Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
That Jeep build is tops and a great homage to all that is AMC, too.
Its rightly been floated around here a few times before, but let the AMC flow through you again!

One of Jeep's corner-stones is their straight sixer motor...and, if you're posting in AI, you appreciate any assortment of inline configurations. There is a lot of famous ones for sure. Forgive my bare-bones summary but the 4.0L Jeep inline six is the great-grandchild of the 1960's AMC 199ci economy lump. That 199ci unit spawned the 232ci sixer, which later evolved into the 258ci, finally arriving at the most well known 242ci 4.0L configuration.

Barney Navarro attempted to race a turbo-charged 199ci motor at Indy in the 1970s

Some Hemmings article posted:

Navarro also chose an engine that had never before run in the Indianapolis 500--the Rambler overhead-valve 199-cu.in. six-cylinder, due both to its strong bottom end and thick cylinder walls. Navarro built both a fuel-injection setup for the engine and a variety of single- and double-turbocharger setups, eventually wringing in excess of 600hp from the little six-cylinder engine.

I've read various accounts on why this ended as a failure, and they range from blaming the driver, suspension, early fuel injection and early turbocharging woes. Regardless, there are a few of these motors and bits of their components floating around, considering that Mr Navarro attempted this for more than a couple years..I don't know enough about Indy history to know how groundbreaking any of this was, but i can dig it.

Jeep 4.0L lovers should definitely appreciate his efforts

The Jeep 4.0l has Indy heritage. Cool poo poo.

boxen posted:

I want to see some kind of competition for durability and power between a Chrysler slant six, a Ford 300 I6, and the Jeep 4.0.
Build every six; Spare nothing.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I want to see some kind of competition for durability and power between a Chrysler slant six, a Ford 300 I6, and the Jeep 4.0. Is the Jeep the only one with a crossflow head?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

boxen posted:

I want to see some kind of competition for durability and power between a Chrysler slant six, a Ford 300 I6, and the Jeep 4.0. Is the Jeep the only one with a crossflow head?

The 4.0 doesn't have a crossflow head, the ports are on the same side.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's ridealong time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJix4gwE20

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of AMC cars, I've always been a fan of the Alabama State Trooper Javelin.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/rough-start-hit-the-track-with-this-nissan-hardbody-race-truck/

This was for sale on various forums a few months ago, almost talked myself into buying it several times.
Still for sale - https://forum.chumpcar.com/topic/13842-1993-nissan-d21-road-race-truck-updated-info-3-1-17/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 20, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

boxen posted:

Aussie ford barra 4l would win.
On gas
with or without factory turbo

It's based on the 250, which was based on the 200. But got crossflow, then dohc, then vvt

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All those AMC posts are awesome.

In exchange a photo from our local (a mile away from my house!) annual Motofest. This Sagaris was lairy as gently caress and sounded incredible...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Fo3 posted:

On gas

It's based on the 250, which was based on the 200. But got crossflow, then dohc, then vvt

Just to make it interesting as gently caress, and to show them 'muricans who the boss is, boost the poo poo out of it, and then drain the oil and coolant.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wally Joyner posted:

That Jeep build is tops and a great homage to all that is AMC, too.
Its rightly been floated around here a few times before, but let the AMC flow through you again!

One of Jeep's corner-stones is their straight sixer motor...and, if you're posting in AI, you appreciate any assortment of inline configurations. There is a lot of famous ones for sure. Forgive my bare-bones summary but the 4.0L Jeep inline six is the great-grandchild of the 1960's AMC 199ci economy lump. That 199ci unit spawned the 232ci sixer, which later evolved into the 258ci, finally arriving at the most well known 242ci 4.0L configuration.

Barney Navarro attempted to race a turbo-charged 199ci motor at Indy in the 1970s

I've read various accounts on why this ended as a failure, and they range from blaming the driver, suspension, early fuel injection and early turbocharging woes. Regardless, there are a few of these motors and bits of their components floating around, considering that Mr Navarro attempted this for more than a couple years..I don't know enough about Indy history to know how groundbreaking any of this was, but i can dig it.

Jeep 4.0L lovers should definitely appreciate his efforts

The Jeep 4.0l has Indy heritage. Cool poo poo.

Build every six; Spare nothing.

My grandad delivered rural mail in a Rambler American 440 with the 199-6 for at least a decade. He swore by that car, and really did deliver the mail through "rain, and sleet, and dark of night." And snow. Texas snow, but it never stopped.
My dad still has that car, and it's parts twin in the back pasture. Hmmmm....

Fo3 posted:

On gas

Yeah, it's a pity we never got that here in the states. The only DOHC we ever got besides imports was the Chevy Atlas 4.2 (I think.)

