Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nilbop posted:

All I hear about him makes me wonder how he was ever deemed worthy of it, because nobody has ever talked about Dan Slott’s Amazing Spider-Man the way they talk about Aaron’s Thor or Bendis’ Ultimate Spidey.

Depends on which ultimate spidey we're talking. I enjoyed, despite its ups and downs, all of ultimate Peter Parker. Bendis is really erratic with Miles, and as frustrating as it is to admit I still don't think the character is where he needs to be yet. Miles is never going to replace Peter, but his own story is still just missing something. That said, it's been on an uptick as of late. Maybe Bendis is back on track, I dunno.

Comparing Bendis to Slott, uh...both have had some really dumb ideas, both have managed to salvage a decent story out of a bad idea. Both have had their characters written better by others at times, and both have committed ridiculous missteps/executed some story beats laughably in the search for a big wow moment (Otto as Spider-Man, having to quickly get Mary Jane out of that situation, Ultimate Peter is dead........oh poo poo the universe is ending actually he's been alive this whole time but now he's going to ride off into the sunset to die later when everything ends.), so I guess my point is I bitch about both authors occasionally, but they're probably a bit more similar than I realized until you posted. So thanks for that.

The worst I've heard of Aaron's Thor is "not bad," which is glowing recommendation if I've ever heard one online.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shinjobi posted:

Depends on which ultimate spidey we're talking. I enjoyed, despite its ups and downs, all of ultimate Peter Parker. Bendis is really erratic with Miles, and as frustrating as it is to admit I still don't think the character is where he needs to be yet. Miles is never going to replace Peter, but his own story is still just missing something.

His own story is loving dead now that he shares a world with an alive Peter Parker.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
His story died before then when Bendis decided every other character in Miles' book was more interesting than he was

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I finished Walt Simonson's Thor last night, and now I want to read even more Thor comics

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Roth posted:

I finished Walt Simonson's Thor last night, and now I want to read even more Thor comics

That is what is driving me towards getting Marvel Unlimited, as I really, really want to reread it, and some of the earlier Thor stuff. Thor is my favorite hero I've barely read.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

That is what is driving me towards getting Marvel Unlimited, as I really, really want to reread it, and some of the earlier Thor stuff. Thor is my favorite hero I've barely read.

If you got the money for it, there is no reason not to get Marvel Unlimited. I have read well over 1,000+ USD worth of comics, maybe 10,000+, for only 10 USD per month.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

Have you read Aaron's run? Or the later parts of Kirby/Lee?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Bit out of the blue, but is Death of Wolverine worth a read? The preview on Marvel’s app looks really good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nilbop posted:

Bit out of the blue, but is Death of Wolverine worth a read? The preview on Marvel’s app looks really good.

Is it the Last part of Paul Cornell’s run on Wolverine or the Limited series.
Both are okay stories, with good endings that make the story better. But they both go in different directions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DoW is Charles Soule and really good.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

If I was a reviewer, I'd give Death of Wolverine a strong B+. It's nice and covers a lot of the character history in just 4 issues.

I do wonder why original Wolverine is coming back already. Was Old Man Logan less popular than expected?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They needed something to drive Legacy sales.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do wonder how long Old Man Logan is for this world with OG Logan coming back. the other characters that sorta take his place have a secondary gimmick that's better than "him, but old."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only good spiderman is newspaper-spiderman

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good money says he's going back to his universe soon. Or more likely, an altered reality where his family is alive so he gets a happy ending.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only good spiderman is newspaper-spiderman

How quickly you forget Spidey Super Stories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SilverSupernova posted:

How quickly you forget Spidey Super Stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QhYieJ7Zog

Nothing weird about a man in a mask and full body suit who the papers constantly call a menace just hanging around a school for no apparent reason.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not sure what everybody thinks of it here, but JMS' Thor is a lot of fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

Not sure what everybody thinks of it here, but JMS' Thor is a lot of fun.

This was my introduction to Thor, and I enjoyed it. I don't think the general opinion of that ruin is very positive here, though. It didn't help that JMS JMS'd the ending.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I just finished it, and that wad a straight up nothing ending.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't really love that JMS took Thor and the Asgardians away from high-fantasy, advanced-society Kirbyesque aesthetics and emphasized their more medieval/Viking traits until they were nothing more than barbarians playing at civility. At one point Volstagg flat-out tells some humans that they just fling their poo poo over their walls in Asgard instead of using toilets and it's like...nope. Time-out. Undo. Abort.

Still, I will say that there were some great stories and writing to come out of those issues.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I really liked the interaction of rural everyday Americans with Asgardian high fantasy, although a lot of the best moments from it weren't from JMS.

