Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are everyone's favorite few drop spots?

Am I trying to win (lol) solo? Rozhok and Mylta because of relatively low early game competition. I love those two dinky towns. In my experience you'll get one to three other people which to me is a manageable amount to keep track of.

Am I in a group and trying to win (lol)? Yasnaya, Pochinky, North Georg

Am I in a group and just loving around and playing aggressive? Military Base, School

Read "trying to win" as "trying not to lose within the first two minutes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
correct me if I'm wrong as a guy who hasn't played this game, but it seems like the risk involved in jumping into a hot spot is worth it based on the advantages you have if you come out of it on top and the fact that its a low time investment if you dont

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

correct me if I'm wrong as a guy who hasn't played this game, but it seems like the risk involved in jumping into a hot spot is worth it based on the advantages you have if you come out of it on top and the fact that its a low time investment if you dont

so worth it. look at it this way:

- you can land at some backalley, out of the way farmstead and get mediocre loot (an ump, a shotgun, maybe if you're lucky an AR) and a bunch of level 1 stuff (backpack, helmet, vest), but no scopes, just holos and red dots. you'll be looting for about 5 minutes, and then moving circle to circle with subpar gear. it's even worse in duos / squads, cause your group will all be fighting for stuff and there'll be people running around with no optics, no vests, etc for ages
- you can land at a hotspot. loot is much better. people you kill have gone through the effort of looting, so it makes you get a poo poo tonne of stuff relatively easily, without having to bust your rear end searching every room. you walk out of that place with level 2 stuff, and maybe a level 3 item here or there. you'll have optics. you'll have ARs, maybe a sniper, a poo poo tonne of ammo. you move circle to circle with very good gear and are a dangerous threat to people you come up against.

option 2 is way more fun. i get really, really salty when i spend most of the game moving room to room looting, only to end up with crap poo poo that ain't worth a drat, and die at my first engagement 20 mins ago. cause that really makes you feel like a dummy for spending so long looting for nothing.

killing other people for their poo poo is a win win. if you die, you invested next to no energy, but walk out of the game with a little bit more experience. if you beat them, you take all their stuff that they worked for. it's a much more intense experience, and deaths aren't as painful, since the only energy you invested into that round was moving circle to circle and hunting people down / fighting. not the boring parts of the game (looting ad infinitum).

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 24, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Coming out on top at school generally leaves you with poo poo loot. Also, getting back into the game can take fairly long at the higher ratings and is a poo poo experience anyway with the janky menus, lobby, waiting to land and early game lag.

That said, I'm pretty burnt out on the game so that might skew my perspective. It just doesn't excite me much anymore :(

e: ^^^^ there's many more perfectly valid options which offer a middle ground between the two polar opposites you keep mentioning.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

polar opposites or bust

how else can i make my opinion seem good if i don't have an extreme to pit it against?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Parallel Playa posted:

Coming out on top at school generally leaves you with poo poo loot. Also, getting back into the game can take fairly long at the higher ratings and is a poo poo experience anyway with the janky menus, lobby, waiting to land and early game lag.

That said, I'm pretty burnt out on the game so that might skew my perspective. It just doesn't excite me much anymore :(

School is close to apartments so if you have bad loot after winning both those places, you're the unluckiest person in the world.

The game is still fun but running into an obvious cheater one out of three games is starting to get irritating.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

OGS-Remix posted:

School is close to apartments so if you have bad loot after winning both those places, you're the unluckiest person in the world.

The game is still fun but running into an obvious cheater one out of three games is starting to get irritating.

The apartments don't fit the "win here and get rewarded" label either though, albeit for a slightly different reason; they have terrible loot and take ages to sift through. You come out on top there and you're left with 6 corpses containing machetes and saigas and 4 buildings which still have some loot left but gently caress finding out what has and hasn't been looted in those instances. You'd still end up spending 10 minutes trying to get some gear.

Substation, novo and military are all better spots to drop to learn how to fight and get set up for later on in the game - a stage for which practice is valuable too; that's often overlooked imo. The school area (and in particular the school itself, gently caress apartment fights) is definitely among the funnest places to start but its upside when it comes to learning the game is often grossly exaggerated on here imo. (I know that isn't the point you were making necessarily but it does come up a lot.)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
why do people drop school if it doesn't have promising loot

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Parallel Playa posted:

e: ^^^^ there's many more perfectly valid options which offer a middle ground between the two polar opposites you keep mentioning.

