Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

wooger posted:

No, it appears formulaic and flawed at first, but gets better over the season, and ends with a much more promising premise for the future plot.

It's no "The OA", but it'll do.

I'll check out The OA too, sounds cool.

Edit: oh poo poo page first post, um Disco is a great show and also nips and stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The OA is nonsense.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Marx Headroom posted:

"Lethe" effortpost:

Vulcan suicide bomber is dumb. That's not how Vulcans roll. Pick another race or don't do it. Yeah, suicide for the greater good coming from a culture that abhors suicide is a clever twist. It was a clever twist in the 1980s when Hezbollah got started. Now it's ISIL. Lazy.

Tilly, Burnham, and Lorca fawning over Tyler for killing six Klingons is gross. Remember that part in DS9 where Quark is disgusted with humans for turning into bloodthirsty Klingons as soon as their sonic showers stop working? There's none of that self-reflection here. This show doesn't bat an eyelash, instead opts to introduce a plot point.

No seriously, compare the cafeteria scene where Tilly gushes about how many Klingons Tyler killed and rushes to introduce Burnham like Tyler is some kind of celebrity and nobody looks or feels uncomfortable and they think Tyler is kinda hot, the scene following Lorca awarding Tyler with an officer spot due to his killing prowess, compare that with the 2-minute scene I linked and think about what those two scenes are saying to the audience.

LOGIC EXTREMISTS

Yeah it's a Radical Islamic Terrorist stand-in. There's no other explanation. The goal is "Vulcan purity"? I thought their thing was "infinite diversity in infinite combinations"? Vulcans are superior to humans? Okay, in that case what reason is there to not associate with them? Do humans not associate with horses? Are these "logical extremists" isolationist? Do they resent the Federation dragging them into a war? Are these the same Vulcans who figured out how to interact with Klingons by firing first? None of this is justified even in a throwaway line. There's no coherent goal here. We shouldn't have to speculate on their motives, they should be clear, especially if they're trying to send a message with their actions. But more importantly, their motives should make sense within the context of the world. Narratives are more compelling when they're consistent, when they set down rules and follow them. The rules don't have to make sense as long as they follow them. This show doesn't follow any of the rules it sets down. It barely even sets down any rules.

There are two emblematic moments of this episode:

1. Admiral Cornwell removed her insignia before sleeping with Lorca.

2. Burnham's post-mission exchange with Lorca (paraphrasing):

BURNHAM: "Thank you. You didn't have to mount a mission for Sarek."
LORCA: "I didn't do it for him. I need a team that's going to carry the day."

This is a universe where people consistently and casually eschew morals, duty, and responsibility to satisfy immediate personal desires, and then get what they want. Burnham feels the need for revenge and starts a galactic war. Her punishment is a commission on the most advanced ship in the fleet. Saru nearly murders a sentient lifeform to assuage his personal fears about being unfit for command, and suffers no punishment. Cornwell carries on an illicit affair (why else did the show make such a big deal about her removing the Starfleet insignia?) and maintains her position, even uses it to punish Lorca. Apparently she's about to be the damsel in distress on top of it, so people are going to struggle and die to save her.

If there's a single coherent message in this mess, it's that pursuing your own self-interest at the expense of others is inconsequential and more often pays off. It pays lip service to Starfleet ethics and the assumed empathy of "war is bad" yet parades characters who violate those rules without consequence and empowers them in times of war (see: Tyler getting promotions and flirty looks for killing Klingons, Lorca doing whatever he wants to "end the war" and keeping his ship, Burnham stomping all over everything and receiving prized heirlooms from her peace-loving captain, who died by the way). It says one thing and does another. It shows the opposite of what it tells. It's a lie.

This sucks. I'm bailing on this series.

I feel like you might have deliberately read everything wrong.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Edit: oh poo poo page first post, um Disco is a great show and also nips and stuff!
Don't watch The OA. It might be the worst show ever put out by Netflix.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The OA is awful, and teases you from the beginning that its going to be more interesting than it ever comes close to being.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

The OA is a really polarising show. People tend to either love it or hate it. But give it a chance.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

xerxus posted:

I feel like you might have deliberately read everything wrong.

What's up with their reading? It seems pretty on the nose to me.

