Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol in-universe technobabble

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That was fun. Also Picard hasn't grown an inch since he was twelve apparently.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I like how the federation is all about not judging species by their looks and understanding different cultures and being accepting, but a fully adult federation captain that looks like a 13 year old is enough for the doctor to demand he resign because no one would take him seriously simply based on his looks.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I like how the federation is all about not judging species by their looks and understanding different cultures and being accepting, but a fully adult federation captain that looks like a 13 year old is enough for the doctor to demand he resign because no one would take him seriously simply based on his looks.

Remember in the 23rd century some lady bodysnatched the captain, and even when the crew figured it out all the thief had to say was "Are you really going to take orders from that just because she has the captain's mind, personality, experience, memories, ability, and soul? Uh your captain also has a vagina now" and the crew is like "oh yeah good point what were we thinking".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

WampaLord posted:

Imagine having to go through high school again, but with the mind of a mature adult.

It would be hell on earth.

Stargate SG-1 did that. There was a 14-year old Jack O'Neil duplicate for some reason. After helping save the day, the duplicate gets witness-protected into going back to high school at the end of the episode.

Yes, it is implied that he'll be ruling that campus.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It iust dawned on me that O'Brien has seen:
His wife become a child
His child become a woman
His offspring populate a planet and then unexist
His cellmate die needlessly
Etc etc

O'Brien must suffer

He watched himself die and then stepped into his duplicate's life and he told everyone what happened but no one cared.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

Also the new episode is out. It's the first of a two parter, which will be the end of their series. Looks like CBS is letting them finish out.

The current run of Continues was grandfathered in under the new guidelines, because they were deep into production when the rules were announced (and, because, unlike Axanar, they didn't behave like a bunch of raging assholes). Last I heard they're considering new projects that will comply with the guidelines.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I started watching TNG for the first time this spring, and I just finished DS9 for the first time now. Wow.

Are the DS9 Relaunch books any good? I don't normally read licensed fiction, but I might consider it for more DS9.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

GANDHITRON posted:

I started watching TNG for the first time this spring, and I just finished DS9 for the first time now. Wow.

Are the DS9 Relaunch books any good? I don't normally read licensed fiction, but I might consider it for more DS9.

The run of novels from "Avatar" to "Unity" is pretty good, and is a fairly satisfying place to stop. After that, there was a change of editorial staff or something, and it's very obvious nobody knew where anything was going anymore, and then the whole setting abruptly jumps ahead half a decade to catch up to where the TNG novels were...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Speaking of Trek books, I saw that they've gone back and done more Vanguard stuff after the main series was concluded. Any of it as good as the first 5 novels were (or however many there were originally... I think it was like 5-7?)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Were there any good TNG/DS9 era fan films? The only ones I’ve ever seen all seem to be filmed in front of greenscreened sets which looks godawful and cheap.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Doctor posted:

Were there any good TNG/DS9 era fan films? The only ones I’ve ever seen all seem to be filmed in front of greenscreened sets which looks godawful and cheap.

Misread this as "good fan films produced during the TNG/DS9 era" at first and chuckled/grimaced at what horrors must have been wrought (and lost to the sands of time) with a huge VHS camcorder and a borrowed Video Toaster.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Gammatron 64 posted:

I never had any dreams where Star Trek is real because unfortunately I don't really have very fantastical dreams. However one time I dreamt I met Avery Brooks shopping in a general store in some touristy place.

I remember 2 Star Trek dreams I had as a kid. In one I met Jonathan Frakes and we hung out in Hollywood. He was a cool dude. In the other, I found a type 2 hand phaser in our junk drawer and I went around blowing poo poo up with it. That one was rad as gently caress. I remember going to bed hoping I would have that one again.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Lordshmee posted:

In the other, I found a type 2 hand phaser in our junk drawer and I went around blowing poo poo up with it. That one was rad as gently caress. I remember going to bed hoping I would have that one again.

If that happened to me, I would spend the rest of the dream looking for the right batteries, and then I would wake up. :sigh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The_Doctor posted:

I used to be pretty into watching lovely fanfilms as a teenager (back when VOY was still in production) and I don't remember any that were actively good. The only one I remember was Star Trek: Hidden Frontier, which was goddamn awful jesus christ.

It even had a cameo from that one teenage Übernerd from Trekkies, Gabriel Koerner.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Lots but they weren't about star trek.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

VitalSigns posted:

He watched himself die and then stepped into his duplicate's life and he told everyone what happened but no one cared.

No that's Harry Kim

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Speaking of Trek books, I saw that they've gone back and done more Vanguard stuff after the main series was concluded. Any of it as good as the first 5 novels were (or however many there were originally... I think it was like 5-7?)
They're not bad. They follow the USS Sagittarius and the USS Endeavour mostly. Because of the way the Vanguard series ended, a lot of the 'main cast' members are not around. They did four 'Seekers' books involving those two ships exploring the area of space where Vanguard was.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're not bad. They follow the USS Sagittarius and the USS Endeavour mostly. Because of the way the Vanguard series ended, a lot of the 'main cast' members are not around. They did four 'Seekers' books involving those two ships exploring the area of space where Vanguard was.

Yeah, I assumed they didn't bring back a bunch of people, which is fine. I still really liked the Vanguard stuff, and the ending felt really good (though was that the same Scottish planet as Crusher's grandma was from?).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

It even had a cameo from that one teenage Übernerd from Trekkies, Gabriel Koerner.

