Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Attestant posted:

BoI is actually good, but it has also gotten less good with every new addition to the game.

How good BoI is directly correlates to how little DLC you have activated. This is true both of the original and the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

MiddleOne posted:

How good BoI is directly correlates to how little DLC you have activated. This is true both of the original and the remake.

It's sad how true this is. I burnt out on Afterbirth and I haven't even picked up Afterbirth+ because it's like the developers decided that it had to cater to the people that have already put in 500 hours instead of just making the game balanced.

The funny thing is that I actually never played the original without Wrath of the Lamb so I was basically used to its design from day one whereas Afterbirth really made a ton of bad decisions design wise.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
My issue with Gungeon is that it doesn't just play in a very fun way when you're new, which made me not want to continue practicing it.

The early game is just a difficult slog, that doesn't really provide you with many tools to push forward, until you're already kinda good to do that on skill alone. Things like bosses only rewarding durability when you're already good enough to not get hit at all. Obscenely difficult shortcut conditions. Or the very unsatisfying ammo mechanic, where the game punishes you early for wanting to use the cool guns you're getting, instead of saving them for bosses or later floors.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I love Spelunky and Nuclear Throne so lots of people recommended BoI to me but that game feels so bad to actually play. Controls feel so sluggish like there's input lag or something and shooting enemies is really unsatisfying compared to slugging fools in the face in NC.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spelunky is another example of a game that added some unfortunate elements in the remake. In Spelunky's case it's less bad, but the changes they made to shopkeepers and the boulder mean you can't ever pick up the idol in the mines, and it's totally possible for shopkeepers to just randomly aggro in later levels. I don't know if the original is a better game, but it does feel a bit less random.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I still play BoI from time to time, but whenever I do I'll just play Greed mode. I wish they had some option of enabling or disabling items from various expansions or that as you unlock new items and progress further in the game it locked older items, because I'm fairly certain I haven't seen most of the new items because the item pools are so bloated now and the RNG seems to love giving me items from the base game. Boy oh boy, nothing like getting Leftovers followed by Breakfast or the Heart upgrade several runs in a row!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The one thing that really disappoints me about Spelunky is that the original pixely version of the game had a fair deal of neat mods, things like Tastes Like Spelunky which was the game overhauled around you playing as a mobile Mantrap plant, which I guess can't be done for the newer game.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I think the good changes in Spelunky remake (qol stuff mostly) outweigh the bad ones (music has the worst synths usage imaginable, complete poo poo). There are some cheap deaths and the shopkeepers do aggro fom stupid poo poo sometimes but at the same time most of the times you can still winnif you're skilled enough.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

I think the good changes in Spelunky remake (qol stuff mostly) outweigh the bad ones (music has the worst synths usage imaginable, complete poo poo). There are some cheap deaths and the shopkeepers do aggro fom stupid poo poo sometimes but at the same time most of the times you can still winnif you're skilled enough.
Yeah, it's still a really good game. Also the shopkeeper stuff is pretty rare.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mama Audrey is such a badly designed boss I just quit playing Ziggurat because theres no way to prevent her from showing up and even if youre specced to kill her shes tremendously boring.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Destiny 2 is fun and good but oh my god do we really need a 2 hour boring-rear end single player tutorial zone for an MMO? Holy poo poo that was tedious and loving awful. Walk through boring fights where you know nothing matters because this is still very clearly a tutorial sequence and it goes on and on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Agent355 posted:

Destiny 2 is fun and good but oh my god do we really need a 2 hour boring-rear end single player tutorial zone for an MMO? Holy poo poo that was tedious and loving awful. Walk through boring fights where you know nothing matters because this is still very clearly a tutorial sequence and it goes on and on.

And then hold forward for 7 minutes to drag your broken rear end to the plot like it's a metal gear game or something

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Agent355 posted:

Destiny 2 is fun and good

:thunk:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I had a blast with it. I'm totally burnt out on it now, but when the expansion drops I'm totally going back for sure.

But yeah, the stupid intro guarantees I'm never gonna dust off my third character slot, because gently caress that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

And then hold forward for 7 minutes to drag your broken rear end to the plot like it's a metal gear game or something
God, Metal Gear is so good.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

But only 1, 2 and 3 and furthermore

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Peace Walker was fun and the co-op with a buddy was even more fun.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It was a rude awakening in Super Metroid when I learned that 20 percent of the game takes place in Maridia. gently caress Maridia. I didn't die once but I wasted plenty of time. Quicksand that impedes your movement, one-way doors that pile-on the back-tracking, having to use the Grapple Beam which tellingly didn't show up in a 2D Metroid for 23 years because of its unwieldiness, that Missile Pack that takes a dozen Speed Booster attempts.

