Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Still nowhere near the 2 million per episode some GoT cast are getting. And Walking Dead is a way bigger ratings and ad buy powerhouse.

It's actually kind of obscene that it took Lincoln this long to renegotiate his contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Judith has NO CHILL

https://gfycat.com/RemarkableJollyIrukandjijellyfish

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

John F Bennett posted:

Without windows, it will get a bit chilly during winter. It's part of the siege.

This can be a factor and it was a factor in a few early-mordern wars, the second it dips below 40 in Saviortown the people inside are going to start dropping like flies, and there's very little they can do to stop it unless they know some glassblowers, can get the appropriate materials, and then replace the thousand or so windows in only a few days.

I would not bet on the show understanding this and using it as a plot point however, because that would put a hole in Negan's plot armor before his due time

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

You guys know there's like abandoned houses every 10 feet and all of them can be broken down for building supplies. You don't need windows if you have some plywood.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I saw Norman Reedus at a horror con a year or two before WD. He was shoved in a hallway at a table with the 3 or 4 Boondock Saints fans in line. I regret not catching him at that time but it's cool that he's made it big.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Huge drop off in premiere ratings:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/walking-dead-season-8-premiere-ratings-1202596402/

- Season 5 (8.7, 17.29 million)
- Season 7 (8.4, 17.03 million)
- Season 4 (8.2, 16.11 million)
- Season 6 (7.4, 14.63 million)
- Season 3 (5.8, 10.86 million)
- Season 8 (5.0, 11.4 million)
- Season 2 (3.8, 7.26 million)
- Season 1 (2.7, 5.35 million)

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
yeah i didnt watch it so

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I know a few people that have dropped off watching around S7 which I find weird since most people stuck around for the godawful farm arc. Apparently it's better binging through it but I'm not going to relive that bull.

The ratings are surprising to me since that they are promoting the poo poo out of in the UK with the ALL OUT WAR posters. Folks are just tuning out and it's definitely Negan

Thanks to the folks in this thread like Blazing Ownager that recommended watching S3 of Fear. Just got through all of it and drat.. I daresay it's S1 TWD quality.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Might have something to do with killing the only real like able character on the show in Glenn. Doesn't seem well received if thats when things nosedived.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Seems like it had the same effect as the comic then.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I know a few people that have dropped off watching around S7 which I find weird since most people stuck around for the godawful farm arc. Apparently it's better binging through it but I'm not going to relive that bull.

The ratings are surprising to me since that they are promoting the poo poo out of in the UK with the ALL OUT WAR posters. Folks are just tuning out and it's definitely Negan

Thanks to the folks in this thread like Blazing Ownager that recommended watching S3 of Fear. Just got through all of it and drat.. I daresay it's S1 TWD quality.

Yeah I watched the farm season on a Netflix binge and it didn't strike me as out of the ordinary, actually liked it. S7 was probably it for me, it was just phenomenally stupid, and for a show that relies so heavily on firefights and zombie combat they haven't managed a truly suspenseful or even coherent action sequence since Noah got the revolving door. I'm in no hurry to stream the premiere, even considering watching FTWD S3 against my better judgement instead given what I've read here.

Fortunately Z Nation continues to be a good entertaining show made by talented people.

e; I mean trailers are low-hanging fruit, right? String together the best of what's to come, add some intriguing shots, hell some of the worst movies have roped me in with a good trailer and I walked out saying "All the good scenes were in the trailer". Even the Season 8 TRAILER is a wet fart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l82kiUvnKM

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 25, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Might have something to do with killing the only real like able character on the show in Glenn. Doesn't seem well received if thats when things nosedived.

You misspelled Abraham

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Remy Marathe posted:

Fortunately Z Nation continues to be a good entertaining show made by talented people.

gently caress yeah

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

i rewatched the whole series 1-6 a while ago (don't do this it's pretty numbing) and season 2 was definitely still the worst for me until 7, maybe worse than 7. it's just so agonizingly slow and boring for the most part. there were a few good and intense moments, it came after just one very promising and generally high quality season, and even with all the filler it ended with the feeling like it was maybe going somewhere interesting and dark. also the show still had the capacity to surprise since it deviated from the comics a fair amount,. by contrast, i don't care for where the story is going this season, obviously rick will win after an appropriate amount of deaths, i'm going to guess morgan as the big one, and then we'll move on to the next arc.

who am i kidding though i'll probably watch the whole season eventually. i'm a sucker for the setting

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 25, 2017

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Hey wouldn't it have been cool if this had made it into the episode?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Acacia REI posted:

Seriously though, what the gently caress were they doing when they were shooting the windows? What was the point?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Acacia REI posted:

Well that puts things in a new context and yeah, that sure would have made the episode way more comprehensible.

I know people dunk on the comics and some people say 'but in the comics this worked so it's great here!' but the truth seems to be 'AMC fucks up translating the comics in critical, critical ways when it tries to adapt them.'

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ersatz posted:

Fear was actually good this season, and not just in the trash that's entertaining sense.

