Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Vasudus posted:

It's been at least several weeks since I last bitched about Steam's intentional lack of filters so I have to browse their garbage dating anime games looking for something new to play. I guess they're not classifying games as "anime" sometimes despite very clearly being that loving garbage so it still shows up sometimes. Goddamn capitalism.

Searching by tags works a little but yeah it doesn't matter what tag, you're gonna end with 30 of those mixed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't really want to get Shadow of War for 60 bucks and still have to deal with microtransaction garbage in a premium single player game but there's not much else out there :(

I won't have time to play anything tonight anyway.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Vasudus posted:

I don't really want to get Shadow of War for 60 bucks and still have to deal with microtransaction garbage in a premium single player game but there's not much else out there :(

Avoiding the microshits so far, but there's always the 4-on-1 surprise ambush gangbang when you try to take down a chief. If that doesn't already make you blindingly angry, guess what? They all adapt instantly to your attacks, they're either trolls or shields, at least two are cursed, and when you die you have to track one cocksucker down because he loving broke your sword and the only way to get it back is stabbing him in the face.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Avoiding the microshits so far, but there's always the 4-on-1 surprise ambush gangbang when you try to take down a chief. If that doesn't already make you blindingly angry, guess what? They all adapt instantly to your attacks, they're either trolls or shields, at least two are cursed, and when you die you have to track one cocksucker down because he loving broke your sword and the only way to get it back is stabbing him in the face.

i don't know what any of those words mean

i did not play shadow of mordor

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I haven’t bought a single game that has micro transactions (that I knew about before buying). I’m not going to support that poo poo. A bunch of DLC is bad enough.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A Bioware developer (ex dev anyhow) spoke at length about micro transactions and the direction EA is going because of how compulsive spending is amongst a low percentage of video game buyers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i am incredibly picky about what games i play now and it's insanely annoying

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

i am incredibly picky about what games i play now and it's insanely annoying

Come play Dwarf Fortress m'lord

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I haven’t bought a single game that has micro transactions (that I knew about before buying). I’m not going to support that poo poo. A bunch of DLC is bad enough.

There's a difference between cosmetic microtransactions and actual no-poo poo pay-to-win/play.

Path of Exile's transactions, with the exception of stash tabs, is entirely cosmetic and I have no problem throwing a few bucks their way every expansion. Even if my piece of poo poo computer can't handle them, they put out a good game for free and their customer service beats the poo poo out of anything anywhere.

Games like Hearthstone where you can't really compete without throwing down actual paper Magic: The Gathering levels of money are bullshit. Mobile games like Candy Crush where the game is literally designed to screw you into buying things are beyond my vernacular to describe.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Come play Dwarf Fortress m'lord

I just burned out on my semi-annual Rimworld binge. Like, 20 minutes ago.

redneck nazgul posted:

There's a difference between cosmetic microtransactions and actual no-poo poo pay-to-win/play.

Path of Exile's transactions, with the exception of stash tabs, is entirely cosmetic and I have no problem throwing a few bucks their way every expansion. Even if my piece of poo poo computer can't handle them, they put out a good game for free and their customer service beats the poo poo out of anything anywhere.

Games like Hearthstone where you can't really compete without throwing down actual paper Magic: The Gathering levels of money are bullshit. Mobile games like Candy Crush where the game is literally designed to screw you into buying things are beyond my vernacular to describe.

PoE has the only microtransaction system that I wholeheartedly approve of. I'm sitting on a hundred dollars of points right now just because I buy the packs when they come out to support GGG. That money goes right into the game, and their customer service is A++++

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

redneck nazgul posted:

Any game where they are pushing monetary transactions for anything, be it pay to win or for a cool penis drawing on your gun that has no effect on other players, is stupid and greedy.

Today it’s just micro transactions for a dick on your guns. If people keep shoveling money at it then it will become paying for your character to be able to shoot his dick gun.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I just burned out on my semi-annual Rimworld binge. Like, 20 minutes ago.

Shhhh, we don't talk about that other, lesser game.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Any game where they are pushing monetary transactions for anything, be it pay to win or for a cool penis drawing on your gun that has no effect on other players, is stupid and greedy.

Today it’s just micro transactions for a dick on your guns. If people keep shoveling money at it then it will become paying for your character to be able to shoot his dick gun.

In a lot of cases yes, that's quite true. But in the case of say, GGG who make Path of Exile, it's proven to be a system that works for the developers to have a constant revenue stream without the need for big money publishers. They owe nothing to anybody but their playerbase.

You don't see this kind of system often because if your game is a turd with no staying power, your game is dead and so is your revenue.

edit: what I mean to say is that if you have publisher/AAA backing and you have microtransactions your game is trash and gently caress you for including them in a premium game

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 23, 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Oh, it's absolutely stupid and greedy, especially in a game I already bought. You're not getting $10 of in-game currency if I already paid $60 for a game that might as well be a stable open-beta.

Free to play with silly microtransactions is about as good as it's going to get.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Can we talk about how bad the microtransactions are with GTA V? Holy poo poo they are awful

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So my CoQ character has had a fungal infection on one of his arms for the past couple days. The spore defense is cool but I really want to quad-wield axes again, but I don't have a spray bottle to cure it. Unrelated to this I used the dismember attack on myself to get the auto-cannibal achievement, and it selected the fungus arm. Stupid me forgot that I have the limb regeneration mutation. I don't need fungal cures at all, I can just cut off the affected limb.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I have Shadow of War, the microtransaction poo poo is entirely avoidable, I don't even see the point since you can get good gear just from playing the game. There's basically 2 ways to buy poo poo in the market: with currency you get from just playing the game and from currency you spend real money on.

