems to be in the wrong gear and generally isn't very confident in traffic.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's weird, the shifter in the Miata is fantastic, but the one in the manual 3/6 felt like garbage to me. To the point where even if a manual was offered in the car I bought, I wouldn't have taken it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I guess I'm not that picky - the transmission seems great to me. Clutch is a bit weird, but that goes for everything somewhat modern in my experience.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Note the Mazda Vision has NO CHROME WHATSOEVER on it. Finally someone's left that poo poo behind.

Genuinely some of the most attractive car designs around today without doubt. Sharknose ain't getting through pedestrian safety tests though. :/

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Note the Mazda Vision has NO CHROME WHATSOEVER on it. Finally someone's left that poo poo behind.

:lol: that looks terrible someone give that car a sweater.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Or scythe blades.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Sorry to interrupt the tranny chat, but an aus car review clocked their version of the Stinger GT at 12.79!!! in the quarter mile. I was honestly expecting it to be just over the other side of the 13s line. And that's on an unprepped surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SzjTtCnJy8

Also of interest a Korean tuning company Pross Lap3 has a piggyback chip that bumps the hp/tq from 292hp/344ft/lbs stock on an AWD model to 398hp/476ft/lbs. :aaaaa:

https://www.facebook.com/pross.garage/posts/1969834856595809

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

kill me now posted:

Sorry to interrupt the tranny chat, but an aus car review clocked their version of the Stinger GT at 12.79!!! in the quarter mile. I was honestly expecting it to be just over the other side of the 13s line. And that's on an unprepped surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SzjTtCnJy8

Also of interest a Korean tuning company Pross Lap3 has a piggyback chip that bumps the hp/tq from 292hp/344ft/lbs stock on an AWD model to 398hp/476ft/lbs. :aaaaa:

https://www.facebook.com/pross.garage/posts/1969834856595809

Honestly i expected at least a good 420~430, given the history of TT 6ers. Seems like a case of lower flow turbos.

That is some monstrous loving torque tho.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 25, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Or scythe blades.

Pedestrian safety regs are ridiculous these days

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Q_res posted:

It's weird, the shifter in the Miata is fantastic, but the one in the manual 3/6 felt like garbage to me. To the point where even if a manual was offered in the car I bought, I wouldn't have taken it.

Since it's not direct mounted, not surprising that it's harder. Guess they don't prioritize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

kill me now posted:

I had only heard good things about lap3's tune for the 2.0t in Optimas so I was curious what they'd do with the 3.3tt in the Stinger. That's good information to know even though I'm sure I'll never do it.