I think when people are saying it's Grimdark they're saying that normally star trek is much jollier than this. I'm not saying the show has to be the Orville but DS9 managed to do a serial show and not have everything be opressive and unpleasant. I like the characters and don't understand people saying Tilly or Burnham are horrible, but the atmosphere of the show feels like the Enterprise on "Yesterday's Enterprise".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So what if, instead of being destroyed in the war, Lorca blew up the Buran and escaped because the crew tried to mutiny? I mean, it is highly unusual that our overly-militaristic and unhinged captain was somehow the only survivor.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

So what if, instead of being destroyed in the war, Lorca blew up the Buran and escaped because the crew tried to mutiny? I mean, it is highly unusual that our overly-militaristic and unhinged captain was somehow the only survivor.

It bothers me that Tyler didn't at least ask about that. The situation where only the captain escapes and blows up the ship as well seems so insane that you'd HAVE to ask something.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jean-Lorca, blow up the drat ship!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3RNsZvdYZQ

spidjod
May 15, 2003

Justice!

Marx Headroom posted:

"Lethe" effortpost:

Vulcan suicide bomber is dumb. That's not how Vulcans roll. Pick another race or don't do it. Yeah, suicide for the greater good coming from a culture that abhors suicide is a clever twist. It was a clever twist in the 1980s when Hezbollah got started. Now it's ISIL. Lazy.

Tilly, Burnham, and Lorca fawning over Tyler for killing six Klingons is gross. Remember that part in DS9 where Quark is disgusted with humans for turning into bloodthirsty Klingons as soon as their sonic showers stop working? There's none of that self-reflection here. This show doesn't bat an eyelash, instead opts to introduce a plot point.

No seriously, compare the cafeteria scene where Tilly gushes about how many Klingons Tyler killed and rushes to introduce Burnham like Tyler is some kind of celebrity and nobody looks or feels uncomfortable and they think Tyler is kinda hot, the scene following Lorca awarding Tyler with an officer spot due to his killing prowess, compare that with the 2-minute scene I linked and think about what those two scenes are saying to the audience.

LOGIC EXTREMISTS

Yeah it's a Radical Islamic Terrorist stand-in. There's no other explanation. The goal is "Vulcan purity"? I thought their thing was "infinite diversity in infinite combinations"? Vulcans are superior to humans? Okay, in that case what reason is there to not associate with them? Do humans not associate with horses? Are these "logical extremists" isolationist? Do they resent the Federation dragging them into a war? Are these the same Vulcans who figured out how to interact with Klingons by firing first? None of this is justified even in a throwaway line. There's no coherent goal here. We shouldn't have to speculate on their motives, they should be clear, especially if they're trying to send a message with their actions. But more importantly, their motives should make sense within the context of the world. Narratives are more compelling when they're consistent, when they set down rules and follow them. The rules don't have to make sense as long as they follow them. This show doesn't follow any of the rules it sets down. It barely even sets down any rules.

There are two emblematic moments of this episode:

1. Admiral Cornwell removed her insignia before sleeping with Lorca.

2. Burnham's post-mission exchange with Lorca (paraphrasing):

BURNHAM: "Thank you. You didn't have to mount a mission for Sarek."
LORCA: "I didn't do it for him. I need a team that's going to carry the day."

This is a universe where people consistently and casually eschew morals, duty, and responsibility to satisfy immediate personal desires, and then get what they want. Burnham feels the need for revenge and starts a galactic war. Her punishment is a commission on the most advanced ship in the fleet. Saru nearly murders a sentient lifeform to assuage his personal fears about being unfit for command, and suffers no punishment. Cornwell carries on an illicit affair (why else did the show make such a big deal about her removing the Starfleet insignia?) and maintains her position, even uses it to punish Lorca. Apparently she's about to be the damsel in distress on top of it, so people are going to struggle and die to save her.

If there's a single coherent message in this mess, it's that pursuing your own self-interest at the expense of others is inconsequential and more often pays off. It pays lip service to Starfleet ethics and the assumed empathy of "war is bad" yet parades characters who violate those rules without consequence and empowers them in times of war (see: Tyler getting promotions and flirty looks for killing Klingons, Lorca doing whatever he wants to "end the war" and keeping his ship, Burnham stomping all over everything and receiving prized heirlooms from her peace-loving captain, who died by the way). It says one thing and does another. It shows the opposite of what it tells. It's a lie.

