Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Papercut posted:

You're loving insane.

For missing the Mikes or for thinking that Calabro is the most boring bland generic basketball commentator possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Mike and Mike was extremely bad

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

omae wa...

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Rick posted:

Like I think some of the moves are defensible in a vacuum, and like I'm not as down on the Suns' young players (except Bender) as Golliver (who really doesn't understand the dynamics of how young players play in the NBA despite being a major stat guy and summer league watcher somehow) but it's just so much gently caress up over now what is a pretty prolonged period of time. And you could argue it all stems from Lon Babby before that who basically pushed the Suns into the bad times with that awful conflict-of-interest Hedo trade and the attempt to low ball Nash into leaving (although that did end up in the Lakers trade which was obviously a good trade, although ultimately not for the Suns). I think Sarver needs to sell the team, and really, Suns fans should be on board with this since he's starting to grumble about moving the team.

E: and like I may not like the Suns, but I want them to be good. They're the local market team for me (at least in name, even though Sarver doesn't give a gently caress about Tucson) so I see them play 2-3 times a week so I want the basketball to be of quality. I actually agree they need a new arena. And I really do think that it's something that can be done. If there's one thing the city of Phoenix loves to do it's to gently caress up downtown for construction for years and to pass the expense on to taxpayers, it's only a matter of time until it's the Suns' turn for that to be done on their behalf and there's no point to play hardball to get it to happen.

Yeah I’ve defended some of McDonough’s moves in the past but the same poo poo keeps happening over and over. I couldn’t believe what he said on the radio about Bledsoe. I mean, they jerked him around during contract negotiations, consistently set him up to fail, and then as he was having a career year they shut him down in February so that they could draft his replacement. How in the hell do you go on the radio and tell the world that he’s not living up to his obligation to be a team leader?

To date, here are the players McDonough has alienated and trashed as they were out the door:

Goran Dragic
Channing Frye
IT
The Morris twins (I have mixed feelings about this but still)
Eric Bledsoe

I really thought hiring James Jones to be the assistant GM would help with player relations but apparently not.

We’re on our 3rd rebuild in 7 years and unless Marquese Chriss or Dragan Bender works out it’s going to happen again. I like Booker and Josh Jackson but I have no confidence in McDonough’s ability to build an actual team around them.

Speaking of Sarver selling the team, a gofundme got the money to put up this billboard in like 5 hours.
https://www.gofundme.com/SarverOut

It’s not going to do anything but the fanbase is clearly fed up.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 25, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

I feel like the Cavs don’t have a traditional C on their roster this year. Love is a stretch 4 who also happens to be one of the best rebounders in the league. You can play him at C if he doesn’t have to guard a bigger dude but he gets absolutely bodied on defense by anyone who is. And he also can in no way anchor a post defense allowing weaker perimeter defenders to channel.

In what way is Tristain Thompson not a "traditional center"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

eww 6'9" centers.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Dexo posted:

eww 6'9" centers.

Yeah Ben Wallace is gross af

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/WillGuillory/status/923199168767651841

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's some city/brand synergy right there.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah, that rules :toot:

First sponsor that makes sense, including the Harley-Davidson Bucks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

zelah posted:

For missing the Mikes or for thinking that Calabro is the most boring bland generic basketball commentator possible?

Mike and Mike were absolutely atrocious and how bad they were is only made more obvious by how much better the new guys are.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Undersized (Thompson is the exact same height/weight as Jeff Green).

Also he's shown bad effort on defense and bad effort on rebounding, all of the things that have been valid criticisms of his game for years and all the reasons the Cavs don't fully trust him to play the position right now.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah Ben Wallace is gross af

The Cavs could only dream of Thompson playing like Ben Wallace.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

The Cavs could only dream of Thompson playing like Ben Wallace.

You're right, they just have to live with him being the exact same height and weight

e: My point is that 6'9" with a 7 foot wingspan is, and always has been a center and Thompson sets screens and only scores around a basket.

I don't see a single argument on how he is not a traditional center.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 25, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
He has all the same flaws as Kevin Love and is nowhere near as good of a rebounder as him either.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't see a single argument on how he is not a traditional center.

He doesn't have a post game, the sine qua non of traditional centers.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

He has all the same flaws as Kevin Love and is nowhere near as good of a rebounder as him either.

