Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
I hope you drilled the barrel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Broken Record Talk posted:

I hope you drilled the barrel!

I actually havent yet but it no longer fires so meh

forgot a reference pic:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
:siren: I’ve been using Secret Weapon miniature weathering pigments for some time and I just stumbled upon where they get their pigments from by total accident. The price is about the same, but you get 5-10 times more pigment for the cost. Also better selection. Here’s the site:
http://www.earthpigments.com

How I know? SWM was lazy and used the exact same images. Check out the Yellow Earth:

SWM:
http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=140

EarthPigments.com:
http://www.earthpigments.com/light-sienna-pigment/

You can match some of the other pigments too. I’m going to buy some to test on my table to confirm it's the same color. Will post results.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 25, 2017

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Moola posted:

not strictly a miniature but I don't think there's a thread for cosplay stuff?

got back into painting recently and had a go at turning a toy gun into Snake's M1911 from snake eater

before:

after:

pretty fun painting something bigger than a toy soldier for a change. Would highly recommend if you're getting back into painting and want something that isn't too fiddly to start with.

Why does a toy replica of a real gun exist :smfh:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

This is more of a modeling question but I can't think of where else to post it. I am trying to put together some cheap siege engines from scrap. There are tons of resources online about building everything from furniture to dungeons out of foam core and dollar store beads but I can find very little about hacking together a cannon or a catapult or something like that. In particular I'm trying to build something that would go well with some Reaper bones goblins and some Reaper bones dwarves, so anything on the spectrum from finely metal worked cannons to primeval catapults is cool.

So far I plan to throw some buttons down for wheels and slap a severed gnoll head on a dowel to make a cannon, and maybe cut up a bunch of foam logs and form them into a catapult, but if anyone has a guide they know of or some recommendations for materials I'd love to hear it.

Scratch building guns and cannons is really easy to do with poly-styrene tubes. You can get them in packages of different sizes that fit inside each other, cut them to different lengths to make barrels, chambers breaches etc.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booyah- posted:

I finished the primaris marines from the First Strike box set last night. Hadn't painted in over a year but really happy with how they turned out, especially the Reivers. Once I finish the death guard from the box some Skiitari will be next which I'm super excited for.

These are really nice. Now, put squad markings on their knee pads :colbert:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I'm really much more of a tabletop-standard type guy than a lot of painters in this thread, but talk of clear bases and bigmarine helmet swaps in the unspiration thread made me think of sharing this guy of mine I finished up the other day:

I like how the bigness of the banner (plus the bigmarine proportions) makes his ridiculously ostentatious headgear seem almost reasonable - I had the head kicking around in my bits box for a while and this was the first model I thought it might look halfway non-stupid on.

(This is also, I should probably mention, my own take on the Scythes of the Emprah scheme since the official one is objectively terrible.)

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 25, 2017

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

goodness posted:

So that children don’t shoot each other.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

goodness posted:

yeah ikr

Very useful for me because I wanted that exact model gun for cosplay, but it's pretty scary how accurate it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0lHxTlBzU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Moola posted:

yeah ikr

Very useful for me because I wanted that exact model gun for cosplay, but it's pretty scary how accurate it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi0lHxTlBzU

Please don’t get shot by the firearms squad Moola. I just watched Babylon and that’s the only way I can see your story ending. :ohdear:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm really much more of a tabletop-standard type guy than a lot of painters in this thread, but talk of clear bases and bigmarine helmet swaps in the unspiration thread made me think of sharing this guy of mine I finished up the other day:

I like how the bigness of the banner (plus the bigmarine proportions) makes his ridiculously ostentatious headgear seem almost reasonable - I had the head kicking around in my bits box for a while and this was the first model I thought it might look halfway non-stupid on.

(This is also, I should probably mention, my own take on the Scythes of the Emprah scheme since the official one is objectively terrible.)

