Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've heard people have a whinge about how it's making fun of nerds, but to be honest a lot of the humour feels like the sort of thing nerds stereotypically go in for: it makes a reference and acts like the reference in and of itself is the joke, which is what I tend to think of as "nerd humour".

It's nerds being nerds which is then treated as funny. It's a fishbowl or zoo exhibit that people laugh at. Contrast with other comedies with dorky/nerdy/out-of-touch characters like Scrubs of Community where it feels like the viewer is along for the ride. Even Sienfeld, where Kramer had a similar role of comedy from just existing, had the other cast reacting to him and providing eyes for us to see the show.

In BBT the audience's "viewpoint character" is the laugh track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey so I started watching Carnivale and man I think this show has the best opening titles I’ve ever seen.

Get out while you still can

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Don’t get out, get in.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I wouldn't say "suck", Seinfield clips without laugh tracks are still funny, the pauses just make it unnatural and off-putting. Not the same thing as TBBT's non-jokes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Carnivale is like a case loving study in how to milk a show for multiple seasons out of one loving plot point. Also how to write a subplot that is, consistently, more entertaining, engaging, and better loving written than the main plot.

gently caress Carnivale. It wasted an incredible setting, incredible actors, and an incredible premise on twenty loving episodes of "We need to go to Babylon." "I don't want to go to Babylon! I quit!" "Okay, I'll stay and not quit, where are we going?"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm finally getting around to Legion: I really liked the first episode but the timeline confused the hell out of me. Should I watch it again before moving on or do things get explained in later episodes?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timeline as to when it's set?

If so, it's set in the same time period as Archer.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

Timeline as to when it's set?

If so, it's set in the same time period as Archer.

No like the order of events in the first episode, starting from when Syd was released. I watched it super late last night so maybe I was just tired and didn't track what happened well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I'm stunned that it's that high.

Are you stunned that it's that high, or just stunned that you're that wrong? There's nothing wrong with live studio audience tracks on sitcoms. The problem is that some of the sitcoms that use them just aren't very good. If something was as well written as Modern Family and it was a multi-cam with a studio audience nobody would care because the show would be good. Jerrod Carmichael had a very good sitcom on NBC that was cancelled due to low viewership, but it was a great show and it was also multi-cam.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

The problem is that some of the sitcoms that use them just aren't very good. If something was as well written as Modern Family and it was a multi-cam with a studio audience nobody would care because the show would be good.

......huh?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GobiasIndustries posted:

No like the order of events in the first episode, starting from when Syd was released. I watched it super late last night so maybe I was just tired and didn't track what happened well.

The first episode is intentionally trippy and confusing with that sort of thing. You'll gradually learn a lot of the answers to your questions but the whole season is basically a journey of David learning what's real and not and where things fit. So you not understanding it in the first episode is basically the intended effect.

You could rewatch and you might pick up stuff but you're probably more likely to if you rewatch it after seeing some more episodes and getting more pieces to the puzzle. But David (and the viewers) don't really start to piece it all together until the end of the season. That's the core of the show.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

STAC Goat posted:

The first episode is intentionally trippy and confusing with that sort of thing. You'll gradually learn a lot of the answers to your questions but the whole season is basically a journey of David learning what's real and not and where things fit. So you not understanding it in the first episode is basically the intended effect.

You could rewatch and you might pick up stuff but you're probably more likely to if you rewatch it after seeing some more episodes and getting more pieces to the puzzle. But David (and the viewers) don't really start to piece it all together until the end of the season. That's the core of the show.

Cool thanks. That's kinda what I figured but didn't want to move on if I missed something due to sleepiness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Carnivale is like a case loving study in how to milk a show for multiple seasons out of one loving plot point. Also how to write a subplot that is, consistently, more entertaining, engaging, and better loving written than the main plot.

gently caress Carnivale. It wasted an incredible setting, incredible actors, and an incredible premise on twenty loving episodes of "We need to go to Babylon." "I don't want to go to Babylon! I quit!" "Okay, I'll stay and not quit, where are we going?"