It's a shame that the only Metroids on the DS were an arena-shooter and a pinball-game, because it would have been a fine time to give Super a new coat of paint. Streamline the Weapon-Select, have the map track power-ups like Fusion and Zero Mission, and give Samus jump-controls unlike an inebriated ungulate.

That powerup in the same room as the Golden Torizo can also suck a dick.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Went back to the original Yakuza and finally got past Funeral of Fists (my first try playing I got stuck fighting the bouncer at Sunrise for some reason). The first half of that, sneaking into the funeral is really annoying, although fighting my way back out was actually pretty fun. The sneaking/fetchquest at the start is super dull though. Still I have enough upgrades now that I'm wrecking faces in the combat and that's pretty satisfying.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
every loving game these days: lootcrates. i blame both tf2 and overwatch for lootcrates.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

spit on my clit posted:

every loving game these days: lootcrates. i blame both tf2 and overwatch for lootcrates.

I just don't anymore. Microtransactions are a scourge on your mental health and anything with the gall to contain them isn't worth your time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

spit on my clit posted:

Ok grampa

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

I still play BoI from time to time, but whenever I do I'll just play Greed mode. I wish they had some option of enabling or disabling items from various expansions or that as you unlock new items and progress further in the game it locked older items, because I'm fairly certain I haven't seen most of the new items because the item pools are so bloated now and the RNG seems to love giving me items from the base game. Boy oh boy, nothing like getting Leftovers followed by Breakfast or the Heart upgrade several runs in a row!

If you have Rebirth+ you can use the " Isaac Item Pool Editor" in the Resources folder to edit all the item pools in the game. I did it and it made the game 1000x better. Never have to see dunce cap, breakfast,any bean item or all the lovely devil room items again.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If you have Rebirth+ you can use the " Isaac Item Pool Editor" in the Resources folder to edit all the item pools in the game. I did it and it made the game 1000x better. Never have to see dunce cap, breakfast,any bean item or all the lovely devil room items again.

Care to share your file?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

spit on my clit posted:

Only if you go for the bland super mass appeal poo poo like star wars or super hero game 2017

For now anyways, I'm sure the scourge will spread even further

E: sp

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Oct 25, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like BoI but it desperately needs some sort of "free mode" where you can just turn off items you don't want to appear.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Spelunky is another example of a game that added some unfortunate elements in the remake. In Spelunky's case it's less bad, but the changes they made to shopkeepers and the boulder mean you can't ever pick up the idol in the mines, and it's totally possible for shopkeepers to just randomly aggro in later levels. I don't know if the original is a better game, but it does feel a bit less random.

I really loved the original freeware Spelunky at some point during the open beta, but then he changed the way levels were generated and it was never the same for me. I tried it again when it was "free" on PS+ but just couldn't get into it.

Agent355 posted:

Destiny 2 was fun and I got my money's worth but it's pretty shallow (significantly moreso than Destiny 1) for a game they expect people to play indefinitely. I was done with it after 2 weeks. I'll probably come back when/if they release a Taken King level expansion.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Oct 25, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I really loved the original freeware Spelunky at some point during the open beta, but then he changed the way levels were generated and it was never the same for me. I tried it again when it was "free" on PS+ but just couldn't get into it.
I didn't play it until the final version, but I get that. I've bounced off DCSS a bunch of times because it makes major changes so often.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Finished Witcher 2. It's... alright. But very much in spite of the combat which is pretty terrible. The story is pretty decent for a fantasy game story, though it does some stupid things in the course of telling it. It's really the interacting with characters that carries it.

I started Witcher 3 and Geralt moves in a very annoying way and the combat is like, just barely better than 2 but improved immensely by not being quite so hard early on. Oh. And they added durability. I'm already mad at how my silver sword has already gone red on my hud. gently caress off forever durability. They changed a bunch of little things I hated in 2 and then added in durability. I really don't see why devs continue to do this poo poo. Durability is not fun and has never been fun and has dragged down way too many games.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Futuresight posted:

Finished Witcher 2. It's... alright. But very much in spite of the combat which is pretty terrible. The story is pretty decent for a fantasy game story, though it does some stupid things in the course of telling it. It's really the interacting with characters that carries it.