This looks fantastic dude, probably much better than a tabletop standard. Post more of your dudes!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ineptmule posted:

Please don’t get shot by the firearms squad Moola. I just watched Babylon and that’s the only way I can see your story ending. :ohdear:

*teleports*

they'll have to catch me first >:)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SRM posted:

I'd honestly look into children's toys for that sort of thing.

How to Train Your Dragon had a bunch of miniatures scale siege engines, definitely worry looking for those.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, dude, I don't know what you're worried about. I'd be thrilled to be able to paint yellow on black like that.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Well, shucks. Thanks, all. Here's some more dudes - forgive the phone photos and occasional terrible mold line.

Hey, one of those Reivers even has his original helmet!

The yellow's pretty simple, actually. A thin coat each of Averland Sunset, VMC Yellow Ochre and VGC Gold Yellow, pin shading with VMC Smoke, then a highlight pass each with a 50/50 mix of Gold Yellow and VMC Lemon Yellow and straight Lemon Yellow. Sits pretty well on black and the only real problem is friggin' Averland Sunset drying right on the brush.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Giant Ethicist posted:

Well, shucks. Thanks, all.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about being a "Tabletop standard guy" or whatever, your mans look excellent.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Those guys are majority covered in three colours that give people issues and you've nailed them completely.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

And the highlights are super neat. You should be proud of these toy soldiers!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Airbrush people, what the hell went wrong here?

It's Vallejo Surface primer on Hawk Wargames plastic. i've never experienced this before.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Frobbe posted:

It's Vallejo Surface primer on Hawk Wargames plastic. i've never experienced this before.

Did you accidentally get some nurgle in your airbrush?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Please post pics of painted pupper.

Also this is my favorite post in this entire thread.

Pupdate: Turns out, he didn't get painted - I was freaking out over an illusion. I had purchased some card protectors for some old Magic cards I was going to sell, and they happened to be in the same bag as the Nuln Oil jars. He pulled the bag down and opened the protectors, and the puppy cam showed the reflective surfaces of the protectors as black for some reason. Everyone I work with swore up and down it looked like a liquid stain, but when I got home, it was just a plastic pile.

He did eat a jar of Nuln Oil, but he conveniently did it through the bag - all spillage was contained by the bag, and I was able to toss it with no problem. The three additional jars of Nuln Oil were untouched on the floor.

I got super lucky, but the Internet was denied of a dog covered in Nuln Oil. All, in all, I'd say it was...

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Oh, I'm proud of 'em - I'm just from Ohio, where we are genetically disinclined to say nice things about ourselves, heh.

I've probably got a bit of a complex, too, on account of being immersed in a meta, for the past 15+ years, of insanely talented painters. I'm in Japan, where wargaming is a niche of a niche that tends to draw middle-aged grognards with loads of hobby experience like myself on the expat side, and obsessively perfectionist modelers and painters on the Japanese side.

(To go all Midwestern again, the highlights on the black are totally cheating too - I do a super heavy gray / white drybrush and then just paint over everything but the edge in black again. Brush control is a lot easier that way for me.)

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

Just eyeballing the picture, that might be an issue with the model surface. It's possible some mold release got left on it, or didn't wash off. Maybe try stripping and re-priming it after another scrub with dish soap? (If that doesn't work, leave it and call it Extreme Battle Damage!)

Giant Ethicist, I don't think you have anything to worry about painting-wise. Your dudes seem like a step in evolution between GW's 2nd edition and modern-grimdark studio styles, mildly cartoony but really bright and clean. Nice work!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Frobbe posted:

Did you thin it with anything? But yeah, it looks like it's something on the plastic causing it to bead like that. Give it a scrub and try painting it on to see if it does it again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moola posted:

got back into painting recently and had a go at turning a toy gun into Snake's M1911 from snake eater

before:

after:

pretty fun painting something bigger than a toy soldier for a change. Would highly recommend if you're getting back into painting and want something that isn't too fiddly to start with.

