Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what was the one where luke went of with the crazy force lady to try to find his mom and then got some bullshit inconclusive answer. that was retconed by the prequels

EDIT. holy poo poo was reading about it and it decends it to abeloth teritory. why was abeloth a thing again?

also been listning to more of the anthology. a few mixed ones and one or 2 thuds but i like 3 of them.

first one was by will wheton who i have never really cared for but he actually wrote a pretty gut punching story.

second was about tagge and the whole conference room scene and it puts a interesting light on the whole imperial stuff.

3rd is the montti story, which is him righting to imperial HR because vader was forcing his religious beliefs on him and was insulting imperial personnel.

I think the best stuff in the anthology is the stuff from the trench run and yavin 4 towards the end.

I appreciate the attempt at doing them roughly chronologically but for me the Tatooine stuff dragged enormously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's a shame because the Tatooine stories start pretty strong but 14 in a row is unbearable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The star wars fetish for featureless deserts is wearing thin.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Have we ever had a featureless desert in Star Wars? Tattooine has krayt dragon skeletons, rocky canyons, moisture vaporators, etc. Jakku has giant wrecks of massive starships and those cool glowy eye worms.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Tatooine isn't that featureless, I remember chilling in it a lot in SWG.

The Dune Sea is perhaps the only bit that is quite bland to look at.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The wildly-varying characterizations of Greedo in those stories made it all worthwhile, though.

Also that crazy stormtrooper dewback fetishist

Also rent-hound Bea Arthur

Paragon8 posted:

I think the best stuff in the anthology is the stuff from the trench run and yavin 4 towards the end.

But I actually do kind of agree with this; Mon Mothma running through worst-case scenarios while escaping from Yavin was entirely my poo poo.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 25, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Crystal Star makes perfect sense if you pretend it's a 1980s Star Trek TOS Pocket Book that sat on the shelf for a decade and then got rewritten to be about Star Wars characters, instead.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

i really loved the short of the Rebel's head mechanic going through all the recent losses. Did a great job bridging Scarif and Yavin 4.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/Brandon_Bird/status/923244840250253312

That casting. :stonklol:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Wait who's Guri and Xizor?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Is...

Is that Nicolas Cage as Dash Rendar?!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is...

I think I died a little inside.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Wait who's Guri and Xizor?

Helen Hunt and... Ed Norton, I think?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Better idea than Solo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is...

Hey, 1996 through 1999 or so, Nicolas Cage was one of the biggest action stars in Hollywood.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

His career only really went in the toilet 10 years ago.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I remember, I was there.

Cage as Rendar though. Cage being in a Star Wars film. It is just...bemusing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Helen Hunt and... Ed Norton, I think?

I can't tell if that's Norton or Bruce Willis. Of course, Willis already 'appeared' as Kam Solusar in the Union comic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Paragon8 posted:

I appreciate the attempt at doing them roughly chronologically but for me the Tatooine stuff dragged enormously.

yeah it did. some of the stuff worked but the mufftack and kabe story DRAGGED espcialy since they were trying to add new twists on the spice dumping. greedo is interesting(him being a weird MRA nice guy dickhead) and han shooting first. the sand trooper story sucked rear end. i also hated the portrayal of fett. while its different and kind interesting, i dont like fett as portrayed some PMC space blackwater smart rear end dickhead, it kinda works but it makes him even less interesting. i prefer the cold ruthless professional fett.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I really quite enjoyed the one about the supervisor on the Death Star. In general, the Imperial focused ones were pretty good. Especially weird dewback obsessed Stormtrooper.

But yeah, everything on Yavin and to do with the Death Star attack was good. Though I thought the one about the Whills was intensely stupid.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is...

hell id watch it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Razor Ramonedar

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I think this broke me.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Up close guri looks less like Helen Hunt. Thank god.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's Princess Bride era Robin Wright?

(I suggest this because it was the 30th anniversary for that movie a few weeks ago and there's been a lot of retrospective reviews of it out.)

(Also because I'm bad at recognising people.)

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Are you guys not familar with pop culture memorialist and Sears historian Brandon Bird?

www.brandonbird.com

E: fixed. Mobile posting.

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 27, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Are you guys not familar with pop culture memorialist and Sears historian Brandon Bird?

www.brandonbird.com

I am not, and that link doesn't go anywhere.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Neither does his artistic future.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

504 posted:

Neither does his artistic future.

:golfclap: It was so artistically done...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Recently I heard that as much as 80% of the Han Solo might have been re-shot* with a big increase in its budget. I imagine this will at least be an interesting behind-the-scenes story when all is said and done.

* No word on who re-shot first.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine this will at least be an interesting behind-the-scenes story when all is said and done.

this being Disney I'd be shocked if we ever heard it in full

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Brace yourselves for A Bad Movie, I guess.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Disney and Lucasfilm Present
A Ron Howard Film
Han, Shot Twice

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Recently I heard that as much as 80% of the Han Solo might have been re-shot* with a big increase in its budget. I imagine this will at least be an interesting behind-the-scenes story when all is said and done.

* No word on who re-shot first.

so its probably hosed then i assume?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so its probably hosed then i assume?

If anything, this means it will be more coherent than if they tried to integrate all Lord and Miller-shot stuff.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, this should hopefully avoid any issues with odd tone changes. They'll be sticking to Kasdan's script the whole way through now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best writer for a Han Solo spin-off movie would be Shane Black. I think a Han Solo movie along the lines of Lethal Weapon or The Last Boy Scout would be great; I don't feel like that's the tone Kasdan would go for.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So would anyone here happen to know where I can find this one interview with George Lucas from back in the early '80s, where he clearly explained his then-current conception of how the Force worked? Specifically, it was something to the effect of (1) the Force is generated by and connected to all life in the galaxy (i.e. no mention of space germs) and (2) anyone can learn to use the Force with enough time, patience, and the right training.

While I remember finding that interview via some nerd news site in the lead-up to the release of The Force Awakens (it was probably one of the same sites that posted a summary of the leaked script for TFA), I didn't think to bookmark it at the time, and I haven't since been able to refind it for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Bishop posted:

So would anyone here happen to know where I can find this one interview with George Lucas from back in the early '80s, where he clearly explained his then-current conception of how the Force worked? Specifically, it was something to the effect of (1) the Force is generated by and connected to all life in the galaxy (i.e. no mention of space germs) and (2) anyone can learn to use the Force with enough time, patience, and the right training.

While I remember finding that interview via some nerd news site in the lead-up to the release of The Force Awakens (it was probably one of the same sites that posted a summary of the leaked script for TFA), I didn't think to bookmark it at the time, and I haven't since been able to refind it for anything.

it wouldnt surpirse me. lucas was all over the place with his mythos and ideas. its right before and after the prequels that he started retconing his past to make it look like it was all some master plan.