Exactly. That’s why I like places like Yasnaya or Mylta. 1-3 others generally, plenty of places to find good loot. Pochinki has too many drat windows, and is too big. I always either lose my target or get hit from a window I didn’t notice.

The compound north of Pochinki isn’t bad, especially if you can get to the church before it gets looted too.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

why do people drop school if it doesn't have promising loot

Because it is basically a really fun CS map in design and the plane pretty much always gets close. I love me a bit of fy_school_day, but there really isn't much more to the area than that

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 24, 2017

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
What’s different between the SCAR and the M416? Is one better? The SCAR seems rarer.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Koryk posted:

What’s different between the SCAR and the M416? Is one better? The SCAR seems rarer.

Fire rate and recoil I think, assuming both are bare.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
M4 has a extra attachment slot, Scar has high fire rate with less damage per boolet, so M4 makes a better assault-turned sniper while the scar is for spraying full auto.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The Scar's iron sights are lovely.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The scar's iron sights are easily the worst in the game, you could argue the AWM's are worse but at least you can loving see.

Also: any sweet boys going to PAX AUS?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ran across my first legit cheater today. Killed three of us in a car moving at full speed in a single burst. He was moving incredibly fast too.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ChesterJT posted:

You know there's a report feature built right into the game right?

The devs have confirmed it's basically a meaningless placebo button that they use for statistical purposes only. If you want your report to actually matter you need to post on their forum with video or screenshot evidence.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

wolrah posted:

The devs have confirmed it's basically a meaningless placebo button that they use for statistical purposes only. If you want your report to actually matter you need to post on their forum with video or screenshot evidence.

Wow that's terrible. I should have expected that.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The scar’s iron sights are annoying and the m4 gets extra space for bits, but other than that they’re basically the same.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The scar’s iron sights are annoying and the m4 gets extra space for bits, but other than that they’re basically the same.

I feel like SCAR is better if you like to full auto. M4 looks loving cool though all decked out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

M4 has a extra attachment slot, Scar has high fire rate with less damage per boolet, so M4 makes a better assault-turned sniper while the scar is for spraying full auto.

Going off the stats on PUBG.me, all the 5.56 ARs have the same damage. And the 416 has a higher RoF.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
SCAR is great if you have an AR silencer. IIRC, it's the quietest AR with or without one by a pretty large margin.

Still prefer the 416 but its fun to switch it up sometimes.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Going off the stats on PUBG.me, all the 5.56 ARs have the same damage. And the 416 has a higher RoF.

Yup. That's the only difference. Also, the tactical stock on the M416 does nothing, or at least it didn't a month or so ago. Lastly, a silenced M16 is by far the most difficult of all to pinpoint through sound, but iirc they are all audible within the same ranges.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It's not much but it helps a lot if you're stuck in a range battle with unmagnified optics, or you're lazy and want to hipfire.

pre:
- 20.00% Recoil Pattern
+ 15.00% Recoil Recovery
- 10.00% Animation Kick
- 10.00% Sway
https://pubg.me/items/attachments

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Are there some fog tricks? I think I was on the receiving end of something that let people see through fog clearer.

Teammates telling me that they're dead center in my screen, get fuckin blasted without seeing a shape. I guess it's possible they were prone.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

I am Protected

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my headcanon you've been playing around stairs for months waiting for the perfect moment to use that reference.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Welp, never doing this again https://clips.twitch.tv/TentativeTastyCrowTooSpicy

Since the leaderboards have turned back on, I have yet to make it into a top 10 solo that has not ended in me getting brutally turbojumpfucked, this guy shot me in the head through the tree!!!

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Xenaero posted:

Are there some fog tricks? I think I was on the receiving end of something that let people see through fog clearer.

Teammates telling me that they're dead center in my screen, get fuckin blasted without seeing a shape. I guess it's possible they were prone.

