Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So who's this mythical good coach who's going to take the Browns job? The place where you get fired after a bad year without fail.

The Rams got an excellent coach, because, hey, they've proven they're loyal... stupid loyal... real stupid loyal. (well okay, not to their fans, but to coaches? hella loyal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I'm just reminded of how awful everyone on the Rams offense looked last year. And then we find out - surprise! They're actually good players!

They also added a ton in the offseason, Whitworth and Sullivan on the O-line, Watkins, Woods and Kupp at receiver and Everett at TE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hue wasn't fired after a bad year

He's getting fired for two of the worst consecutive years on record in league history

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I'm just reminded of how awful everyone on the Rams offense looked last year. And then we find out - surprise! They're actually good players!

If you were to ask me at any point last year, I'd have told you the Rams had a better roster than the Browns, though

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

Hue wasn't fired after a bad year

He's getting fired for two of the worst consecutive years on record in league history

Just like Mike Pettine, Rob Chudzinski, Pat Shurmur and Eric Mangini.

They can and Hue probably deserves to get fired.

But they're going to have no other options but to hire another guy of that level, because anyone who has any hope of a successful NFL head coaching career is going to stay the gently caress away from the Browns, because they're poison.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Kalli posted:

So who's this mythical good coach who's going to take the Browns job? The place where you get fired after a bad year without fail.
Man I don't know. Anyone with dignity and a backbone will avoid that job like the plague.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

But they're going to have no other options but to hire another guy of that level, because anyone who has any hope of a successful NFL head coaching career is going to stay the gently caress away from the Browns, because they're poison.

I'm not disagreeing with this or that some of those names you listed should have gotten more chances. I definitely don't think they're doing better, no matter who they get. But in NFL history it is literally impossible to do worse than 1 win in 2 years

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Has he? Or is this just another case of awful coaching making players look awful.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think we overrate the role putting together a good draft board plays in team building. The Browns generally get decent marks from draftniks each year but yet their players all mysteriously bust.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

I don't know. Enough money and organizational control can go a long way.

Never thought last year's top candidate would go work under Jed York.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm not disagreeing with this or that some of those names you listed should have gotten more chances. I definitely don't think they're doing better, no matter who they get. But in NFL history it is literally impossible to do worse than 1 win in 2 years

I somewhat agree, but the thing is, the Browns aren't really trying to win right now. They're trying to un-gently caress their roster, which would explain a lot of the moves the front office made. Fixing the ol so you can kind of see if your young QB's have anything. Their receivers sucks, but injury / signing the wrong loving dude means they have nobody to throw to.

The problem there is Hue isn't playing that way, he's trying to save his job by jumping between his QB's, which is just an awful idea for Kizer's development.

So either the front office isn't on the same page as the coaching staff as far as what they're trying to do this year, Hue knows he'll be fired if he doesn't rack up some wins, or Hue doesn't know what the hell he's doing... and all of those point to dysfunction and another loving reset.

Man the Browns depress me.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought the Browns were supposed to have a top-tier O-line(before Joe Thomas went down), if that the truth and they draft a QB number 1 overall and land 2 of the like 20 WRs scheduled for free agency maybe they could have a good offense next year? I wouldn't trust Hue with any of that though.

Well, they give up a ton of sacks, but it's predominantly because the QB is holding the ball too long. They can't run block very well but I'm not sure if it is a product of bad line play or defenses not respecting the passing game. That seems likely since Kizer stares his receivers down and then overthrows them so it's not like he's going to shred anyone, thus they can stack the box against the run.

Kalli posted:

They never should have fired Mangini. His drafting sucked rear end, but the team was decent considering his QBs kept getting injured. However, that was a previous administration. They DEFINITELY should have not fired Chud. That was the immediate "Haslam doesn't know what he's doing" moment right out of the gate. When they hired Pettine and had to literally say "he's the best we could get", that should have been a giant red flag to the NFL to step in and do something about Haslam.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 25, 2017

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Kalli posted:

So either the front office isn't on the same page as the coaching staff as far as what they're trying to do this year, Hue knows he'll be fired if he doesn't rack up some wins, or Hue doesn't know what the hell he's doing... and all of those point to dysfunction and another loving reset.

Man the Browns depress me.

My vote goes to absurd dysfunction. Hue was ready to get Watson or Hooker at 12 and he got another trade down and a guy who couldn't stay on the field in college. Sashi had to be talked into the obviously correct decision at 1.

Haden gets tossed out the door for cap space that we didn't need to more rumours that Hue is pissed.

The roster is half guys with 2 or less years experience. Nobody was winning with this horse poo poo and the coaching staff somehow manages to look as inexperienced as their roster.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Luke kuechly is alive again.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

But for how long? :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bigass Moth posted:

They never should have fired Mangini.

