Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Iron Rose posted:

Jesus, you really can't be picky if you're commuting 10 hours a day. If that's driving, you're going to be barely making more than gas and vehicle money.

I'd be moving up there if they actually offered me the job. I'm leery about traveling that far for an interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They’re being considerate because they know you are so far away. Don’t overthink it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They’re being considerate because they know you are so far away. Don’t overthink it.

Fair enough, and calling him back didn't work so when he calls me about scheduling I'll take the skype option.

This field seems to operate by different rules than I'm used to. Thank you for being considerate with my questions, everyone.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cythereal posted:

So, I am by background a computer-focused librarian but am currently out of work and have just been invited for a second interview for a help desk position with a state university that operates an extensive virtual campus. They said during the phone interview that this facility sees very little turnover.

Any ideas from those in the industry how screwed I likely am? I'm not really in a position to be choosy about employment.

Help desk sucks but university positions can become careers and it could be a stepping stone for you to transfer into libraries or something less customer facing in the IT dept. In our bureaucracies here in Canada it is much easier to get jobs internally and they're basically all unionized for job security and decent wages.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have hired people from video interviews plenty of times.

I'd be more worried about coming off like you don't want the job. It certainly sounds like it and that poo poo is easy to spot in an interview.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cythereal posted:

Fair enough, and calling him back didn't work so when he calls me about scheduling I'll take the skype option.

This field seems to operate by different rules than I'm used to. Thank you for being considerate with my questions, everyone.

If you’re desperate for a job, take the (skype) interview. It’s pretty common in IT. Customer service might not always be fun, but if it was your weak spot in your old job than this might be an awesome way to (get paid to) improve it!

If you like IT this is a great first step to do some gruntwork and you can grow from there. If you don’t like it you can always look for something else while being employed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Internet Explorer posted:

I have hired people from video interviews plenty of times.

Fair enough, I just have no experience with a job field that works like that which is why I asked here.In the library field, wanting a video interview rather than an in-person is a huge black mark against a potential applicant.

quote:

I'd be more worried about coming off like you don't want the job. It certainly sounds like it and that poo poo is easy to spot in an interview.

I'm mostly ambivalent about the travel distance for the interview and I'm not sure this is the career path I want, but that's something to worry about for the future.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've always thought of a Skype interview to be a good test of your tech skills, especially for an entry level position. If you can get Skype working for an interview, you can probably figure out most basic problems people will call you about.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
The most important thing about a Skype interview is to not wear pants.

And to remember you aren’t wearing pants.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Same but I'm the interviewer

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I like this thread because it reminds me how glad I am to not have to do deal with managing Microsoft garbage anymore.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Awesome, got work to pay for my CCIE bootcamp. Hopefully security isn't as bad as I expect it to be. Has anyone used Micronics for any training?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JHVH-1 posted:

I like this thread because it reminds me how glad I am to not have to do deal with managing Microsoft garbage anymore.

Yeah this is insane.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I think I read in this thread that if you worked with Microsoft's own licensing team on your needs and they got it wrong or recommended the wrong thing MS was still like "too bad gently caress you"?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah this audit has been dumb as gently caress gently caress Microsoft holy poo poo. Our deficiency isn't very much but it's frustrating to deal with. I like our SAP audit more than this.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

JHVH-1 posted:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The third most important thing about a Skype interview is to get the contacts arranged more than 24 hours in advance of the meeting. The 4th thing is to be ready to go with Hangouts as an alternative.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Holy gently caress so that security camera vendor that is cock blocking me from utilizing the software support contact I purchased? The one that sent a guy out to just sit in a conference room and remote in instead of working remotely? The guy that does nothing except call the software vendor to get the problems fixed, and plays middle man?

They just sent me a bill for $1500 hourly on-site support.

gently caress them forever, I'm going to enjoy telling them they've been removed from the approved vendors list.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy gently caress so that security camera vendor that is cock blocking me from utilizing the software support contact I purchased? The one that sent a guy out to just sit in a conference room and remote in instead of working remotely? The guy that does nothing except call the software vendor to get the problems fixed, and plays middle man?

gently caress them forever, I'm going to enjoy telling them they've been removed from the approved vendors list.

I want to cry on your behalf.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Time to let legal do their thing?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This has been my entire experience with consultancies.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Vargatron posted:

This has been my entire experience with consultancies.

