Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That extremely tired forums joke: "Mods change my name to __________ (insert amusing phrase from earlier in thread) tia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Speaking of changing names, it's annoying on Twitter when folks change their names. It's an ever-fun game of "Wait, who are you?"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FELD1 posted:

That extremely tired forums joke: "Mods change my name to __________ (insert amusing phrase from earlier in thread) tia"

This and also people posting suggestions for a new thread title. It's funny maybe 1 time out of 10.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This and also people posting suggestions for a new thread title. It's funny maybe 1 time out of 10.

That's different though because thread title changes actually happen fairly regularly.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Post Your (least) Favourite Pet Peeve: It’s funny maybe 1 time out of 10

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Post Your (least) Favorite Pet Peeve: also people posting suggestions for a new thread title.

Come on. You have to at least give it a hook.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Whiz Palace posted:

Content: the phrase "I don't have an accent".

There is a corollary - I haven't got the expected accent. I grew up in Yorkshire, but speak way more "posh" than I should given that. Yorkshire occasionally bleeds through but very weakly. I blame growing up with American TV. Must have hosed my accent sideways :P May also have been influenced by my dislike of Slang. I was never able to pull it off and any attempts got me made fun of, so I just burnt the bridge and went "Fine, gently caress slang and nicknames. Formal all the way." I have friends at work where I am the only one who uses the full version of their name even when everyone else abbreviates (eg names like Will and Joe I just stick with William and Joseph)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Oct 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

There is a corollary - I haven't got the expected accent. I grew up in Yorkshire, but speak way more "posh" than I should given that. Yorkshire occasionally bleeds through but very weakly. I blame growing up with American TV. Must have hosed my accent sideways :P

I remember my brother and I went to the Boys' Brigade in East Belfast and being asked, "Why does your brother sound normal while you sound posh?" and just not having any idea.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

BioEnchanted posted:

I have friends at work where I am the only one who uses the full version of their name even when everyone else abbreviates (eg names like Will and Joe I just stick with William and Joseph)
If I were Will or Joe, that would be my pet peeve.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Speaking of changing names, it's annoying on Twitter when folks change their names. It's an ever-fun game of "Wait, who are you?"

names and @handles are different and @handles never change

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Parasol Prophet posted:

Me too. Also: people who call me my last name despite being asked not to.

Just use the name someone wants to be called, people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Knit fabrics getting caught on protrusions as you walk past, leading to a tear or pulling your garment off or just pulling you the gently caress off your feet and onto your rear end like a moron.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Handles can and do change, but people rarely mess with that because it makes things very confusing. Usually you only see handles change on like, journalists that switch companies.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was about to bitch about how horrible this temporary iPhone I’ve been using is when it comes to wrongly autocorrecting the most basic things but it just autocorrected Enya to Arby’s and I laughed for a solid amount of time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EmmyOk posted:

I've changed my @handle several times

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I use the abbreviations on occasion, it just depends how I'm feeling.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

I use the abbreviations on occasion, it just depends how I'm feeling.

why not just use the names they prefer to be called by?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

a top floor apartment means heat rises and the sun is always shining on our unit so even tho it's like 70 out, it's 78+ inside and nothing is helping bc the AC is off until may and even 4 fans doesn't make a difference :^)))))

and the people below us started blasting music, how nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love being sweaty and angry

e: if i could afford a quiet secluded living situation oh you loving bet i would take it

e2: because it's been so hot, i tried sleeping with two fans (one was our older one which makes a lot of rumbly noises) to drown out the bath noise. it kind of worked but then the extra fan noises kept me from sleeping anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ i can't make more noise just to drown out the other noises, apparently. and i have ear wax issues that make earplugs uncomfortable/unsafe and i need to be able to hear my rats and the smoke alarm and the door, among other things. if the noise is so loud that i can feel it, earplugs don't help!