While to an extent you're right, I think you're wildly overexaggerating the extent that anyone was "wasted". Lots of great stuff goes on in the show, and not just Brother Justin, but in the titular carnival itself. It's pretty good! The second (of its two, not "multiple") seasons is a lot less meandering. There's not really 20 episodes of Babylon chasing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm four episodes in and I like it!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Cool thanks. That's kinda what I figured but didn't want to move on if I missed something due to sleepiness.

Like, its entirely possible you missed something. But at the very least I can assure you I had the exact same "did I miss something?" feeling when I finished the pilot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s one timeline bit left unexplained in episode 1 that they tell you in episode 2, but otherwise I had it all down after my second watch.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah, Modern Family is not a well-written show. Especially now. People did love the gently caress out of the Carmichael show so his point still stands.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s one timeline bit left unexplained in episode 1 that they tell you in episode 2, but otherwise I had it all down after my second watch.

Well its also entirely possible I missed something in the first episode, but I think it all kind of works itself out as the season goes on.

Like, Sydney's power wasn't that confusing to me but I can see why it was to some people and they do eventually fully explain it in the show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm finally getting around to Legion: I really liked the first episode but the timeline confused the hell out of me. Should I watch it again before moving on or do things get explained in later episodes?

I managed about 6 or 7 episodes before losing interest and dropping it. It was good up until that point and it entertained me, but nothing about it made me care at all about how it was going to end or what the "answer" to it all was going to be. I didn't feel as though finishing it was going to provide me with anything more than what I'd already gleaned out of it and so I didn't bother and I don't feel like I've missed out on anything.

In short: Legion is worth watching until it isn't. After that, stop, and you won't miss much.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

With all due respect how do you know if you miss much by not finishing it if you didn't finish it?

Not that I disagree with your basic principle of "if you don't like it, stop watching." A lot more TVIV threads would be readable if that was a common accepted idea. I think Legion was worth it and very good, but I would never really try and convince someone who watched 70% of the season that if they didn't like it they somehow would start in the final run. But I also don't think that person really has a say on whether that last part is worth watching or not.

For my part I think the end of Legion gives some pretty satisfying answers and the end run of episodes has some really great stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

RIP Isaac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ds4DZa4Bo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Are you stunned that it's that high, or just stunned that you're that wrong? There's nothing wrong with live studio audience tracks on sitcoms. The problem is that some of the sitcoms that use them just aren't very good. If something was as well written as Modern Family and it was a multi-cam with a studio audience nobody would care because the show would be good. Jerrod Carmichael had a very good sitcom on NBC that was cancelled due to low viewership, but it was a great show and it was also multi-cam.

That show was great but the network did it no favors at all with how they scheduled it. And also literally every single person under 50 recoils in abject hatred the second they hear a laugh track according to TVIV couch thread posters so no wonder it was canceled!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That 70's Show was improved so much by having a laugh track/audience. It made the whole show more raw and joyous. You can see the actors having a ton of fun with it and the whole spirit of the show was elevated as a result.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

How bout this, I hate loving multicams and I'm glad they're dying off.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 25, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But if Netflix is making them they really aren't dying off, are they?

I for one am not bothered by TV shows I don't like because I don't watch them and watch some of the million other TV shows that are on. It seems like nowadays when there are so many shows and more coming that the people who get unhappy because something they dislike is popular are just going to be forever tortured because there's just so much out there for them to dislike and others to like.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I couldn't make it to episode 2 of both The Ranch and Disjointed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

But if Netflix is making them they really aren't dying off, are they?

I for one am not bothered by TV shows I don't like because I don't watch them and watch some of the million other TV shows that are on. It seems like nowadays when there are so many shows and more coming that the people who get unhappy because something they dislike is popular are just going to be forever tortured because there's just so much out there for them to dislike and others to like.