I mean yeah that's basically what us consultants do, deal with vendors and act as middle men when the customer can't. We might know the product better than you but if you want the deepest level of knowledge you need to get the vendor and that's usually much more expensive.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

orange sky posted:

I mean yeah that's basically what us consultants do, deal with vendors and act as middle men when the customer can't. We might know the product better than you but if you want the deepest level of knowledge you need to get the vendor and that's usually much more expensive.

You want to pay me to talk to someone for you? Sure!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

You want to pay me to talk to someone for you? Sure!

Which is fine sometimes I want to pay somebody to talk to the vendor and get poo poo fixed for me.

But this case is more "want to talk to the vendor? I don't want you to talk to the vendor, you need to talk to me and I'll call them. Just let me do it for you, I'm on my way to your office now. Ok thanks here's the bill for talking to me!"

I already removed one vendor earlier this year for hijacking my Cisco smartnet contracts and billing per-incident on top of yearly support renewal. It's amazing how many companies think this is an acceptable practice and prey on small business / government organizations who don't know better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If they are taking "poo poo's hosed" and then working through the troubleshooting with Cisco and handling the dispatch of replacement units (e.g. actually adding value) then I don't see an issue with billing time on top of SMARTNet. If they're just forwarding emails between Cisco and you and adding some delay then yeah, gently caress that noise,

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry to be a pest again, but I was just on the phone with this help desk place that wants to do a second interview, and when I brought up that I'd prefer to do a skype interview he offered to pay for my travel expenses.

Uh, is this normal in this industry? In the field I'm used to, that's virtually unheard of except for major leadership positions. This seems to just be an entry level first-line help desk position, albeit one paying $37k/year.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Cythereal posted:

Sorry to be a pest again, but I was just on the phone with this help desk place that wants to do a second interview, and when I brought up that I'd prefer to do a skype interview he offered to pay for my travel expenses.

Uh, is this normal in this industry? In the field I'm used to, that's virtually unheard of except for major leadership positions. This seems to just be an entry level first-line help desk position, albeit one paying $37k/year.

If they're willing to throw expenses at you it sounds like they want to give you the job. I'd take that offer so you can see the facilities in person. Might be a long day of travel but if you're really interested in the job, this sounds like the ticket to getting hired.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Why are you fighting this lol.

They want to do a skype interview that's cool, they want to fly you out there to interview you? They really want you and are probably having trouble finding qualified candidates local. Just go with it man unless you really don't want this job.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you do decide to travel for an in-person instead of a Skype interview remember that you should definitely wear pants. The optional pants advice is only for Skype.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Got a job listing emailed to me titled "It Support Human"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mattfl posted:

Why are you fighting this lol.

They want to do a skype interview that's cool, they want to fly you out there to interview you? They really want you and are probably having trouble finding qualified candidates local. Just go with it man unless you really don't want this job.

Drive up there. :p I'm not fighting it, I'm just very surprised and not familiar with how this industry does things so my instinct is to be cautious. I said yes, of course.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It's 20am on a Wednesday, my boss is out this week, and I don't have anything to work on, drat.

Time to go take a nap in the car or something.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cythereal posted:

Drive up there. :p I'm not fighting it, I'm just very surprised and not familiar with how this industry does things so my instinct is to be cautious. I said yes, of course.

It's very standard practice to pay for travel and accommodations for a job interview. At $37k you're above entry level pay and you're actually going to be making out ahead of others in that pay range. In general, State positions take out retirement and insurance funds pre tax so you're saving a significant amount of money.

During the interview, I would inquire about educational and training opportunities offered by the school. It's very possible that they may offer free school after a probationary period, which adds value to your salary. Sick leave and vacation benefits are also probably going to be fairly good in comparison to the private sector.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vargatron posted:

It's very standard practice to pay for travel and accommodations for a job interview. At $37k you're above entry level pay and you're actually going to be making out ahead of others in that pay range. In general, State positions take out retirement and insurance funds pre tax so you're saving a significant amount of money.

During the interview, I would inquire about educational and training opportunities offered by the school. It's very possible that they may offer free school after a probationary period, which adds value to your salary. Sick leave and vacation benefits are also probably going to be fairly good in comparison to the private sector.

