Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

The dlcs were not free. Are you familiar with the game Persona 5? It looks to be over $100 worth of dlc on the store.

Pretty much everything except the skin packs were free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"Ultimate" editions usually have substance to them but the grand majority of P5 DLC is worthless. Personally all I got for myself was the P4 music thing and the ninja persona guy Izario or whatever his name is for nostalgia reasons. $120 for all that poo poo is insane

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Andrast posted:

Seriously just lol at Saint Freak being all like "are you familiar with the game Persona 5" while simultaneously apparently not having any idea how the DLC worked and also being completely unaware of how the industry has priced and treated GOTY editions for over a decade now.

e: Oblivion's GOTY came out for the same price the original game did a year earlier but included two full expansions each with dozens of hours of new content.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 24, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I can't wait for Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate edition, only $249.99

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Andrast posted:

I'm just going by what the store says as I said in the post.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Saint Freak posted:

I'm just going by what the store says as I said in the post.

each character can only use one costume at a time so realistically you're looking at like $12 worth of DLC if you really really really want to play dressup and the dozens of free costumes somehow didn't appeal to you and you really really want some characters to be in a Yaso High uniform but some to be in a Yaso High But With Dancing uniform

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

food court bailiff posted:

Lol my dude I'm like a hundred hours into Persona 5 and am just at the school trip now. I am very familiar with Persona 5.

The Japanese voice tracks, new difficulty, and several of the costumes were absolutely free. I'm pretty sure the healing items and skill cards were at some point as well, too. The remaining costumes come nowhere near $65 of value. Sorry about your dumb broke brain.

Pretty sure the big bucks are in the soundtrack bundle too. Looks like it has downloadable BGMs from a poo poo ton of other games, which is a thing sometimes for Japanese devs. Dynasty Warriors 8XL probably has at least a hundred bucks in soundtrack DLC.

e: Oh they bundled them with costumes? That's kinda odd, but yeah, that's why it's so expensive. BGM artists gots ta get paid, son.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 24, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I thought capitalism was only supposed to be a transitory period

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

turns out transitioning is a long and difficult process

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Err, yeah, 125 not 150. Still ludicrous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just finished the new South Park game. The combat system was great and a nice change from the simple turn based on of the first game. It had a lot more of a tactical approach to it. The humor and everything is very South Park and that was good. There are some pretty funny moments, and the endgame stuff is pretty intentionally convoluted and ridiculous because it deals with time travel so they had a lot of fun with that stuff. I also thought it was funny how the game ends pretty abruptly and without any resolution to almost everything. The Mitch Connor stuff is literally resolved by Cartman's hands smacking each other. Then the townsfolk are like "well let's go to the next town over for clean drugs" and then they all leave and then the credits roll. There's an after credits thing but it also doesn't really resolve anything. I thought that was funny. The Mitch Connor vs Mitch Connor fight is pretty funny too but it also wasn't very... end boss fight-y

That last point brings me to my big complaint about the game. The first game just kept ramping up how ridiculous things got throughout the game, and it just kept going bigger and more ridiculous. Just when you thought you did the most ridiculous thing in the game, some other super ridiculous thing would happen. In this game though, it almost never really feels that way. It very much feels like you're just going from a place in the show to another place in the show. Like weirdly enough this game felt pretty tame? I guess after the stuff they did in the first one they couldn't really hope to go even crazier but that ended up with a game that had fun gameplay and some good South Park gags but the story never got all that exciting, except for the time travel stuff near the end, and that goes by pretty quickly. The entire section with Dr Mephesto's place feels very by the numbers.

Also there's a lot of side content and collectables that feel kind of pointless. You can collect member berries and yaoi art and stuff but it just increases your XP, and once you get all 8 relic slots it kind of feels pointless to level up anymore.

The combat was fun and there's still plenty to enjoy here if you like South Park at all, but it definitely doesn't even try to come close to the first game in terms of like scale and ridiculousness.

Craig and Tweek have a good combo ultimate though

edit: the best teammates in the game is Captain Diabetes and Mosquito

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 24, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Macaluso posted:

pretty abruptly and without any resolution to almost everything. The Mitch Connor stuff is literally resolved by Cartman's hands smacking each other. Then the townsfolk are like "well let's go to the next town over for clean drugs" and then they all leave and then the credits roll. There's an after credits thing but it also doesn't really resolve anything. I thought that was funny. The Mitch Connor vs Mitch Connor fight is pretty funny too but it also wasn't very... end boss fight-y

I haven't watched the show in like 8 years but I think it's really great that they dragged back this ridiculous character in a nod to some hosed up lore. Also great how the resolution is literally how the "character" explanation is resolved in the show.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

Ometeotl posted:

Err, yeah, 125 not 150. Still ludicrous.

