Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Having to do this on a phone sucks bigtime, but doing it to fully remove the burn in might be worth it early on with this panel.

If you can remove it, it isn't burn-in, just image retention. Screen off will help reset it as well, but perhaps slower than full screen white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Guillermus posted:

Moto C Plus has 2Gb RAM (at least the one sold on mediamarkt). Moto E4 looks good too but is harder to find around.

Oh right, you can even select 1 or 2 GB with no price difference when buying it from Motorola. For some reason the spec sheet only mentions 1 GB.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blue Train posted:

ambient display works with anything but you need oled for it to be always on
Lumias got it right with Glance; always on when charging, motion to wake.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
App updates are sitting at 100% downloaded, but aren't installing on my Nexus 6P.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My 2 XL is "out for delivery" and like, wow Fedex drivers get some distance. According to the tracking page, the truck dispatched from like another town 20 miles away from my apartment. Like, there's another shipment center closer to the city, it's weird.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

My 2 XL is "out for delivery" and like, wow Fedex drivers get some distance. According to the tracking page, the truck dispatched from like another town 20 miles away from my apartment. Like, there's another shipment center closer to the city, it's weird.

That's nothing, my FedEx driver has to do 70 miles to get to my house from the hub in Nashville.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

The Pixel's camera continues to impress

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I really wish someone who was really in to cameras would do a comparative review of the Pixel (or heck any flagship phone camera) versus a good point-n-shoot.

I feel like for most circumstances the Pixel would be better, but I'm not too confident.

My first thought was to compare the dxomark scores, but it looks like they do smartphones in a separate category from other types of cameras and that the scores aren't something you can compare between those categories.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My guess is that the Pixel is going to be better than anything other than the upper end 1" sensor market (think Sony RX100 Canon G9x). Most of the point and shoot cameras are going to have a sensor around the same size as smartphones with only a fraction of the compute behind them. The only time where a point and shoot will be preferable is if you need a superzoom.

That said, I would have had trouble getting the shots I did with my Pixel 2 XL with even my A6000 since I'm not skilled enough with it yet to nail all the settings in enough time to capture the moments I was seeing.

Pocket to picture to pocket on this thing is incredible.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

My guess is that the Pixel is going to be better than anything other than the upper end 1" sensor market (think Sony RX100 Canon G9x). Most of the point and shoot cameras are going to have a sensor around the same size as smartphones with only a fraction of the compute behind them. The only time where a point and shoot will be preferable is if you need a superzoom.

That said, I would have had trouble getting the shots I did with my Pixel 2 XL with even my A6000 since I'm not skilled enough with it yet to nail all the settings in enough time to capture the moments I was seeing.

It's crazy to think that you'd have to a) spend as much or more than the phone itself to get one of those cameras b) have to carry it alongside your phone and c) if you are dedicated to using it, would only really see a potential benefit if you're really pixel-peeping or are very good with manual controls. It's a good time for smartphone cameras.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It really only makes sense if you have a workflow beyond the camera.

The biggest difference between the two it's the level of quality at capture. Google does some amazing things combining exposures and doing noise reduction, but that leaves you with a final output file that can only be tweaked in limited ways.

Meanwhile, an upper level camera will give you a comparable quality raw photo as a starting point to do post processing.

You wouldn't ever want RAW from a pixel as it would look like crap.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

It really only makes sense if you have a workflow beyond the camera.

The biggest difference between the two it's the level of quality at capture. Google does some amazing things combining exposures and doing noise reduction, but that leaves you with a final output file that can only be tweaked in limited ways.

Meanwhile, an upper level camera will give you a comparable quality raw photo as a starting point to do post processing.

You wouldn't ever want RAW from a pixel as it would look like crap.

And at that point, I’d imagine you’d want at least a mirrorless camera over a high end compact point and shoot - but I’m sure there are a few edge cases as always.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Personally, the only use a cellphone camera has to be is documenting things for evidence, say for insurance or putting definite blame on someone. Screw selfies, and if I go to somewhere with the intention of also taking pictures, I'll be that mythical creature that still hauls around a huge camera (also handy for self defense). Because gently caress that terrible noise reduction and fake bokeh.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Personally, the only use a cellphone camera has to be is documenting things for evidence, say for insurance or putting definite blame on someone. Screw selfies, and if I go to somewhere with the intention of also taking pictures, I'll be that mythical creature that still hauls around a huge camera (also handy for self defense). Because gently caress that terrible noise reduction and fake bokeh.