snoo has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Oct 20, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

if someone introduces themselves as "joe" and you call them "joseph" without, like, checking if that's a thing they're okay with, you're being incredibly weird. (also, if they introduce themselves as "joseph", you should ask before using "joe", some people don't like nicknames!)

hell, i know someone named Will who that's their actual name, not William, so if you called them William you'd actually be calling them something that isn't even their name. for no reason other than you "felt like it"!

calling people anything other than the name they introduce themselves with, without asking first, seems incredibly presumptuous to me :psyduck: it'd make me super uncomfortable if it happened to me, at least.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

someone awful. posted:

if someone introduces themselves as "joe" and you call them "joseph" without, like, checking if that's a thing they're okay with, you're being incredibly weird. (also, if they introduce themselves as "joseph", you should ask before using "joe", some people don't like nicknames!)

hell, i know someone named Will who that's their actual name, not William, so if you called them William you'd actually be calling them something that isn't even their name. for no reason other than you "felt like it"!

calling people anything other than the name they introduce themselves with, without asking first, seems incredibly presumptuous to me :psyduck: it'd make me super uncomfortable if it happened to me, at least.

It mainly depends on familiarity - when I first start working with people I often learn their names from the online work chats which tend to present as their full names. After a while of noticing what others call them I transition to the preferred abbreviation if I know what they are. Many of them sit no where near me so hearing their preferred name is rarer, so takes longer to learn. Before the familiarity set in Joe offhand mentioned that I was the only one who called him Joseph but didn't mind it. Also Will's seems to vary, I've heard both Will and Bill so tend to stick to Will now.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Oct 20, 2017

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

It mainly depends on familiarity - when I first start working with people I often learn their names from the online work chats which tend to present as their full names. After a while of noticing what others call them I transition to the preferred abbreviation if I know what they are. Many of them sit no where near me so hearing their preferred name is rarer, so takes longer to learn. Before the familiarity set in Joe offhand mentioned that I was the only one who called him Joseph but didn't mind it.

Okay, that I understand completely. I do the same thing at my call centre job. With customers, I typically just ask what they prefer to be called if there's an obvious contraction like Nicholas becoming Nick.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

It mainly depends on familiarity - when I first start working with people I often learn their names from the online work chats which tend to present as their full names. After a while of noticing what others call them I transition to the preferred abbreviation if I know what they are. Many of them sit no where near me so hearing their preferred name is rarer, so takes longer to learn. Before the familiarity set in Joe offhand mentioned that I was the only one who called him Joseph but didn't mind it. Also Will's seems to vary, I've heard both Will and Bill so tend to stick to Will now.

I can’t imagine why

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Me: "If you don't mind, put a lot of stuff in each bag, please. I'd rather have as few bags as possible."
Grocery Store Cashier: "Okay, sure."

*cashier proceeds to put three things in a bag before spinning the bag-dispenser-carousel-thing, even though the next four things she will put in the next bag could clearly fit in the first bag*

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

MisterBibs posted:

Me: "If you don't mind, put a lot of stuff in each bag, please. I'd rather have as few bags as possible."
Grocery Store Cashier: "Okay, sure."

*cashier proceeds to put three things in a bag before spinning the bag-dispenser-carousel-thing, even though the next four things she will put in the next bag could clearly fit in the first bag*

See, I have the opposite issue, where I bring multiple bags and they stick everything in one bag.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I love BioEnchanted to pieces but he does sound a little bit like Andy Dick's character in NewsRadio

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad we pack our groceries by ourselves here in Finland

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use self checkout always. 0 human contact. But those machines look like they are from the 90s and break all the time. Pretty sure it's Windows 98 underneath.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

everyone should watch NewsRadio btw, it is the best TV comedy ever made (barely edging out The Mary Tyler Moore Show)

e: I am not old, I just love old TV

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Even when I have my tablet set to "rotation locked", VLC totally ignores that and rotates the screen anyway.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

