Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Bad Wolf posted:

Jim Sterling is sorta weird in this regard, he continued The Jimquisition after leaving The Escapist, but none of those old videos are on his channel, only on The Escapist one. This could be because he legally can't put up his old stuff, or (just as likely IMHO) it would be a pain in the arse to upload 150-odd videos and removing The Escapist logos from them.

He's done "remastered" versions of stuff that originally appeared on The Escapist as a way of taking a week off, so it's probably the latter. It's probably especially not worth it for Jimquisition because he doesn't monetize those anyway.

Also Jimquisition isn't the only one who kept kicking after he left The Escapist. Extra Credits and Miracle of Sound also kept going like nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EC is made by a Pixar guy so they'd hopefully know more about creator rights.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I believe that Jim bought the rights to his show but not the specific episodes back from the Escapist.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
I'd also say the extra credits guys just decided to take the rights back after missed payments for their work on the "network", something a few other shows like the makers of battlefield friends did also instead of waiting for payments during that debacle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

New Butt Order posted:

He's done "remastered" versions of stuff that originally appeared on The Escapist as a way of taking a week off, so it's probably the latter. It's probably especially not worth it for Jimquisition because he doesn't monetize those anyway.

Also Jimquisition isn't the only one who kept kicking after he left The Escapist. Extra Credits and Miracle of Sound also kept going like nothing happened.

I'm going to guess that what he doesn't own is the final product on the Escapist channel, while he does own the unedited footage, which is why he can come out with remasters. It's kind of like the deal you get with some academic publishers, where you still have the rights to the final draft before you start getting comments, but they hold rights to anything beyond that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DoubleCakes posted:

It was as wonderful as expected! I always has this idea that Jewel was, you know, good. But Todd shows that she ain't that deep, so her fall out of popularity isn't so surprised. Also if her second and third album weren't as popularity as her first then I totally get the desperate attempt to appeal to the pop crowd.

Holy poo poo, I thought that line from that Jewel song meant casualty like the "thoughtlessnes" has casualties emotionally or whatever. :laffo:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rights with videos are pretty weird. Like when Spill shut down, Hollywood.com wouldn’t let the former Spill people buy the rights even thought they weren’t using them. Most of their videos are probably lost that others didn’t rehost.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
This is why it was a good thing actually that IGN (or their parent company) bought the corpse of GameTrailers.com, now at least somebody will always have access to every Kyle Bosman episode from before the site shut down.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Turning Players Into Payers: The Jimquisition

No SterDust (sadly) in case you're wondering.

RatEarth
Aug 7, 2017

I didn't say that.
but it'd be funny if I did
So, for fun I decided to see when the last non-Yahtzee video was put up on The Escapist's channel, and it was an ad for a lovely mobile game about a year ago, then more Yahtzee.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MariusLecter posted:

unsubscribed

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
On the subject of Sterdust, his fans are called:

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/920980502965817345

And his finisher is:

https://twitter.com/danthat/status/920981975233638400

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/920985361022636032

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I kind of wish E-Feds were still a thing. I think I would be better at that. Or at the very least someone should make a Pro Wrestling RPG that's not poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MariusLecter posted:

Turning Players Into Payers: The Jimquisition

that scientific revenue pitch video :whitewater:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

I kind of wish E-Feds were still a thing. I think I would be better at that. Or at the very least someone should make a Pro Wrestling RPG that's not poo poo.

if you have a good tabletop group check out World Wide Wrestling

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Elisa's new vampire review is up on Patreon

It's Martin which I'm glad is getting more reviews since it is probably Romero's best movie

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 24, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Someone has actually created a pretty good looking version on the Fire Pro World workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1172241467

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

IT'S NOT A CAR GLIDER

stick around after the closing song for some hot POV vomiting!

Alaois fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 24, 2017

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Mircotransactions should only be a thing in free to play games, and even then they should be optional. I've been playing Pokemon pretty much every day since a few weeks after launch and I've not spent a penny on it yet.

If they want to make more money on AAA games, make good DLC and price it right and people will want it? :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OldMemes posted:

If they want to make more money on AAA games, make good DLC and price it right and people will want it? :shrug:

Sure but what if I want even more money?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Oct 24, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Andrast posted:

