Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That latest episode of Better Things slayed me. Cried like a bitch in the lunch room at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

zoux posted:

How bout this, I hate loving multicams and I'm glad they're dying off.

Don't bet on it. People in the Seventies too thought single-cam is the future of comedy and multi-cam is some dying leftover from the theatre world. Then the Eighties came with a flood of extremely popular and high quality multi-cam shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Young Sheldon is a thing.

That is all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I finally checked out White Gold on Netflix and it is extremely my poo poo. Irvine Welsh style British show about window salesmen in the 80s. Hilarious.

Good to hear. Been meaning to watch it since my waifu Chuck Bass is in it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's about a dinky window salesman that thinks he's Gordon Gecko.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

Young Sheldon is a thing.

That is all.

Young Sheldon doesn't have a laugh track I'm pretty sure

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Getting back on the Riverdale train when I came across this. I guess Perez Hilton is a SJW in addition to being a piece of poo poo?
https://twitter.com/ThePerezHilton/status/922156700173344768

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 25, 2017

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

If you're against someone pointing out that smearing yourself with grease paint is a bad idea for a Halloween costume due to, you know, history then I don't know what the gently caress.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
its a creature though right? i can't tell

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

If you're against someone pointing out that smearing yourself with grease paint is a bad idea for a Halloween costume due to, you know, history then I don't know what the gently caress.
If you're doing it to pretend/parody black people, then of course it's bad. If you're doing it to dress as a demon/witch, then taking offense is just trying to stir the pot.

The Simpsons aren't making fun of Asians just because they're white Americans with yellow skin.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's like a demon or some spoopy poo poo. I don't think it's racist, I don't think she thinks it's racist, but I can see why other people might and I respect that. She apologized so who cares. Make it an issue in the future if she does something like outwardly racist then imo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ah yes, the age old "is blackface a good halloween costume" debate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hey, if people stopped doing it we wouldn't need to have this argument.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Easy tiger, not everything is racist.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

MiddleOne posted:

Hey, if people stopped doing it we wouldn't need to have this argument.

Yeah but that was definitely not meant to be a racial caricature.

I mean, it’s enough of an edge case that a takedown and apology isn’t unwelcome, but I’ll save my headshakes and outrages for the fuckboys and fuckgirls who are actually participating in “ironic” black/brown/yellowface frat and sorority parties.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can't imagine anyone in this thread honestly debating that. Blackface for a Halloween costume is disgusting.

If anything, the debate is whether it's a blackface costume or a spoopy demon costume.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I mean, it's clearly some sort of villainous woo woo and not a black person, but it's also stupid and would naturally have invited controversy even from non inveterate poo poo stirrers. Dumb, thoughtless choice. Whether a white person painting themselves black to symbolise some sort of totemic evil is ever a good idea is largely irrelevant -- the current political climate just doesn't welcome the idea.

Should have picked green.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It also isn't a picture of herself in costume afaik, just an idea she saw on instagram.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Reinhart" is clearly a Nazi

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Easy tiger, not everything is racist.

Not everything, just blackface.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Meh... you guys go nuts, i'm off to reddit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well that would be a good place to not hear complaints about blackface.

Anyway, I'm finished with the X-files (sort of, season 10 isn't on any service I have), and I watched the 15 minute commercial for an upcoming series that was the Castlevania anime, and now I need something else to watch. Ideally a procedural or detective show, one without Benedict Cumberbatch in it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Anyway, I'm finished with the X-files (sort of, season 10 isn't on any service I have), and I watched the 15 minute commercial for an upcoming series that was the Castlevania anime, and now I need something else to watch. Ideally a procedural or detective show, one without Benedict Cumberbatch in it.

You've seen Pushing Daisies, right?

Though if you're looking for something a little less day-glo, maybe try Awake? Or Life? SouthLAnd's great too. Or The Shield? Homicide: Life On The Street?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Good Wife is the best procedural and it's basically The Wire for rich white lawyers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The Good Wife is the best procedural and it's basically The Wire for rich white lawyers

The Good Wife it is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Where jokes aren't illegal!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well, I ignored goon advice and watched some Mist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You're already dead. :ohdear:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Where jokes aren't illegal!

I was thinking more of r/eyebleach and r/ChildrenFallingOver

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

noooooooooo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Lurdiak posted:

If you think that demon halloween costume thing looks like a black person that's kind of hosed up tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can y'all please stop having this completely terrible lovely conversation

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

Can y'all please stop having this completely terrible lovely conversation

Ok, let's talk about the endings to sci fi tv shows.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Well that would be a good place to not hear complaints about blackface.

Fringe, if you can get access to it somehow. To me, it covers similar ground to The X-Files, only with more humor, heart, and character development along the way.

If not, Mindhunter on Netflix, an amazing new '70s period piece about the FBI Behavioral Science Unit starting to study, interview, and profile serial killers, produced and partially directed by David Fincher.

And both shows star Anna Torv.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And she's dreadful when Fringe starts out. She gets better though, but it can be hard to slog through season 1.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

With all due respect how do you know if you miss much by not finishing it if you didn't finish it?

Not that I disagree with your basic principle of "if you don't like it, stop watching." A lot more TVIV threads would be readable if that was a common accepted idea. I think Legion was worth it and very good, but I would never really try and convince someone who watched 70% of the season that if they didn't like it they somehow would start in the final run. But I also don't think that person really has a say on whether that last part is worth watching or not.

For my part I think the end of Legion gives some pretty satisfying answers and the end run of episodes has some really great stuff.

I wasn't enjoying it enough to keep watching so I stopped. To my perspective that makes it not worth watching. Of course I can't comment on the content of episodes I haven't seen, that wasn't what I meant to say; my post was mis-worded. But yes, I agree that more people should do this with shows they aren't enjoying, not just for the quality of our threads here but also out of respect for their own time and sanity.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

IRQ posted:

And she's dreadful when Fringe starts out. She gets better though, but it can be hard to slog through season 1.

At least there's a point to why she downplays her character so much, but you'll find out it isn't because she's a bad actress.

I was so happy to see her again in Mindhunter after all this time, even though I've read articles on Slate and Vulture in the last few days explaining that she isn't Carrie Coon. I would have loved to see Anna Torv play Captain Marvel, although I get that Brie Larson is a bigger name and an Oscar winner.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, you have to stick it out but it makes sense later on. Fringe was a show that had some big ideas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got confused and thought you guys were talking about Freaky Links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fringe was a great show and I'm glad it got to finish its run, it was one of those "is it gonna get cancelled :ohdear:" shows for its whole run.

E: Oh man this looks great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUiRYoc76A

Looks like a really good role for Merritt Weaver as well. It's just a six episode miniseries though :(

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 25, 2017

• Locked thread