Uh I dunno about this one. Mangini was a royal fuckup who ended up DESPISED by everybody everywhere he went. He ran the worst kind of Belichick cargo cult.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Uh I dunno about this one. Mangini was a royal fuckup who ended up DESPISED by everybody everywhere he went. He ran the worst kind of Belichick cargo cult.

Who was the worst Belichek-lite? Mangini, Josh McDaniels or the SCHIANO MEN

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Does anyone remember Brian Daboll, he looked like the head elf from a Christmas movie

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I love the discrepancy in success between Belichick and his poo poo rear end "disciples".

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

The Rams got an excellent coach, because, hey, they've proven they're loyal... stupid loyal... real stupid loyal. (well okay, not to their fans, but to coaches? hella loyal).

Also the Rams had to hire a 30 year old. Like, I don’t know if loyalty alone would have brought in someone with a more robust pedigree. And that might wind up being the Browns most viable option and hope they get a Mike Tomlinson or Sean McVay and not a Lane Kiffin.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

How awful is PFF at grading players?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Does anyone remember Brian Daboll, he looked like the head elf from a Christmas movie

He's cool and good

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

DariusLikewise posted:

How awful is PFF at grading players?

PFF loves every Browns draft and the roster.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fishing with the fam posted:

I love the discrepancy in success between Belichick and his poo poo rear end "disciples".

Belichik
1. Has the greatest QB of all time on his roster,
2. Is unbelievably good at scouting other teams and gameplanning against them,
3. Is great at adapting to whatever other schmucks he has on the field.
4. Has a way of motivating his team without being lax
5. Is kind of a gruff rear end in a top hat in public.

His coordinators, outside of the Patriots bubble, start off with #5 and have never handled 2-4, and sure as gently caress don't have 1. So you end up with some shmuck acting like the second coming without any of the skills or personnel to back it up. It's not very surprising, really.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

also he cheats

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah but can he remember his name?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Naturally Selected posted:

4. Has a way of motivating his team without being lax
I'm pretty sure motivating people while being lax is next to impossible

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

it is week 8 and i'm still Mad the colts ruined luck

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

News: Blake Bortles had the highest QBR this past weekend against the Colts, in Indy.

Views: It was against the Colts. Its QBR.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I didn't realize we had any homers left

https://twitter.com/FO_VVerhei/status/922921357507141632

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ehud posted:

also he cheats

He's really the best at this.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

agree with this. success, especially for a QB in the NFL is highly contextual on the team around you. Its why football is he ultimate team sport.

also apparently jeremy lane is mad about being benched for shaq griffen. Who wants to get a decent CB2/slot corner? Will take linemen plz

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

axeil posted:

Who was the worst Belichek-lite? Mangini, Josh McDaniels or the SCHIANO MEN

let's run down the candidates!

Charlie Weis (OC '01-'04)- HC Notre Dame and was okay until the players he recruited had to take over, then he sucked. Went and was an OC for KC for a year and got a good year out of Cassel, then went to Florida state as OC for a year and sucked, then took over Kansas and yikes.

Romeo Crennel (DC '01-'04) - Was Browns HC for 4 years, got them to 10 wins in that weird Derek Anderson year, but then it fell apart. Was DC for KC for 2 years, then became HC for 2, but the team fell apart and that Jovan Belcher thing happened right in front of his face. Then he's spent the last three years as DC / Assistant head coach for the Texans. So all in all, an excellent DC who was a mediocre to subpar head coach.

Eric Mangini (DC '05) - After one year, the Jets hired him, and he was HC for 3 years, then HC of the browns after Romeo Crennel. It is very confusing how he got either job and he was awful at both. He then went to the booth for a few years, then was the 49ers TE coach for the last two years of Harbaugh, then was Jim Tomsula's DC. Nobody's called since.

Josh McDaniels (OC '06-'08) - Broncos coach for two years, notable for running Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall out of town and being kind of a giant prick to everyone. Shouldn't have been given roster control. Left and was the Rams OC for 2011, until Bill O'Brien left, then he went back to New England.

Dean Pees - (DC '06-'09) - Got let go after two years of struggling defenses. Went to the Ravens as a LB coach for a few years, then got promoted to DC to Kawalimus's chagrin.

Bill O'Brien (OC '11, shadow OC for '09-10) - HC for 2 years post the pedophilic rape era of Penn State, then went to the Texans as HC.

=========================
So Romeo Crennel's had the most success, was good everywhere he went, and has had a real good career for himself. Charlie Weis was pretty much the opposite, but least successful has to be Eric Mangini. Dude got two jobs he had no business getting.