I started Witcher 3 and Geralt moves in a very annoying way and the combat is like, just barely better than 2 but improved immensely by not being quite so hard early on. Oh. And they added durability. I'm already mad at how my silver sword has already gone red on my hud. gently caress off forever durability. They changed a bunch of little things I hated in 2 and then added in durability. I really don't see why devs continue to do this poo poo. Durability is not fun and has never been fun and has dragged down way too many games.

Agreed. Durability is a lazy mechanic.

Mod that poo poo out.
https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

spit on my clit posted:

I don't mind it in overwatch, it makes my monkey brain feel good to get a good skin or something. but I stopped playing TF2 because they were your route to actual in-game weapons and despite people saying "They're not more powerful, just different!" that felt like a bunch of poo poo.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Barudak posted:

Mama Audrey is such a badly designed boss I just quit playing Ziggurat because theres no way to prevent her from showing up and even if youre specced to kill her shes tremendously boring.

Still better than Paranautical Activity where survivability is so heavily tied into character speed that starting off with a slow character or getting a speed down us just telling you that you might as well restart the run.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Durability in the Witcher 3 is worse than durability in Breath of the Wild

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't mind it in overwatch, it makes my monkey brain feel good to get a good skin or something. but I stopped playing TF2 because they were your route to actual in-game weapons and despite people saying "They're not more powerful, just different!" that felt like a bunch of poo poo.

Yeah that's a load of poo poo. They are not clear and cut upgrades but some are clearly better in certain situations. I stopped playing TF2 when it seemed like there was a new weapon every week and it threw the whole 'silhouettes will tell you how to approach this opponent!' out the window.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Weapon and item durability can be a positive thing in games if the game is centered around using weapons and items hard and fast before moving on to the next one. Goon-made roguelike Cogmind is a great example of this. where the premise is that you play a floating robot core who can get weapons, items, legs, engines and the like from scavenging them from store rooms or dead enemies, but they can all get blown off of you quickly, forcing you to continually adapt your play style based on what you find and hold on to. The STALKER games decent examples of it, too, since there are always new weapons around the corner and decay is a running theme through the games.

It's dumb bullshit in open world RPGs, though. If I have one sword available that is considerably more powerful than any other, and is also the only sword I've found that is level appropriate for the enemies I'm fighting, don't make pay a goddamn tax after every other fight to use it!

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Destiny 2:

Let me start by saying I could not get into Destiny 1 at all. Tried for maybe a month and just...eh. So I approached D2 with much skepticism, and really only got it at the behest of a buddy who was in dire need to people to play with.

Much to my surprise, it's tons of fun. Yes - that intro is awful. I did make a 3rd character to see just how fast you can run through the single player campaign to get to level 20 where the ACTUAL game starts: about 5.5 hours. That's skipping all cutscenes and running past anything you don't explicitly have to kill to advance - which is a LOT. In fact if the next Objective doesn't say "kill X" then you can just run through in most cases. Definitely follow a leveling guide and don't turn in ANY of your tokens before you hit PL 240, and you can get to the endgame parts quickly (where all the good loot is). I took my 3rd char from start to 20/275 in a single, long Saturday session of maybe 8 hours.

My first complaint is the jumping controls. Oh my god how do they suck so bad? If you are standing on the slightest incline of a surface, you will jump perpendicular to it, no matter how little actual sense this makes. There's a spot in one map where there's like an awning over a doorway, with another area on top of the building. If you are standing on the awning and try to jump up on top, you jump perpendicular to the awning, AWAY from the building. It's so frustrating and stupid and feels like such a small thing they could have adjusted.

The other complaint is just that once you DO hit the end game - there's just not much to do. You get a new Nightfall mission every reset, and a new Flashpoint, but...the first coupla weeks of leveling a new char seems FULL of stuff, then once you get there it's just....not a lot. Reading discussion threads about it, D1 apparently had a similar problem which over time seemed to correct itself as new content came online, etc. So this may be a premature complaint in the first place.

But yeah - if you're looking for a game which accurately gives you the feeling of being a space cowboy, cruising around wrecking poo poo - they pretty much nailed it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Is durability that bad in Witcher 3? I played like some couple hundred hours of that game and genuinely forgot that it was a mechanic apparently.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Its stupid and bad.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
All it does is make your attacks weaker, like maybe half damage at worst. It's like the inventory limits, it doesn't actually stop you doing anything or impact anything that matters and it's really easy to manage but it will absolutely make your life inconvenient sometimes and doesn't need to exist at all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Is durability that bad in Witcher 3? I played like some couple hundred hours of that game and genuinely forgot that it was a mechanic apparently.

It's a non-mechanic until the second you forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arkham Knight is the only game with a non-offensive durability system, because it isn't required for you to be able to win fights.