This sucks. I'm bailing on this series.

I honestly dont understand how people cant see the overall ‘federation is in a dark place and finds its way’ story developing.

I mean, theres a clue in the name of the show and everything.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

spidjod posted:

I honestly dont understand how people cant see the overall ‘federation is in a dark place and finds its way’ story developing.

I mean, theres a clue in the name of the show and everything.

The show isn't giving us that idea though because all we ever see is the Discovery. There are no fleet engagements, there are no other ships. There's JUST discovery.
Maybe if we saw more. DS9 makes the war feel "real" but Discovery so far really hasn't.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grand Fromage posted:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Taear posted:

The show isn't giving us that idea though because all we ever see is the Discovery. There are no fleet engagements, there are no other ships. There's JUST discovery.
Maybe if we saw more. DS9 makes the war feel "real" but Discovery so far really hasn't.

We have seen a fleet engagement and pretty sure we have seen other ships and were on board of other ships.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Decius posted:

We have seen a fleet engagement and pretty sure we have seen other ships and were on board of other ships.

Only in the first two episodes. When the war started. We've not had anything since then - unless you count the totally deserted Glen.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Taear posted:

Five episodes ago there was a big space battle with a ton of different ship configurations. Like three-four episodes ago we saw the Glenn, and this week's episode has the Admiral show up in her cruiser (that we never see but I'm just gonna headcanon that it's a Constitution-class).

It's a really dumb metric to judge a show by that is literally only 6 episodes in.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hey! I've got something important to ask! Has anyone called this show Space Orc: Discovery yet? Very important.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It is kind of weird how it's been basically a bottle series so far. There are no strange new worlds or new life and new civilizations. No one has boldly gone anywhere.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Grand Fromage posted:

No one has boldly gone anywhere.

I think the experimental instantaneous jumping with a brand new drive is the definition of that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't watch The OA. It might be the worst show ever put out by Netflix.

I watched the first episode but when when the OA tells the teacher who is saying the bully student should be kicked out of school for destroying another kids throat that isn't it her job to teach all students, and the Teacher turns around and goes "oh yes it is, this incredibly violent criminal shouldn't be punished" I was like "gently caress you show", and realized the show was basically condoning bullying

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

Stamets is being kinda super cheerful / positive for once, I'm inclined to agree with Lorca, doing time in the mushroom flow has certainly mellowed him out.

Space psilocybin will do that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Drone posted:

Five episodes ago there was a big space battle with a ton of different ship configurations. Like three-four episodes ago we saw the Glenn, and this week's episode has the Admiral show up in her cruiser (that we never see but I'm just gonna headcanon that it's a Constitution-class).

It's a really dumb metric to judge a show by that is literally only 6 episodes in.

Five episodes ago the war started and that's at LEAST six months ago.
If people are saying this show is representing the Federation's ideals falling apart because the war is cutting so deeply then at least show it. Because they definitely haven't done that so far. It's six episodes in yes but it's six episodes of showing the effects of something we haven't actually seen at all.

If you're going to make the captain evil but give him tons of leeway to be evil then show us why he's allowed to do this. The federation is on the verge of defeat in DS9 but they still wouldn't have let Sisko get away with what he does in "In The Pale Moonlight" if they had found out.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Taear posted:

What's up with their reading? It seems pretty on the nose to me.

Well, for starters, it is necessarily assuming that we're supposed to be looking at Lorca's decisions on the Discovery as good things. Even though the show cannot scream aloud enough on it's own that Lorca is super hosed up and is not doing good things.

It may seem obvious, but this is kinda the rub for a lot of people when it comes to Star Trek I guess. The other series's usually started out in a hopeful tone (or closer to it than Discovery has), and while Discovery is sending clear messages that some things are wrong, it isn't giving us a clear message about what direction it'll go. And that's, apparently, problematic when it's the plot for an ongoing season. If you were to take a plot about infiltrating the ship of a corrupt federation captain into TNG, it would be at most a 2-parter; with DIS it is the first season in which we are getting acquainted with the characters.

