Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dragons aren't beastmen. They are sorta involved with the moogles though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Vath deal a tiny bit with the dragons too.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Sarrisan posted:

+1 weapon damage beats any number or type of substats.

the exact numbers are nebulous and I don't remember them exactly, but it's roughly like this:

10-15 substats = 1 mainstat

10 - 20 mainstat = 1 weapon damage

like those are almost certainly wrong numbers but the it gets the idea across. its basically impossible to make up for one less weapon damage no matter what the stats look like; also, the high ilevel weapon will have more mainstat as well. it could be nothing but piety on that spear and probably still be better.

Wow those stat weights are kind of loving ridiculous but fair enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not quite that extreme for secondary to main stats. At the end of Heavensward a point of main stat was worth around 3-6 points of secondary stats, so there was some wiggle room on armor and jewelry. Weapon damage does trump everything though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just got a first time bonus in Brayflox and I don't know how. My party had an AST, a MCH, and a MNK. Now the AST and MCH had to have both cleared it to get into HW to get the job stones, no? It's MSQ required. And then the MNK had the Atma weapon equipped which means they also have at least cleared 2.0. I'm so confused.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

SonicRulez posted:

I just got a first time bonus in Brayflox and I don't know how. My party had an AST, a MCH, and a MNK. Now the AST and MCH had to have both cleared it to get into HW to get the job stones, no? It's MSQ required. And then the MNK had the Atma weapon equipped which means they also have at least cleared 2.0. I'm so confused.

Jump potions?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Quaff books

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

Did you join in progress? Maybe there was a newbie who had dropped out?

E: oh yeah, jump potions.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

RE Haurchefant: if you don't tear up when the spirit of Haurchefant and Ysayle put their hands on yours during one of the important HW cutscenes you are a cold unfeeling monster who probably plays a Lalafell.

Edit: it was the cutscene after Final Steps of Faith ;_;

Concurred fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2017

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Brainamp posted:

Dragons aren't beastmen. They are sorta involved with the moogles though.
Well they do follow the beastman main traits being

1. Majority hating humanity/spoken/whatever
2. It was the people's fault for this

Of course, they don't have a primal, but Goblins aren't a beast tribe either so...

Bolow posted:

You can get the Dragonling from Moogle tribe rep
Oh awesome then. I love whenever you fight one either in a sidequest/dungeon or the field, and it's just a hilariously one-sided beatdown where they do piss damage to you.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rastan Beeza posted:

Of course, they don't have a primal

Bahamut, even though he's not a diety to them.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

Well they do follow the beastman main traits being

1. Majority hating humanity/spoken/whatever
2. It was the people's fault for this

Of course, they don't have a primal, but Goblins aren't a beast tribe either so...

Dragons don't have Tempering, Dravinians are either directly sympathetic to the Dragon's cause like Ysale, or they ingest Dragon Blood which effectively enslaves them to that specific dragon and lets them turn turn into lesser dragons because their ancestors tore apart and ate Hraesvelgr's brood sister

And to be fair, the dragons were 100% justified in being extremely loving pissed about the whole affair

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are there any classes /jobs that should be avoided until patched at the moment? I'm just kind of leveling lancer but wasn't sure if I'd switch it up at some point or to what.

KoB
May 1, 2009
theyre all fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Are there any classes /jobs that should be avoided until patched at the moment? I'm just kind of leveling lancer but wasn't sure if I'd switch it up at some point or to what.

The only job that seems to be a 'avoid' warning is Mechanist which has strong DPS but is absurdly punishing for mistakes compared to other classes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Play what you enjoy most. If you don't know what you enjoy most, go play everything else for a little bit.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The only job that seems to be a 'avoid' warning is Mechanist which has strong DPS but is absurdly punishing for mistakes compared to other classes.

Yeah I’d argue that mch still needs work before it becomes fun to play, but I guess you could also argue that it’s working as intended and just isn’t designed to be the kind of thing that I find fun

So if you love having your main dps combo being tied to procs, and always having to use all of your cooldowns with perfect timing, then i guess give mch a shot when you get to ishgard

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Avoid fisherman.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Bolow posted:

And to be fair, the dragons were 100% justified in being extremely loving pissed about the whole affair

No no, that's what I meant, that humans are usually responsible for the primal/hatred of them from the beast people's.

