Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jaxyon posted:

Long Beach is real mad about higher density, god forbid people be able to afford to live an hour away from LA.

http://www.presstelegram.com/2017/10/20/long-beach-city-planners-go-back-to-the-drawing-board-after-series-of-boisterous-town-halls/

Yeah I defaced a sign that basically said "HIGH DENSITY = HIGH CRIME + NO PARKING" a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I defaced a sign that basically said "HIGH DENSITY = HIGH CRIME + NO PARKING" a few weeks ago.

Just look at how white that crowd is.

Hint: Long Beach is less than 50% white.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jaxyon posted:

Just look at how white that crowd is.

Hint: Long Beach is less than 50% white.
Yeah was just about to say drat thats a lot of white people. I have very limited experience, but I've flown in and out of Long Beach a few times, and last time I had some time to kill before our flight out so we walked around "downtown" (lol) LB and it was just a depressing mess. It felt totally like a dead city and the walmart was even closing up with one of the last few days of sales which made it extra eerie and weird.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Duckbox posted:

Why are you repeating what I said but being a snarky rear end in a top hat about it?

lol

You said Fresno is bigger, and it's not. Which means i didn't repeat what you said, you dummy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xaris posted:

Yeah was just about to say drat thats a lot of white people. I have very limited experience, but I've flown in and out of Long Beach a few times, and last time I had some time to kill before our flight out so we walked around "downtown" (lol) LB and it was just a depressing mess. It felt totally like a dead city and the walmart was even closing up with one of the last few days of sales which made it extra eerie and weird.

It's actually become way trendier and gentrified, and real-estate has shot way up. Downtown has a ton of new businesses.

Those people are sitting on houses worth 600k+ that aren't even remotely near the beach and don't want more brown people to come in. They studiously avoid downtown and anywhere else that isn't lily white.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, Long Beach is nice. If DTLB is too poor for you, go hang out on 2nd Street in Belmont Shore, that's where most of the NIMBY folks live. 4th Street in East Village is also kinda nice and the Promenade is quite pretty now that they've done some work on it. The Pike is dead as gently caress, granted.

The problem with Long Beach is that its pleasantness is on a clear northwest-southeast gradient.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

All I know about Long Beach is a bunch of Khmer people live there so it must at least have some nice parts with donuts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah there's a nice Cambodiatown too. It's on Anaheim.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Doc Hawkins posted:

All I know about Long Beach is a bunch of Khmer people live there so it must at least have some nice parts with donuts.

Why have donuts when you can have Cambodian steamed pork buns?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rah! posted:

lol

You said Fresno is bigger, and it's not. Which means i didn't repeat what you said, you dummy.

Why are you laughing? I gave metro area sizes right in the post. You're the idiot starting a meaningless semantic argument because you think municipal boundaries don't count. Why am I not allowed to refer to the cities of Sacramento and Fresno as "Sacremento" and "Fresno," exactly?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

karthun posted:

Why have donuts when you can have Cambodian steamed pork buns?

If you're saying there's actually Cambodian restaurants there too, then *puts on t-shirt reading "if you don't like prahok, then off you can fok"* heh, yeah, you could say I'm down for that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CPColin posted:

Thanks for the heads up! Streaming now:

http://www.calchannel.com/live-webcast/

Public comment has started. Lots of nurses there, as usual.

Edit: All done. Overwhelming support for SB562. One guy didn't like some of the language in the bill and wanted Medi-Cal for All instead.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 24, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Duckbox posted:

Why are you laughing? I gave metro area sizes right in the post. You're the idiot starting a meaningless semantic argument because you think municipal boundaries don't count. Why am I not allowed to refer to the cities of Sacramento and Fresno as "Sacremento" and "Fresno," exactly?

Because that's not how you spell Sacramento.

I mean, I know it's not the height of comedy to correct someone's spelling, but holy poo poo did you leave it hanging there. How'd you get it right the first time and not the second?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Because that's not how you spell Sacramento.

I mean, I know it's not the height of comedy to correct someone's spelling, but holy poo poo did you leave it hanging there. How'd you get it right the first time and not the second?