When other people have pet peeves about me and don't tell me, so I have to find out through other people who they've been bitching to. I didn't know it annoyed you that I leave my teaspoon on the sink! If you just told me I would stop doing it! But now it's a big drama because you've been building up resentment this whole time! Use your words! Aaaaaah!!!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

When you ask a question about doing some thing or other, and the response is "we can :shrug:" JFC it's the most infuriating, non-committal yet dismissive, passive-aggressive response possible. Give me a loving yes or no.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

See also: "Can I ask you a question?" "You just did :smug: "

gently caress those people. It's obvious I'm asking to see if you had a moment to spare or whatever. Being an insufferably smug prick just makes me want to pee on everything you own.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

gently caress those people. It's obvious I'm asking to see if you had a moment to spare or whatever. Being an insufferably smug prick just makes me want to pee on everything you own.

That's better than "I don't know, can you?".

Other peeve: people who refuse to take advice on using something they never used before from someone who has. I frustratedly watched 10 other theoretical physicists try and figure out how to work a coin operated game and fail. I kept telling them thats not going to work when they thought you had to hold down the coin return button as you put the coin in, or giving up after only one coin that got spit out. You have to at least try 5 or 10 times and with multiple coins before declaring the coin mechanism broken.

I don't know if it was a case of mass stupidity or what but it baffled me.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Oct 25, 2017

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Is there anything more irritating than some jackhole ordering you to do the thing you were about to do anyway? Like, seriously. You end up wanting to not do the thing you were going to do anyway, out of spite, and you just know they're like "Ha, I have authority!" and it boils my piss it does.

Also, it's started raining a lot here. gently caress umbrellas, gently caress everyone who uses umbrellas, especially gently caress people between five foot and five foot six who use umbrellas.. The UK is awash with tiny wee pavements, and it rains 2/3 of the time, and I am sick of defending my face from spikey umbrellas and having runoff poured onto me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If you are referring to me, they definitely weren't going to do what i was suggesting to do already. They just kept loving with the return button trying to get the "timing right".

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The word "exit" does not contain the letter G.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Is there anything more irritating than some jackhole ordering you to do the thing you were about to do anyway? Like, seriously. You end up wanting to not do the thing you were going to do anyway, out of spite, and you just know they're like "Ha, I have authority!" and it boils my piss it does.

I used to have a manager who would watch me walk to a light switch, get within ten feet with no where else to go, lift my hand, and at that point say "Oh Parasol, make sure you turn the lights off."

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sociopastry posted:

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
My pet peeve is gift-giving culture. The etiquette surrounding this is way too subtle for me.

I'm bewildered by friends that don't bring gifts to birthday parties (when all the food/drink/entertainment is paid for completely by the hosts) even though these same people were happily accepting gifts from me (and everybody else) at their own parties earlier in the year. I get that it's rude to ask for or expect gifts, but my last party kinda felt like a big, coordinated snub. (I didn't say anything to anyone about it, because that also feels rude.)

Or my side of the family, who doesn't "do" Christmas due to religious reasons, but still happily accepted my Xmas party invitation and gifts without bringing so much as a plate of cookies to share. Should I just not invite them again? Invite them and ask if they want to stay out of the exchange entirely this time? Invite them and say, "You ain't gettin' poo poo this time, so tell your 7-year-old to brace himself"?

And, how big of an rear end in a top hat will I be if I stop giving gifts to people I've given to for the last few years? I'm good friends with a couple and love shopping for them and they always make a big deal out of whatever I give them and how much they like it and how thoughtful it is, then maybe give me some little cheap, unwrapped thing a week or two later (last time I'm pretty sure it was something they already had lying around.) They always have a tree up with a big pile of beautiful gifts under it for...somebody? None of us have kids. At this point it feels like if I stop it will come off as a "gently caress you" and I don't want that.

I wish we as a society could just agree that only children and lovers get gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they didn't even bring some wine or something then they are just being cunts