Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I tried Josta once and only once. 😝

Jolt, Surge and Pepsi Blue were good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my god I was just talking to my boss about Josta today, what are the odds

Man, if they could bring Surge back, they should bring Josta back.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Speaking of ok soda I Rember it tasting like when you mixed all the different fountain pops together. Some kids claimed that's what it actually was.

One kid at my school, when buying a can from the pop machine, got a case instead containing an OK soda hat and enough money to buy another pop.

I wonder know if he was just bullshitting any ever hear of something like that.

In the 90's, I once had the same thing happen when I bought a Pepsi. It was a shirt instead of a hat, though.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

ZDar Fan posted:

In the 90's, I once had the same thing happen when I bought a Pepsi. It was a shirt instead of a hat, though.

I'm really surprised to learn that hiding prizes inside soda cans was still a thing after the Magic-can fiasco.

E: Enjoy the incredibly 90's commercial.

Rahonavis has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Oct 24, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rahonavis posted:

I'm really surprised to learn that hiding prizes inside soda cans was still a thing after the Magic-can fiasco.

Why was it a fiasco?

Also, why do I remember that commercial so well, when I had to spend ten minutes looking for my wallet this morning? :ohdear:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Why was it a fiasco?
They shipped out hundreds of thousands of cans filled with fart water, of which around 1 in 100 leaked and soaked the prize with fart water instead of popping it up dry. This was back when people believed that D&D promoted satanism and people stuck needles and razors in Halloween candy, so you can imagine how well it went over when people started getting sips of it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GWBBQ posted:

They shipped out hundreds of thousands of cans filled with fart water, of which around 1 in 100 leaked and soaked the prize with fart water instead of popping it up dry. This was back when people believed that D&D promoted satanism and people stuck needles and razors in Halloween candy, so you can imagine how well it went over when people started getting sips of it.

lol holy poo poo

The only legit poisoned Halloween candy thing I know was in Texas, and it was the child's father, who wanted insurance money. (this being Texas, they executed the father, of course)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Rahonavis posted:

quote:

Pre-campaign promotions also involved circulating paper cups with prize stickers on them at various fast-food chains and giving away free tickets to see New Kids On The Block who Coke spent a pretty penny sponsoring to perform a string of concerts throughout the summer… in case you forgot that this campaign happened in the 1990s.
hahahahaahah holy crap

fake edit: although less funny since apparently it was during their popularity and I'd thought they were strictly late 80's.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryonguy posted:

hahahahaahah holy crap

fake edit: although less funny since apparently it was during their popularity and I'd thought they were strictly late 80's.

From my hazy memories, 1990 seemed to be the peak year of NKOTB.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Caught a glimpse of an old music video with a guy with this style of haircut. Every other boy in middle school had this haircut.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ah, the classic middlepart mushroom cut:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

lol holy poo poo

The only legit poisoned Halloween candy thing I know was in Texas, and it was the child's father, who wanted insurance money. (this being Texas, they executed the father, of course)

Killer Legends owns, but Cropsy is better IMHO

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Killer Legends owns, but Cropsy is better IMHO

What? It's not a legend, that happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Clark_O%27Bryan

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Speaking of Soda marketing gimmicks that backfired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdackF2H7Qc

John Leonard never did get his Harrier jet.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Caught a glimpse of an old music video with a guy with this style of haircut. Every other boy in middle school had this haircut.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RC and Moon Pie posted:

God, that was THE haircut I gave most of the guys when I did Original Art do not steal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Imma be honest, one of my friends in middle school had this cut and I was jealous.

High school was all spiked fronts and frosted tips.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
*hands the barber a rasterized picture of Trunks from DBZ*

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Imma be honest, one of my friends in middle school had this cut and I was jealous.

High school was all spiked fronts and frosted tips.

Blue steel

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Killer Legends and Cropsy are both documentaries about the truth behind urban legends.

I know, that was one of the urban legends that was featured in "Killer Legends."

I think both of them are still up on both Hulu and Netflix.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pepsi points reminds me of that guy who tried to redeem something like several million Lean Cuisine Frequent Flyer miles and had to sue to get them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like one of the biggest movie trends in the 90s was crime movies with hitmen who quipped at each other and heists that go wrong; I'm not sure if it started after Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction but if they weren't actually written by Quentin Tarantino or Shane Black they were definitely trying to ape them.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

Killer Legends and Cropsy are both documentaries about the truth behind urban legends.