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Fo3 posted:

On gas

Yeah, I figured something else would win (easily in the power department, maybe not in the abuse-taking) if we opened it up to non-domestic-US designs. BMW M30 might be up there, then there's the RB's, 2JZ, etc. The three I mentioned are just in my head as engines that cockroaches will have in their cars after the apocalypse, and are just the basic dumb US pushrod design that's dirt-simple and runs forever. I know the slant 6 and the 300 were used in industrial applications, not sure about the Jeep.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This angle hides how ridiculous the rear fender flares are:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ferrari/308/1974/489921

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would give so many organs for a 308.

Or a 288 but I don't have that many body parts.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

I look at that and feel like the steering wheel shouldn't be moving so much.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dave Inc. posted:

I look at that and feel like the steering wheel shouldn't be moving so much.

Before I clicked I thought you must mean he's having to correct a lot, but I see what you mean after watching. No harm, it's just a long section of unsupported shaft due to the seat setback. Even 1/2" bar will flex when it's dangling out 2'.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Anyone want to buy a Saleen S7 or Spyker... Or for that matter some luxury jewelry?

http://bid.txauction.com/auction.aspx?as=49290

The cars are apparently on display at the Hilton at the Austin airport since F1 is in town this weekend.

[quote="
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/21-luxury-cars-from-pill-mill-operation-to-be-auctioned-off-in-austin"]
Jennifer Crane is the Assistant Chief for U.S. Marshals Service Asset Forfeiture Division, “There's Lamborghinis and Ferraris. There's a pretty rare Spyker, very few of those are made. The most expensive one we have right now is a Saleen S7 maybe about $275,000 to start,” She said.
[/quote]

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dr.Smasher posted:

What am I looking at? My desire to know more has intensified.

You can thank Wasabi the J for sending me down that particular AMC rabbit hole; I'd never even heard of the AMX/3 until he posted that GT Wiki link. :D

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Um, I want this guy's garage :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsr4d7aoNEo

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://twitter.com/HSouthwellFE/status/922092294093836289
Homebrew Georgian racing Lada, yes please.

E: also this
https://twitter.com/HSouthwellFE/status/922092691822993409

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

When they got to "The Parts Factory" I just went "No loving way."

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

thats a lot of projects hes got goddamn. Wtf is rosco?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xbox gives you a ui overhaul every six months so if you're into that sort of thing, that's a plus.

uh, wrong thread I guess. I wasn't drunk, promise.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 23, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Preoptopus posted:

thats a lot of projects hes got goddamn. Wtf is rosco?

Yeah that looks more like a problem than a collection.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

They're gonna put on fender flares, right?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

I was with him until the wheel/tire hoarding

Though for sheer value, ie running or not, dude spent wisely; NSX is a masterstroke these days

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

Dude has some pretty cool problems.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Have a photo dump of a bunch of vans.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nNrim

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is where I'm sad the the "Put your vans up" video has disappeared from YouTube.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

I believe the Chinese have the same word for "crisis" as they do "opportunity".

e; here you go post before me https://vimeo.com/40393795

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 24, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DiggityDoink posted:

I believe the Chinese have the same word for "crisis" as they do "opportunity".

e; here you go post before me https://vimeo.com/40393795

"YES Lisa CRISITUNITY"!!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

This is where I'm sad the the "Put your vans up" video has disappeared from YouTube.

Still on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/40393795

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Awesome, thanks!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
LA has the best variety of daily drivers. Luckily, traffic is almost always jammed enough to snap a pic, this is what I've bumped into in the last week.

Saw these two guys today, a mile apart, wonder if there was a film shoot with a 'bring your classic car' open call or something going on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ether Frenzy posted:

Saw these two guys today, a mile apart, wonder if there was a film shoot with a 'bring your classic car' open call or something going on.

That first one looks like a real Garage Queen classic, but the second one looks like it gets daily'd. Both awesome.

Also, disappointed that the guy with the 442 doesn't have a Bocephus sticker on the back of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

In California? As you noted, that's just daily drivers, bruh

There's a group of like 30 old latino guys who hang out at the strip mall near my place with their absolutely perfect '50s and '60s land-yachts every sunday

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sagebrush posted:

In California? As you noted, that's just daily drivers, bruh

There's a group of like 30 old latino guys who hang out at the strip mall near my place with their absolutely perfect '50s and '60s land-yachts every sunday

you should go get pictures.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a car to survive that long requires a garage, regardless of geography. You cook a car under the california sun for 50-ish years and it's gonna fade/oxidize badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

xzzy posted:

For a car to survive that long requires a garage, regardless of geography. You cook a car under the california sun for 50-ish years and it's gonna fade/oxidize badly.
The red on my 944 has been slowly turning a sad faded colour because I have no garage. At some point I'm going to attempt a detail and cover the fucker as it's not used that much these days. :(