Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

No they don't, they refused to refund one of the games, because it ran in the background when I closed it instead of shutting down, Valve is still anti-consumer af.

I can understand the frustration in that situation, but it's still not Valve's fault. That is the developer's fault. The refund policy is extremely strict on a under two hours of run time. Game launchers will count in steam as the game running, even if it's like a multi-game launcher. I've had games that crash, but the exe is still running in the background. Requiring me to kill the exe with Task Manager. Again, a game crashing and the exe still running is a developer/Windows issue, not Steam's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cool, Valve not providing refunds because a game is too lovely to even exit gracefully is just totally okay guys, there's nothing they can do!!!

VVV ah that's better then

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 25, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ohgodwhat posted:

Cool, Valve not providing refunds because a game is too lovely to even exit gracefully is just totally okay guys, there's nothing they can do!!!

Valve will give out refunds if other users are complaining about it as well, but usually not for a one off.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lungboy posted:

Same but Asrock's x299 itx board.

That board is quite a nice bit of engineering. :prepop:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Valve's new policy is still illegal by Australian standards, so over here at least we should be seeing some changes, at least once Valve's case finishes moving through the courts.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Stanley Pain posted:

That board is quite a nice bit of engineering. :prepop:

It's lucky for my marriage that it's Skylake-X only or I'd be sorely tempted.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any official read on when Coffee Lake-S Xeons might be coming down the pipe? Or any guesses?

(guessing not until next year at least)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Lord Bude posted:

Valve's new policy is still illegal by Australian standards, so over here at least we should be seeing some changes, at least once Valve's case finishes moving through the courts.

That's not true, the case was about a policy from 2011-2014, and probably has a lot to do with why the current policy exists. The current policy gives you room to find the product defective (e.g. incompatible with your hardware.)

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

That's not true, the case was about a policy from 2011-2014, and probably has a lot to do with why the current policy exists. The current policy gives you room to find the product defective (e.g. incompatible with your hardware.)

It still dosnt meet australian consumer laws

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I mean, in the US good luck returning a game to Best Buy or anything if it runs slow on your computer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Scarecow posted:

It still dosnt meet australian consumer laws

You're never going to have the "I played this game for ten hours and there was this five second cutscene in the penultimate level where a character walked in a weird jittery way, so I'm declaring it defective" policy. They might force Valve out of Australia, since it looks like Origin has avoided the country as well, but I'm not sure that's a win for anyone.

How does Blizzard/battlenet do it? I'm trying to think of other platforms that do the same thing that operate there, and that's the one that springs to mind. Seems like a case where the laws aren't compatible with realities of digital distribution and software.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 25, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Craptacular! posted:

How does Blizzard/battlenet do it?

It's pretty much the same thing. Yeah, technically their posted policy is that there are no refunds (regardless of country) "except where excluded by law" or something like that. The reality is that if you contact customer support and request a refund and you've played a minimal amount (for Overwatch I think it was you had to be level 5 or under) they'll refund you your money.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Silicon Lottery just removed their Oct 31st ETA for the delidded 8700k, not a great sign for stock.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular! posted:

You're never going to have the "I played this game for ten hours and there was this five second cutscene in the penultimate level where a character walked in a weird jittery way, so I'm declaring it defective" policy. They might force Valve out of Australia, since it looks like Origin has avoided the country as well, but I'm not sure that's a win for anyone.

How does Blizzard/battlenet do it? I'm trying to think of other platforms that do the same thing that operate there, and that's the one that springs to mind. Seems like a case where the laws aren't compatible with realities of digital distribution and software.

Our brick and mortar stores have 7 day return policies

Australian consumer law is about time from purchase and reasonable expected product life. If multiplayer games go down within like a year of purchase, an Australian could make a very good argument for a refund even with like 100 hours. In reality noone is likely to do that, but its feasible, it would be taken seriously in court. Our laws are very good for consumers, sorry you live in a country where companies are allowed to treat you like dirt.

Origin definitely operates in Australia.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 26, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

underage at the vape shop posted:

Our laws are very good for consumers, sorry you live in a country where companies are allowed to treat you like dirt.

Not a problem! Sorry you live in a country where games cost 60% more and spiders bigger than my head keep nests.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The main offenders for price hikes were handed a platform to give any justification for the prices and they universally said they do it because they can. You think if they could justify it by blaming our laws, they wouldn't?