Da gently caress? That is absolutely not normal in the field I've been working in for the last five years. I've been very cautious about this whole thing because it's proceeding so wildly different from any job process I've been through before. Paying for travel and accomodations for a job interview in the library field is virtually unheard of for anything lower than "You will be the person in charge of running this entire place." Hopefully this guy understands and I intend to be enthusiastic in person as this opportunity sounds better and better all the time.

Asking about educational and training opportunities was definitely something on my mind. I've had informal experience with coding on a small scale (Code Academy to get familiar with the broadest basics of HTML and I once made a few mods for a coding-intensive video game), so if I get this job I'd probably like to pursue programming/coding training.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When I was 20 I did a video interview and then was flown across the country, rental car paid for, hotel paid for, mostly because they wanted me to be certain it would be a good fit for me. I was paid 5k in relocation costs. That was offered, not something I even asked for. Since then I have moved across the country for jobs 2 other times, each a similar experience.

If they're offering to pay you gas money and possibly a hotel for the night before, it's not that crazy although a little more rare for junior positions. They may just be having trouble finding candidates they like, which isn't uncommon, even for junior positions. Or they might be a progressive place to work for that realizes they have to go the extra mile for a candidate they like.

Not trying to slag our librarian brethren, but yes, IT positions are in a little more demand than librarian positions.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Paying for travel and accomodations for a job interview in the library field is virtually unheard of for anything lower than "You will be the person in charge of running this entire place."

This is probably the kicker. As much as I love libraries, there's not a lot of money in them at the moment. IT on the other hand, can print money for a successful MSP or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

xsf421 posted:

This is probably the kicker. As much as I love libraries, there's not a lot of money in them at the moment. IT on the other hand, can print money for a successful MSP or something.

So I'm seeing, and thank y'all for your insights. I'm all for seeing what this is all about, costs me nothing but time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Cythereal posted:

So I'm seeing, and thank y'all for your insights. I'm all for seeing what this is all about, costs me nothing but time.

Time that is, increasingly, sounding like it will be well spent. I can understand the overload you're having, but I promise this is less uncommon that you think in IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Second day back from paternity leave and life is great. Its nice to be back to work and being able to mix things up instead of being all baby all the time.

First thing this morning we have a division meeting where I am one of the speakers. Its the first one I am attending and we have about 60 people in attendance. I am given a short introduction for those that haven't met me yet and I do a very short power-point showing some of the projects that are done/in-progress. Pretty standard stuff. It all went smoothly except for this one employee. I am going to call this employee Bob. Bob's title is "Devops Engineer" and is the only person with that title in our company. Bob keeps bringing up powershell during my presentation. "I could write you a powershell script for that" is his go to line and he keeps blurting it out unsolicited. I keep replying "Good idea Bob" in an attempt to stay on track. The 4th time I hear the Bob soundrop though I stop and let him know that yes, this thing I was going over was done in powershell and that powershell is very useful. He replies with "I would like to see the code on that one" and I ignore him and keep chugging along. A few other employees speak up about a few of my on-going projects wanting to colab on some items toward the end. Overall very positive and productive.

When our meeting is over Bob stays behind wanting to talk to me. Bob is upset. He is upset over me resetting everyone password after the employee phishing incident. In his viewpoint the entire process could have gone so much smoother if we could have just used one of his scripts.

:butt: You didn't need to reset everyone's password right away disrupting everything at once, you could have set them to expire.
:) I could have yes, but the goal was to cut off all access to comprimised accounts known and unknown. Expiring wouldn't have done that.
:butt: I could have written a script to reset everyone's password to something simple based on their name or employee ID number. People could have gotten into their systems faster instead of waiting on the helpdesk.
:) I agree that would have been smoother, but that also had its own issues of people being able to guess important executive passwords internally for a short while. We didn't want to open Pandora's box during that chaos. Quick, certain reaction was the goal.
:butt: the entire day was a mess, something else could have been done.
:) Sometimes security trumps convenience and we didn't have a ton of time to plan something more comfortable. Sorry.

I am new and I am still trying to figure out the politics of the office. I am not trying to make waves until I am more certain of the local players. I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure out what this devops guy actually does. So far, all he seems to do is help people script things in powershell for various departments and not much else. I assume he is being defensive because he was use to being the sole provider of powershell voodoo magic.