And that's totally fair but we were more talking about the point and shoots vs. smartphones and how we are confident your smartphone is the better bet until you get in the $700+ range for high-end P&S cameras - but then that's where you might as well go with a starter DSLR or mirror-less if you're really trying to be serious.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

I've also got an A6000 and feel the same way.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Combat Pretzel posted:

[...] if I go to somewhere with the intention of also taking pictures, I'll be that mythical creature that still hauls around a huge camera (also handy for self defense). Because gently caress that terrible noise reduction and fake bokeh and bad ergonomics, lack of optical zoom and a decent flash, barrel distortion, chromatic aberration, coma, corner softness and overall lack of sharpness, noisy skies at low ISO

Yeah, phone cameras are fine for what they are, but my 10-year-old DSLR that can't shoot video still runs circles around my OG Pixel.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, there's something to be said about the software clean-up that goes on with the Pixel's pictures. I can't be arsed to dig it up right now but back in July I'd taken a picture of some fireworks smoke in the street above the neighbor's truck, nothing really special as far as the subject matter went.

drat thing managed to catch the smoke, but also avoid blowing out the street light shining through tree leaves while also getting good definition in the grass, the driveway texture, the low-light reflections on the truck, all that poo poo. Like it's 100% something that would have taken work in Lightroom to adjust exposures for different parts of the image, and it was all done in like 4 seconds of background work as I drunkenly fumbled the phone back into my pocket.

E: I think the biggest issue I have with it is that sometimes it seems to shift subtle reflections a little too blue-ward, as though there's a computer screen providing some of the lighting.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 25, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

seravid posted:

Yeah, phone cameras are fine for what they are, but my 10-year-old DSLR that can't shoot video still runs circles around my OG Pixel.
IMO video is also overrated, unless you live a really exciting life. I see plenty of people recording videos of relatively boring or mundane things, to store them away on their storage medium of choice, to never look at it again, because memories. It only gets relevant again when said medium fails (for some reason that then suddenly involves me).

The only exception maybe if one parent is always away for work and (s)he wants updates on the kid(s).

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Halo14 posted:

Yeah from what I've read its only an issue with the screen if you're holding it at weird angles. The colour vibrancy could be changed with a software update too? I've pre-ordered the Pixel 2 XL last week and am not concerned.

It's not "weird" angles, it's more or less any angle that isn't straight-on (~15 degrees or so in any direction), which you do more often with a phone than I think a lot of people realize.
And Vlad was hella dramatic but he was mostly right about the V30's display - it's the same panel as the 2 XL and has the same issues with grain, blue tinting (though not quite as severe, I don't think), and bad low brightness performance.
All of it is personal preference as to whether or not those things bother you to the point of being a dealbreaker obviously, it's (hopefully) not going to stop functioning and make it literally unusable, but the issues are real.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My friends and I were marveling how far things have come in the past few years. My sister's wedding, just over ten years ago, we had disposable cameras at everyone's table to capture candid photos. The quality obviously wasn't that great and the only people who really got to see the photos were the immediate family.

Now, everyone has a far better camera and it's easy to setup a shared photo album where everyone can upload pictures in real time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

IMO video is also overrated, unless you live a really exciting life. I see plenty of people recording videos of relatively boring or mundane things, to store them away on their storage medium of choice, to never look at it again, because memories. It only gets relevant again when said medium fails (for some reason that then suddenly involves me).

The only exception maybe if one parent is always away for work and (s)he wants updates on the kid(s).

My wife and I started taking videos of ourselves to show any kids we might have. We both wish we had more video of our parents when they were younger.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

Video is one of those things that still is too large a format, data-wise, to be truly as convenient for mobile as pictures and text despite the additional context or whatever it's able to provide. As much work as has been done to trim down the size of a video file by compression, even short video clips like vine or instagram jank up unless you're on at least a particularly good HSDPA+ connection. Youtube is the same to a larger degree.