Sure but why if we want to do as little work as possible and spend as little as possible on content and just want even more money?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
in a way I admire jim's dedication to the microtransaction stuff but in another way I think it's kinda pointless ultimately, it clearly works and makes publishers a ton of money, I think the argument needs to be reframed in a way that talks to the players directly and tries to convince them to never buy this stuff

like the conclusion shouldn't be "gently caress you publishers you suck shame on you for doing this" because they don't care and never will, this is our modern hellworld of capitalism and if it makes money nobody really gives a poo poo about moral crusades

like jim's argument that microtransactions tend to just make it so you don't actually have to play the game is a good start and he should expand on it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cat doter posted:

in a way I admire jim's dedication to the microtransaction stuff but in another way I think it's kinda pointless ultimately, it clearly works and makes publishers a ton of money, I think the argument needs to be reframed in a way that talks to the players directly and tries to convince them to never buy this stuff

like the conclusion shouldn't be "gently caress you publishers you suck shame on you for doing this" because they don't care and never will, this is our modern hellworld of capitalism and if it makes money nobody really gives a poo poo about moral crusades

like jim's argument that microtransactions tend to just make it so you don't actually have to play the game is a good start and he should expand on it

He could probably do more to emphasize his parallel, constructive argument: taking an example from Hellblade and saying no to "AAA" publishers and the terrible practices they inevitably push on you as even a well-meaning developer. He's not just trashing what is.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UC2w1D_XZc

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
In my favorite episode yet of Song Crimes, we’re talking about Ghost Ride It, Tie Your Mother Down, and The Humpty Dance.

Our episodes are lunch break sized, so give this one a try if you haven’t before.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Honestly this is a good video to start every day with.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wasn't somebody here hoping for a new Everything Wrong With Everything Wrong With?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jim Sterling finds your lack of faith, disturbing

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/922812758218899456
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/922813921291046912

*Insert your favorite Deus Ex quote here*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A bawmb

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I asked for this.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jesus christ, what a dickhead.

I suggest ignoring the ramblings of an irrelevant piece of poo poo who probably thinks that anyone to the right of him should be lined up against a wall and shot and watching the new "Another Dirty Room" video by Dan Bell instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFbtQTJPbSg

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

In Bob's case, it'd be more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etbo_0Li3MI

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Every single day.

Also The Snowman is just as bad as you've heard and then some.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Goddamn this was painful to sit through. Even with Bob's great commentary the Cinema Sins guy's such a loving idiot. Like, sub Doug Walker levels of understanding films in even a fundamental way goddamn.

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't know scores of people who love the poo poo out of CS, out of all the nit-picky jokey-joke nerds you could chose from, why those dipshits?

FoldableHuman posted:

Saw your video on it yesterday, only made me want to see how bad it is first hand. That a film with an actual budget and actual professional film-makers could be bungled as badly as most student films end up being is fascinating to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Every single day.

Watching your video on it now, and, just...

Whose idea was it to just pronounce "Harry Hole" like the English word hole? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? Did anybody, like maybe Jo Nesbø or literally anyone else, go "Hey the name is pronounced 'ho-leh' and even though that's weird to American ears at least it doesn't sound like hairy hole?"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He could probably do more to emphasize his parallel, constructive argument: taking an example from Hellblade and saying no to "AAA" publishers and the terrible practices they inevitably push on you as even a well-meaning developer.

The flaw with this is the same flaw in what cat doter suggested: in the end, the players as a whole are a-ok with this thing you're mad about. If folks didn't ultimately like the lootcrate stuff, they wouldn't funnel cash into it. If they had a beef with AAA publishers, they wouldn't buy them in the first place.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why shoot a film in Norway if none of the cast is Norwegian and the Production companies are Chinese and British? (The Chinese company has co-funded numerous westerner films recently, most of them stinkers like Tom Cruise'17: Guest-starring the Mummy.)

Why cast Val Kilmer suffering from throat-cancer in a bit part if you're going to dub over him like Manos?

Why not call him Harry Hall?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Harrow posted:

Watching your video on it now, and, just...

Whose idea was it to just pronounce "Harry Hole" like the English word hole? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? Did anybody, like maybe Jo Nesbø or literally anyone else, go "Hey the name is pronounced 'ho-leh' and even though that's weird to American ears at least it doesn't sound like hairy hole?"
I feel like they only say his last name once, maybe twice in the entire movie, almost like they were 100% aware that the English pronunciation makes it absurd but weren't willing to do anything about it. This taps into something that Film Brain spent a lot more time on: this is the least Norwegian Norway has ever been while still being Norway. Most of the speaking cast is British, with a hand full of American and even fewer Scandinavian (with the one who is a major character being played by a Swede). Toby Jones and JK Simmons both put on accents while none of the other English or American actors even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Because it kinda worked in the English remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo maybe? The whole "oh the characters are speaking Swedish but we ehar it as English" thing was a bit still in that, but David Fincher made it seem smooth, and that's probably as good as the original version, just different.

I was planning on seeing The Snowman yesterday, but I saw Thor Ragnarok instead....which has a scene set in Norway, so that kinda counts?

• Locked thread