I good fog tip is to try to avoid your silhouette being visible against the sky and try to be in spots where you in turn can spot the enemies silhouette against the sky. This means stay on low ground instead of high ground and at least move a bit down the front of a hill instead of peeking from behind it. You spot people at like 3 times the distance if you can see them against the sky vs you looking down in to a valley or something.

About general visibility I'm not sure since I also suspect that my team mates might be able to see a bit better in the fog than me. Maybe turn the brightness down a bit since mine is generally very high and I suspect it might be the culprit. I haven't tested it yet though.

Concerning SCAR vs M4. I'll take either but generally swap for the SCAR if possible since I feel like all the games where my spray has been godlike has been with the SCAR (I never tap with my close range gun at distance below approx. 75 m). This could of course very well be a case of confirmation bias, but if it gives me confidence due to that why not.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 25, 2017

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc8k1yTRapM

An exciting video. All tips appreciated.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
This may have already been covered, but why do so many Asians play on NA servers? Is it because the ping gives them an advantage, or am I missing something equally obvious?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

This guy killed me through a window, through a door, from over 600 meters away. He kills the one other guy left in school a few rooms over and a floor down at the very end of the clip

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedOpenCodSoonerLater

I had such a nice start, too :smith:

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Had a squad game yesterday where we trekked a fair bit off the plane route to loot in Novo. When we were done we moved to the circle north of the bridge but never heard or saw anyone and noticed that very few were left in the game relative to how far the round had progressed. When 6 where left (beside us) we spotted the first enemy who proceeded to kill the 3 of us in less than a second. That was a very boring game since the cheater had wiped almost everyone but us. Guess I will keep an eye on the killfeed so we can leave games like these before run around alone for 20 minutes.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Concerning SCAR vs M4. I'll take either but generally swap for the SCAR if possible since I feel like all the games where my spray has been godlike has been with the SCAR (I never tap with my close range gun at distance below approx. 75 m). This could of course very well be a case of confirmation bias, but if it gives me confidence due to that why not.

According to the data mined stats the scar has some of the best recoil of the ARs. It also has high bullet impact which some people speculate is aimpunch, but who knows. The M4 has higher RoF and low bullet impact.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Any tips fighting out in the open? I feel like I am pretty decent at fighting in buildings and at close-ish range, but I almost never come out on top if I am fighting outdoors, far from civilization. Some of this is me needing to work on aiming at long range, but usually the opponent sees me first. I think usually the problem is I am not looking in the right places, or that I don't have a good sense of where an opponent might be when I am running around outside, so I let my guard down at the wrong times. Are there any situations where I should be especially careful to run into someone? Such as, areas just inside circle/along the flight path?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Never let you are gourd down solder

I found these one after the other, never found the level 3 version / portal to the secret cow level

hack the planet !!! https://clips.twitch.tv/PlausibleObservantMushroomPeteZarollTie gently caress !

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 25, 2017

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I was in the middle of a field, pinned down by a dude with a Mini and the blue rapidly approaching. All I had was an AK with a red dot sight, so I figured I might as well give it a try

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ShockedGlossyAcouchi

tbf he should have smoked me, he had a 4x, but I was pretty pleased with myself nonetheless

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Literally the most important thing is to be able to win >50% of single matchups with relatively comparable gear and maybe even when you don't get the first shot. If you can't do that, nothing else matters. If your shooting sucks and your cover awareness sucks, no amount of looting or strategy helps.
You're like a boxer who trains by trying on gloves and maybe throwing 2 punches every bout.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

New Zealand can eat me posted:

This guy killed me through a window, through a door, from over 600 meters away. He kills the one other guy left in school a few rooms over and a floor down at the very end of the clip

https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedOpenCodSoonerLater

I had such a nice start, too :smith:

I have noticed that anything besides TPP solos has WAY less hackers, purely because it's not the first leaderboard people see. FPP solos have some but not even close to the same amount, it really doesn't feel worth it at all to play TPP solos right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Dropped military base and only had two frags and a backpack before a guy with a AR ran into the room. he doesn't see me around the corner so I try to throw a grenade at him while hes looting, hears the grenade, turns, I duck and cock the second grenade. He pops the corner and headshots me, then dies to the grenade I let go as he killed me.

Small victories for 60 seconds of gameplay

• Locked thread