Granted, most civilized areas have sufficient wireless coverage and backhaul but the other edge of that sword is that anywhere you actually want to capture and share something unique isn't likely to be where that wireless coverage and backhaul make it possible. Concerts, camping/hiking, skydiving, paragliding, etc. That all has to be shared after the fact rather than streamed lest it look like a Lego mural at best. It's not that video content is overrated categorically, it's just that much of it is trivial to begin with because technological limitations continue to get in the way of making it as close to real-time rapport as texts, voice, and pictures are unless you're sharing something mundane enough to be under a dense RF umbrella that affords you the bandwidth. My sister was streaming from her phone when Irma passed her place in Dunedin and it was like watching some arthouse video from the 80s, blocky artifacts all over, video cutting out, etc.

Sure, you can make a case for those being unusual circumstances but at the time the power was still on practically everywhere, Verizon simply wasn't up to snuff.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I agree. I thought my phone was doing an amazing job at photos but I was only looking at the photos from my phone. Once I got a X-T2 and you look at the pictures off of that vs the ones you thought were great from your phone you realize how it totally doesn't hold up. The fake bokeh stuff really doesn't hold up if there is any kind of movement as well. I think eventually they will get close enough that the convenience will trump any kind of quality concern but we aren't there yet. Then again, if you are just posting stuff on instagram or whatever and you never see a photo from a dslr you probably won't be missing anything. Ignorance is bliss :)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Thermopyle posted:

I really wish someone who was really in to cameras would do a comparative review of the Pixel (or heck any flagship phone camera) versus a good point-n-shoot.

I feel like for most circumstances the Pixel would be better, but I'm not too confident.

My first thought was to compare the dxomark scores, but it looks like they do smartphones in a separate category from other types of cameras and that the scores aren't something you can compare between those categories.

in my experience where most smart phones fall down is when you're at a higher zoom level, say closer to 1:1 where you begin seeing how poorly most of them handle noise. Low light images are getting better and better with the latest phone cameras but it still falls down if you wanted to make enlargements of any decent size. The other place that cellphones still need a lot of room for improvement in is there's still a lack of any sense of control over the depth of focus. portrait modes are nice parlor tricks but they can't match being able to intentionally select your subject and set it apart from the background in a controlled manner.

That being said, as a "professional" photographer, my phone is perfectly adequate for 95% of my photo needs and I'm very much looking forward to getting my Pixel 2. Point and shoots are dying a slow death for sure.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

RZA Encryption posted:

My wife and I started taking videos of ourselves to show any kids we might have. We both wish we had more video of our parents when they were younger.

As someone who has been working on scanning and digitally archiving my grandparents' old photos, your idea is wonderful and heartwarming. I would kill for videos of my grandparents or parents while they were younger.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Did anybody else pre-order and receive their Pixel 2 through OnTrac?

They claimed my phone was delivered on Friday, it wasn't... so now I'm having to deal with OnTrac's terrible customer service to find out where the hell my phone is. Every time I try to call them I can expect to sit on hold for 15-20 minutes and be met with someone who doesn't know anything and can't tell me anything more than "we are waiting to hear back from the driver"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, if you go down to 1:1, phone pictures start to fall apart, but then you really start to get into how you are consuming the photos.

Most people ARE viewing their photos on a phone screen or casted to a TV.

If your want to make an 11x14 print, maybe look to using a better camera. Want to look at your vacation on your 4k tv? You are probably fine 95% of the time with a flagship camera phone.

When I went to the Air and Space Museum recently, I used both my phone and my A6000. I had a good prime on the A6000 and it was great for more of the close up pictures in displays. I used my Pixel for greater FoV than the prime I was using. It kept me from hauling a ton of stuff it having to change lenses often.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 25, 2017

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Do you guys think Google will start accepting Pixel 2 trade-ins before the Pixel 3 comes out? Thinking of keeping an eye on the LG situation and if the screen problem is solved, trading up from my Pixel 2 to a 2XL in six months or whatever.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CFox posted:

That's nothing, my FedEx driver has to do 70 miles to get to my house from the hub in Nashville.

I'm only about 20 miles but traffic is consistently so bad that it might as well be 70. Amazon offers same day delivery to the entire metro area except for the north shore, where I live, due to traffic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

This...is a really good idea.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
I had an A6000 with a rokinon 12mm and took a landscape shot at Half Moon Bay in CA. My wife took the same picture with a Nexus 6P, and the images were close enough in quality without zooming/pixel peeping they you wouldn't be able to tell which came from the proper camera.