Oh man you should watch some of Disjointed it's so bad, you'll wish it ill.

Broadcast certainly isn't betting on them, they axed relatively successful ones like Last Man Standing this year.

Also, perhaps glad they're dying off is a bit strong, I'm glad that networks are focused on making single cams rather than multicams, because I believe single cams are far better shows.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 25, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I loved the movie The Mist, but holy hell this show seems pretty bad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Oh man you should watch some of Disjointed it's so bad, you'll wish it ill.

Its so bad that I legitimately feel bad for Kathy Bates

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't had much luck with Netflix sitcoms in general. Kimmy Schmidt didn't hook me after a couple of episodes, Arrested Development was not great, Love seemed uunwatchable, I made it through Friends From College but probably won't be back, Ranch and BoJack don't appeal to me.

GLOW was good but I think it was much more drama. I do intend to give Master of None a look but I'm not a big fan of Ansari. I guess Santa Clarita Diet is the one comedy I really enjoyed but it felt like a very abrupt ending and never really felt "sitcomy" to me.

Matt Zerella posted:

I loved the movie The Mist, but holy hell this show seems pretty bad.

Its a complete and total mess and I regret the time I wasted finishing it out waiting for it to make some kind of sense or come together in some kind of way.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 25, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Laugh tracks and live studio audiences are terrible but you can't edit them out because then you get a lot of dead silence and mugging for no one in particular. I understand that it probably makes things easier for the performers to have a live audience to play off of and a lot of my favorite shows have live studio audiences but if I have a say I'll always prefer for a show not to have constant pauses so I can hear strangers hoot and holler over a joke to let me know it was indeed funny. They're thankfully finally falling out of style (although some awful shows still use them), and I'll never understand why they became the standard for sitcoms in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's a relic of the live studio audience era which itself is a relic of the live TV era.

e: lol

"While witnessing an early post-production editing session, comedian Milton Berle once pointed out a particular joke and said, "as long as we're here doing this, that joke didn't get the response we wanted". After Douglass inserted a hearty laugh following the failed joke, Berle reportedly commented, "See? I told you it was funny""

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 25, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Some of my favourite moments in sitcoms are when the actors start to crack up on stage. Jennifer Aniston and Debra Messing were A+ for this, especially that one episode of Will & Grace they aired actually live.

In general I'm not a fan of a studio audience, but the dynamic of a staged show and actual people watching it sometimes makes gold happen. It can be fun when there are regulars with weird laughs who keep popping up, too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think it really matters to me. The format of a show only really affects me for as long as I'm not invested. If I get into it I'll quickly adjust and it will blend in. If I don't enjoy the show then all that stuff will stand out.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Looten Plunder posted:

That 70's Show was improved so much by having a laugh track/audience. It made the whole show more raw and joyous. You can see the actors having a ton of fun with it and the whole spirit of the show was elevated as a result.

Ahhhhhh poo poo. I completely agree with this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

70s Show was also aces for actors cracking up/having a good time, yeah.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Some of my favourite moments in sitcoms are when the actors start to crack up on stage. Jennifer Aniston and Debra Messing were A+ for this, especially that one episode of Will & Grace they aired actually live.

In general I'm not a fan of a studio audience, but the dynamic of a staged show and actual people watching it sometimes makes gold happen. It can be fun when there are regulars with weird laughs who keep popping up, too.

The Drew Carey show had a ton of fun with their audience too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Amy Sedaris' new show is pretty fun so far. She's delightful as ever.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

esperterra posted:

I think the Carol Burnett Show is more known for the skit mishaps than for anything that went right. Well, outside of The Family skits, and those have some choice outtakes, such as Tim Conway's elephant story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally checked out White Gold on Netflix and it is extremely my poo poo. Irvine Welsh style British show about window salesmen in the 80s. Hilarious.

• Locked thread