This is why I think DIS is going to be difficult to judge until we get closer and closer to the ending of the arc to know where it really stands. It really really is making it super obvious Lorca is evil, but it doesn't feel like it's in any rush to get to that resolution to let us know. You have to argue on either side about how clear the writers are making it out to be, which is a bad argument because it's clear the writing doesn't care much about what Star Trek expectations we have.

Grand Fromage posted:

It is kind of weird how it's been basically a bottle series so far. There are no strange new worlds or new life and new civilizations. No one has boldly gone anywhere.

Well, they did have the plot about the Tardigrade. It wasn't exactly new life, but it was a plotline about trying to understand the organisms new powers and behaviors and turn that into a lesson about setting it free. It's not strictly a new life plot, but it pretty much was set up like one.

That said, yes of course I'd agree that it's more focused on the serialized plot than normal exploratory plots that we want to see. And it'd be nice to have more of those elements sprinkled in.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ventana posted:

Well, for starters, it is necessarily assuming that we're supposed to be looking at Lorca's decisions on the Discovery as good things. Even though the show cannot scream aloud enough on it's own that Lorca is super hosed up and is not doing good things.

I don't agree that the reading is saying what Lorca/Burnham/etc do is good.
I'm reading it through the lense that I'm viewing the show. That is we're seeing all these people do bad stuff because they "have to" but the show isn't showing us why they have to.

We've seen serialised Trek in much of what happens in DS9 and I guess what I was expecting was stuff like that. If someone goes against Federation morality give us a proper idea why. And "Well actually he's from the mirror universe" is a boring poo poo reason. Maybe if he was from the post TOS mirror universe where Klingons opress their people, but just "He's an evil guy because he's from the evil world"? Meh.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think the experimental instantaneous jumping with a brand new drive is the definition of that.

Except its like using a warp drive to go to the 7-11 down the block. The spore drive really barely exists as far as what its enabled the show to do, they're just jumping around to battles and existing colonies to save. They have this fancy stuff but they're just using it to run errands.

Now, I don't think the show needs to do this, and if they're giving us a straight star trek war show (they should have done the romulan war), it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I just don't don't think the drive itself is an argument against someones view that they don't feel theres any exploration/adventure to it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tom Guycot posted:

Except its like using a warp drive to go to the 7-11 down the block. The spore drive really barely exists as far as what its enabled the show to do, they're just jumping around to battles and existing colonies to save. They have this fancy stuff but they're just using it to run errands.

Now, I don't think the show needs to do this, and if they're giving us a straight star trek war show (they should have done the romulan war), it wouldn't make a lot of sense. I just don't don't think the drive itself is an argument against someones view that they don't feel theres any exploration/adventure to it.

That part is really confusing. If I was Lorca, I'd load up on bombs, and just jump between Klingon outposts, blowing them to smithereens before they knew what hit them. You'd think a teleporting space ship could basically instantly win the war.

Also, I think it's ultimately uninteresting whether the show considers Lorca evil because he clearly is. I want to know how he got this far. What went wrong with the federation?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

And More posted:

That part is really confusing. If I was Lorca, I'd load up on bombs, and just jump between Klingon outposts, blowing them to smithereens before they knew what hit them. You'd think a teleporting space ship could basically instantly win the war.

Yeah this is whats disappointed me about the spore drive. I don't give a poo poo how it works its no sillier than a million trek things, but they wrote themselves into a corner. They have this almost magical tech, yet every single instance of its use could have been done with a regular warp drive as far as the plot is concerned. Instant travel wasn't necessary to do any of their plots. Use the dang drive.

Show us it doing impossible things like you just said, show them leaping to a dozen klingon worlds across the quadrant and bombing them all within minutes. Have them setup a shipyard making more spore drives on the far end of the delta quadrant where they know klingons can never reach (maybe at some point the complex just goes dark without explanation, the implication being the borg absorbed it and maybe thats where they got their faster than warp stuff?). Heck in season 2 have them go to the Andromeda galaxy and see some truly new things. Have them do amazing things no other ship we've seen in 60 years of star trek can do.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah this is whats disappointed me about the spore drive. I don't give a poo poo how it works its no sillier than a million trek things, but they wrote themselves into a corner. They have this almost magical tech, yet every single instance of its use could have been done with a regular warp drive as far as the plot is concerned. Instant travel wasn't necessary to do any of their plots. Use the dang drive.

