Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GlyphGryph posted:

Can you point it out? I've been trying my best to follow things, and I haven't seen it. Maybe it just got drowned out.

Launched task force to, uh, come up with proposals:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/29/democrats-election-security-task-force-russian-hackers-240113

Social media ad rules, to counteract the major meddling enterprise (other than the DNC hack, probably) the public knows about :

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-19/russia-probes-spur-lawmakers-on-election-security-social-media

Bill to automagically impose sanctions on foreign entities that try to fool around in US elections beyond acceptably deniable parameters:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/311400-dems-propose-sanctions-for-foreign-election-meddling

I thought there was also something about voting machine security but I guess it disappeared into the netherworld. Might still count as Democrats proposing a thing though, even if it never made it into bill form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Talmonis posted:

Are they creating ransomware and using it on civilians and companies based in the U.S, or "just" spying on our government?

I believe it is mostly the latter.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Russians rigged* our election because they're mad that we... collapsed their government then rigged their elections.

*made some facebook posts about

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Nanomashoes posted:

The Russians rigged* our election because they're mad that we... collapsed their government then rigged their elections.

The US did not have the ability to collapse the Soviet Union. Russia's only power in the US comes from having willing patsies to amplify and legitimize their efforts.

These narratives are both bad in that they take agency away from native actors.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm not concerned about Russians specifically so much as our apparent desire to not secure our elections against internet based tampering in general.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/923214548886282240

Voters are dumb and have the memory of humming birds. Another reason we get the government we deserve.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Shbobdb posted:

I believe it is mostly the latter.

TBH, I don't really care as much about espionage between governments. Every country with the capacity does it, and always has. It's a standard factor in geopolitics. But it's the screwing with civilian populations that I get angry about, regardless of who is doing it. I know the U.S. is responsible for most of the poor state of South American countries due to their actions during the cold war, and don't want a repeat or continuation of that kind of thing from anyone.

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/923214548886282240

Voters are dumb and have the memory of humming birds. Another reason we get the government we deserve.

I mean, in comparison it's difficult not to see Bush in a rose tinted light. Right now, if you could tell me that we could replace Trump and Co. with Bush and his crew, I'd fall over myself scrambling to do it. And that's considering all the awful poo poo he got up to.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 25, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RuanGacho posted:

I'm not concerned about Russians specifically so much as our apparent desire to not secure our elections against internet based tampering in general.

Or modernize our online infrastructure, or uphold effective cybersecurity measures, or etc.

mcmagic posted:

The normalization of Bush versus Trump has not helped matters and in general has been Very Bad. There wasn't nearly as much reason to give Bush credit for the minor opposition he gave to Trump because he's not actually holding office, and yet people tripped over themselves to talk about how great he is.

Ditto Mitt Romney.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nanomashoes posted:

I'm sure the charter schools both parties are pushing for will teach students the critical thinking skills needed to discern what's real and fake on social media.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Iraq war was bad, but at least it wasn't murder.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Ditto Mitt Romney.

It's as if Bain Capital only worked because it sounded scary and no one actually understood the fundamental problem with his involvement.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Office Pig posted:

It's as if Bain Capital only worked because it sounded scary and no one actually understood the fundamental problem with his involvement.

Also Democrats had hollywood release The Dark Knight Rises to drive the point home.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

steinrokkan posted:

:thunk: I daresay the Iraqis would beg to differ.

(I suspect I've just missed the joke here).

Office Pig posted:

I mean the Bain Capital attacks at the time all fundamentally bought into the Job Creator myth, asserting that Romney was unfit for office because he decided to get into the business of layoffs instead of Job Creation. They never crossed the fundamental line into an actual critique of capital or shareholder dilemmas or what have you.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

???

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

steinrokkan posted:

I saw that tweet

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Talmonis posted:

TBH, I don't really care as much about espionage between governments. Every country with the capacity does it, and always has. It's a standard factor in geopolitics. But it's the screwing with civilian populations that I get angry about, regardless of who is doing it. I know the U.S. is responsible for most of the poor state of South American countries due to their actions during the cold war, and don't want a repeat or continuation of that kind of thing from anyone.

I mean, in comparison it's difficult not to see Bush in a rose tinted light. Right now, if you could tell me that we could replace Trump and Co. with Bush and his crew, I'd fall over myself scrambling to do it. And that's considering all the awful poo poo he got up to.