Limsa straight up disregarded their treaty with the Kobolds and invaded their agreed upon land. Sahagin just want a place to lay their eggs and people ended up encroaching on their habitat.

Tempered sylphs are pissed by the Garlean actions and assume all Spoken are trying to gently caress over the forest (not helped by Elementals being huge aholes themselves).

On a different note, one thing I really like about Estinian is that he goes "Yeah it's completely awful what Thordan did to Ratatoskr, but I'm not going to sit here and just have Elf Guilt for it and let Nidhogg slaughter Ishgard for eternity. Why the hell should we pay for the sins of our rear end in a top hat fathers from 1000 years ago, and if we can't do peace, just murder the fucker responsible that's been killing us for millenia, justification be damned? I lost my own family because of him, Death To Nidhogg!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Saint Freak posted:

Avoid fisherman.

FISH. EVERYWHERE. EVERYDAY.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Kingtheninja posted:

All of the classes and jobs are 100% fine for any content in the game right now. Some jobs feel a bit clunky or weak during leveling, especially since Stormblood reorganized and pruned abilities; NIN, AST, and MCH don't really come online until levels 50, 52, and 54 respectively, and MCH doesn't really start clicking until the mid-60s. At level 70, there's a couple of jobs that work well but are a bit overshadowed by other jobs in the same role: Dark Knight feels a bit squishier than the other two tanks and doesn't have the damage output of Warrior, or Paladin's eight million defensive cooldowns. Black Mage is kind of in an awkward spot right now, since Summoner does a bit more damage and brings utility (Devotion, Contagion/Radiant Shield, and a res) to a party, while Red Mage does less damage but has a ton of utility with Embolden and spammable instant raises.

But yeah just do whatever you find enjoyable. Sounds like you're pretty early on, have you unlocked the three major cities and done your level 10 (I think) class quest yet? Once you do those, you can unlock most of the game's classes in the three major cities. If you want to try the different roles out, you can grab GLA or WAR for a tank class, CNJ for a healer, THM for a magic DPS, and ARC for a ranged/support DPS. ACN gets a special mention, since it's a DPS class when you start out, then splits into a healer (SCH) and DPS (SMN) job when you hit level 30. That's actually kind of handy (even if it leads to endless balance issues) because they share experience points and levels.

Rastan Beeza posted:

On a different note, one thing I really like about Estinian is that he goes "Yeah it's completely awful what Thordan did to Ratatoskr, but I'm not going to sit here and just have Elf Guilt for it and let Nidhogg slaughter Ishgard for eternity. Why the hell should we pay for the sins of our rear end in a top hat fathers from 1000 years ago, and if we can't do peace, just murder the fucker responsible that's been killing us for millenia, justification be damned? I lost my own family because of him, Death To Nidhogg!"

I always though it was a bit funny that the downfall of the Ishgardian government wasn't caused by the fact that they were responsible for the Dragonsong War, but was instead because the original Ishgardian nobles lied about who had dragon's blood. But yeah, I do actually appreciate that the plot makes it abundantly clear that while the Ishgardians did some incredibly lovely things in the past (and present), that in no way justifies Nidhogg's eternal bloodlust, to the point that even Nidhogg's own brother comes around and decides that he has to be put down.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rastan Beeza posted:

Literally nobody likes Nidhogg.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Regarding the ARR beast tribe stuff:

Limsa and the Kobolds are pretty much right on the money (the perils of having a Pirate nation.)

The Sahagin are sort of the opposite of that: they're the ones encroaching because they need new spawning grounds. Also they're better at the Pirate thing than Pirates are (what with not needing boats) so of course there's tensions there.

The Sylphs mirror the Kobolds except they lump everyone together with the Garleans of all people.

The Amaljaa also kind of mirror the Sahagin, in that they're the aggressors (attacking caravans and travelers through the arid landscape) although there's no major movements on either side, the conflict's just one of encroaching borders.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm reliably informed that dark knight is unplayable because there are way fewer uploads of drk parses in rabanastre on fflogs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Please spoil every new way ultimate coil fucks you over in this thread, tia

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

He has pretty eyes though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

good ex fight, about the right difficulty i'd say for midcore content (i don't see most non-raiders having very much fun in shinryu, as much as i like the fight personally)

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

Regarding the ARR beast tribe stuff:

The Amaljaa also kind of mirror the Sahagin, in that they're the aggressors (attacking caravans and travelers through the arid landscape) although there's no major movements on either side, the conflict's just one of encroaching borders.