I know, that was one of the urban legends that was featured in "Killer Legends."

I think both of them are still up on both Hulu and Netflix.

Oh, my mistake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like one of the biggest movie trends in the 90s was crime movies with hitmen who quipped at each other and heists that go wrong; I'm not sure if it started after Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction but if they weren't actually written by Quentin Tarantino or Shane Black they were definitely trying to ape them.

I remember watching Blue Streak like 6 times when I was a teenager.

And I watched Kung Pow like literally 30 times. My friends and I would just put it on in the background when playing games like non loving stop. I guess because it was fully of stupid jokes and you didn't really need to follow the plot at all.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember watching Blue Streak like 6 times when I was a teenager.

And I watched Kung Pow like literally 30 times. My friends and I would just put it on in the background when playing games like non loving stop. I guess because it was fully of stupid jokes and you didn't really need to follow the plot at all.

"THAT'S A LOT OF NUTS!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Randaconda posted:

"THAT'S A LOT OF NUTS!"

Its infinitely quotable.

"That's when I learned... metal claws hurt like crap, man!!!"

oh oh oh

"And then he told me of the significance"
<flashback>
"It will be.... significant."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Neito posted:

Pepsi points reminds me of that guy who tried to redeem something like several million Lean Cuisine Frequent Flyer miles and had to sue to get them.

The pudding guy? He just straight up got them, no lawsuit.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

If it didn't have the CG cow fight it would be the most flawless comedy ever made.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

davidspackage posted:

If it didn't have the CG cow fight it would be the most flawless comedy ever made.

I like that part.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Neito posted:

My friend in middle school would collect the chip bags from the cafeteria from everyone and have his grandmother cut out absolutely loving tons of Ploids (Planet Lunch... pointoids? I guess?) every single day after school. He amassed a staggeringly huge amount, his grandmother cut every single one out, then they just went in a plastic bag and were never redeemed for anything ever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Its infinitely quotable.

"That's when I learned... metal claws hurt like crap, man!!!"

oh oh oh

"And then he told me of the significance"
<flashback>
"It will be.... significant."

"WeeeYOOOOOOOO!"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

HOW ABOUT A CARBONATED SODA

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I quote Wimp-Lo stuff all the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rough Lobster posted:

I quote Wimp-Lo stuff all the time.

You must excuse Wimp-Lo; he is an idiot.

We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i am bleeding

making me the victor

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

All this soda chat makes me thankful that I'm only 30 or so minutes away from Pops.

http://www.pops66.com/soda-ranch/

I've bought Jolt there and Moxie! It's a giant sodatorium where they stock hundreds upon hundreds of different sodas. They even have Bawls, which I hadn't had in years and was unaware it was even being made anymore. The link I posted is their menu of sodas and i bet you'll find something you thought was discontinued or only regional. Fuckin love Pops. Gonna go tomorrow. gently caress it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i am bleeding

making me the victor

How do you like my face to your foot style?

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Lol I had this cut and my grandpa, who was a candy salesman from the 50s-90s and always a very slick dresser, gave me a disgusted face and told me that he wouldn't comb a cat's hair that way.

Mr. Spaghoot
Aug 3, 2017
Hey old folks;
I was born in 1999, but I caught the tail end of this asthetic from my uncles.
I do remember Invader Zim looking and feeling very unique for the longest time, until last night when I watched it again after 5 years.

It was still good, but It wasn't as unique as I had thought it was. Maybe for a children's show it was, but It definitely had that Hackers/X-files/Sliders/Nintendo 64/Matrix/Stargate/Goth stank to it.

What do you think separates the 90s from the 2000s, stylistically? Edgy darkness was a common theme i think for both decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Spaghoot posted:

Hey old folks;
I was born in 1999, but I caught the tail end of this asthetic from my uncles.
I do remember Invader Zim looking and feeling very unique for the longest time, until last night when I watched it again after 5 years.

It was still good, but It wasn't as unique as I had thought it was. Maybe for a children's show it was, but It definitely had that Hackers/X-files/Sliders/Nintendo 64/Matrix/Stargate/Goth stank to it.

What do you think separates the 90s from the 2000s, stylistically? Edgy darkness was a common theme i think for both decades.

The exact line separating the two was The Matrix.