We didn't stop loving with Latin America after the Cold War :ssh:

Also, bush loving sucks and no amount of trumps make him look good

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

We didn't stop loving with Latin America after the Cold War We have hosed with Latin America since the literal beginning and are presently doing it and it sucks. :ssh:

Like for real I think the only time I can think of that we were vaguely nice to our neighbors was during the Good Neighbor policy at best.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Lightning Knight posted:

Like for real I think the only time I can think of that we were vaguely nice to our neighbors was during the Good Neighbor policy at best.

You forgot about Poland!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

:thunk: I daresay the Iraqis would beg to differ.

(I suspect I've just missed the joke here).

Chris Hayes said nothing Trump has done so far is as bad as Iraq then got a bunch of replies in that vein.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shbobdb posted:

You forgot about Poland!

I don’t follow. I specifically meant our Latin American neighbors, sorry if I caused confusion.

Motto posted:

Chris Hayes said nothing Trump has done so far is as bad as Iraq then got a bunch of replies in that vein.

Ah ok. Lmao.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Talmonis posted:

This is terrifically ahistorical and bad opinion.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Talmonis posted:

Nothing that Trump has done has been as harmful as the Iraq war, No Child Left Behind, the prohibition on medicare negotiating drug prices, the withdrawal from the Kyoto protocol (which was far more significant than the Paris climate accords), or the requirements that all anti-AIDS funding involve abstinence only education and anti-prostitution efforts.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mcmagic posted:

Yeah keep in mind even if you replaced Trump with Generic R at this point that means A) more inequality and environmental damage across the board and B) more Rs appointed to departments to accomplish A.

Many D politicians are bad, but all R politicians are bad.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

farraday posted:

You know, dems focused on Russia has a mythical op ed wisdom quality about it I’m not sure is actually reflected by reality. Examples?

I think it's mostly the media/pundit class of Dems rather than rank and file Democratic politicians.

Thanks for this, looking them over now... this is much better to talk about than the stupider half of the anti-Russia conversation imo.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The task force will hold hearings, collect data on state-level election hacks, and interview election officials and cybersecurity experts. Ultimately, the group aims to turn its findings into legislation.

“Unless we act, they will do this again,” Pelosi said.[/url]]

Wait, I thought there was no evidence of actual state level election hacking? I know the party's info and e-mails got hacked, but that doesn't really seem legislation related... are they creating a committee to study the one bit of this problem that didn't actually happen, or am I misunderstanding this? Or did it turn out the actual votes and stuff were hacked at all?

quote:

Social media ad rules, to counteract the major meddling enterprise (other than the DNC hack, probably) the public knows about :

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-19/russia-probes-spur-lawmakers-on-election-security-social-media

This seems good, but also... weird? It says the ads being run as they were are already illegal under current law, now they just need to... disclose the illegality? No, wait, it looks like it only targets ads funded by domestic sources... Seems good, but not sure how it relates to the problem at hand. Does it actually result in any consequences, or is this just making things easier to complain about?

quote:

Bill to automagically impose sanctions on foreign entities that try to fool around in US elections beyond acceptably deniable parameters:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/311400-dems-propose-sanctions-for-foreign-election-meddling

Ugh, I actively dislike this one.

This was a lot more disappointing than I had hoped, drat. Seems weak as gently caress. Surely someone must be pushing for more criminal consequences for domestic collaborators with increased and improved enforcement of election laws and poo poo, right? Stuff that might actually have uncovered stuff early enough and acted quick enough to nip all this in the bud?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

joepinetree posted:

Nothing that Trump has done has been as harmful as the Iraq war, No Child Left Behind, the prohibition on medicare negotiating drug prices, the withdrawal from the Kyoto protocol (which was far more significant than the Paris climate accords), or the requirements that all anti-AIDS funding involve abstinence only education and anti-prostitution efforts.

Torture and shredding the Geneva Convention should be mentioned here too.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

joepinetree posted:

That was over eight years. This poo poo boulder is just starting to roll downhill, and it's only been nine months.

mcmagic posted:

I guess this depends on just how afraid you are of the white supremacist movement getting the candidate of their dreams elected, and having him run intereference for them. Or getting into a pissing match with North Korea and threatening nuclear war.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Pre-9/11 Bush was saber rattling against loving CHINA.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

He also was just a greedy prick, and not an unstable manchild with a raging inferiority complex.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Torture and shredding the Geneva Convention should be mentioned here too.

All the terrible stuff that Bush did can fill multiple encyclopedias.