I mean, given that Kevin Love is one of the best rebounders in the league that's kind of an unfair thing to knock him for. TT is a good rebounder, especially offensively.

dokmo posted:

He doesn't have a post game, the sine qua non of traditional centers.

Now I'm imagining him trying to do the dream shake and laughing at my desk

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ben Wallace was really closer to 6'7" without the afro. He was always considered undersized.

Thompson's game is very much that of a traditional 5 though.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Libertine posted:

Also he's shown bad effort on defense and bad effort on rebounding, all of the things that have been valid criticisms of his game for years and all the reasons the Cavs don't fully trust him to play the position right now.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Wait, does Fultz have Texter's Neck?

skinny kids get skinny neck hex

I'm really happy to see Fun Blake again, I really hope he doesn't get hurt. I guess we'll find out on Monday if the Clippers are for real or not, but honestly I feel like playing the Warriors is less of a "are you a contender" test than a "are you surgically designed to take advantage of the Warriors exceptionally few weaknesses and if not oh well" test. They play @SAS and @OKC in two weeks, I feel like that's a much better test.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ben Wallace was really closer to 6'7" without the afro. He was always considered undersized.

Thompson's game is very much that of a traditional 5 though.

Offense or defense? Cause his value is defensive and it's definitely not in the mold of a traditional center.

scuz posted:

gently caress yeah, that rules :toot:

First sponsor that makes sense, including the Harley-Davidson Bucks.

The Magic were literally already named after Disney

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what kind of advertiser would want their logo near Anthony Davis's face

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think you'll find that without his afro, shoes or socks, Ben Wallace was really more like 6'5".

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ben wallace is actually 3 corgi's standing on top of eachother under a blanket

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Sabonis with another perfect game I think we must ask the question is he the real mvp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/923212430586478593

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

The Magic were literally already named after Disney
So were the Angels and the Mighty Ducks but they don't have Disney's logo on 'em, is my point.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

a nice farm upstate

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ben wallace is actually 3 corgi's standing on top of eachother under a blanket

https://twitter.com/RachaelKrishna/status/923134256616009728

Checks out.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

scuz posted:

So were the Angels and the Mighty Ducks but they don't have Disney's logo on 'em, is my point.

The magic do

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/923213246131245057

Hinkie would have Fultz sealed in a hyperbaric chamber for nine months by now. A shameful GM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brolander posted:

a nice farm upstate

Not upstate enough that they don't blackout Spurs games for us

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SInow/status/923200186775756800

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Why didn't you do it, David?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-bulls-cavaliers-spt-1025-20171024-story.html

quote:

"Very confident," James said, repeating that twice. "Watched him a lot at Arizona. He wore my shoes a couple of times. He actually did. He wore my retros. I liked that. Had to stay up very late to watch those Arizona games. But can shoot the heck out of the ball. He's going to continue to get better.

"The best thing about it is he's getting an opportunity. So you can make mistakes and learn on the fly. He's going to play a lot because he's learning. He's a good player."

He also earned praise from Dwyane Wade.

"You can see if a guy knows how to play basketball when you first see him, right away," Wade said. "In the preseason, we all said he can play. No matter his age he can play. He's aggressive. He understands they need him to score."

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/923012821746565120

Lauri's gonna be great. The second best player of all time said it so it's true, he also wore Lebron's shoes. Instant Alpha status.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/923213246131245057

Hinkie would have Fultz sealed in a hyperbaric chamber for nine months by now. A shameful GM

https://twitter.com/KyleNeubeck/status/923210898013114368

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

the mean lunch lady posted:

Why didn't you do it, David?

was too busy burying bodies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wouldn't say Dwayne Wade is the second best player of all time

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
LeBron you don’t have retros what the hell

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Dexo posted:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-bulls-cavaliers-spt-1025-20171024-story.html

https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/923012821746565120

Lauri's gonna be great. The second best player of all time said it so it's true, he also wore Lebron's shoes. Instant Alpha status.

I know you're high on rose and all but he's not the second best player of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

scuz posted:

Idgi how does Disney not "make sense" as a sponsor.

I'm surprised more owners haven't bought their own patches for tax and accounting reasons

• Locked thread