A fact I think I repeat so much because it was so bad in season 2 people wrote it off completely.

gently caress nobody even bothered to make a new topic for S8 of regular Walking Dead. Critical apathy levels detected.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Ersatz posted:

Seriously though, what the gently caress were they doing when they were shooting the windows? What was the point?

Those windows have been smugly helping Negan for years now, it was time they learn the vengeful wrath of rick and his sharpshooters.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So how many seasons of this show are we actually going to get? I wouldn't be unhappy at all if this were the last one.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CODChimera posted:

So how many seasons of this show are we actually going to get? I wouldn't be unhappy at all if this were the last one.

I saw something about them taking about knowing the plotlines for 12/13 seasons, I wouldn't get your hopes up

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Twenty six.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Lol if you don’t think AMC hasn’t already turned this show into their Call of Duty

it’s not going away and there are enough people with bad taste to keep it on life support for a long time

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well it seems like the inevitable rating decline is well underway with season 8 premiere numbers in. But. 11 million is still a lot and with those ad numbers it seems like the show can definitely be profitable for awhile. I think a big test will be how much the ratings go down over this season but I'm going to predict right now that season 10 is probably going to be the final season

Have they made an announcement about whether season 9 is happening yet? They usually make this announcement very early in the season based on ratings.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Imagine the state of the show by season 12.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

CODChimera posted:

Imagine the state of the show by season 12.

The 7 episode long Rick vs Negan banjo contest arc.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Ersatz posted:

To create more ruckus/sound to draw the herd into Sanctuary.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Well that puts things in a new context and yeah, that sure would have made the episode way more comprehensible.

I know people dunk on the comics and some people say 'but in the comics this worked so it's great here!' but the truth seems to be 'AMC fucks up translating the comics in critical, critical ways when it tries to adapt them.'

Like last season when Carl came out of the back of that truck, blasted two of Negan's men, but then refused to take the shot at Negan because he was hiding behind another redshirt (who's life Carl obviously didn't care about like 3 seconds prior)? Handled SO much more competently in the comics. I don't understand what's going through the writers' minds when this poo poo happens, like you already had everything laid out for you, how are you loving it up so bad?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Acacia REI posted:

To create more ruckus/sound to draw the herd into Sanctuary.

I'm pretty sure guns firing is way louder than windows breaking.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Enderzero posted:

I'm pretty sure guns firing is way louder than windows breaking.

I know, but I've been watching long enough to know how TWD logic works.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Acacia REI posted:

Fair enough.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Acacia REI posted:

Hahaha. Survivors hate this one weird trick that draws walkers!

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

It's funny because at this point TWD practically is televised clickbait.

EDIT: I forgave that scene in the recent season of FTWD where zombies were more drawn to a small beeping device on the ground than the sound of the big-rear end truck the characters were driving so I can't really be too harsh on the windows logic.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 26, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

I saw something about them taking about knowing the plotlines for 12/13 seasons, I wouldn't get your hopes up

They should have 40 seasons until it becomes a cop procedural in a complete stable world that just happens to have zombies in it like a twilight zone episode.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Blazing Ownager posted:

They should have 40 seasons until it becomes a cop procedural in a complete stable world that just happens to have zombies in it like a twilight zone episode.

?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd really like for them to introduce a character from like canada or japan or something who won't stop talking about how they still have internet and free healthcare back home

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snorkzilla posted:

making GBS threads pants comes from a joke about a pirate captain who asks for a red shirt before they raid an easy vessel. It makes the blood of his enemies not stain his shirt since it's already red. Then the royal fleet approaches with clear hostile intent and the captain calls for his brown pants. His making GBS threads pants.

I believe you have to know this joke for negans line to make any sense. Good writing!

I haven't read past this point but wouldn't it be a lot better if he actually tauntingly asked if he brought his brown pants? That being the joke, after all...

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Acacia REI posted:

It's funny because at this point TWD practically is televised clickbait.

EDIT: I forgave that scene in the recent season of FTWD where zombies were more drawn to a small beeping device on the ground than the sound of the big-rear end truck the characters were driving so I can't really be too harsh on the windows logic.

This the show is clickbait. You can tell they are reallly trying to create LOST style water cooler moments now in place of characther drama and plot. Glenn's dumpster "death", Negan's bat mystery murder, and now this bizarre flash forward/multiple timeline premiere is just supposed to get all the fans talking and get people to speculate on talking dead

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

This the show is clickbait. You can tell they are reallly trying to create LOST style water cooler moments now in place of characther drama and plot. Glenn's dumpster "death", Negan's bat mystery murder, and now this bizarre flash forward/multiple timeline premiere is just supposed to get all the fans talking and get people to speculate on talking dead
Isn't it weird to have these "mysteries" when they follow the comic anyway, so anyone can just see the answer by looking at a comic wiki in like 5 seconds?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it worked for game of thrones!! (I didn't watch GoT past season 2 so I don't know if this is actually true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'd imagine this show could only improve once it outpaces the source material.