Also worth mentioning:

Scott Pioli (Effectively GM '01-'08) - Went to KC in '09 as GM and from reading the above, you can kinda guess what he did. Eventually went to Atlanta as an assistant GM and helped build that team, so hey, good on you Scott you overbearing weirdo rear end in a top hat.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 25, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Ches Neckbeard posted:

PFF loves every Browns draft and the roster.

Oh dang, they rated Mark Barron as the top run-stopping ILB and Alex Ogletree as the best pass-rushing ILB in the league

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/25/nfl-los-angeles-rams-mark-barron-alec-ogletree-pff-stats/

"Terrible! but has plenty of time to get get good someday"
"Always injured but probably the best wide receiver on the roster"
"Is currently the leading receiver on the team"

These are not great endorsements

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

also he cheats

I'm sure all of the Belichick football disease vectors COACHING TREE guys did it, given how they slavishly ape everything assholish about him. They just suck at that too.

Romeo is probably the exception since he's the one guy who didn't try to wear the ultimate rear end in a top hat mantle.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Is Belichick an rear end in a top hat to his players though, or just the media? The bits I've seen of him interacting with players he seems gruff, but not like he's more of a dick than any other HC.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

sean10mm posted:

Did Ginn ever develop actual football skills?

Let's go to the tape! Can't find the tape, this will have to suffice:

quote:

Ginn said he felt compelled to make a big impact on offense Sunday after his sloppy start on special teams. He muffed two punts on a cold, rainy afternoon at Lambeau Field, though the first muff was nullified by a penalty and he recovered the second one himself.
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/69529/saints-ted-ginn-jr-blazing-his-way-toward-career-highs-in-catches-yards

Actually, here we are: https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4hl...aintsfair.0.gif

...I think Payton is good at using Ginn, but he still drops poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Freaquency posted:

Is Belichick an rear end in a top hat to his players though, or just the media? The bits I've seen of him interacting with players he seems gruff, but not like he's more of a dick than any other HC.

He was apparently a dick to Kony Ealy lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Freaquency posted:

Yeah he's gruff, but he jokes around with his veterans a lot. He's also an rear end in a top hat about contracts, but that's the GM's job, and he is that, so *shrug*.

There was a bit in one of the books where a bunch of newer players shared anecdotes where they were really confused because he would occasionally crack a joke at them, but none of them knew if he was actually joking or not.

This was a good bit about Matt Light loving with Belichick:

quote:

Matt Light played for the Patriots from 2001-11, which means he's a three-time Super Bowl winner. But that feat is no longer the best accomplishment of Light's career. His greatest moment as an NFL player is officially the time he tricked Brandon Meriweather into forcing his bar tab on Bill Belichick at the Pro Bowl.

Apparently, at Meriweather's first Pro Bowl after the 2009 season, he was drinking at a pool bar with a couple of Pro Bowl veterans. So Light went up to his teammate and told him to give his bar tab to Bill Belichick, who was coaching the AFC.

"[Meriweather]'s kind of the young guy, kind of the odd man out, and he's not saying much," Light said. "He's just laughing, joining in the festivities. And I walked over to him and -- I saw him order a drink from the waitress -- I said, 'Hey man, you do know that you can put all this on Bill's room, right?' Now you've got to remember, Belichick and the entire staff were coaching the AFC.

"Now, I go up there saying that just busting his chops. I didn't really know what was going to happen, but I figured I'd plant that seed. He looks at me and he says, 'Are you serious?' And I'm like, 'Yeah, man. You don't ever pay for your drinks when your coach is here coaching.' I'm like, 'Come one. Come on, rook.' So I walk away. I'm not thinking anything of it."

A few hours later, Light watched as a Meriweather walked up to Belichick and his girlfriend, Linda Holliday, with his drink check to thank him for picking up his tab.
"I literally witnessed him walk up to Bill with his check, like the little card that has your bill in it, and hand it to coach Belichick and say, 'Hey, thank you coach. I appreciate you,' in a way only that he could do it," Light said. "Like you could imagine what that conversation looked like.

"And I'll never forget -- Bill's looking at him like, 'What are you talking about?' But Linda's like, 'Go ahead, take care of the tab. Help him out, right?' It was the most uncomfortable awkward moment I've ever witnessed with coach."

According to Light, Meriweather was "well-served" and in "rare form," so that bar tab probably wasn't the cheapest.

E: VVV yeah, I agree. I mean, at this point he's got such a ridiculous resume, he absolutely deserves another chance, and teams will probably desperately want him. Hopefully not desperate enough to give him personnel control though.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 25, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I feel like McDaniels could maybe be a competent head coach one day. He was still way too young and immature to be given full roster control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Zerilan posted:

I feel like McDaniels could maybe be a competent head coach one day. He was still way too young and immature to be given full roster control.
Pat Bowlen giving McDaniels complete control of the organization was one of the first signs he was entering dementia

• Locked thread