Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Wait, there are places that aren't like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I'm pretty sure people are too dumb by and large to understand that registered organisations is the problem and will call Labor or people conspiracy theorists given the unimpeachable independence and good standing of the AFP.

I'm not saying people aren't dumb, but you're forgetting one thing about dumb people with a bad case of Dunning-Kruger - they're also incredibly receptive to conspiracy theories.

And nobody I know who isn't a rusted on liberal voter thinks that cops can be trusted either.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Someone at work called me a conspiracy theorist because I talked about how the cashless welfare card company is owned by mates of the people in politics who are pushing it. Also because i don't think politicians are acting in the best interests of their constituents.

People are weirdly protective of things being ok and don't like to hear if they aren't.

Also apparently "do some buckets" means buy some buckets of coronas not ripping bongs. People are weird.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

hooman posted:

Also apparently "do some buckets" means buy some buckets of coronas not ripping bongs. People are weird.

I trust you set them straight...

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Hey, I know it was discussed one or two threads ago, but I can't find that bit - what's currently the best retail union? I bailed out of the SDA about a month ago and should probably join another.

For reference: I'm in Victoria, work in a petrol station.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bike chat goes international

Australian tourist Prue Elizabeth Harvey is facing a serious battery charge in Florida after allegedly yelling "fall bitch!" before pushing a woman cyclist to the ground during the popular Zombie Bike Ride.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

simmyb posted:

I trust you set them straight...

I tried to explain it to them, but I wasn't about to link Frenzal Rhomb to someone at work. I did have to explain how a bucket bong worked. I'm not sure they understood how a normal bong worked either... were these people never in high school?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Coucho Marx posted:

Hey, I know it was discussed one or two threads ago, but I can't find that bit - what's currently the best retail union? I bailed out of the SDA about a month ago and should probably join another.

For reference: I'm in Victoria, work in a petrol station.

RAFFWU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

Someone at work called me a conspiracy theorist because I talked about how the cashless welfare card company is owned by mates of the people in politics who are pushing it. Also because i don't think politicians are acting in the best interests of their constituents.

People are weirdly protective of things being ok and don't like to hear if they aren't.

Next you'll be telling me that a bugle is a musical instrument.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
And that hills hoists are for hanging out washing.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Cheers!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

xPanda posted:

And that hills hoists are for hanging out washing.

And that light globes are for lighting,

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

Disgusting.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

????

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Add a 2L bottle of mountain dew, 1 cone piece, some lovely weed and a bottle of spirits and there is my Saturday night in year 12.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

gesundheit

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

I tried to explain it to them, but I wasn't about to link Frenzal Rhomb to someone at work. I did have to explain how a bucket bong worked. I'm not sure they understood how a normal bong worked either... were these people never in high school?

congrats on giving everyone just enough information to safely assume you are the office stoner.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pretty sure everyone in the office is going harder than weed unless you're working in a place full of oldies or there is testing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

congrats on giving everyone just enough information to safely assume you are the office stoner.

I, like everyone in my industry, am regularly drug tested.

EDIT: In fact I have a drug test tomorrow.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Laserface posted:

hooman posted:

Add a 2L bottle of mountain dew, 1 cone piece, some lovely weed and a bottle of spirits and there is my Saturday night in year 12.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
everybody who knows me in a professional capacity thinks i'm straight-laced, politically centrist and have never seen a joint in my life

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

the old ceremony posted:

everybody who knows me in a professional capacity thinks i'm straight-laced, politically centrist and have never seen a joint in my life

I'm one of the only non-drinkers at office functions.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

hooman posted:

I'm one of the only non-drinkers at office functions.

"He's not drinking because he's a massive stoner"

-Literally everyone you work with

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

smdh if you’re not covertly monitoring your colleagues for leftist sentiment and inviting them into secret cadres for activation when the revolution comes

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Victorian health minister has apologised for calling the deputy premier a oval office

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Victorian health minister has apologised for calling the deputy premier a oval office

Auspol in a nutshell. :australia:

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Auspol November: The Victorian health minister has apologised for calling the deputy premier a oval office

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

FWIW I think apologising for that is pretty drat unaustralian

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

"He's not drinking because he's a massive stoner"

-Literally everyone you work with

:catdrugs:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

FWIW I think apologising for that is pretty drat unaustralian

especially when he deserved it

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-25/children-as-young-as-10-on-police-blacklist-routinely-harassed/9083108

quote:

People as young as 10 are being included on a secretive blacklist kept by New South Wales Police, which experts say is criminalising children.
Lawyers from the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (PIAC) and the University of New South Wales (UNSW) have released a study into a police policy known as the "Suspect Target Management Plan" (STMP).
The details of the program are closely guarded by NSW Police, but authors of the report believe thousands of people may be targeted as part of it.
One of the authors, PIAC senior solicitor Camilla Pandolfini, said the first time people realise they are in the program is when they are routinely harassed by police.
"Individuals aren't given a formal notification that they're placed on the STMP, but what they do experience is repeated stops and searches every time they're out on the street," she said.
"And then police showing up at their homes at all hours of the night, all hours of the morning, sometimes a couple of times a day, sometimes a couple of times a week."
Dr Vicki Sentas from the University of New South Wales has spent years researching the STMP after stumbling across it while working at Sydney's Redfern Legal Centre.
"[We had] young people coming in saying, 'I'm on a STOMP', and we were saying 'What is this STOMP?'"
Dr Sentas describes it as a troubling shift away from traditional policing.
"Traditional policing is about investigating an offence that's actually happened in order to find the offender.
"What the STMP does, it is not based on police suspecting that someone has done something, or they're about to do something.
"Police target people on the STMP because of who they are."