Also, gotta love FedEx leaving a $1000 phone outside my apartment building because it's was apparently shipped "no signature required."

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

JAF07 posted:

I had an A6000 with a rokinon 12mm and took a landscape shot at Half Moon Bay in CA. My wife took the same picture with a Nexus 6P, and the images were close enough in quality without zooming/pixel peeping they you wouldn't be able to tell which came from the proper camera.

Can you post these? Because landscape is one of the worst things you can shoot with a phone. Even downsized to 800px - which is a waste for this kind of photo - the difference is still obvious. Quick test shots Pixel XL vs 2007 DSLR. 12mp sensors on both cameras. Full auto on the DSLR (shooting and processing) with an unremarkable zoom lens:

Bonus crop:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

Pixel has better looking Pixels, but the SLR is gonna win in low light and as long as you have real zoom.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

seravid posted:

Can you post these? Because landscape is one of the worst things you can shoot with a phone. Even downsized to 800px - which is a waste for this kind of photo - the difference is still obvious. Quick test shots Pixel XL vs 2007 DSLR. 12mp sensors on both cameras. Full auto on the DSLR (shooting and processing) with an unremarkable zoom lens

What do the kids say these days? You have been taken to the wrecking yard?

I think the Pixel is most comparable to a $200-300 point and shoot like the WX200/WX350, better in some ways (such as image post-processing) and worse in others (something something optical zoom). It's certainly not going to fare well against just about any digital SLR or mirrorless camera, but none of those fit in your pocket...

Bang for buck, clearly a dedicated camera is better. But are you going to carry your DSLR which hiking up a cliff? Probably not, but it's likely your phone will be there with you...and you will cry salty tears when you drop the $1000 metal and glass box.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I got to play around with a Pixel 2 XL for a bit. In my opinion, the design this year looks much better than the generic iPhone ripoff look of the previous generation and is pretty distinctive. The screen while obviously not as good as a Galaxy's, if you're a Pixel guy looking to upgrade you'll be perfectly happy with it for the most part. To me the most annoying thing would be the tinting, as I tend to leave my phone on a desk/table and act on notifications throughout the day without picking it up, from that angle the tinting is pretty bad but the phone remains relatively usable.

All in all if you're already a Nexus/Pixel guy go for it.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 25, 2017

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

But are you going to carry your DSLR which hiking up a cliff? Probably not

I always take a camera hiking and sometimes I will stow it for light climbing but I guess I'm just a weirdo. I've never gone hiking and not had a great shot at one point so I just always bring the camera. Phone camera doesn't do nature justice but I fully accept its more than good enough for most people.

Anyways I guess I will keep hanging on with my Nexus 5x for the time being. It's still working well and "butter" enough for me. No rush to buy into the many 2XL QA issues for the privilege of $1200 Canadian.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rickets posted:

What do the kids say these days? You have been taken to the wrecking yard?

I think the Pixel is most comparable to a $200-300 point and shoot like the WX200/WX350, better in some ways (such as image post-processing) and worse in others (something something optical zoom). It's certainly not going to fare well against just about any digital SLR or mirrorless camera, but none of those fit in your pocket...

I'd take a Pixel over a cheap point 'n shoot for sure and I use it day to day. While these:

...don't look very good, without my phone I'd have taken neither of them.

Rickets posted:

...and you will cry salty tears when you drop the $1000 metal and glass box.

Dumb 2007 me actually bought a screen protector for my camera. I've never used them on any of my phones :v:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Android 8.1 Developer Preview is available for all you goons who love pre-release software and want to enable Google's image chip thing on the new Pixels.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25/16546686/android-oreo-developer-preview-8-1-release

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
ITT: purchase defenses (i.e I've never tilted my phone even 1° while looking at it) and reminders that phones aren't DSLRs but they fit in your pocket...sort of.

What are y'all's thoughts on SD cards for my a6000? :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Pixel has better looking Pixels, but the SLR is gonna win in low light and as long as you have real zoom.

Sure, but I specifically said point-n-shoot.