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 26, 2017

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I know what the original case was about, but the new policy is still illegal. You can’t impose a short arbitrary limit on people’s consumer rights. It’s completely illegal to tell people they only have 2 weeks or two hours of playtime before they can get a refund.

If I played an RPG for 100 hours only to find that there was some massive bug that made it impossible to finish the game, I’d be entitled to a refund.

If I bought a game that was predominantly multi player and the company decided it wasn’t popular enough and shut the servers down after a year, I’d be entitled to a refund.

If I bought a laptop and it died after a couple of years , I’d be entitled to get a refund. Warranty periods are irrelevant.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Just wanna say lol at buying into the deadly australia meme too

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Lord Bude posted:

If I played an RPG for 100 hours only to find that there was some massive bug that made it impossible to finish the game, I’d be entitled to a refund.

If I bought a game that was predominantly multi player and the company decided it wasn’t popular enough and shut the servers down after a year, I’d be entitled to a refund.

If I bought a laptop and it died after a couple of years , I’d be entitled to get a refund. Warranty periods are irrelevant.

this all sounds dumb to me tbh

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The law is that anything you are sold has to last atleast as long as a reasonable person would expect it to. If it doesnt, you're entitled to a refund or replacement. That doesnt mean i can refund my pc bevause coffeelake came out, but if I start getting ryzen seg fault issues in a year or so, I'm entitled to a new cpu.

Theres an entire organisation dedicated to protecting that right, that fines the living poo poo out of companies for breaking it. Its extremely good, companies are expressly forbidden from pulling dodgy poo poo. Its only weird because you arent used to having consumer rights.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 26, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Its only weird because you arent used to having consumer rights.
all three of the examples he used seem well beyond the 'reasonable person' standard to me, but ok sure

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The reasonable person test makes things murky. The organisation in question has guidelines on how long things should be expected to last. It takes into consideration things like price, brand reputation, etc - ie a reasonable person would expect a flagship samsung TV to last longer than an off brand chinese tv they bought from a discount store for $100. A macbook should reasonably last longer than a $300 laptop. It's not restricted to the length of the manufacturer's warranty though. (which is why stores selling extended warranties are basically running a scam - they don't offer you anything you aren't already entitled to). Extended warranties have been the subject of investigations here, and you don't encounter pushy sales people trying to force them on you nearly as often here. Companies are also required to cover your shipping costs for any refunds or exchanges that fall under consumer protection law, if the store isn't located within reasonable distance of you. It also protects you from dodgy salespeople. If you make a point of telling a salesperson that you need a product that can do X; but they sell you something that can't; then you're also entitled to a refund.

It works well - you don't see PC stores selling diablotek grade power supplies very often any more, because they know they'll be liable when they blow up. I bought a radeon 5970 for $700 in 2010 - when the fans on it stopped working nearly 3 years later, I got a refund, and bought a gtx 680 for $500, pocketing the difference.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Man, i forgot how much of a difference delidding makes

Prime95 on my 8700k 5ghz @ 1.280v would hit 95c

After delid 5.2ghz @ 1.380 volts maxes at 84c with latest avx loving murder rape prime95

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I was referencing that video of a lady holding a cat up to an enormous spider. I live in a city where rattlesnakes are theoretically part of the landscape, but I’ve seen zero in my 12 years here. I know the impression is overstated.

Now, Florida... gently caress, I’d rather dingos and kangaroos than gators and crazy people.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don Lapre posted:

After delid 5.2ghz @ 1.380 volts maxes at 84c with latest avx loving murder rape prime95

That's a beast of a chip

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

I've decided I'm probably not going to bother overclocking, at least for the moment (beyond the bog standard Asus motherboard all core turbo tweaks). I figure my 8600K will be good for a few years regardless, and I love that my H115i is almost inaudible at stock speeds. Even running Prime95, my cpu stays between about 58-62c; and my radiator fans stay between 35 and 45%. According to my weather app, the current ambient temperature is 29c - it's probably 1-2 degrees cooler in my bedroom; yet my cpu is idling at 32c with radiator fans at 25%. Coming from my 4770k on a noctua U12s that seems nuts to me. The noctua was clearly audible, even at idle speeds.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My noctua runs passively at idle, but on a 6600k.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I was referencing that video of a lady holding a cat up to an enormous spider. I live in a city where rattlesnakes are theoretically part of the landscape, but I’ve seen zero in my 12 years here. I know the impression is overstated.