I've always had more than enough of the ingame currency. I don't bother spending it anyway since the poo poo I get from drops works just fine.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Not far in the desert, I discovered a location made up of...bookshelves. A library with no walls.

Guarded by beetles and a watervine farmer turned librarian. My, his sack was full!

So full :stare:

:stonk:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

I couldn't even shoot at them as you were always between me and them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Not far in the desert, I discovered a location made up of...bookshelves. A library with no walls.

Guarded by beetles and a watervine farmer turned librarian. My, his sack was full!

So full :stare:

:stonk:

For someone who has no idea what the gently caress you're on about this is like the insane fevered diary someone who died slowly left behind

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vasudus posted:

i don't know what any of those words mean

i did not play shadow of mordor

get shadow of mordor then

shadow of war is the same game but done better

or wait for a sale

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

also bought caves of qud, I finally got the idea down on how the game works

mutants for life

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Vasudus posted:

You don't need to buy a single crate to play or even beat the game. The only reason people were losing their poo poo was in the post-story bit of the game, you are defending and attacking fortresses and need to hire good level orcs to do this. Buying crates is a means of getting instant high level orcs instead of just... playing the game at your own pace and cultivating your orc army based on which orc has the coolest features or personality but no that's not that the youtube people do no I must beat this immediately right now and not get a single moment of fun from it so I can poo poo on it non stop!!!

It's seriously a non-issue.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Can we talk about how bad the microtransactions are with GTA V? Holy poo poo they are awful

This on the other hand is for the latest DLC alone.

:cripes:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I'll just play my modded lspdfr version intermixed with ets/ats/fo:nv/fo4/witcher and what ever else tickles my fancy

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

For someone who has no idea what the gently caress you're on about this is like the insane fevered diary someone who died slowly left behind

a farmer turned librarian turned serial killer turned limbs/blood collector.

also blood is a liquid you can get in the game, mix with sap and get sugary blood. it does nothing, it only makes the blood more sweeter when you drink it and bathe in it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Third World Reggin posted:

get shadow of mordor then

shadow of war is the same game but done better

or wait for a sale

Shadow of Mordor is fun as hell. One of these days I'll pick up the sequel, but I have too many games to play as much as they deserve.

Edit: HDI found out the hard way that in 7 Days to Die you can drink blood bags. Also that you can eat glass and it does a fair amount of damage. The blood was awesome, he accidentally used the wrong item and just yelled "Oh god, no! (start voice tinged with regret) I just drank a blood bag."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

a farmer turned librarian turned serial killer turned limbs/blood collector.

also blood is a liquid you can get in the game, mix with sap and get sugary blood. it does nothing, it only makes the blood more sweeter when you drink it and bathe in it.

You can also get containers of "neutron flux", ie antimatter. Pouring it out on the ground gets you an achievement. I discovered this the hard way.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I couldn't even shoot at them as you were always between me and them.

That never stops mare or pest or anyone else!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Flying cars? CHECK!
Bad nades? CHECK!
Banana suits in fog? CHECK!
Bad playing? OH HELLS loving YES CHECK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmfJUe5bGc

edit : oh and have 5 minutes of sitting around while someone else wins for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4O-DzMKN5U

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Y'all need to get into Bomber Crew TFR are doing a let's play of it and it's amazing https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838210

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So that's what happened. You knocked one out of the Dacia early, so three survived the crash...not zero. And the guy we ran 3 bldgs over to kill came from the UAZ (that's why I was confused about how he got so far away from the Dacia). Had no idea about ANY of that. :/

Edit: I really hate this gaming trend of Duplo-looking artwork.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Y'all need to get into Bomber Crew TFR are doing a let's play of it and it's amazing https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838210

Self-loathing German, reporting in

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Oh good, I was hoping this game would be worth a buy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I like this game

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The hour of Shadow of War that I've played so far seems pretty cool!

I have absolutely no idea what is going on but I'm running around killing dudes with a sword and sometimes a spooky ghost helps???

And for some reason a gigantic spider demon thing turned into a lady and now she has my cock ring.

For a game with a lot of cutscenes they sure as gently caress don't explain anything.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Don't worry you basically have the gist of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I have absolutely no idea what is going on but I'm running around killing dudes with a sword and sometimes a spooky ghost helps???

And for some reason a gigantic spider demon thing turned into a lady and now she has my cock ring.

For a game with a lot of cutscenes they sure as gently caress don't explain anything.

The first one did. For reasons I can't remember, you got merged with an elf badass' soul and he can do cool poo poo.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Vasudus posted:

Play it until you get to Act IV then YouTube the “true ending.”

Act IV is just a grindy, boring shitfest.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hello. It is me. The winged mutant with a water recycling suit who shoots fire from his hands. Also part tree so gently caress food. Now let me explore everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

Hello. It is me. The winged mutant with a water recycling suit who shoots fire from his hands. Also part tree so gently caress food. Now let me explore everything.

Enjoy your horrible death!