No clue. Probably a phone posting thing. I noticed it later but left it up there because I thought someone would find it funny.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Gavin Newsom wrote a thing: https://medium.com/@GavinNewsom/the-california-dream-starts-at-home-9dbb38c51cae

quote:

Let’s consider the facts: the median home value in California is $469,300, and a lot higher in coastal areas. Homeownership rates have dropped dramatically. Nearly half of renters spend a huge proportion of their income — more than 35% — on housing costs and still often live in unsafe and unsanitary conditions. Yet since 2005 California has only produced 308 housing units for every 1000 new residents. Add in the fact that California will be home to 50 million people by 2050, and it’s obvious we’re not on pace to meet that demand.

Simply put, we’re experiencing a housing affordability crisis, driven by a simple economic argument. California is leading the national recovery but it’s producing far more jobs than homes. Providing adequate housing is fundamental to growing the state’s economy. The current housing shortage is costing California over $140 billion per year in lost economic opportunity. Creating jobs without providing access to housing drives income inequality up and consumer spending down. The simple fact is the more money people need to spend on rent, the less they can spend supporting small businesses. Employers, meanwhile, are rightfully concerned that the high cost of housing will impede their ability to attract and retain the best workers.
It’s also time to hold local jurisdictions accountable for housing production. Today, we ask cities to meet housing goals yet offer few incentives to help meet them, and impose few consequences for failing to produce units. Many cities rightfully tell us they have a transportation problem but in reality, it’s also a housing problem. Let’s link transportation funding to housing goals to encourage smart growth.

Cities have a perverse incentive not to build housing because retail generates more lucrative sales tax revenue. The bigger the box, the better, because cities can use the sales tax for core public services. We must revamp our tax system to financially reward cities that produce housing and punish those that fail. Tough accountability backed by financial incentives will unlock the potential for cities to step up their game. This will be a herculean effort, but as a former Mayor who has seen this problem first hand, I’m determined to get it done.
God, yes please.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

We'll see if his Marin county donors let that happen.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Always these liberals with the targeted tax breaks.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
"Yet since 2005 California has only produced 308 housing units for every 1000 new residents."

That's crazy

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Enigma89 posted:

"Yet since 2005 California has only produced 308 housing units for every 1000 new residents."

That's crazy

That period included the crash so grain of salt there.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Ron Jeremy posted:

We were underproducing housing before, during, and after the crash. I don't think that's much of an objection.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I mean it's housing units per job and the crash would mean fewer jobs so why does including the crash matter?

Enigma89 posted:

That's crazy
I mean it's not quite as bad as that sounds since the average household size is > 1*. But yeah it's still pretty bad. And even in 2005 housing prices were already quite high in coastal California.

* although controlling for household size is itself potentially problematic since high housing prices will force more people to room together who might otherwise not if getting their own place was affordable, and of course really that whole metric is kind of bad because obviously if there just isn't enough space and prices are high then a lot of people who might've moved to California will just not (and people who might've stayed will leave)

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 24, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Meanwhile, the SLO City Council approves a project that actually looks pretty good and, welp, some assholes sue to...stop it? I can't tell what they actually want, besides to gum up the works, but with a name like "Preserve the SLO Life," you know it's just pure FYGM.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cicero posted:

I mean it's housing units per job and the crash would mean fewer jobs so why does including the crash matter?

Looks like housing units per new resident which may or may not track with jobs.

We can't underestimate the kick in the balls the housing construction market took. The crash wasn't just a financial downturn but a fundamental correction in housing that spread and almost took down the entire economy. I think we forget how serious poo poo was in 2008.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The NIMBY thing is happening because people are now so economically insecure and crushed that their house is their only source of wealth. So they are hyper-sensitive to things that effect its value.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The NIMBY thing is happening because people are now so economically insecure and crushed that their house is their only source of wealth. So they are hyper-sensitive to things that effect its value.
If there were a mechanism to protect homeowners from being disastrously underwater during an economic downturn that would help things.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do you think NIMBYist opposition to density is new?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Badger of Basra posted:

Do you think NIMBYist opposition to density is new?