Now, Florida... gently caress, I’d rather dingos and kangaroos than gators and crazy people.

The nice thing about having giant spiders, is that I don't have to suspend my disbelief when I play and RPG and my party travels through the inevitable spider infested cave area.

We have crocodiles in rivers and wetlands in many parts of the country, which are very close relatives of gators, and they still eat people who are too stupid to ignore the big no swimming signs. Dingos are pretty harmless unless you go out of your way to annoy them. In places like fraser island they'll practically walk right by you without giving you a second glance. Or they might come and investigate your fishing bucket. It's much like how you guys would deal with bears at camping sites and the such, except smaller and less dangerous.

Kangaroos will box you if you piss them off, but they're largely harmless, and kangaroo wildlife reserves and zoos will generally let the public pet them and hand feed them. They're also a delicious lean meat.

The one nobody talks about are magpies. These are birds that are very common throughout cities, and during nesting season they will dive bomb you as you walk or cycle through parks. They seem to take a disliking to certain people and have very good memories. On the other hand, they really like cookies, and if you have a family of them living in the vicinity of your yard, they will rapidly reach the point where they take crumbs directly from your hand, and bring their children to meet you. A few of them will wander inside to see where my grandma is if they haven't seen her for a while.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Kangaroos own, the massive buff ones at Kosciusko ate out of my hand and let me pet them after a week of camping like 20m from where they hung out.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Dont forget we have sharks and the worst offender of them all....irukandji

If ever there was a sign god hates you and wants you to die its those little cunts

"headache, backache, chestand abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, pathological sweating, severe and sudden onset anxiety, tachycardia

You also get a sense of impending doom from the stings

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_syndrome

( i really hate jellyfish)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Americans make fun of Australia being a deadly country for two reasons:
1. You guys actually managed to pull off total gun control after a mass shooting, and...
2. You're home to the most lethal wildlife in the world and shrug it off like a normal fact of life, whereas we'd probably burn down our houses and try to roll the dice on getting charged with insurance fraud if we had an infestation of medically-significant spiders. There's actually an Aussie on YouTube whose house and land are infested with thousands of Redback spiders and his solution was to keep some as pets and kill the rest with makeshift *flamethrowers*.

Okay, that's my contribution to this tangent.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

imo it sounds like americans are just really fragile snowflakes

Lungboy posted:

It's lucky for my marriage that it's Skylake-X only or I'd be sorely tempted.
I don't think the cost would be the issue there as much as it would be your taste in platforms if you actually bought it

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
What's the latest on coffee lake availability? Are they even bothering to produce more stock or was this release just a ploy to steal the spotlight from AMD?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Krycek posted:

What's the latest on coffee lake availability? Are they even bothering to produce more stock or was this release just a ploy to steal the spotlight from AMD?

They naturally get 50% less yield from a wafer than they did with Kaby Lake quads since they're still on a 14nm process, and that's before they grade them or find the duds - there are always going to be Coffee Lake shortages, it's just a matter of letting the people who ~have to have them~ get them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Scarecow posted:

Dont forget we have sharks and the worst offender of them all....irukandji

If ever there was a sign god hates you and wants you to die its those little cunts

"headache, backache, chestand abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, pathological sweating, severe and sudden onset anxiety, tachycardia

You also get a sense of impending doom from the stings

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_syndrome

( i really hate jellyfish)

Never mind them, what about that kid in melbourne(?) who went to the beach to soak his legs after school football practice and had flesh eating sea lice basically strip the flesh from his legs without him noticing?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Cygni posted:

all three of the examples he used seem well beyond the 'reasonable person' standard to me, but ok sure

all three examples seem to be a pretty reasonable case of something you've paid money breaking faster than any reasonable expectation you might have had when you bought it. stop white knighting multi-billion-dollar corporations

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The combination of Intel processors and Australian wildlife is the best chat.

"So, how much for an 8700K right now?"
"...you'll actually feel the muscle ripped from your bone."

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well at least intel is in no rush to make them. I mean mine is made mid July and others I've seen were made in last week of July? Even if they ship them from Malaysia, how can it take 3 months?

I preordered mine on 5.10. and got it 2 days ago. No prepayment required. Just put in a pre-order asap and you usually get what you need eventually :)

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Krycek posted:

There are just enough out there to convince you it's not a fictional product, until you try to look for one and only see them marked up 200% on EBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Coffee Lake is real, the 8700k is strong and its my friend.