Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

Future teacher and champion of the children Luann is bad at listening and will probably get this kid killed is what I'm saying.

Speaking of Luann murdered this child through neglect, the kid just came back from weeks of making GBS threads and vomiting after her last appearance where LUANN ENCOURAGED HER TO EAT FOODS SHE WAS ALLERGIC TO.

LUANN: "here kid have some ice cream"
Girl:"It'll make me sick"
LUANN: "Live a little!"
Girl: *is literally sick for weeks and isn't able to try out for the play she was excited about*

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Serious Cephalopod posted:

Speaking of Luann murdered this child through neglect, the kid just came back from weeks of making GBS threads and vomiting after her last appearance where LUANN ENCOURAGED HER TO EAT FOODS SHE WAS ALLERGIC TO.

LUANN: "here kid have some ice cream"
Girl:"It'll make me sick"
LUANN: "Live a little!"
Girl: *is literally sick for weeks and isn't able to try out for the play she was excited about*

Calling it now, Munchausan syndrome by proxy...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't see the value.

Working Daze has the dumbest continuity.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix made the front page of imgur.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I know it was just a setup for the "think positive/I'm positive I can't!" punchline, but still. Who says "think positive" when somebody tells them they can't do something without asking, "why can't you?" There's any number of reasons why a highly allergic and frequently ill child with an (over?)protective mother might not be able to do certain activities that have nothing to do with timing problems.

Future teacher and champion of the children Luann is bad at listening and will probably get this kid killed is what I'm saying.
But to be fair the sweet release of death is a blessing compared to the misery of being in THAT comic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
This from the same 'artist' who's vocally pro-Trump.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

This from the same 'artist' who's vocally pro-Trump.

Isn't that the point, that PHB is too stupid to just walk away from a troll? I'm sure Adams is one of those guys who would tell you that words can't hurt you if you don't let them, and that the people who get mad at Trump's Twitter rants are allowing themselves to be manipulated.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

:master: :iceburn:

Mandrake

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Aw, someone's trying to flex their Bill Watterson muscle and loving it up tremendously because Calvin & Hobbes was the labor of a man who was detached from society because he was just odd instead of because he was a rambling idiot with hateful opinions

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Darthemed posted:

Today's Garf

TampaTango posted:

Calling it now, Munchausan syndrome by proxy...
Can't wait to see Luann's backhanded version of support for this girl when that all comes out in the open.

F Minus

Mark Trail

He's just so happy with his sack of money. :3:

Oh good. Another character here to cross our paths for no reason and to disappear just as pointlessly. Or is this the guy from way at the beginning who was the partner to baldy here? I started to check but decided I don't care that much, however in doing this I was reminded that there are at least 3 character that we spent weeks with that apparently actually have nothing to do with this story.

Mary Worth

If this were a Bushmiller strip, she would go outside and all the clouds and bushes and stuff would look like a fat middle-aged bald dude.

The PTCHOW

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Hmmm...Doris never cared about papers blowing around her desk before..."

Apartment 3-G

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Julet Esqu posted:

I know it was just a setup for the "think positive/I'm positive I can't!" punchline, but still. Who says "think positive" when somebody tells them they can't do something without asking, "why can't you?" There's any number of reasons why a highly allergic and frequently ill child with an (over?)protective mother might not be able to do certain activities that have nothing to do with timing problems.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Let's be honest. With one week prep time total, you can't.

"No, really, I can't work with a theater company this incompetent. Auditions one week before opening? You loving clods!"

Sadly, knowing a lot of local theater companies, this isn't entirely unbelievable either.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Reminder that I'm going out of town this week, would appreciate it if someone picked up my posting until Saturday!

BC

Phoebe

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Curtis

Goddammit, Billingsly,you can't do TWO Michelle stories in a row.

Baby Blues

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Vargo posted:

Curtis

Goddammit, Billingsly,you can't do TWO Michelle stories in a row.

I've seen 90's/00's shows over reliant on stock plots and anime to know where this is going

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I've seen 90's/00's shows over reliant on stock plots and anime to know where this is going

Personality transfer?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Personality transfer?

Or brain/body swap. How far down the tropes page will you go Curtis?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did we miss some Flash Gordon strips? We went from Ming plotting an attack on DC to people storming his palace with no buildup.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Kavak posted:

Did we miss some Flash Gordon strips? We went from Ming plotting an attack on DC to people storming his palace with no buildup.

There were intervening strips that explained Flash’s crew have a bootleg space portal, and that when ming opened his to attack earth, they were able to immediately locate it and connect to it with theirs.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

RolandTower posted:

There were intervening strips that explained Flash’s crew have a bootleg space portal, and that when ming opened his to attack earth, they were able to immediately locate it and connect to it with theirs.

Were they missing from GoComics?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kavak posted:

Were they missing from GoComics?
It gets confusing with how much the plot's jumping between different locations, but here's the strips with the most relevant bits:

tl;dr Flash's portal automagically connected with Ming's once it was opened and preparing to connect to the one on Earth.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Literally the term is "Wild Goose Father"- it refers to South Korean men who send their children (or also wife) overseas in the belief that they will be happier and more productive in a foreign country. Or at least, that they'll learn to speak better English.

It's a bit of a weird trend. Motives do come to mind that aren't necessarily noble ones.

Mother From Another Country

Ha, he even has the same bald spot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
loving Baldo that dumb nerd Baldina who could possibly give a poo poo about vintage comics

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

Literally the term is "Wild Goose Father"- it refers to South Korean men who send their children (or also wife) overseas in the belief that they will be happier and more productive in a foreign country. Or at least, that they'll learn to speak better English.

It's a bit of a weird trend. Motives do come to mind that aren't necessarily noble ones.

Interesting. Does that term come with the same connotations of foolishness or pointlessness as the English term "wild goose chase"?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The etymology is disputed. Some sources say it's related to wild goose chick rearing behavior, others suggest it's more a metaphor for how the father lacks a family, can fly to them, but generally remains at a physical and emotional distance. I'm sure there's other interpretations too.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell God drat, this comic is fuckin gross

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

:hfive:
me, but with drinking

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (August 27, 1930)

Peanuts (November 2, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 28-29, 1930)

Those of you who tipped me off to the degloving videos...is there an equivalent for this scenario? Don't feel like you have to answer immediately.

Thimble Theater (May 14, 1931)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is a choking hazard.

Working Daze lacks direction.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reminds us of unfounded fears.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street is having one of those days

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

The missing panel to this strip has the news reporting about a horrific glass and cardboard office building collapse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vegetarianism is just a joke and a fad
- a little school girl

- an old redneck cartoonist

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

The missing panel to this strip has the news reporting about a horrific glass and cardboard office building collapse.
I thought they were in a giant ice tray.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Safe Havens

Can you imagine being at work and hearing your adult coworkers breathe a sigh of relief at going to a kids' party instead of a grown-up party?

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

:smith: I was 19 when my mom died, I'm 30 now. It still sucks.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

If this isn't a setup for the hot-air balloon gag again I don't know what is.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Hi and Lois catches everyone on their morning commute.

Can anyone help with the identity of the blond guy who might be wearing a yarmulke?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life