No, but I believe it's intensified as houses become a huge repository for wealth, racial tensions are exacerbated by inequality, and the middle class is destroyed.

Just my theory, feel free to poo poo on it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What California needs is fewer SFRs and more SROs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dear Jerry Brown please make it against the law for it to be this hot

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
tfw you realize Modesto’s forecast is cooler than Berkeley's

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

What's stupid is that everything is ridiculously overinflated throughout the entire Bay Area to the point that even if you sell your overpriced three bedroom ranch home and want to upgrade, you effectively need to move out of the area (due to Prop 13 considerations, the same goes for downsizing).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tfw you realize Modesto’s forecast is cooler than Berkeley's

Maybe this'll relieve pressure on the coastal cities' housing markets as everybody looks at the weather and goes, "gently caress, I might as well live in the Central Valley!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thoughts on the new 12 cents/gallon gas tax going into effect tomorrow? On the one hand $5+ billion in additional revenue for transport infrastructure is much needed and it's nice that some of that money is earmarked for local towns to use for their own infrastructure. On the other hand though it feels regressive as gently caress; the only group that's going to feel the squeeze are poor earners who have to commute for work.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Sydin posted:

Thoughts on the new 12 cents/gallon gas tax going into effect tomorrow? On the one hand $5+ billion in additional revenue for transport infrastructure is much needed and it's nice that some of that money is earmarked for local towns to use for their own infrastructure. On the other hand though it feels regressive as gently caress; the only group that's going to feel the squeeze are poor earners who have to commute for work.

The changeover to winter gas blends happens tomorrow so it’s gonna mask the cost of that tax increase.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
damnit i should have bought gas today

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah it's super regressive, especially in California where the poor commute 1.5 hours each way and the rich walk to work (or work from home). The extra money is definitely a good thing, but it's an awful way to pay for it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah it's super regressive, especially in California where the poor commute 1.5 hours each way and the rich walk to work (or work from home). The extra money is definitely a good thing, but it's an awful way to pay for it.
I somewhat disagree. I'm against sales-tax and obviously best thing to do is repeal Prop 13. But Bay Bridge toll is going up $6 to $9, should it even have a toll because that's regressive? Infact should all bridges be free just because it's regressive? Should alcohol tax be abolished (perhaps it should) because it's super regressive? Should weed not be taxed when it's finalized sold legally?

Gas tax in 1947 (CA) was 4 cents per gallon, if you adjust that to inflation it would be 52 cents today. Compared to the latest raise of 41.7 cents. Would it have been super regressive to add a yearly CPI adjustment to the gas tax starting in 1947?

And really the poor of the poor still take transit, even if it takes long with crappy bus system. Fortunately most metro areas have alright enough transit (SF, Sac, LA) to get around. It's the more lower to upper middle class that drive from the further out burbs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Everybody driving their own gas-powered car is not sustainable for the planet and anything that changes our current course away from that is a net good for all people.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

Infact should all bridges be free

Yes

And we should have free public transport too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes

And we should have free public transport too
Free transit i agree with and we absolutely need to building that poo poo out. Also that is also begging the question, is charging $X/hr for street parking super regressive? Do you think street parking should all be free too? I don't agree and subscribe to the ideology of Donald Shoup that street parking is too cheap and available.

Should there even be smog requirements because it costs money to smog and may not pass which hurts the poor? Even if it means worse air quality and environmental damage from having people driving poor emission vehicles, is it still acceptable to endure environmental health risks because poors may not be able to replace their failed-smog car?

That is at the crux why I think gas tax and all of the above is fine, I think anything that gets more people away from driving is a net good, regardless of some uncomfortable socioeconomic issues that go along with it in the short term. It will also help get people to consider alternate modes and hopefully spur more demand for transit+closer housing. Tax the poo poo out of car ownership in all forms to discourage it, build more dense housing, and improve transit options.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Everybody driving their own gas-powered car is not sustainable for the planet and anything that changes our current course away from that is a net good for all people.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 1, 2017