quote:

"Anna", as she wants to be known, said her grandson was one of those on the list.
In late 2013, police in the New South Wales town of Walgett started checking on the then 19-year-old multiple times a day.
Anna described how the police would show up at the house at 9pm and 10pm, and also on Sunday mornings.
"They'd be quite aggressive at the door — you know, swearing and things like that," she said.
Her grandson had what she calls a minor, non-violent criminal history in the Northern Territory, for which he was serving a community service order.
But Anna said he was holding down a job and getting his life back on track when police began showing up on a daily basis and routinely searching him in the street — a pattern that continued for nine months.
"[It was] to the point where he said, 'I don't even feel like I can go out of my own house, and even in my own house I'm not feeling safe'," she said.
Anna said there was never any paperwork or formal notification as to why her grandson was targeted, and as far as she knows he may still be on the STMP.
e: the article mentions there's significant over-representation of aboriginal people on the list, because of course there is

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 25, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-25/children-as-young-as-10-on-police-blacklist-routinely-harassed/9083108

e: the article mentions there's significant over-representation of aboriginal people on the list, because of course there is

Don't worry, you can trust the police

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Queensland Police Service has executed a search warrant on the ABC in Brisbane, seeking leaked state Cabinet documents used in a series of news stories.

The police service sought the warrant in relation to a complaint by the Queensland Cabinet Secretary, Leighton Craig, that the documents may have been "improperly accessed" in breach of Cabinet rules.

fuuuuuuuuuu

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

MSY Technology ordered to pay penalties of $750,000 for consumer guarantee misrepresentations
25 October 2017

The Federal Court has ordered penalties totalling $750,000 against MSY Technology Pty Ltd, MSY Group Pty Ltd, and M.S.Y. Technology (NSW) Pty Ltd (MSY Technology) for misrepresenting consumers’ rights to remedies for faulty products.

MSY Technology operates 28 retail stores across Australia and online, selling computers, computer parts, accessories and software. MSY Technology admitted that it made false or misleading representations on the MSY website, and in oral and email communications to consumers about their rights.

“MSY had misrepresented consumers’ rights to a repair, replacement, or a refund where a product developed a fault. Businesses must ensure their refund and returns policies, and any representations accurately reflect their obligations under consumer law,” ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard said.

“These proceedings and the penalties imposed signal to businesses that the ACCC will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action where it identifies misleading representations about consumers’ rights.”

“This is the second time the ACCC has taken action against MSY entities. The court imposed penalties in 2011 for misleading consumer warranty representations,” Ms Rickard said.

The Federal Court also made other orders by consent including injunctions, a comprehensive ACL compliance training program, publication orders, and payment of $50,000 towards the ACCC’s costs.

Following the commencement of proceedings, MSY Technology made admissions and agreed to joint submissions on liability and relief (including penalty) that were filed with the Court.

Background

MSY Technology operates nationally, with 28 retail stores and an online site that sells computers, computer parts, accessories and software to consumers.

In 2011, a number of MSY entities were penalised $203,500 for false and misleading consumer warranty representations, following action by the ACCC.

Consumer guarantees cannot be excluded restricted or otherwise modified by a seller’s terms or conditions. Retailers must ensure their practices do not contravene the ACL when consumers try to return a faulty product or ask for a remedy under the ACL.

To find out more about consumer guarantee rights, visit the ACCC's page on consumer rights & guarantees.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/msy-technology-ordered-to-pay-penalties-of-750000-for-consumer-guarantee-misrepresentations

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Has umart ever been pulled up for this? They have been pulling the same poo poo forever.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

They all do it, unless you get very militant with them.

Source: me building computers for clients and having to deal with the chucklefucks when poo poo breaks.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLtB7e_hrS4

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

E:wrong thread

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 25, 2017

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/pleasedontatme/status/923053380586520576

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

The Queensland Police Service has executed a search warrant on the ABC in Brisbane, seeking leaked state Cabinet documents used in a series of news stories.

The police service sought the warrant in relation to a complaint by the Queensland Cabinet Secretary, Leighton Craig, that the documents may have been "improperly accessed" in breach of Cabinet rules.

The stories by ABC National Reporting Team journalists Mark Willacy and Alexandra Blucher focused on deep budget cuts to Queensland's environment department under the then LNP government of Campbell Newman in 2012.

The stories were based on a raft of leaked Cabinet briefing notes and internal savings proposals.

One Cabinet note revealed that the LNP government used a "pain ranking" to help decide which programs and budgets would be slashed, while another detailed how oversight of the controversial coal seam gas industry was repeatedly cut.

A third story in the series revealed the former Newman government killed off a profitable climate change company run by the state.

A police officer from the Queensland Police State Crime Command executed the warrant during a visit to the ABC's Brisbane office in South Bank.

The warrant said that a "person or persons unknown having been employed in public office by the Queensland Government unlawfully communicated information namely confidential cabinet briefing notes and internal government savings proposals by the Liberal National Party in 2012…that was his or her duty to keep secret".

• Locked thread