I always found the Amaljaa to be one of the most interesting beast tribe, because they are in a sense, hosed. Like 90% are in thrall to Ifrit and both the BoA and everyone else hates them.

And that Hamujj Gah tells you what he and the tribe -really- hate is how dishonorable they are, to where if you're not killing other Amaljaa, you're straight up humiliating their young by splashing painful water on them or desecrating their dead by putting up (to them) macabre displays of their dead's possesions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cheetah7071 posted:

Please spoil every new way ultimate coil fucks you over in this thread, tia

all of them

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gonna leave any parts from 2.x unspoiled since it's old enough but I'll spoiler tag any HW stuff.

I don't think Nidhogg is justified in what he's doing but I can't hate the guy for hating all of the 2 legged races after what they did to dragonkind. I mean the dragons are apparently one of the first living creatures on the planet, him and his siblings are as old as time itself. There have been many ages of man, and the Allagans are one of the more recent ones.

The Allagans went to war with dragons, killed his brother and enslaved untold hundreds of thousands of his children, nieces and nephews, bound them to sleep in a machine designed to force them to live out their nightmares for eternity so that they pray for their uncle or father bahamut to return, all to use them as a giant gently caress-off battery. And that was just a little while ago in dragon years!

His brother hraesvelgr sees that humanity looks different a couple thousand years later and falls in love with a human woman, Saint Shiva. Nidhogg doesn't want to give an inch because he remembers what happened vividly still, but he goes off to sulk in the corner while humans and dragons make merry for a bit. They create a peace that holds for many years.

Inevitably a greedy human king decides he wants to be all-powerful, sneaks up and kills his sister and has a big feast. Nidhogg goes "I loving knew it!" and tears rear end down to avenge her, and gets his eyes torn out for his trouble while hraesvelgr apparently just leaves, heartbroken about the whole thing, back to Zenith.

I'm just saying, I'd be mad too.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 24, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I'd be down with Niddhogg's agenda if he just straight up exterminated the proto-ishgardians right out the gate instead of just doing some protracted torture session, to the point it just shatters his mind and his incapable of even the basest of logic or reason

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah he's absolutely nuts now and although it's understandable it sure as hell isn't justice. The ishgardians aren't the allagans and don't deserve unending suffering.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Bolow posted:

I'd be down with Niddhogg's agenda if he just straight up exterminated the proto-ishgardians right out the gate instead of just doing some protracted torture session, to the point it just shatters his mind and his incapable of even the basest of logic or reason
His mind is broken because he is reliving memory of his sister's murder all the time forever, not because of his torture of Ishgardians, I believe. And that is why he wants them to suffer forever. Hraesvelgr is semi-normal only because Shiva is containing his anger.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 24, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Where do I turn on buff display for console? Somehow it disappeared and not even restoring default settings is bringing it back (I also tried looking for it).

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Kingtheninja posted:

Where do I turn on buff display for console? Somehow it disappeared and not even restoring default settings is bringing it back (I also tried looking for it).

Hit Start, go over to System, select HUD Layout, then I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can use the touchpad (on PS4) to select the bar then tap on it to re-enable it. Alternately, steal a USB mouse from somewhere and right-click on it to turn it back on.

Also, some people are apparently hitting the enrage on Bahamut already, which is kinda impressive.

pre:
     GAME OVER
SEVENTH UMBRAL ERA
  HA HA HA HA HA

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about Nidhogg 2?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Logged out like normal and came back to see my bars all enlarged.

Don't know why the patch hosed with my ui, but it was fixed easily enough.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, Nidhogg was an rear end in a top hat. I felt a lot for Bahamut, but by the time I hit Niddy, I just wanted to punch his teeth down his throat. Being surrounded by the anguished screams of all your offspring for a long rear end time is really terrible. I was starting to root for him in T13.

Augus posted:

all of them

What the hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I always felt super weird doing the two dragon dungeons because like you're walking into their place and murdering their babies. I feel like dragons should probably be a lot less forgiving of that then they are. Those are a lot of dead dragobabies.

Pretty sure you kill some in the pre-FSOF dungeon to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, some people are apparently hitting the enrage on Bahamut already, which is kinda impressive.

If I'm not mistaken, that's his opener, not his enrage