Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
99% of the time something like that is said about something it's not for any genuine concern but just because someone is second-hand embarrassed at people reading personal meaning into a story where you can find an excuse to tell them Actually, You're Wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Endorph posted:

whenever people say this is their motivation for posting, the posts always suck. this is a bad motivation for posting. it's pretty much always just 'heh, ACTUALLY, no one cares about gender/the gays and you are a fool for thinking about them, ever'

im glad for the show about the agender rocks. the agender rocks are good to me.

Except I've seen plenty of people trash shows because they did not turn out being what they were "supposed" to be. People calling Shirobako garbage because it didn't portray how bad the job conditions in the anime industry actually are. People calling all the idol shows trash for the same reason. I just feel like deciding what a show should be and then blasting it if it does not turn out to be what you wanted is dumb and only leads to disappointment, let the show be what it is and judge it based on how you like that, not based on what you imagined it would be when you read the description.

And no, I'm not saying that no one should care about LGBT issues, it's just that you should not assume that a show will be a piece of social commentary and get mad or disappointed if it isn't. I'm pretty much expecting that gender stuff will get talked about in Houseki no Kuni, but if it just ends up mostly being gem people fighting moon invaders I'm gonna judge it based on how fun that is to watch, not based on something I cooked up in my head.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean people blasting shows because they're idiots is different from watching something and getting an impression about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Except I've seen plenty of people trash shows because they did not turn out being what they were "supposed" to be. People calling Shirobako garbage because it didn't portray how bad the job conditions in the anime industry actually are. People calling all the idol shows trash for the same reason. I just feel like deciding what a show should be and then blasting it if it does not turn out to be what you wanted is dumb and only leads to disappointment, let the show be what it is and judge it based on how you like that, not based on what you imagined it would be when you read the description.

And no, I'm not saying that no one should care about LGBT issues, it's just that you should not assume that a show will be a piece of social commentary and get mad or disappointed if it isn't. I'm pretty much expecting that gender stuff will get talked about in Houseki no Kuni, but if it just ends up mostly being gem people fighting moon invaders I'm gonna judge it based on how fun that is to watch, not based on something I cooked up in my head.
i didnt read this post

the agender rocks are cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the pink haired kid in soul eater was also cool

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
blasting shirobako or idol anime for portraying the industries as things people enjoy being part of is just fundamentally not the same thing, as watching like maidragon or flip flappers or houseki no kuni or something and finding something in there to connect with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

blasting shirobako or idol anime for portraying the industries as things people enjoy being part of is just fundamentally not the same thing, as watching like maidragon or flip flappers or houseki no kuni or something and finding something in there to connect with
but dont you see its important that you know you're READING THE SHOW WRONG and if a show doesnt devote seventy-two minutes to indepth discussions of something then clearly that thing has no bearing on the show, because things like theming and subtlety dont exist

kater
Nov 16, 2010

You don't need to include a grand treatise on whatever to make something that is approachable and comfortable.

Oh look that was already said. Like it's not wrong that people can set themselves up for disappointment I guess, I just don't think anyone has done that and also think the rocks show has done enough already that someone appreciating it isn't bizarre.

kater fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 25, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Someone post the webm of Kukuri going kyaa and running away from Nike, it's literally the cutest thing ever animated.

It's a very good show.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sigh... Guru Guru is pretty good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

looking at this shot is like playing darkseed, what the gently caress is going on with the perspective

They parked the van on a patch of grass at a 45 degree angle I guess.

Also Guru Guru owns and is really sweet, and I'm sad I had to drop it because I didn't have the time to keep watching it, but I'll go back to it when it's over.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would say that there's no need to preemptively shoot down people putting hope in the gender angle of Lustrous, especially if you are someone who hasn't read the manga to know how that stuff turns out. it actually seems totally useless and stifling of other people's joy/interest. let the bad takes roll in at the end of the season and then you can dissect whether people are being fair about their criticism, instead of basically assuming they are wrong based on... nothing?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

i didnt read this post

gently caress off with this poo poo. going nener nener i cant hear you about a post, especially when half the things hes talking about are poo poo you've whined about before

and maybe if hideous cgi steven universe series didn't want people to address the rocks with she they shouldn't just have drawn a bunch of girls, give the lot of them female vas and added worlds most stereotypical big bald man to round out the cast

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
*crushes vince to death w rock hard boulder*

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I think this idea that you need to have an author self insert turn to the screen and monologue what their exact intent was to make any meaningful interpretation of a piece of fiction, besides being dumb because it ignores that all media is full of author inserted subtext (except like garfield maybe idk man) is just a totally boring, useless dead end way to engage with art. I wanna watch the show tomorrow so maybe I'll make more of a post about it then.
I also think your extreme concern that people shouldn't relate to the show in this way or (any way?) that hasn't been author word of god sanctioned because they might get mad about it later or something is pretty weird and silly

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Davincie posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. going nener nener i cant hear you about a post, especially when half the things hes talking about are poo poo you've whined about before

and maybe if hideous cgi steven universe series didn't want people to address the rocks with she they shouldn't just have drawn a bunch of girls, give the lot of them female vas and added worlds most stereotypical big bald man to round out the cast

i didnt read this post

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Davincie is right and Endorph is just being an rear end in a top hat because she's already decided she doesn't like AVeryLargeRaddish.

Endorph posted:

the pink haired kid in soul eater was also cool

This is correct though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

Finally someone gets what I was trying to say abt this show.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just destroyed Gender. Mad? I hope so.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gender has been shattered into a billion pieces and then melted into a snail's juices.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love to drink the genderfluid

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the agender rock show is really good and I like that rocks are agender

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Moltrey posted:

i love to drink the genderfluid

https://twitter.com/merrittk/status/523317062639562752

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Finally someone gets what I was trying to say abt this show.

You're not alone brother

the idea that someone could have long hair and wear long socks and not be a girl completely breaks my brain too

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i definitely did not expect any of this discourse when the anime was announced

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oh! excuse me

[ahem]

i love to drink cum

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just because the thread exploded doesn't mean the laws of reality bent to make viggynash right about something

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

You're not alone brother

the idea that someone could have long hair and wear long socks and not be a girl completely breaks my brain too

Same, but in the good way.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle posted:

i definitely did not expect any of this discourse when the anime was announced

goons find a way

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

an actual dog posted:

the agender rock show is really good and I like that rocks are agender

You might say it... rocks? :cool:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

it DOES :coal:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The_White_Crane posted:

HEY. HEY. THAT WAS AN OROGINAL IDEA DO NKT STRAL.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There is a thread for it you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm incredibly fascinated by Houseki no Kuni's world and characters and its gorgeous use of CG, but I wanna cool off from following too many things at once since I was following nearly half a dozen things last season. Maybe I'll binge watch it in the future once it's over

• Locked thread