There's a scene in Prince of Power where the people of Broxton have been holding a food drive for Asgard after all the damage it took in the Siege crossover.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

TwoPair posted:

*side note, has anybody but Gillen used Arno Stark since the end of that run? You'd think Bendis or someone would throw out a line about how Arno went to his home planet or something.

Nope, just like nobody has mentioned Ian Rogers since Remender left.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Horrible Taste posted:

I feel like you could make a really good super team from all these forgotten b-listers.

Hell, that's what Secret Warriors was when Bendis and Hickman were still in their prime.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Arno was in that secret wars tiein armor wars or whatever it was called, if that counts

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I feel like Arno got mentioned at least once in Bendis' Ironman, pre Civil War 2: Precog Boogaloo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

I don't really love that JMS took Thor and the Asgardians away from high-fantasy, advanced-society Kirbyesque aesthetics and emphasized their more medieval/Viking traits until they were nothing more than barbarians playing at civility. At one point Volstagg flat-out tells some humans that they just fling their poo poo over their walls in Asgard instead of using toilets and it's like...nope. Time-out. Undo. Abort.

Still, I will say that there were some great stories and writing to come out of those issues.

Honestly, that joke just made me laugh, but I have a really low brow sense of humor.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Horrible Taste posted:

Wasn't Ian killed off after Falcon became the new Cap? He also had a Secret Wars mini.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kaleidoscope posted:

Wasn't Ian killed off after Falcon became the new Cap? He also had a Secret Wars mini.

That's the thing, his Secret Wars mini spun directly out of his death. It turns out it was a fakeout, he survived, got transported to a HYDRA earth on Battleworld, then at the end got on some magic elevator with an alternate Steve Rogers' kid that was supposed to take him back to Earth(-616) right before Battleworld blew up. So theoretically he should be alive. But, as was mentioned, nobody gives a poo poo.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Tony's mom comes from Gillen's run in an arc literally titled "The Secret Origin of Tony Stark". Well, that's not entirely correct. Gillen just made the reveal that Tony wasn't Howard and Maria's biological son*, he never said who the parents were. Bendis made the mom in... I think International Iron Man because I never read it and that's the only IM book I haven't read/enjoyed in a while.

*side note, has anybody but Gillen used Arno Stark since the end of that run? You'd think Bendis or someone would throw out a line about how Arno went to his home planet or something.

I haven't read any Iron Man post-Secret Wars except Infamous, but aside from the Ultimates/Secret Wars' evil dick Arno, The One True Stark was at the very least in Waid's Science Bros tie-in to Original Sins, where Banner tricks Arno into modifying the Extremis used to save his life after Betsy tried to kill him so that the Hulk has all of his intelligence, which he uses to out-smart Tony and literally beat up Troy, Arno/Tony's city that turns into a mech.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel did a comic for Synchrony Bank which features Thor (Odinson) demanding a free hot dog for saving the earth multiple times over.

http://read.marvel.com/#/labelbook/46862

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I guess a bank is technically less evil than a weapons manufacturer/PMC.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

NICK FURY (whispers): Hawkeye has more money than you.
THOR: N..no! (Drops hammer)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Was Original Sin one of the really bad events?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Roth posted:

Was Original Sin one of the really bad events?

Yes, so's Sixis

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Original Sin wasn't terrible. It wasn't great, but it was better than, say, Fear Itself.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I personally say Original Sin was fine- it actually didn't feel like it completely derailed everything else, just said 'here, you all need to figure out some odd twist to write into your story'

The Mighty Avengers tie-in was GREAT.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's mostly bad because of the dumb whisper and how it didn't really lead to anything outside of setting up Jane Foster Thor (which could've been set up way better).

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

It's mostly bad because of the dumb whisper and how it didn't really lead to anything outside of setting up Jane Foster Thor (which could've been set up way better).

The Whisper works a lot better if you were following Jason Aaron's run from the beginning. It was made clear with his fight with Gore the god butcher that he had deep insecurities about the nature of gods and their necessity in the universe. Hearing from a mortal that he trusted who had the cosmic awareness of Uatu that his insecurities were right ruined his connection to humanity which Jason Aaron has been building up and continues to build up to be the main thing that makes Thor worthy, the fact that he does give a poo poo about Mortals more than any other God in the Marvel Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel did a comic for Synchrony Bank which features Thor (Odinson) demanding a free hot dog for saving the earth multiple times over.

http://read.marvel.com/#/labelbook/46862

I'd say he deserves it, imo

• Locked thread