He grew up to be one hell of an accomplished visual effects artist. He worked on Enterprise, and Galactica, and now he's on The Orville.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462933/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Koerner built the CGI model of the Enterprise-D used in the closing montage of These Are the Voyages.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Powered Descent posted:

He grew up to be one hell of an accomplished visual effects artist. He worked on Enterprise, and Galactica, and now he's on The Orville.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0462933/

He's apparently Emmy-nominated for work he did on some various superhero movies too.

No disrespect meant to the guy at all, dude lives his dreams in ways most of us can only wish.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

He's apparently Emmy-nominated for work he did on some various superhero movies too.

No disrespect meant to the guy at all, dude lives his dreams in ways most of us can only wish.

My memory is spotty but I think like a decade ago he was posting on the deepest pits of hellTrekBBS about what an honor it was when the Enterprise staff asked if they could use his D model, because he had fixed some details that always bugged him about the CG Galaxy model used in DS9. Good for him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Yeah, I assumed they didn't bring back a bunch of people, which is fine. I still really liked the Vanguard stuff, and the ending felt really good (though was that the same Scottish planet as Crusher's grandma was from?).
I had to look it up, but yes, that is Caldos II

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I'm late to the "Rascals" party, but I had a thought last night: didn't they say in Season 2 that Picard had an artificial heart? With the way they explained the kidification field, shouldn't kid-Picard's heart has degenerated into base components and killed him instantly?

Eh, probably putting too much thought into things.

Jeb, I don't know how you did it, but you managed to take the perfect screenshot. I'm dead serious; I can't decide whether I want this picture printed out and framed or to be rendered in the style of Edvard Munch and entitled "The Depression."

CharlieWhiskey posted:

It iust dawned on me that O'Brien has seen:
His wife become a child
His child become a woman
His offspring populate a planet and then unexist
His cellmate die needlessly
Etc etc

O'Brien must suffer
He's also seen his unborn son be removed from his wife's body and implanted in his boss's, and had a bunch of his subordinates murdered by his best friend's friend while under the influence of experimental combat drugs. And to top it all off, all this crazy bullshit started dropping on him the day he turned 40. Before that, his life was normal. He did some soldiering, worked some grunt tech jobs, nothing out of the ordinary, then BOOM.

VitalSigns posted:

He's seen himself die twice, actually. The first time it was a programmed assassin clone of himself, and the second time was during that temporal switcheroo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Marshal Radisic posted:

He's seen himself die twice, actually. The first time it was a programmed assassin clone of himself, and the second time was during that temporal switcheroo.

At least he could tell himself that the clone wasn't really him. Not only was Quantum O'Brien really him, it was the him that "belonged" in the timeline he has to live in now.

O'Brien has the best life.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
O'Brien's life is like a Vonnegut novel at this point.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

"You know what, gently caress it. If/when Keiko gets better I'm getting a transfer out of this roaming madhouse. Heard they are turning a former Cardassian station orbiting Bajor into a Federation outpost. That sounds like a nice and quiet place to spend the rest of my career..."

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 25, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DS9 doesn't work so much as sequel fodder because few of the characters will go on to have "normal" Starfleet careers. Maybe Ezri and Bashir and Nog will continue to serve on Starfleet ships or installations. Sisko is a prophet , O'Brien is moving to San Francisco to begin a career as an engineering professor and raise two kids, Worf has a job on Qronos working for his best friend, Jake is a novelist/poet, Kira is running DS9, Odo is on his home planet likely never to return, and Quark is still a bartender

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

DS9 doesn't work so much as sequel fodder because few of the characters will go on to have "normal" Starfleet careers. Maybe Ezri and Bashir and Nog will continue to serve on Starfleet ships or installations. Sisko is a prophet , O'Brien is moving to San Francisco to begin a career as an engineering professor and raise two kids, Worf has a job on Qronos working for his best friend, Jake is a novelist/poet, Kira is running DS9, Odo is on his home planet likely never to return, and Quark is still a bartender

Uh, Rom as Grand Nagus. 30-minute four-camera sitcom.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Does anyone know what the Dominion logo is supposed to be? Some kind of swooping from a star upwards?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dominion

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If you want to see what happens after TNG\DS9\VOY you could always try playing Star Trek Online. It's not very, well... good, but it's fun enough if you treat it like a single player game and just go through the story missions. It's also free... ish.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
A future of 'endless war' isn't super appealing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

mossyfisk posted:

A future of 'endless war' isn't super appealing.

Yeah that's now how I would do it but meh, its a game.

I wonder what stuff would be like 100 years after TNG. Like what kind of crazy tech would they have?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I feel like the next big post-TNG time frame has to be intergalactic. Whip up a slipstream drive for a one-way trip to Andromeda and spread Federation ideals in a whole new setting. We know there's eventually timefleet, but that's dull as gently caress.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

If you want to see what happens after TNG\DS9\VOY you could always try playing Star Trek Online. It's not very, well... good, but it's fun enough if you treat it like a single player game and just go through the story missions. It's also free... ish.

so is a kick in the head

at least it used to be!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I feel like the next big post-TNG time frame has to be intergalactic. Whip up a slipstream drive for a one-way trip to Andromeda

the death of franchises

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I feel like the next big post-TNG time frame has to be intergalactic. Whip up a slipstream drive for a one-way trip to Andromeda and spread Federation ideals in a whole new setting. We know there's eventually timefleet, but that's dull as gently caress.

The poor Magellanic Clouds never get any love. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Arglebargle III posted:

the death of franchises

We're talking about a franchise which has stated that our entire galaxy is 70 years across at top speed. The setting probably should expand elsewhere to keep that optimistic flavour of Trek. I'm not talking SGU or Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda where everything falls apart and life sucks.