Actually it's been more than 150 years since the Revolutions of 1848 at this point. Still in the struggle

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

There's nothing that isn't half-assed about SH4, the best thing about it was the trailer.

That said, a decade of even worst sequels has re-contextualised it in my head a bit.

I dunno I thought Homecoming was legit a better game than 4 personally

never even played Downpour

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If you finished Cuphead and don't know what to do with yourself, WayForward just released their not-Contra-Metroid-Castlevania game The Mummy Demastered. Available on pretty much all platforms.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
speaking of WayForward, was the A Boy and His Blob remake any good?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It wasn't great but I liked it okay.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
It has a hug button

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

ufarn posted:

If you finished Cuphead and don't know what to do with yourself, WayForward just released their not-Contra-Metroid-Castlevania game The Mummy Demastered. Available on pretty much all platforms.

Been hearing it's a mixed. Wayforward does have a rep of either being a hit or a huge miss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

It's just laughably bad. ATLUS usually seems to be sorta in tune with their fanbase so I wonder how they hosed this up so hard - hopefully their ear is to the ground enough to realize all the different ways this package sucks so when it sells like eight copies total they're not left thinking the game itself is bad.

They know exactly what kind of fan base they have, aka a relatively niche one that will pay through the nose for stupid crap.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No one can say how many spinoffs Persona 5 will get.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Welcome to... well, anywhere, 47. HITMAN – GOTY Edition suits up on the Nintendo Switch, 7 November

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's not real sorry

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

Welcome to... well, anywhere, 47. HITMAN – GOTY Edition suits up on the Nintendo Switch, 7 November
*Requires internet connection

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So bought Mummy Demastered. I like it but I can see some of the faults. Infinite respawns with certain enemies can be annoying.

Especially the goddamn bats. I haven't died yet though, though that probably will change soon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Are there any good mech-themed strategy or RPG games for the PC? All I know of is the Mechwarrior and Mechcommander series.

EDIT: And Strike Suit Zero and Sunrider, of course.
if emulators count, play the Front Mission games for sure if you like mechs. For a more recent game, Bionic Dues is a pretty cool, plays a lot like Space Hulk in that its half turn based strategy game/half dungeon crawler.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Shindragon posted:

So bought Mummy Demastered. I like it but I can see some of the faults. Infinite respawns with certain enemies can be annoying.

Especially the goddamn bats. I haven't died yet though, though that probably will change soon.

Hopefully. They built an interesting mechanic around dying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

Homecoming probably played better but felt like Silent Hill fanfiction by someone with no imagination.

Downpour is utter trash apart from the soundtrack.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

homeless snail posted:

if emulators count, play the Front Mission games for sure if you like mechs. For a more recent game, Bionic Dues is a pretty cool, plays a lot like Space Hulk in that its half turn based strategy game/half dungeon crawler.

I want a real Front Mission 6, SRPG all the way. Not an action shooter, SE. Why would you think I want an action shooter?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
downpour having a straight-up morality thing always sounded really dumb

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

Origins is decent too, especially considering how troubled its development was.

Shattered Memories deserves to stand near the original trilogy in it own way, don't care what anybody else says. That game was ambitious and a few years ahead of its time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't mind Shattered Memories but it's high school level psychoanalysis is laughable and it's incredibly hard to stick the kind of end it goes for and it doesn't do it very well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

In Training posted:

They know exactly what kind of fan base they have, aka a relatively niche one that will pay through the nose for stupid crap.

I dunno, I'm basically in that niche and even I went 'haha nope' to that Ultimate poo poo.

Speaking of Ultimate editions, who's got little free time, two huge video games already preordered coming out on friday, and just bought the Witcher 3 GOTY edition because it was cheap and he doesn't know where his disk of the original is?

Let's see if THIS is the time I go 'alright I'm gonna finally fuckin finish this game' and it sticks!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I've had multiple relationships *counts on fingers while mentally listing all of nintendo's consoles*

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is this a joke

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
zelda player, console outgrower, woman respecter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Is this a joke

no its basically what the entire neogaf forum was like

multiple women who worked on video games got banned for disagreeing with the group think about something being problematic

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shindragon posted:

Seriously, gently caress the bats. And the birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Endorph posted:

no its basically what the entire neogaf forum was like

multiple women who worked on video games got banned for disagreeing with the group think about something being problematic

the 'gaf got so broken by the GG civil war they became the cartoon version of what those slime dudes thought they were becoming. Like, it's not even horseshoe theory nonsense they're like that guy who got trolled so hard by the redpill crowd he just joined them. They just got broke in the brains.

• Locked thread