I was working for a public policy evaluation firm at the time. Bush appointees were just as ideological, incompetent and unrelated to the subject matters that they controlled as Trump appointees.

Hell, even in terms of just optics, this whole rehabilitation of Bush is ridiculous. Even in campaign terms nothing that Trump has done is quite as dishonest as swift boat veterans, the things that they did to Max Cleland in Georgia, or cynically pushing ballot measures on same sex marriage in several states to drive up evangelical voting.

Edit:

Talmonis posted:

That was over eight years. This poo poo boulder is just starting to roll downhill, and it's only been nine months.

I guess this depends on just how afraid you are of the white supremacist movement getting the candidate of their dreams elected, and having him run intereference for them. Or getting into a pissing match with North Korea and threatening nuclear war.

By this time in Bush's first term he had already withdrawn from the Kyoto protocol (much more significant than the mostly symbolic Paris accords), had already decided internally to invade Iraq, was already drafting the abstinence only and anti-prostitution requirements for AIDS funding, had already passed no child left behind, had already passed massive tax cuts to the rich, had already created the office of faith based initiatives, had appointed John Negroponte as UN ambassador, and was about to sign the patriot act.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 25, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Seriously, gently caress anyone trying to rehabilitate W's image. He and his entire circle were monsters.

Also, I just today found out exactly how Gaddafi died and it puts Hillary's gloating into a whole new light. :magical:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Talmonis posted:

He also was just a greedy prick, and not an unstable manchild with a raging inferiority complex.

Ummm.

Are you sure about that?

Because the Casus Belli for Iraq was basically "crippling daddy issues".

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

crimes against humanity are a step above murder, a good post

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

well, if you recall, the first sort of major diplomatic kerfuffle of the bush administration was the midair collision of a navy ep-3e aries ii intel plane with a plan fighter jet over hainan so

it wasn’t completely contextless

it was still stupid as hell tho

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Falstaff posted:

Seriously, gently caress anyone trying to rehabilitate W's image. He and his entire circle were monsters.

Also, I just today found out exactly how Gaddafi died and it puts Hillary's gloating into a whole new light. :magical:

Nah, dude, the overarching goal of a Liberal is to find a "good" Republican and then have that Republican embrace them.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Falstaff posted:

For those unaware, Gaddafi was literally sodomized with a bayonet and Hillary's response was to gloat triumphantly about how "we came, we saw, he died!"

Seriously, gently caress Hillary Clinton and all her supporters

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Huzanko posted:

Nah, dude, the overarching goal of a Liberal is to find a good Republican.

I think that the Flake situation encapsulates this perfectly.
Flake voted with Trump 92% of the time. That 8% disagreement was enough to get Flake primaried and unpopular among Republicans. Meanwhile, a huge number of democrats are willing to completely overlook that 92% score as long as he makes a strongly worded speech and changes nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Flake continues to be just as lovely but at some point runs as a democrat (like Crist, Specter, etc).

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Ummm.

Are you sure about that?

Because the Casus Belli for Iraq was basically "crippling daddy issues".

The Casus Belli for Iraq was a handout to Halliburton for services rendered.

joepinetree posted:

All the terrible stuff that Bush did can fill multiple encyclopedias.

I was working for a public policy evaluation firm at the time. Bush appointees were just as ideological, incompetent and unrelated to the subject matters that they controlled as Trump appointees.

Hell, even in terms of just optics, this whole rehabilitation of Bush is ridiculous. Even in campaign terms nothing that Trump has done is quite as dishonest as swift boat veterans, the things that they did to Max Cleland in Georgia, or cynically pushing ballot measures on same sex marriage in several states to drive up evangelical voting.

Jesus, you people don't have nearly the level of horror you should at the current situation. We have a guy who is encouraging his cult-like followers to attack protesters, openly enabling and running interference for white supremacists, using hate crime laws and the justice department to persecute BLM, dismantling the EPA from within via a hostile director, threatening the media with revoking their license and general intimidation and once again, threatening nuclear war. This is only after 10 months. Bush was terrible and a monster. That's what makes it so stark, just how horrifying this man is.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
One of the times Flake broke with Trump is voting against disaster relief for Puerto Rico, I believe. So even when he’s against Trump, he’s still bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Democrazy posted:

The US did not have the ability to collapse the Soviet Union. Russia's only power in the US comes from having willing patsies to amplify and legitimize their efforts.

These narratives are both bad in that they take agency away from native actors.

you realize hollywood literally made a movie about how you rigged the russian elections, right

• Locked thread