I thought that everyone was too far away from the dilithium mines at warp, despite that being dumb, so they spored on over.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Here's a question, what does anyone else on the ship think about the fact that Burnham and Tilly set the tardigrade free completely on their own initiative? Who even knows that they did this?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah this is whats disappointed me about the spore drive. I don't give a poo poo how it works its no sillier than a million trek things, but they wrote themselves into a corner. They have this almost magical tech, yet every single instance of its use could have been done with a regular warp drive as far as the plot is concerned. Instant travel wasn't necessary to do any of their plots.

This is part of what I'm getting at. There's a big war and we have a ship that can teleport whenever wherever and yet we've not really seen poo poo.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

I'm..rather partial to the brand of scotch they were drinking....

Apologies if this has joke has been made many times in the 5 pages ahead of this post but...

...So was :aatrek:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Georgia Peach posted:

I thought that everyone was too far away from the dilithium mines at warp, despite that being dumb, so they spored on over.

Right, I mean they've used it, but that same storyline of racing to save a dilithium mine could have been done in TNG without any changes but a couple lines of technobabble. The warp core isn't working, geordie needs to get it fixed because they're running out of time, etc etc.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

skasion posted:

Here's a question, what does anyone else on the ship think about the fact that Burnham and Tilly set the tardigrade free completely on their own initiative? Who even knows that they did this?

:iiam: Maybe that's an alternate timeline where the Mirror guy lives. It makes as much sense.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chop Sunni posted:

Apologies if this has joke has been made many times in the 5 pages ahead of this post but...

...So was :aatrek:

It's a fictional brand that was Miles O'Brien's fave.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess it’s not impossible that this Lorca is actually from the Mirror Universe and the real one died on the Buran. That weird brand could be from the various awful punishments that Terran Empire crewmen deal with frequently.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

And More posted:

Also, I think it's ultimately uninteresting whether the show considers Lorca evil because he clearly is. I want to know how he got this far. What went wrong with the federation?

I'm starting to think that instead of wasting two episodes on Burnham on the Shenzhou, we should have gotten an episode or two of Lorca on the Buran. Seeing him as a functional officer with a crew he cares about would have made the change in him mean something, rather than just being told he's different.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

I'm starting to think that instead of wasting two episodes on Burnham on the Shenzhou, we should have gotten an episode or two of Lorca on the Buran. Seeing him as a functional officer with a crew he cares about would have made the change in him mean something, rather than just being told he's different.

He would be the main character then, though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Taear posted:

I don't agree that the reading is saying what Lorca/Burnham/etc do is good.
I'm reading it through the lense that I'm viewing the show. That is we're seeing all these people do bad stuff because they "have to" but the show isn't showing us why they have to.

I don't know what to say other than breaking down that last paragraph of his post for you. His objections at the end were not really statements about inability to decipher what the characters were thinking. They were about characters eschewing morals and ethics (and getting rewarded for that) when those are presented and is (supposedly) the end goal for this series.

Your objections seem to be about not being satisfied with the presentation of the context of the show; wanting more detail in the scenarios, more nuance in the decisions, maybe more technobabble to explain away why the plot has to be precisely this arbitrary scenario as other Star Treks did all the time. This all fits in with his complaints about Logic Extremists, but the rest of his post is about what I wrote above.

Taear posted:

We've seen serialised Trek in much of what happens in DS9 and I guess what I was expecting was stuff like that. If someone goes against Federation morality give us a proper idea why.

Eh, again I have to repeat that this is part of the difficulty with serialization. Characters will sometimes have, either partly or entirely, motivations and backstory drawn out over the course of the series, something true in DS9 as well (as well as other Trek shows). Discovery is doing it in a less interesting way that is certainly more frustrating, but we can't say for sure that the series is not going to address stuff like in the future.

While I have my own issues with the show, I don't particularly feel any problem with the War context or Lorca's decisions in it so far. I do feel like the angle is being squandered with the little we've seen so far, but again that's not entirely fair when we are still very early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It has been mentioned that the Discovery was doing all these attacks / defending outposts because of the spore drive. They even used the drive to defend the mining outpost on time because no other ship could have made it.

So yea the instant travel was necessary.