:lol: you're going to get shot to death by police.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Work continues on Garreks Reavers. Decided to do a bone trim on the armor panels, and went with a dark brown basing scheme, and the basing is done.

Still tons left to do. Highlight the bone trim with Ushabti Bone, highlight the flesh with Kislev Flesh, wash the red armor panels with Nuln Oil, then highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet. Block out all the metal with Leadbelcher, do the trim on the weapons with warplock bronze and Runelord Brass, then pick out some teal bits.

Also decided to add a tuft to Blooded Saek just to give it a little more flavor.

I added some blood to the axe blade as well.

I don't want to overpower it or make it too bloody, but it looks okay i think.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: you're going to get shot to death by police.

I didn't know Moola was black

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Corrode posted:

I didn't know Moola was black

Just his skull is

Broken Record Talk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 25, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Broken Record Talk posted:

Juat his skull is

And his heart

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zuul the Cat posted:

Work continues on Garreks Reavers. Decided to do a bone trim on the armor panels, and went with a dark brown basing scheme, and the basing is done.

Still tons left to do. Highlight the bone trim with Ushabti Bone, highlight the flesh with Kislev Flesh, wash the red armor panels with Nuln Oil, then highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet. Block out all the metal with Leadbelcher, do the trim on the weapons with warplock bronze and Runelord Brass, then pick out some teal bits.

Also decided to add a tuft to Blooded Saek just to give it a little more flavor.

I added some blood to the axe blade as well.

I don't want to overpower it or make it too bloody, but it looks okay i think.

Those are looking awesome. What colors did you use for the cracked earth on the bases? I love how you can make out all the cool details but it doesn't distract from the models.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Cat Face Joe posted:

Did you thin it with anything? But yeah, it looks like it's something on the plastic causing it to bead like that. Give it a scrub and try painting it on to see if it does it again.

I suspect something must've coated the plastic, because it stuck fine to models primed using regular spray primer. I've never had this issue with hawk plastics before, must be a bad batch! injection molded plastic doesn't even use mold release!

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Those are looking awesome. What colors did you use for the cracked earth on the bases? I love how you can make out all the cool details but it doesn't distract from the models.

Thanks! That's Dryad Bark base, Agrax Earthsade wash, then a drybrush of Steel Legion Drab, and a very light drybrush of Ushabti Bone.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Frobbe posted:

I suspect something must've coated the plastic, because it stuck fine to models primed using regular spray primer. I've never had this issue with hawk plastics before, must be a bad batch! injection molded plastic doesn't even use mold release!

Yeah, that would be my guess too. Looks like the paint hit something hydrophobic or whatever, and then coagulated. Do you use water to thin?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Have you aerosolised any cooking oil recently?

Also, plastic models can end up with residue on them from manufacturing. Not specifically for mould release reasons but it does happen. I wash all plastic stuff.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Giant Ethicist posted:

(To go all Midwestern again, the highlights on the black are totally cheating too - I do a super heavy gray / white drybrush and then just paint over everything but the edge in black again. Brush control is a lot easier that way for me.)
That's genius:monocle:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Frobbe posted:

Improperly mixed or cured plastic can leak oils. If nothing will stick bring it up with Hawk. They may be aware of a bad batch.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Can you put Tamiya masking tape over paint as soon as it's dry to the touch, or should I wait longer? I'm feeling behind on my Oath.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Moola posted:

before:

after:

Now buy a real colt 1911 and paint it orange, blue and yellow.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Can you put Tamiya masking tape over paint as soon as it's dry to the touch, or should I wait longer? I'm feeling behind on my Oath.

Ideally I'd varnish before masking, but I'd definitely wait at least an hour or two for it to dry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

zokie posted:

That's genius:monocle:

As a bonus, it makes the kind of weathering / scratched-paint job like I did on this Ironclad dead easy.

Just leave big irregular blotchy bits instead of fine lines of gray on the edges, and then hit the gray areas irregularly with metal.